Page 133 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Would be a shame if Pato does go as he's a super talented player - but it does make sense from a squad point of view. If we are hanging onto Joey and looking to develop him and have him play a bigger role in the coming season(s), then I can definitely understand it. I view them as very similar types of players - direct, wildcard, like to dribble, create goal scoring chances. No doubt Pato is better - but also a foreign / potentially marquee spot, and significantly more salary. I'm not sure you start both of them together very often, as I think you may need a different mix of skills and aptitudes coming from the other wing for some balance.

Squad wise, they may be better off letting him go as we already have Joey - and looking for a similar quality player elsewhere, perhaps central midfield or a striker. Attacking midfielder also a must if Ronny is not resigned.

Saving up a foreign spot for Iniesta..

(In all seriousness though, I believe plague would go in to some sort of meltdown of Trump/Star Wars style proportions if that actually happened)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Saving up a foreign spot for Iniesta..

(In all seriousness though, I believe plague would go in to some sort of meltdown of Trump/Star Wars style proportions if that actually happened)
    I'd just cry.
    A lot.

Then I would travel to every game and training session he participated in.
    And if anyone ever did a nasty tackle on him I'd run out on the pitch and stab them with an umbrella.

But the Jets, and this shitty league don't deserve him.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Would be a shame if Pato does go as he's a super talented player - but it does make sense from a squad point of view. If we are hanging onto Joey and looking to develop him and have him play a bigger role in the coming season(s), then I can definitely understand it. I view them as very similar types of players - direct, wildcard, like to dribble, create goal scoring chances. No doubt Pato is better - but also a foreign / potentially marquee spot, and significantly more salary. I'm not sure you start both of them together very often, as I think you may need a different mix of skills and aptitudes coming from the other wing for some balance.

Squad wise, they may be better off letting him go as we already have Joey - and looking for a similar quality player elsewhere, perhaps central midfield or a striker. Attacking midfielder also a must if Ronny is not resigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Sentence in today's Herald saying it's likely Pato won't be retained. I'd be very disappointed if true. Decent preseason for imports is so important here.
    Quote Originally Posted by white city View Post
    agreed, he has had really no chance to really prove his worth, a full pre-season would really prove his ability.

is brown being released?

hopefully we can bring in quality imports, in line with what we achieved with Vargas
    We will be in the ACL Qualification stage next year so need to balance the Visa positions to bring an Asian player onto the books. As it stands, we would be in the same position as Victory and Sydney this year where they could not use their full allocation. We need to plan further ahead.

Also makes a great opportuniy for Martin Lee to find a high quality Asian player to come in and increase the club profile overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

We need to raise our standards IMO. If Pato is the better we player we do what we can to keep him. Joey is close but not the complete player Pato is. Front 4 of Roy/Ron/Pato/Petratos with some depth in Joey. It only takes one injury and we are short (or suspensions in Roys case). I'm guessing Roy would be looking at Citizenship if we wants to stay attractive in the Aleague. Release Brown as there is the waste in a Visa spot. Look for a high quality Asian.

Nix fan here, kinda surprised it hasn't been posted on here yet but there has been press reports in NZ that Matty Ridenton is going to sign with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans_Rovers View Post
    Nix fan here, kinda surprised it hasn't been posted on here yet but there has been press reports in NZ that Matty Ridenton is going to sign with you guys.
    Not a bad player. Certainly has started developing over the past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    We will be in the ACL Qualification stage next year so need to balance the Visa positions to bring an Asian player onto the books. As it stands, we would be in the same position as Victory and Sydney this year where they could not use their full allocation. We need to plan further ahead.

