Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Whether it is an advantage or not isn't the issue

They are getting better performance to $$ deals from their players than we are

Take blokes like Boogaard. Now how far off value to $$ is he compared to say O'Neill and Rhyan Grant ??

Those two probably on **** all over minimum wage and they deliver every week

High time we looked at our own backyard and getting wages in order with performance
    If what you say is 100% true, why would anyone go to a shit club like Newcastle when they could win stuff with Sydney? There is a reason shit clubs pay more for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    If what you say is 100% true, why would anyone go to a shit club like Newcastle when they could win stuff with Sydney? There is a reason shit clubs pay more for players.
    So what? We just accept we are bad and stay in the same old pattern paying overs and losing? Or we take the MFKS route and rectify it to become better. I choose the latter

How??

Quote Originally Posted by monz6 View Post
    So what? We just accept we are bad and stay in the same old pattern paying overs and losing? Or we take the MFKS route and rectify it to become better. I choose the latter
    How though? If we have a set budget and we won't send lots of money to get the better players when they can play for the same amount in capital cities, HOW?

And yes, we should get used to losing. That's all the club will ever do in the current A-League model. We and the other have nots are going to play second fiddle to the haves forever. The system built for equality is now all about getting away from equality as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by monz6 View Post
    When the member finally gives his blueprint to fix the club i'll be happy to listen and then agree/disagree. All he has said so far is that our players suck and should be sacked and replaced with better ones. WOW, who would have thought it was that easy?

We know the squad isn't good enough, i feel like 80% of the league isn't good enough for the wages they earn. So in theory your plan is to sack 80% of the squad, sign 5 first teamers on good coin, run out of salary cap space and then forfeit every game because we only have 7 players on our books?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    We know the squad isn't good enough, i feel like 80% of the league isn't good enough for the wages they earn.
    The false football economy, brought to you by PFA, FFA and the Salary Cap.

Throw huge bucks at 6/7 starting quality players. Find some very good quality visa players and pay marquee wages. Get a quality/attractive starting side together and a few OK squad players will follow from other clubs. Fill the rest with youth on absolute minimum wage.

Pray to God we don't get any injuries.

The club should only be worried about signing quality players - if that means breaching the salary cap so be it. Even if we get fined and lose points they won't be able to take away from the fans the feeling of actually being competitive again.
    That's if we get breached because I think the last thing Sydney FC would want is an independent review of clubs adherence to the salary cap.
    Playing by the rules has gotten us nowhere - about time we treated the rules with the contempt they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    The club should only be worried about signing quality players - if that means breaching the salary cap so be it. Even if we get fined and lose points they won't be able to take away from the fans the feeling of actually being competitive again.
    That's if we get breached because I think the last thing Sydney FC would want is an independent review of clubs adherence to the salary cap.
    Playing by the rules has gotten us nowhere - about time we treated the rules with the contempt they deserve.
    It all comes down to money. If we aren't going to spend, it doesn't matter about rules.

Not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just trying to continue the current narrative of a few in this group, i have a few questions that maybe Dunster/the Member and the rest can answer?

We can't sign squad players because they aren't worth the money so they are out. So we can only sign first teamers? Correct?

We can only pay players what they produce on the pitch, so unless we win the league we can't pay top dollar for players?

We will have to utilise half our salary cap paying out the guys who are currently contracted so you only have half a salary cap to find this magical team that will fix all our problems?

Mr Lee hasn't offered any cash outside of the cap so far so you can't utilize concessions as well..

So to all those couch coaches, please show me the team you would put forward? I wanna hear about these top quality players who are lining up to play for us and our wonderful club?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Subject of wages for Smurfs players came up and it was mentioned that one high profile player was on only 88k a season.

Yep only 88k
    Pretty easy to do when you only put 88k on the books.

Put 150k off the books.
    Buy him a new car.
    Buy him a new house.
    Let him root your misso twice a week.

Ez pz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Would this line up with cowburn?

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $150,000 on 3 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system. Any payments to such Players above the $150,000 allowance are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
    People get so caught up in allowances that they don't realise they are completely irrelevant to the Jets and every team bar the sides using both marquee players, ie SFC/MV/MC

Let me explain

The salary cap for 16/17 is 2.6mil

The homegrown player allowance is 150k and loyalty allowance is 200k.

So if we utilised all of these that's a player budget of 2.95 mill.

Marquee players no longer have any criteria, infact they are now even called designated players. So forgetting allowances, lets assume we spent the full 2.6mill last season, but decided to designate Boogs (let's say 300k). That 300k is then outside the cap giving a player budget of 2.9mill with a 2nd designated player still to be used.

