Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Next - aka New Manager Speculation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Interesting the article in the Herald today about the druggos having faith in their coach and seeking stability and showing patience with their plans to resurrect their fortunes

Considering the bloke has had 2 wins ever in 30 something games and oversaw a 20 game losing streak it is amazing they can show patience and not seek and instant fix unlike the idiots at Jets HQ
    When they eventually get an owner, let's see how patient they are if the results continue. His job is only safe as the NRL don't want to pay him out.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Whether the Knights are owned by the NRL has little to do with it.

They have a plan and are sticking to it. They are blooding locals and trying to rebuild the club that way.
    That is the method they have chosen

On the other hand we have the Jets who let's face it have no plan at all

Giving Jones 2 years and sacking him after 12 is not planned it is reactive

Signing players for next season Georgevski Petratos I Caravan etc is a sign that Jones was not getting the arse until recent form created the need

This club has no ****ing plan in place and can't see further than their ****ing nose
    I don't follow the Knights closely. But I read one article this morning that said they tried to sign Matt Scott (a QLDer) who eventually stayed with Nth Qld. They tried to sign Jack Bird from Cronulla before the Broncos came in with more money. They signed some promising youngster from Nth Qld who'll join next season. They're talking to Keiran Foran who isn't even Australian, let alone local. Throw in Jamie Buhrer (Manly) and Rory Kostjasyn (Nth Qld) that were both signed for this season.... they're blooding locals as much as the Jets are lol

Lee is still sticking to his plan that was made pretty clear when he started. Tight on the chequebook until he can assess the club after the first season. He assessed, didn't like what he saw, and now he's going about changing things. Georgevski & O'Donovan are proven A-league players and solid signings for us, manager or not. I'm happy we aren't chasing further targets until the new guy comes in - there's still some room for him to play with and he too won't have any excuses.

Aside from blabbering on about stability by keeping a coach who has proven to be absolutely useless, what plan would you put in place?

Lets piss this egg ball shit off. Trash game, trash team.

We have our own shit to worry about here let alone bringing that garbage in.
    Head over to the Herald comment section if you want to discuss how to best punch your misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Lets piss this egg ball shit off. Trash game, trash team.

We have our own shit to worry about here let alone bringing that garbage in.
    Head over to the Herald comment section if you want to discuss how to best punch your misses.
    Hear hear

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Sorry member, your lack of Egg ball knowledge is probably clouding your judgement on this one.

The Nites are throwing money at anyone who will look at them. They don't have a plan in recruitment other than get guys on their last pay check or last chance saloon.

There are also not many other coaches willing to take on the gig as they can't attract players yet. The sale to the Wests Group this year should change things for them, but they don't really have enough money to buy the league so i guess the Nites will be mid-table to spoon hunting just like us for the next few years.
    The reason they are throwing money about is the NRL next year gets a salary cap increase next year plus they have their star druggos money to spend plus they are trying to buy some credibility as a destination for any future player / sponsor $$ in the future

They have shitload of cash to spend in reality

Issue is they are on the nose with players ever since Tinkler left just as we are.

We have only now just started attracting HAL standard in Our Caravan Georgevski Petratos etc

It not who they get that is the issue. They just need to break the glass ceiling and then they can get others in the future

Ramon Tribulietx??

Thoughts everyone, interesting candidate?

coached Auckland City for many years now with much success and club has performed admirably in FIFA World Club Championships.

Was close to the Roar job before Aloisi, he will most likely be the leading candidate for the Pheonix job

Need a coach who has succeeded in a league higher then ours. Look hard enough and we will find one.
    Also everyone stop pretending like they know what's going on with the junior ranks at the knights

I think all the speculation is getting a bit far fetched.

I would go for Josip, but don't think he would leave the Socceroos setup, at least till after the WC.

Realistically I believe it will be Merrick or Mulvey - an experienced head who knows the league ins and outs (like salary cap - OS coaches will just go "wtf"?) and can impose culture on a club.

Would not be surprised if Lawrie and Ernie are meeting over whiskey and haggis some time this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I think all the speculation is getting a bit far fetched.

I would go for Josip, but don't think he would leave the Socceroos setup, at least till after the WC.

Realistically I believe it will be Merrick or Mulvey - an experienced head who knows the league ins and outs (like salary cap - OS coaches will just go "wtf"?) and can impose culture on a club.

Would not be surprised if Lawrie and Ernie are meeting over whiskey and haggis some time this week.
    Ernie appears the most likely scenario the more I think about it. It just depends if he actually wants it or not. And whether his time at Wellington reflects any deeper issues going on, ie is he past it now?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Ernie appears the most likely scenario the more I think about it. It just depends if he actually wants it or not. And whether his time at Wellington reflects any deeper issues going on, ie is he past it now?
    That's my fear. Can he find a way to build the team and get performances? Has be kept up with emerging use of technology, sports science, etc through further education?

As I said on the pod, Bodes swayed me. Merrick makes sense to me too, because he:
    a) knows the league and it's restrictions.
    b) he knows the players in the league
    c) he would certainly still have contacts overseas - how did he find Roly, Rodriguez, Rossi
    d) he's a " take no shit" coach.
    e) he has experience winning the league and getting a team to the finals.

He was, by all accounts, contsrained financially at the Nix. A greater ability to invest int he squad and support around him could assist to implement his style. I'd suggest Lee has better resources to inject.

Not just that, his team aren't going to be travelling on a plane for a minimum of 3 hours each way every second week and alos playing 3 or 4 "home" games away from home as well. That's disruptive.

