Page 9 of 135 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guerny View Post
    Nice troll!

I'll bite: We do NOT need squad players, already got plenty of them. We DO need 11 first teamers which we don't have yet...
    Wasn't a troll at all. I think you'll find I'm one who is pretty genuine in what I say so think about who you're having a go at before slinging mud. I'm just not interested in getting into an argument that spirals out of control - but happy to have a discussion with people who want to understand my points, as I will theirs. So in saying that...

I agree 1000% we need first teamers, but I don't think with the players coming off contract we will have the cap space to accomodate 7 or 8 first team wages. That's why I think we will need some at the lower end of the scale.

We saw last year our striking options were quite thin - Pavicevic was released, Labi didn't get a shot until the end and Kokko had time out through injuries and because Jones didn't want to play him. That's why I think there is room for someone like Gamiero.

If you'd say to me perhaps we look at Brymora to take the spot instead of Gamiero, I'd actually reconsider my point because Kristian still has time to develop - as well as good knees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    time out through injuries

Gamiero
    Heh.

Heh.
    very true.

That's why we need someone different than the person who did Culina's medical to put him through the paces.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

My bad, no mudslinging intended.

I agree we probably cannot afford 7 more first teamers under the cap, so if we cant use the "outside the cap" allowances i'd settle for FOUR? first teamers and just start next season with a minimum sized squad. Half a team of first teamers + squaddies starting each week is better than a whole team of squaddies starting each week.

The names your throwing around don't strike me as the quality i'd like to see the first team squad being, nor do i think they will excite the supporter base enough to save our membership numbers for next season.

just my 2c.

Nice troll!

I'll bite: We do NOT need squad players, already got plenty of them. We DO need 11 first teamers which we don't have yet...
    At the same time though, if we could move on a dude like brymora as a squaddie and replace him with a gamiero coming off the bench wouldn't that be a better option

very true.

That's why we need someone different than the person who did Culina's medical to put him through the paces.
    After hearing about Culina's issues, you have to wonder if he could pace at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    At the same time though, if we could move on a dude like brymora as a squaddie and replace him with a gamiero coming off the bench wouldn't that be a better option
    Gameiro might as well quit football. He's crocked.

My bad, no mudslinging intended.

I agree we probably cannot afford 7 more first teamers under the cap, so if we cant use the "outside the cap" allowances i'd settle for FOUR? first teamers and just start next season with a minimum sized squad. Half a team of first teamers + squaddies starting each week is better than a whole team of squaddies starting each week.

The names your throwing around don't strike me as the quality i'd like to see the first team squad being, nor do i think they will excite the supporter base enough to save our membership numbers for next season.

just my 2c.
    All good mate.

I agree four under the cap is a more than realistic target, because any use of the marquee has got to be a first teamer simply by the nature of the position so I wasn't including that.

They don't really excite me either, but the market seems pretty tight this off-season so far. I'm surprised more teams haven't put out their "released players" list. It will be a few interesting weeks. Makes the urgency around the coaching decision all the more important.

Gamiero would be a massive risk, so any wage he is on anywhere would need to reflect that (i.e. low given his poor injury record).

Much rather they put time into a kid with huge physical attributes like Sawyer then look to sign Gamiero. Less coin too and offers a point of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Much rather they put time into a kid with huge physical attributes like Sawyer then look to sign Gamiero. Less coin too and offers a point of difference.
    I forgot him!!

even though guys like cowburn have an in place contract as of right now, would jets be able to move the rest of his contract outside the cap or do we have to wait until his contract runs out to do that?

even though guys like cowburn have an in place contract as of right now, would jets be able to move the rest of his contract outside the cap or do we have to wait until his contract runs out to do that?
    On what grounds would he be moved? It can't be the long serving player because he has only appeared in the A-League for 3 seasons.

On what grounds would he be moved? It can't be the long serving player because he has only appeared in the A-League for 3 seasons.
    Would this line up with cowburn?

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $150,000 on 3 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system. Any payments to such Players above the $150,000 allowance are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;

Would this line up with cowburn?

Homegrown Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $150,000 on 3 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system. Any payments to such Players above the $150,000 allowance are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
    Yeah - I think it would be close. I don't know Cowburn's DoB.

Gamiero is a skilled footballer but this club is in no position to roll the dice on yet another injured player hoping they come good.
    And when a club like Melb City with all their resources released Gamiero that tells me all I need to know conforming he's too much of a risk for the Jets to sign.

Cowburn. I would not keep him at any price regardless of concessions. He's simply not good enough if this club wants to be successful then they need to be signing better players than Cowburn.

And don't get me wrong here I think Cowburn is a good footballer and one who always gives 100% when wearing the Jets shirt. But to be successful we need more.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 01-05-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Cowburn. I would not keep him at any price regardless of concessions. He's simply not good enough if this club wants to be successful then they need to be signing better players than Cowburn.

And don't get me wrong here I think Cowburn is a good footballer and one who always gives 100% when wearing the Jets shirt. But to be successful we need more.
    If we are going to use outside the cap concessions, there are only so many people we can use certain ones on. Kanta for instance - he's no world beater and shouldn't be starting but as a squad player outside the cap (loyalty clause), he would be okay to keep at the club. Same for BK if he is 100% outside the cap.

Who else can we use the youth concessions on? Brymora is local and could be paid in the one Mark mentioned but who else? If we are "stuck" with Cowburn and can move his entire salary outside the cap when no one else qualifies for it, why wouldn't that be a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Gamiero is a skilled footballer but this club is in no position to roll the dice on yet another injured player hoping they come good.
    And when a club like Melb City with all their resources released Gamiero that tells me all I need to know conforming he's too much of a risk for the Jets to sign.

for the season we do have him though, when also considering we need pretty well all starting players it would be good to keep him for this season to move outside the cap so more money can be spent on those players we'll be having inside the cap, plus he's far from the worse footballer especially when taken into account his versatility to be a RB, lb, CB and in the midfield

Yeah - I think it would be close. I don't know Cowburn's DoB.
    Just had a geez and he turned 22 this year in March, so if we can move him outside using the homegrown player concession we should I'd say

they are getting released from clubs that are trying to go to the next level yet we think that by signing them we can reach that level or surpass it?

City obviously planning on replacing them with better players. I'd rather the Jets get in bidding wars for those new blokes rather than the trash they just put out.

Banned
    for the season we do have him though, when also considering we need pretty well all starting players it would be good to keep him for this season to move outside the cap so more money can be spent on those players we'll be having inside the cap, plus he's far from the worse footballer especially when taken into account his versatility to be a RB, lb, CB and in the midfield
    He has versatility only as he not good enough to hold down a ****ing spot in any position.

Why the **** are we even talking about this bloke like he some part of the solution??

He isn't.

We need to be signing better players than him