My point is this. We should not be influenced into re-signing players like kanta due to his eligibility for allowances until we utilise both marquees (designated players). They make no difference to the player budget and we end up signing a sub standard player because of it.

We should sign the best squad we can regardless of the players allowance criteria, and only once we use both designated players and soend the full cap should we care about loyalty payments.

Not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just trying to continue the current narrative of a few in this group, i have a few questions that maybe Dunster/the Member and the rest can answer?

We can't sign squad players because they aren't worth the money so they are out. So we can only sign first teamers? Correct?

We can only pay players what they produce on the pitch, so unless we win the league we can't pay top dollar for players?

We will have to utilise half our salary cap paying out the guys who are currently contracted so you only have half a salary cap to find this magical team that will fix all our problems?

Mr Lee hasn't offered any cash outside of the cap so far so you can't utilize concessions as well..

So to all those couch coaches, please show me the team you would put forward? I wanna hear about these top quality players who are lining up to play for us and our wonderful club?
    I put together a squad previously. Would involve using all marquee status.

Just routinely paying out our underperforming players every year hides the truth that every team has underperforming players, it's the coaches job to get the best out of them.

Ryan Grant has had a stellar year but 12 months ago no other club wanted him and he stayed unsigned for quite a while before Arnold re-signed him. Most SFC fans wanted him gone in their clean out.

Grant would have performed just as dismally under Jones as the rest of our dross. Now Jones is gone we have a chance for a new manager to assess them.

Strategically paying out a player here or there to free up a squad position, if there is additional funds to spend, is wise.

Blah blah blah loser mentality... stop with your logic and just sign better players at a fraction of the cost. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it gets done. It's the easiest thing ever.

We've already got 16 contracted squaddies, so only 7 squad spots left, so yes, lets make those signings count

i think they main argument is that we should stop paying overs for dross...

This one i'm not sure of, who says contract payouts get included in the cap? i thought that as long as your squad wage total at any point in time was under the cap you were good. As long as the contract terminations are mutually consentual you could swap in /out players as you like.
    I honestly think we're stuck with the existing 16 contracted players unless they want out themselves.

I imagine we're currently organised to simply hit the required min squad size + cap use.
    my 2c.

We've already got 16 contracted squaddies, so only 7 squad spots left, so yes, lets make those signings count

I agree with that sentiment, and yes, that makes sense. But most of the conversation on here is related to players currently signed (not new players) like Cowburn et al that we are saying 'get rid of just buy better players'. Again, I would like that but it ain't that simple (as has been discussed at length on here for about 5 years).

And any contract payouts do go towards the cap. So unless someone can get a deal elsewhere we have to pay them out (generally at a lower rate than their contract, but it still reduces our amount under the cap) or let them remain for their contract and hope they get less shit (or coach them to improve).

Just out of interest I had a look at the Sydney FC squad. This is a team that uses pretty much all allowances, marquees, concessions, has big city appeal, consistent winners, pay outside the cap, arent the Jets etc and this is their squad:

http://http://www.sydneyfc.com/team

There are 6-7 players there (admittedly some of the 3 u/23's required) that are utter poo. I just don't see how it is possible to sign 'all first team players' when a club like Sydney (that just won the league in a canter) are nowhere doing it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerny View Post
    my 2c.
    Fairly certain players contracts terminated are included in the CAP for that season. And stop paying overs for players???? How else we gonna convince players to join this shambles of a club? On field performance?? Nope Coaching?? Nope Strength of Roster?? Nope Stable Environment?? New owner and new coaches so Nope. So how else do we sign players
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

i don't want to pay anyone out.

I actually don't hate on the likes of Cowburn etc as much as some on here.

The bit I agree with the member on is that we are talking about resigning a couple of blokes who can't make the starting squad for the team that ran dead last. At the least the remaining 6/7 squad spots should be targeted at players much better than what we have.

We should also sign a coach better than what we had.

But again, that's on the CEO. He is employed to run the football club. Part of that is having a scouting network. If he doesn't have one, he's derelict in his duty if he ain't out there working on it.

Where to get these players from? I've stated before, some of the best talent we ever had came from 'unknown' 2nd and 3rd tier Asian players.

Are we looking there? I've just been over here and the quality on display is a damn sight better than the SANPL.
    (And if the Internet is to be believed) the wages are more than comparable to what we are paying.

I'd just love to see our club, for once, not look in the other clubs rubbish bins for players and coaches.

But until it happens I'm convinced we'll sign yet another Sth American/Scano/Pom who once played for a club that you may have heard of who is past his prime in the hope it all changes.

I like this:

Play a bit of Foz FM here and everyone show us the type of squad YOU would put together and how much you would pay them.