He is probably to coach we need to consolidate the club and build some structure and ****ing foundations that have not been put in place, level it out and get us playing football again before someone like a Mulvey, Pappas or someone comes in to start adding another possible dimension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    That's my fear. Can he find a way to build the team and get performances? Has be kept up with emerging use of technology, sports science, etc through further education?

As I said on the pod, Bodes swayed me. Merrick makes sense to me too, because he:
    a) knows the league and it's restrictions.
    b) he knows the players in the league
    c) he would certainly still have contacts overseas - how did he find Roly, Rodriguez, Rossi
    d) he's a " take no shit" coach.
    e) he has experience winning the league and getting a team to the finals.

He was, by all accounts, contsrained financially at the Nix. A greater ability to invest int he squad and support around him could assist to implement his style. I'd suggest Lee has better resources to inject.

Not just that, his team aren't going to be travelling on a plane for a minimum of 3 hours each way every second week and alos playing 3 or 4 "home" games away from home as well. That's disruptive.

He is probably to coach we need to consolidate the club and build some structure and ****ing foundations that have not been put in place, level it out and get us playing football again before someone like a Mulvey, Pappas or someone comes in to start adding another possible dimension.
    You've convinced me he's a much better option then I was considering in my head. My disappointment in Merrick would be that it feels like the club have basically done nothing in terms of recruitment. I mean if a bunch of punters on here can pick out Merrick by default as being the best ex-A-league coach available (potentially available) and everything points to him being an obvious candidate, are the club actually doing anything else to find the right candidate?

Choosing what's right in front of us by default is Jones all over again except a better calibre option. It's like signing the free agents on FIFA when you start a career with a really really shit side and just choosing the same few guys that are marginally better than what you have because it's cheap, and you don't have to waste time looking.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    You've convinced me he's a much better option then I was considering in my head. My disappointment in Merrick would be that it feels like the club have basically done nothing in terms of recruitment. I mean if a bunch of punters on here can pick out Merrick by default as being the best ex-A-league coach available (potentially available) and everything points to him being an obvious candidate, are the club actually doing anything else to find the right candidate?

Choosing what's right in front of us by default is Jones all over again except a better calibre option. It's like signing the free agents on FIFA when you start a career with a really really shit side and just choosing the same few guys that are marginally better than what you have because it's cheap, and you don't have to waste time looking.
    Interesting post and slant on the Merrick optoin. You make a really intersting point.

The thing the restricts me is I don't know of a coach who would apply for the job outside the names that have been linked before that have experience. If we had the list of applicants, or until rumours of options start arising, most of us are limited to what we know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

The issue will be avoidance of risk - McKinna knows he is on a final chance to get this right which is why I think we will go the safe option.

Merrick would also still presumably have some ties with the Chinese market through his (albeit small) time with Hong Kong.

I agree Merrick seems like the safest and most logical option at the moment, and I would like to assume McKinna would have begun to talk with him prior to the actual firing of Jones. The writing did seem on the wall for quite a few weeks prior to the end of the season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The issue will be avoidance of risk - McKinna knows he is on a final chance to get this right which is why I think we will go the safe option.
    But why are we getting ourselves into a position where one bloke is deciding the manager to lead us into the future and his main worry is self preservation of his own arse??

We fail regularly because we put expectations on the club to deliver yet they don't even have strong foundations to rest on

FFS the Gypo was sprouting some BS that the next mother****er has to make the top 6 next season.

Seems to forget the squad is 2/3 full of the all conquering wooden spoon cowards who sold Jones down the river the last 2 months

FMD

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKplunk View Post
    Merrick would also still presumably have some ties with the Chinese market through his (albeit small) time with Hong Kong.

I agree Merrick seems like the safest and most logical option at the moment, and I would like to assume McKinna would have begun to talk with him prior to the actual firing of Jones. The writing did seem on the wall for quite a few weeks prior to the end of the season.
    How is it safe to sign someone that was below the Jets on the table even though he had a much better squad to choose from ? Then take into account the injury toll the Jets were facing at the time and there's no explanation other than Merrick is finished as a coach / manager. Melbourne Victory knew it, Wellington Knew it , and I would hope the Jets CEO knows it as well.

We need to get someone high profile, who can lure in talented players willing to play for less money simply because they want to be associated with the Manager / Coach.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 19-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.

What if, we signed O'Caravan & Okon.

Signed the only good player from the scum before coming to the richer city?

Saw martin palermo's name bandied about somewhere. Cant find the link i saw.

Also i have faith Griffo will have plenty to say in the acquisition of the next gaffa

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    How is it safe to sign someone that was below the Jets on the table even though he had a much better squad to choose from ? Then take into account the injury toll the Jets were facing at the time and there's no explanation other than Merrick is finished as a coach / manager. Melbourne Victory knew it, Wellington Knew it , and I would hope the Jets CEO knows it as well.

We need to get someone high profile, who can lure in talented players willing to play for less money simply because they want to be associated with the Manager / Coach.
    Safe in the regard that we're simply not going to attract a more high profile coach, regardless of money, until we're in a better position as a club. Merrick would be one of the safest options of those few applicants willing to take on a wooden spoon club half full of players on contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

What we want to happen and what will happen are two very different things.

Ernie resigned Felix because they were being run on the smell of an oily rag and he had little support to do things with that team - very Jets.

He will take the job only if the warchest gets opened.

Also i have faith Griffo will have plenty to say in the acquisition of the next gaffa
    Can't wait to see the "Griff Out!" thread next season.