Page 30 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

So enough of this banter. NBN confirmed tonight that Mariners have not yet signed BK.

The bigger news is they are interested in Hoole.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'll humour your ridiculousness here then.

Define, if you will, what classifies a club as 'functioning competently'?

And which clubs are competent and which ones aren't?

Also, if we shouldn't use the finals as barometer of success what should we use?
    Smurfs Victree Perth Heart WsW Roar

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    finals.jpg

Making the finals isn't everything though.. You have to be a competent club... Run efficiently...

Don't worry about making the finals... Just be competent and efficient...

Looks like teams who make the finals are automatically competent and efficient..

Seems odd.

Yeah, you failed to argue your point with that one. You want to be well run and would be happy to miss the finals in order to do so but picked the clubs who made the finals as the clubs you want to emulate? You are correct, however you haven't convinced anyone that making the finals should be something we aim for.

To help you along, there are 3 clubs (us, marinators and Kiwis) who are run like a joke. We don't have any real plans in place other than buy rejects and hope they do better than the guys last year. We all deserve to be relegated at some point.

Adelaide, Citeh and Roar are the next 3 who are having a poor run by mismanagement but have enough intelligent people in them to stay competitive and keep up with the current level of the A league. Citeh should be stronger given the advantages they have as a club but can't get their act together yet and become a force in the league. Adelaide need to prove that this year was just a blip and Roar need to settle their owner situation.

Shitney, Wanderers, Victory and Perth have a style of play, a name for themselves that attracts good players and are driving the league forward.

Merrick needs to make us somewhat competitive on the field in order to attract better players next year.

Gypo CEO needs to sort us out behind the scenes so that we can get these better players to actually sign and be happy.
    He also needs to get 15000 people to games somehow. Merrick needs to help him by playing good football but it's Lawrie's job to run us properly.

If we make the finals this year, or the year afterwards than that will go along way to putting bums on seats. Get the crowd numbers up and keep them coming back, It's easier to make money with a large crowd coming here every week rather than charging people double and just having 5000 show up each fortnight.

So finals football, whilst definitely NOT guaranteeing we are being run better, is both a helping factor and a good barometer of a club being run well. If we don't make the finals, although it doesn't mean we aren't moving in the right direction, could hinder us finding better players and slow us down in our progress.

There's no point getting rid of these players on stupid contracts if we can't attract anyone better! We will just keep paying overs for players and never get anywhere. At some point we just need to work hard and become a bit better with the players we have, improve the roster the season after and repeat until we are champions of Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    This

And Barca don't have the problem of signing a decent midfield and defence to replace the dross they have, all within a salary cap.

FFS we came stone motherless last and our number 1 signing priority is a 2nd keeper. It's like upgrading the windows in your house while it's burning to the ground.

The club should be signing the best 2nd keeper they can, providing they are on min wage, young and can be developed. Not wasting money on keepers well past their prime.
    Surely you are trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    So enough of this banter. NBN confirmed tonight that Mariners have not yet signed BK.

would rather moss then him honestly

as long as we don't sign him I'm happy, don't wanna see him back at our club

without even trying to rationalise the Members posts, I'm assuming his point is along these lines.
    1. A well run club should 'expect' to make the finals every year.
    2. A well run club making the finals every year should be aiming to win the comp.
    3. Wanderers made the finals this year but would consider their season a failure.
    4. If we finished on the same points as them this year we'd consider the same season a success.

CEO and Manager (pretty much because there doesnt seem to be anyone else working t the Jets anymore) are in charge of making the club realistically make the semis every year on their way to competing for the title.

I honestly believe thats a much bigger (and infinitely more important) task than just making the semis in year one or two.

Because (hopefully) a well run club with realistic aspirations can change CEO, Manager, Marquee players without ever dropping into the turd bucket where teams like us reside at the moment.

Id love to see the club at the same level as Brisbane, WSW, Victory where it personnel turnover doesn't seem to create any real drama.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    without even trying to rationalise the Members posts, I'm assuming his point is along these lines.
    1. A well run club should 'expect' to make the finals every year.
    2. A well run club making the finals every year should be aiming to win the comp.
    3. Wanderers made the finals this year but would consider their season a failure.
    4. If we finished on the same points as them this year we'd consider the same season a success.

CEO and Manager (pretty much because there doesnt seem to be anyone else working t the Jets anymore) are in charge of making the club realistically make the semis every year on their way to competing for the title.

I honestly believe thats a much bigger (and infinitely more important) task than just making the semis in year one or two.

Because (hopefully) a well run club with realistic aspirations can change CEO, Manager, Marquee players without ever dropping into the turd bucket where teams like us reside at the moment.

Id love to see the club at the same level as Brisbane, WSW, Victory where it personnel turnover doesn't seem to create any real drama.
    Thanks buddy

At least there is one smart man on the foz who understands it

Dreamin. They're big clubs who wanna have a crack. We dont

Thanks buddy

At least there is one smart man on the foz who understands it
    im not sure someone needs to be 'smart' to understand you.

maybe just a little more 'off centre'.

cheers though.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

cheers though.
    Not all of us have children to filter The Members posts through to decrypt the dribble he posts.

Thanks for the info though.

Banned

cheers though.
    So you saying I really need a translator ??

So you saying I really need a translator ??
    There's a lot of things you need. A translator is fairly low on the priority list. Plague is doing a pretty good job right now. Even if he is your multi.

Put this in last night but it got lost in the ongoing rant above.

HOOLE TO THE GYPOS POSSIBLE....farken.

Banned
    Put this in last night but it got lost in the ongoing rant above.

HOOLE TO THE GYPOS POSSIBLE....farken.
    Didn't get lost

Can't his agent find him a deal in the Hungarian 3rd division if the impending moves to the Bernabau Old Trafford Parc Des Prince fall through??

Didn't get lost

Can't his agent find him a deal in the Hungarian 3rd division if the impending moves to the Bernabau Old Trafford Parc Des Prince fall through??
    I hope he signs with gypos.....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

I actually think he'd be a bit of a loss. Shit attitude yes but something a decent manager and some age may change. I felt he was a scapegoat for last years shit and actually creates a fair few chances. A decent striker would have put away a few of these which we didn't have last season. He's Aussie and wouldn't be on crazy money. Would provide good depth out wide and handy coming off the bench running at tired legs if we had signed a superior winger to him. I honestly believe he will grow into a very capable A league player. Unfortunately many people (including himself) have much higher expectations of him which I think contributes to previously mentioned attitude issue.

His problem is an agent turning his head. When we first tried to swap him with Carney the agent said it would be a step backwards and his next move would be Europe.
    Then when he gets an offer it gets knocked back because of offers in Europe. If he goes to the Mariners I can see him doing a Hearfield.

Banned
    His problem is an agent turning his head. When we first tried to swap him with Carney the agent said it would be a step backwards and his next move would be Europe.
    Then when he gets an offer it gets knocked back because of offers in Europe. If he goes to the Mariners I can see him doing a Hearfield.
    Ducking pies being thrown at him??

Ducking pies being thrown at him??
    Hair dryers and combs....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.