Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Moan at the FFA

Banned

Let's Moan at the FFA

Thread for whinging about the FFA and there mistakes in governance of the game in this country

As I am pretty good with coming up with a gripe and I ain't a fan of Buckley, Lowy and co and the way they run the game I thought I would let rip with the first of my many gripes with the FFA.

The HAL season is too short and starts the wrong time of the year.

It is down to these individuals at FFA HQ that the season starts in October to allegedly try and avoid the media hype surrounding the egg balls finals series so now we wait til after the Egg ball is finished.

As far as I am concerned this is the wrong move.

How about looking after the people they should be and that is Football supporters in this country. Yes the people who actually do support the game. The idea of playing in October to allow positive publicity may draw a few more of the casual followers and the sports lovers who follow a range of sports but why does the game bend over backwards to appeal to these people and put the interests of the people who do support the game second??

Move the season back to Late August 1st week of September and stand our ground. Our game should not be playing second fiddle to these imposters of sports. By moving our season to avoid theirs the FFA are actually selling our game short by admitting a defeat.

Next part of this involves extending our season. Why can't we play each team in the HAL 4 times?? Many other 10 team Leagues around the world do it successfully why can't we??

It would give us an extra 2 months of the season in a heart beat so instead of being a 6 month season we would be an 8 month season. Getting much closer to the European season length also of 9-10 months.

At the end of the day maybe I am just a little pissed off as I have been waiting 3 months for our season to start and I have just under another 3 months to go.

FFA are selling me short with a lack of Football and need to rectify this

good to see the break hasn't mellowed you MFKS. fight the good fight mate.

Good call, then you can whinge at FFA because the A League gets no media coverage during the AFL/NRL finals.

Appealing to the casual fan means "real fans" get to go to games with about double the crowd.
    Starting in October means we get better pitches, less clashes with other codes who might be major tenants at the grounds we use.
    Playing everyone 4 times would cost the owners shiteload more coin. Coin they haven't got, some argue about the cost of youth and w-league teams as it is.

I agree your gripes, but big picture needs to kept in mind. Last season was good in terms of crowds and tv ratings.... So they say..... They need to consolidate.

If your gripes aren't sorted by 2032, I'll send the FFA a letter.

I'd really like them to take a leaf out of the j-league and develop a 100 year plan.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Appealing to the casual fan means "real fans" get to go to games with about double the crowd.
    Starting in October means we get better pitches, less clashes with other codes who might be major tenants at the grounds we use.
    Playing everyone 4 times would cost the owners shiteload more coin. Coin they haven't got, some argue about the cost of youth and w-league teams as it is.

I agree your gripes, but big picture needs to kept in mind. Last season was good in terms of crowds and tv ratings.... So they say..... They need to consolidate.

If your gripes aren't sorted by 2032, I'll send the FFA a letter.

I'd really like them to take a leaf out of the j-league and develop a 100 year plan.
    Other than the travel costs for the away games having a 4th round would bring how does it actually cost the owners more??

Don't forget this is also off set by another 4 or so Home games gate takings

After all the players and coaches are already being paid a yearly salary. Instead of them training and getting paid to train they would be playing and still getting paid.

an extra round of match payments to players.

extra chance for fringe players to pick up bonuses/re-sign clauses etc.

and travel costs to perth for 30 staff wouldn't exactly be cheap.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Thread for whinging about the FFA and there mistakes in governance of the game in this country

As I am pretty good with coming up with a gripe and I ain't a fan of Buckley, Lowy and co and the way they run the game I thought I would let rip with the first of my many gripes with the FFA.

The HAL season is too short and starts the wrong time of the year.

It is down to these individuals at FFA HQ that the season starts in October to allegedly try and avoid the media hype surrounding the egg balls finals series so now we wait til after the Egg ball is finished.

As far as I am concerned this is the wrong move.

How about looking after the people they should be and that is Football supporters in this country. Yes the people who actually do support the game. The idea of playing in October to allow positive publicity may draw a few more of the casual followers and the sports lovers who follow a range of sports but why does the game bend over backwards to appeal to these people and put the interests of the people who do support the game second??

Move the season back to Late August 1st week of September and stand our ground. Our game should not be playing second fiddle to these imposters of sports. By moving our season to avoid theirs the FFA are actually selling our game short by admitting a defeat.

