Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Who's Next - aka New Manager Speculation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    My concern there is its stated Milicic wasn't considered as he wanted to bring his own backroom staff. That means Merrick has to work with what we have. I believe we need a fresh start right through with Merrick making the call on who he works with.
    Maybe Merrick wanted to work with them?

They all have at least a year on their contract. if we pay them out of the allocated Football Department budget, it reduces the amount we can use to attract a marquee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
    Hello Newcastle Jets fans. I have just read about the Steve Kean story, and thought it was my civic duty to warn you all not to hire this man. He is poison. He is complicit in the destruction of Blackburn Rovers, a willing tool for some of Britain's dodgiest agents and has blamed fans for his ineptitude, and even his drink driving ban.

Being a bad manager is one thing, but with Kean in charge, your club will be open to all sorts of odd transfers with seemingly excessive add ons, and allegations of corrupt practices. And you will still be bottom of the table. He will alienate senior players and replace them with inferior dobbins who have the right agents. I could give you more details, but it would be a 10,000 dissertation.

Re MFKS: Jack Walker was a local man who bought the club because he was a fan, so it was subtly different a manufactured club like that one in Melbourne owned by the Arabs who own Manchester City for example. And, until 1995, Blackburn had won as many league titles as Tottenham Hotspur, a so called big club, and the FA cup on many occasions. Unlike the A league, or football teams in New Zealand, the club has a long history.
    Wow!

The fact a fan who supports a team in a completely different league looks to track down our forum, register, know that Griff scored the winner in the Grand Final and post this says a lot about the feelings towards this manager.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

They all have at least a year on their contract. if we pay them out of the allocated Football Department budget, it reduces the amount we can use to attract a marquee.
    Marquee??

Get the basics right

Merrick deserves competent staff around him to get the job done

What sort of bullshit is it that we give rookie coaches blokes like Zane as a 2IC??

Give the bloke a gig at the EJ and get some competence in there

Merrick is already behind the 8ball with this club already
    Get the staff and resources around him properly

Banned
    Wow!

The fact a fan who supports a team in a completely different league looks to track down our forum, register, know that Griff scored the winner in the Grand Final and post this says a lot about the feelings towards this manager.
    Either that or a multi

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    official club email makes it official

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Marquee??

Get the basics right

What sort of bullshit is it that we give rookie coaches blokes like Zane as a 2IC??

Again we are all making assumptions - we don't know really what is happening yet. One of Ernie's qualities is he will come here and do an assessment. He will see what works and what doesn't and make changes accordingly. Coming in and completely changing the backroom would show Milicic's lack of experience. He needs to surround himself with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    Sweep on what time the "Merrick Out" thread gets posted and by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    Wow. That's a surprise appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Marquee??

Get the basics right

McKinna said to us on Friday the club had money aside for a marquee and I am just offering an alernative perspective.

Banned
    McKinna said to us on Friday the club had money aside for a marquee and I am just offering an alernative perspective.
    Having a marquee or getting the structure around the club right is the priority??

To me a marquee means **** all
    It just something glittery and shiny and an illusion

Get the rest of the club functioning correctly then in time add a marquee as the cherry on the cake

Giving the club a marquee is just like a politicians election bribe from the Gypo CeO and the Chinese Lightsalesman

Useless really in the grand scheme of things but just something to dazzle the dumb ****s

I would assume the decision with Milicic and backroom staff is probably one based around wages for those staff, and some others in backroom currently would also be on working contracts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Again we are all making assumptions - we don't know really what is happening yet. One of Ernie's qualities is he will come here and do an assessment. He will see what works and what doesn't and make changes accordingly. Coming in and completely changing the backroom would show Milicic's lack of experience. He needs to surround himself with friends.
    No he doesn't need to surround himself with friends

He needs to actually surround himself with competence

I ask you this what has Zane achieved to warrant constantly getting gigs at this club??

It's quite possible and I thought the same. That MFKS can't grasp the concept makes it all the more likely

Of course Merrick should be able to appoint his backroom staff, but given the option of payouts vs spend on players I can see Ernie opting for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Arnold has done it at every club he's been at.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    My concern there is its stated Milicic wasn't considered as he wanted to bring his own backroom staff. That means Merrick has to work with what we have. I believe we need a fresh start right through with Merrick making the call on who he works with.
    Milicic didnt want Zane as his assistant, but I think that if Zane was to go Lawrie would have had to pay him out which I dont think Lee wanted to do, since we've been paying out everyone

I also think that our backrroom satff are actually quite good however stifled by Jones who was said to be a control freak and did not take advice from his staff members

Quote Originally Posted by evanhayes5 View Post
    I also think that our backrroom satff are actually quite good
    How can you judge this? years of failure suggests to me otherwise.

Have we had the same backroom staff throughout?

Van Startten help nurtured Birighitti, thought did well with Duncan. I think our Physio has done well, most of injuries that occurred were contact injuries I think only Kokko's early injury in pre-season and Vujica's injury were muscular. This is the first season we've had a Strength and Conditioning coach, we've played better towards end of games meaning fitness is there. I think its unfair to judge backroom staff because off the failures of a coach.

Banned
    Milicic didnt want Zane as his assistant, but I think that if Zane was to go Lawrie would have had to pay him out which I dont think Lee wanted to do, since we've been paying out everyone

I also think that our backrroom satff are actually quite good however stifled by Jones who was said to be a control freak and did not take advice from his staff members
    So what exactly is it that Zane brings to the table.

Watching his side's in the NPL they are the weakest we have fielded

Not one of the current batch will make it to the HAL

I can't for the life of me see many he has actually improved either

He has no runs on the board anywhere yet we keep finding him a gig

Have we had the same backroom staff throughout?

Van Startten help nurtured Birighitti, thought did well with Duncan. I think our Physio has done well, most of injuries that occurred were contact injuries I think only Kokko's early injury in pre-season and Vujica's injury were muscular. This is the first season we've had a Strength and Conditioning coach, we've played better towards end of games meaning fitness is there. I think its unfair to judge backroom staff because off the failures of a coach.
    Good post. We can't just assume everyone behind the scenes was as bad as the coach. Plus I thought Kokko's early season problems came with him from o/s and then compounded in China thanks to Trani. Anyway, there might not be a need to cleanout the entire backroom staff. I would have liked Merrick to have his say on whether he brings in his own assistant though.