Also makes a great opportuniy for Martin Lee to find a high quality Asian player to come in and increase the club profile overseas.
    Bring back Jin Hyung
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    We need to raise our standards IMO. If Pato is the better we player we do what we can to keep him. Joey is close but not the complete player Pato is. Front 4 of Roy/Ron/Pato/Petratos with some depth in Joey. It only takes one injury and we are short (or suspensions in Roys case). I'm guessing Roy would be looking at Citizenship if we wants to stay attractive in the Aleague. Release Brown as there is the waste in a Visa spot. Look for a high quality Asian.
    Pato hasnt done anything close to warrant resigning for someone of his talent
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

What are your thoughts on Ridenton?

If there is truth, what type of player is he? How was he played by Merrick? And do you know if he has an Australian passport?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'm wondering if we should look at moving some players on from the remainder of their contract coming into this season who may not offer much value to the team.

I was impressed in the few stints he had, but seems like a younger player like Shabow might not be of much use. If we sign Ridenton that feels like we'd have a few too many players who can slot into the midfield, so possibly moving on Wayne Brown could be an option. I don't think he will be moved on but I can also see the value in moving on a player like Lachlan Jackson, i personally don't think he's got the quality moving forward to stick around.

Would love to keep Pato, but can see why we'd let him go. I agree with Jeterpool, looking into signing an asian player which is what Martin Lee wants makes the most sense, means we'll have a better chance going forward in the ACL

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Pato hasnt done anything close to warrant resigning for someone of his talent
    Big call given the minutes he had and the circumstances with which some of those were under.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Big call given the minutes he had and the circumstances with which some of those were under.
    Everytime he started he did nothing and Even his sparks off the bench hardly led to anything. Id expect someone of his talent to dominate a game like Leroy George and Adrian Merwieski does, Same goes for Vargas who at least in the SF and GF looked really dangerous

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Everytime he started he did nothing and Even his sparks off the bench hardly led to anything. Id expect someone of his talent to dominate a game like Leroy George and Adrian Merwieski does, Same goes for Vargas who at least in the SF and GF looked really dangerous
    Ironically the blokes you used as your comparison in Leroy and Adrian played full seasons. Perhaps there is something in that.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Ironically the blokes you used as your comparison in Leroy and Adrian played full seasons. Perhaps there is something in that.
    Maybe but can we afford the risk as well as resigning Vargas?

love at first sight

Absolutely , If that can be achieved without paying ridiculous dollars.

Cheers for the head up!

Article from the 6th.... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12045901

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    I'm wondering if we should look at moving some players on from the remainder of their contract coming into this season who may not offer much value to the team.

I was impressed in the few stints he had, but seems like a younger player like Shabow might not be of much use. If we sign Ridenton that feels like we'd have a few too many players who can slot into the midfield, so possibly moving on Wayne Brown could be an option. I don't think he will be moved on but I can also see the value in moving on a player like Lachlan Jackson, i personally don't think he's got the quality moving forward to stick around.

Would love to keep Pato, but can see why we'd let him go. I agree with Jeterpool, looking into signing an asian player which is what Martin Lee wants makes the most sense, means we'll have a better chance going forward in the ACL
    That is precisely what we shoulkd be doing

Bert has had enough time to assess the players at the club now

If the likes of Jackson Brown Shabow I would even add Vujica to this list as well aint part of the plans going forward then we need to try moving them on now and free up squad space and $$$

Our squad needs to improve more to get better

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That is precisely what we shoulkd be doing

Bert has had enough time to assess the players at the club now

If the likes of Jackson Brown Shabow I would even add Vujica to this list as well aint part of the plans going forward then we need to try moving them on now and free up squad space and $$$

Our squad needs to improve more to get better
    Only reason I wouldn't include Vujica is because Ernie renewed his contract for like 2 more seasons.

Reason I say players like Jackson, brown and shabow is because they stick out as guys Ernie had no part in signing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Only reason I wouldn't include Vujica is because Ernie renewed his contract for like 2 more seasons.

Reason I say players like Jackson, brown and shabow is because they stick out as guys Ernie had no part in signing
    I reckon Merrick rates Brown so hell be going nowhere

love at first sight