Next part of this involves extending our season. Why can't we play each team in the HAL 4 times?? Many other 10 team Leagues around the world do it successfully why can't we??

It would give us an extra 2 months of the season in a heart beat so instead of being a 6 month season we would be an 8 month season. Getting much closer to the European season length also of 9-10 months.

At the end of the day maybe I am just a little pissed off as I have been waiting 3 months for our season to start and I have just under another 3 months to go.

FFA are selling me short with a lack of Football and need to rectify this
    derp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    an extra round of match payments to players.

extra chance for fringe players to pick up bonuses/re-sign clauses etc.

and travel costs to perth for 30 staff wouldn't exactly be cheap.
    As we have a salary capped League I would imagine the use of bonus is quite well controlled and limited compared to other leagues around the world. It would be a minefield trying to put together a squad and trying to speculate how much money he player would earn through bonuses. Would imagine most are on fixed contracts of X $ a year and set bonuses for GF wins making finals etc things that easily added up

fair point, but year after year you hear of NRL clubs running over the cap as a result of players reaching performance bonuses (eg, origin, test call ups).

i can't imagine that managers of football players haven't worked out a way to include performance bonuses in the contracts.

As we have a salary capped League I would imagine the use of bonus is quite well controlled and limited compared to other leagues around the world. It would be a minefield trying to put together a squad and trying to speculate how much money he player would earn through bonuses. Would imagine most are on fixed contracts of X $ a year and set bonuses for GF wins making finals etc things that easily added up
    From what ive read stadium costs are one of the biggest losses for a team who arent a major tennant.

Fat Clives team used to have to average 75% (from memory) capacity just to break even per game.
    Jets under Con used to get screwed as well.
    Roar def cop a nasty deal at Suncorp.
    until we start owning a few of our grounds we will always make little (if any) money from match days.

the upside of that is more money from TV but maybe it wouldn't be enough to cover the losses.

Other than the travel costs for the away games having a 4th round would bring how does it actually cost the owners more??

Don't forget this is also off set by another 4 or so Home games gate takings

After all the players and coaches are already being paid a yearly salary. Instead of them training and getting paid to train they would be playing and still getting paid.
    By and large they run at a loss over 27 weeks... So the average game loses money.... I'm not sure how adding another 9 matches would do anything but increase losses, at least in the short term.

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    so much derp
    Novocastria Youth

bring back the nsl

The start of the season is perfect now - leave it.

Enough people complain about playing each team 3 times due to boredom.. can't imagine a 4th match would make the season any better… add to that a 5th and possible 6th matchup between some times by the time the finals finish. If we want football, I'd rather they put the Youth game on before the main game and make it more of a day for people who want to see more football - plus more people can identify with the youth players before they reach the first team.

Starting in October is the right move… those casual fans are what's going to boost the game in this country. Or we happy with averages around 8k and being on the struggling financially for the rest of eternity?

RL fans have a poor concentration span and get bored easily. As soon as eggball is finished, it will only take a week or two for them to look for something else. Why not get them interested in the a-league at the beginning, not 5 or 6 rounds in when they feel like they've missed the boat?

RL fans usually cant tollerate other sports or effnics so may not work

FFa garauntees 10 pens for Wsyd to get up n running

The sales of Rostyn Griffiths, Mustafa Amini, Matt Simon and now Alex Wilkinson to overseas clubs have obviously helped, while some sponsors have been kind enough to advance payments ahead of schedule. More recently, Football Federation Australia has come to the party with an extra $500,000 dividend from new sponsorship deals.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league...#ixzz211A7NiQQ
    Where's our half a million, thought the FFA wasn't a bank Frank. If these blokes can afford to build a COE why is every other team chipping in and funding them, time to break the welfare cycle cut the bastards off already.

weren't those sponsorship deals (aka the one that's stopping adelaide from having coopers on their shirt) meant to be split evenly between every team?

the CoE is tied up in a government grant and can't really be used for the club - but they can take profits from it. it's all weird logistics. still ridiculous how they're spending all this time & effort setting up all this stuff off-field when they can barely run on-field.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    time to break the welfare cycle cut the bastards off already.
    A-Leagues version of work for the dole.