Page 28 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/46...-poll/?cs=3398

"... so changing environments and moving to a Club that will not accept anything less than top results and playing finals football next year is something that has got me naturally excited.”
    So just how did Bert get him to sign without him even realising who we are??
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/46...-poll/?cs=3398

So just how did Bert get him to sign without him even realising who we are??
    Hopefully it means the Chinese Lightsalesman has threatened executions for all those involved in case of another failure.

We can only hope they actually have some heart and play with the passion required

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Only the clubs in the ACL need 2 out right #1's imo.
    I disagree with this, how is Duncan ever going to perform his best if he never feels like he has to? He can turn up each week and play 90 minutes regardless of how his form is because there is no one else. Will you really see him work hard and improve? he has no reason to!

Also what if he goes down with an ACL injury on a Thursday training session with a game on the Saturday coming up?

There should be more than 1 quality player capable of playing each position in the starting 11 and goal keeper shouldn't be an exception.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I disagree with this, how is Duncan ever going to perform his best if he never feels like he has to? He can turn up each week and play 90 minutes regardless of how his form is because there is no one else. Will you really see him work hard and improve?
    I guess that backup striker at Barca is the reason Messi is as good as he is.
    What's his name again I can't remember.

Maybe as a paid professional footballer Duncan takes great pride in his preparation and performance.
    You seem make a lot of negative assumptions about a the bloke.

Not everyone wants to coast through life.

Maybe Duncan works his ass off at training and has the best attitude of any player in the whole squad.

and fwiw I know people on here see it as 'whingeing' but I agree that the signing of Moss is a good thing but also 'hope' we haven't committed too much cap space etc.

These are legitimate questions, not whinges.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

Maybe as a paid professional footballer Duncan takes great pride in his preparation and performance.

Maybe Duncan works his ass off at training and has the best attitude of any player in the whole squad.

and fwiw I know people on here see it as 'whingeing' but I agree that the signing of Moss is a good thing but also 'hope' we haven't committed too much cap space etc.

I rather you talking shit than talking so much sense like this post. It's more entertaining.

Paco Alcacer. Spanish International Striker was coveted by many teams after scoring goals for a rubbish Valencia Team. Cost 30 Million Euros.

He still scored 7 goals this year as well.

What was your point on this again? Backups are a waste of money. Idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    What was your point on this again? Backups are a waste of money. Idiotic.
    Well my bigger point is that I wished people read the posts before responding.

But obviously I've got to aim a little lower.

So if you have two keepers of equal ability and they both do equally well at training who do you give the nod come game day ? This is where the shit starts because one player will know that even if they do as well as the other at training or sometimes better - they still won't get picked to play.

This is the problem. There's way more politics when it comes to selections than many here seem to realise. Coaches doing deals with player managers or a common associate are not unusual.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.

He did play in goals for the team with the worst defence in the league. A lot of people here make negative assumptions of all of our back line, why does Duncan get a free pass from that?

Banned
    He did play in goals for the team with the worst defence in the league. A lot of people here make negative assumptions of all of our back line, why does Duncan get a free pass from that?
    Because by and large he wasn't the bloke responsible that often for glaring **** ups.

2 times he ****ed up dramatically.

His form was sufficient enough he kept us getting raped by more

Nearly all weeks he was in our top 3 performance wise

As has been mentioned before goalkeeper is least of our problems

Most seasons he our star player and if not he close too it

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Because by and large he wasn't the bloke responsible that often for glaring **** ups.

2 times he ****ed up dramatically.

His form was sufficient enough he kept us getting raped by more

Nearly all weeks he was in our top 3 performance wise

As has been mentioned before goalkeeper is least of our problems

Most seasons he our star player and if not he close too it
    I thought accepting "sufficient enough" form was one of your biggest problems with our fans?

Where does Duncan get a free pass?

Biraz was behind a terrible backline too and we all loved him and gave him player of the year didn't we?

If anything his attitude was the one that needed questioning but it sure didn't hurt his ability on the pitch. Bloke was great imo.

I think Duncan is a good enough keeper.
    I think Moss is a good enough keeper.

Not entirely sure what else you want from me on this one.

Banned
    I thought accepting "sufficient enough" form was one of your biggest problems with our fans?
    ?? I not have any issue with Duncan last season
    IMHO he our best player

The 10 failures in front of him though on my hit list

Seeing as you want to bag him then please explain how Duncan a contributing issue in our poor form last season from your perspective ??

Enlighten us all

This

And Barca don't have the problem of signing a decent midfield and defence to replace the dross they have, all within a salary cap.

FFS we came stone motherless last and our number 1 signing priority is a 2nd keeper. It's like upgrading the windows in your house while it's burning to the ground.

The club should be signing the best 2nd keeper they can, providing they are on min wage, young and can be developed. Not wasting money on keepers well past their prime.

Aside from Roar and City, do any other clubs have two No.1s?

FFS we came stone motherless last and our number 1 signing priority is a 2nd keeper.
    I think there's a difference between our 'number 1 priority' and the first bloke we sign.

If Moss was a value signing (and age 34 isn't past his prime for a keeper is it) then that's good business.
    Merrick has stated a #10 is his priority.

Happy to let that one play out.

This

And Barca don't have the problem of signing a decent midfield and defence to replace the dross they have, all within a salary cap.

FFS we came stone motherless last and our number 1 signing priority is a 2nd keeper. It's like upgrading the windows in your house while it's burning to the ground.

The club should be signing the best 2nd keeper they can, providing they are on min wage, young and can be developed. Not wasting money on keepers well past their prime.
    Who said it was the No. 1 signing priority? It may just have been the easiest one to get completed. We needed a Keeper, one was available that wanted to come that the coach has worked with before and does not have to do due diligence on with regards to personality type, how well he trains, performance etc. we signed him. End of story.

I think it is a good thing that we have signed an experienced professional to work alongside a young keeper in Duncan. Merrick has described Moss as a model professional, how is it a bad thing that Duncan spends 12 months learning how to better prepare himself? We have not signed Moss long term, what is the point of signing another young keeper to sit on the bench that will not develop as he won't play. I would rather be in a position that either Moss is starting and teaching Duncan skills on how to train and prepare, or Duncan starts and if he gets injured we have a hugely experienced guy who can step straight in and it won't all be a massive shock to him.

Not to mention that the club is finally rid of the stench of Ben Kennedy. This is a joyous occasion

Moss is a comfort signing for Merrick and I'm all for giving the manager some comfort at a new club where he wasn't allowed to overhaul the coaching staff (like others we were negotiating with wanted).

Graham Arnold has made comfort signings at every club he has gone to, and it's always worked out well for him.

Let Merrick have his men. If he fails, it's more of a reason for him not to do a Mark Jones and claim it wasn't his (shit) squad. If he doesn't fail, we can say surrounding himself with these types of blokes is one of the reasons why.
    OK

I think there's a difference between our 'number 1 priority' and the first bloke we sign.

If Moss was a value signing (and age 34 isn't past his prime for a keeper is it) then that's good business.
    Merrick has stated a #10 is his priority.

Happy to let that one play out.
    Agree. We're starting to paint the picture. I'll wait until it is finished before I judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles