Page 45 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Mind you, this is the Guest visa spot that Essien & Diamanti didn't qualify for. Convincing the FFA of the calibre of player a club wants to sign to this rule is a lot of work. And judging off the things I've seen Victory & SFC CEOs do, compared to ours, I don't hold much faith in ours tbh.
    Essien qualified, didn't he? I thought he just turned down the offer last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Really! There you go. Learnt something today
    Guests are highly restrictive to get approved so it's not a reliable option. A spare Visa spot would allow us to recruit a foreign injury replacement for an Australian player if we ever needed it.

Say if Nabbout, Boogs or Ugarkovic were long term injured, finding equivalent Australian replacements is almost impossible mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    All good to speculate just the chances are so remote. Milligan would be a dream if it ever came off.

What hasn't been mentioned yet about Lawrie's NBN interview is that he stated we may only sign 3 more players, not 4, and not use our 5th Visa signing.

That would mean Petratos, Chinese Player and new Marquee to round out the squad.

2 Chinese players are coming to trial in July for that position.
    I will be very shocked if we sign a marquee this season. I think McKinna is just drubbing up media hype with that one.

So Petratos, Chinese Winger and maybe a new midfielder?
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Essien qualified, didn't he? I thought he just turned down the offer last minute.
    There is guests and then there is Tim Cahill guests where the FFA pay part of the freight.

Essien had previously agreed, not sure guest or marquee, but backed out for a regular contract.

Victory wanted the FFA to pay for part of Diamanté's guest contract out of the fund but FFA knocked them back

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I will be very shocked if we sign a marquee this season. I think McKinna is just drubbing up media hype with that one.

So Petratos, Chinese Winger and maybe a new midfielder?
    Watch the interview. He has become extremely bullish over night, like it's now a done deal, and said it would be announced this week

My wild speculation is that they got the deal signed off from Martin Lee and met with Burns to tie up the deal during the trip to China.

Just before the trip McKinna was talking down the prospects of a marquee, then he returns and it's on

Banned
    Watch the interview. He has become extremely bullish over night, like it's now a done deal, and said it would be announced this week
    I calling bs it announced this week

Socceroos play tonight

The code is going to be in the paper tomorrow regardless

Why hide the news in behind this

Wait until free air to maximise publicity

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Socceroos play tonight

Watching it again, Lawrie says they were waiting on the FFA signing off on next seasons grant which will occur this week. That was a contingency on Martin Lee approving a marquee. So yes, didn't exactly say deal would be done by Friday but budget would be and deal could then go through.

My take was that we have had a marquee offer tabled and agreed to a player already, but nothing could and would be finalised until the money available was confirmed.

His body language and what he says has completely changed from this 2 way bet stuff to now posting on twitter yesterday that supporters should be impressed at these new signings, like it's now past tense. Take of it what you will

Socceroos play tonight

Pretty optimistic about tonights game even being in the paper..
    It will be all about some hand-egg player who might miss out on origin in a fortnight..

All good to speculate just the chances are so remote. Milligan would be a dream if it ever came off.

What hasn't been mentioned yet about Lawrie's NBN interview is that he stated we may only sign 3 more players, not 4, and not use our 5th Visa signing.

That would mean Petratos, Chinese Player and new Marquee to round out the squad.

2 Chinese players are coming to trial in July for that position.
    Not saying you're wrong but I took when he said about signing 3 more players, that meant after Dimi. Because he'd been previously mentioned in the conversation and was spoken about as if it was basically done. If that was the case youd have Dimi, potential marquee, Chinese player plus 1 other Aussie maybe a Holland or Spira fingers crossed

Watching it again, Lawrie says they were waiting on the FFA signing off on next seasons grant which will occur this week. That was a contingency on Martin Lee approving a marquee. So yes, didn't exactly say deal would be done by Friday but budget would be and deal could then go through.

My take was that we have had a marquee offer tabled and agreed to a player already, but nothing could and would be finalised until the money available was confirmed.

His body language and what he says has completely changed from this 2 way bet stuff to now posting on twitter yesterday that supporters should be impressed at these new signings, like it's now past tense. Take of it what you will
    I didn't watch the TV interview so you probably know more than me on this... however what i read in the paper made it sound like he was building up the notion of spending outside the cap on a marquee but actually just moving half of Kanta's wages and 25% of Cowburns using loyalty allowances. Happy to be wrong on this tho, just tempering myself with this muppet in charge still.

Would love to see us sign Burns tho. Dimi is better than Hoole so that's a good move I guess as well. Chinese Ronaldo could be anyone or any position or any quality, no idea. Which means we should sign probably 1 more midfielder no matter what. Doesn't even have to be a visa player, just 1 more mid better than Kanta would be a start.

Also, just realised we released Mullen so we are very light at CB now as well. Jeez. I kind of hope the Chinese Ronaldo is actually a Chinese Chiellini...
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I didn't watch the TV interview so you probably know more than me on this... however what i read in the paper made it sound like he was building up the notion of spending outside the cap on a marquee but actually just moving half of Kanta's wages and 25% of Cowburns using loyalty allowances. Happy to be wrong on this tho, just tempering myself with this muppet in charge still.
    Agree, I thought so too and I have been the biggest pessimist about signing players. I was pretty certain we wouldn't sign anyone.

But it's seemingly all changed. Maybe the grant is a higher than what we were expecting or Burns has jumped at our low ball offer.

Would love to see us sign Burns tho. Dimi is better than Hoole so that's a good move I guess as well. Chinese Ronaldo could be anyone or any position or any quality, no idea. Which means we should sign probably 1 more midfielder no matter what. Doesn't even have to be a visa player, just 1 more mid better than Kanta would be a start.

Also, just realised we released Mullen so we are very light at CB now as well. Jeez. I kind of hope the Chinese Ronaldo is actually a Chinese Chiellini...
    He was pretty clear on the numbers. It' was 4 with a Visa but now looking like 3 without.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Not saying you're wrong but I took when he said about signing 3 more players, that meant after Dimi. Because he'd been previously mentioned in the conversation and was spoken about as if it was basically done. If that was the case youd have Dimi, potential marquee, Chinese player plus 1 other Aussie maybe a Holland or Spira fingers crossed
    Ha you could be right. I have watched it several times now and you can take what he says different ways.

[edit]The only reason I doubt that is brfore Petratos came available again, the numbers were clear that we would sign 4 more players. So to me, he is included in the 3 or 4. But we should know soon enough
    Last edited by borat; 08-06-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Banned
    Slow down and stop for a second

It never ceases to amaze me the BS this club feeds the fans and we buy it hook line and sinker

Marquees??

Burns
    Holland
    Milligan
    ??

FFS

We really should be happy in Petratos Our Caravan and Georgevski we have signed A League level players

Where the shit **** Sam Gallagher, Devante Clut like signings this year??

I call McKinna's BS more than anyone......including the signing of rubbish Toronto based coaches.. ...but this seems legit and not just a pipe dream.

Will know by next week

Chinese Ronaldo could be anyone or any position or any quality, no idea. Which means we should sign probably 1 more midfielder no matter what. Doesn't even have to be a visa player, just 1 more mid better than Kanta would be a start.

I thought so too but forgot about Jonny K. Suppose between him and to a leaser extent Kanta we have "ok" coverage at DM and CB. Still light on when compared to bigger clubs though.

I call McKinna's BS more than anyone......including the signing of rubbish Toronto based coaches.. ...but this seems legit and not just a pipe dream.

Will know by next week
    Its pronounced Tronno. And that's twice in two days you've mentioned it. Obvs from Belmont and just jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Its pronounced Tronno. And that's twice in two days you've mentioned it. Obvs from Belmont and just jealous.
    Hahaha touché

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Belmont??

He obviously not from Newy at all if he not know it Tronno

Burn him at the stake

Belmont??

He obviously not from Newy at all if he not know it Tronno

Burn him at the stake
    Now now.....no need to get nasty. I am firmly from the right side of the channel I will have you know