Page 51 of 135 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Some people around here will never be happy..
    It makes me unhappy you think that way, Bon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Good Signing IMO Knows how to defend and can actually tackle without getting sent off. Will help defend set pieces as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Sure, good options.

Especially Ansell.

However, no current Socceroo would come here.
    Ansell is probably looking for an Asia/Euro deal after finishing up with Victory.

It's one thing to say they're available as options, but REALISTIC options, they are not.[\quote]

You have to be trolling. None current socceroos and even NTS is a former socceroo. All are just as likely to come to the Jets if we went for them, bar Spiranovic,

They wouldn't take the same coin as NTS, and we can't offer more, in our current situation.

If Boogs was gone, it'd be another story, and we could throw more at them.
    You have got to be trolling. There are plenty of CB options available, and none are current Socceroos.

Why in gods name you think "in our current situation" we aren't offering NTS much is baffling. I would suggest an salary up with Kokko and Boogs is most likely.

2009-2012 Signed by Culina at the Jets on 250k a season. Had a year left on his contract but was moved on by GVE and took a payout to take a foundation spot at WSW

One of the Jets’ highest earners on about $250,000 a season, Topor-Stanley’s exit continued a major clean out of senior players.
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/20...h-west-sydney/

2012-2016 Wanderers foundation player 2 year deal and extended for a 2nd 2 year deal. Was captain and still under contract when released to join Hatta Club in the UAE.

Topor-Stanley was one of the highest earners beneath the salary cap at the Wanderers
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/w...13-gs1sfa.html

2016-2017 Realeased by Wanderers from final year on contact and joined Hatta Club on a 1 + 1 year deal with

Popovic publicly gave his blessing for the defender to leave early to sign a lucrative contract with Hatta

You know I don't know exactly what NTS salary is. But the chances that NTS suddenly decided to take anything less than 250-200k after 6 years on the gravy train is not realistic imo. He could have taken any number of lucrative deals, if not in the gulf then Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Some people around here will never be happy..
    Signings like this make me deliriously happy.

Let's just be happy the CEO didn't bring his mate Hutcho out of retirement to well and truly Eff' the club.

I will say though, this has been a pretty large cleanout from the start of last season to where we are now. Which many have been asking for over the last season or two. Hopefully we made better decisions with contracts this time round, but i'm not confident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Sure, good options.

Especially Ansell.

However, no current Socceroo would come here.
    Ansell is probably looking for an Asia/Euro deal after finishing up with Victory.

It's one thing to say they're available as options, but REALISTIC options, they are not.

They wouldn't take the same coin as NTS, and we can't offer more, in our current situation.

If Boogs was gone, it'd be another story, and we could throw more at them.
    You're kidding if you think NTS is not on a pretty big pay packet. I reckon we could have got Ansell for less coin easily

NTS started in 22 games in the UAE and played the full 90 mins in each of them.
    He did not miss any games due to injury or suspension.

I think his experience alongside Boogs should form a very good partnership at the back for us which should clean up all our defensive woes from last season.
    Boogs will be able to play with a lot more confidence as well knowing NTS is beside him - rather than be always in two minds worrying about a rookie or an a-league pretend defender fooking up.

For the first time in many years we will have a defence that will look imposing to our opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    It's not like NTS ever contributed to a consistently successful A-league club, or had a hand in winning an ACL title. I see him as a solid upgrade over Mullen which isn't a bad thing. For those speculating over $$, we don't know what he's been offered, or whether he was just desperate to come home. How much was he on at his former club?
    Ahhh did you watch his performances in his last season and a half at the Wanderers? I posted a link to an article dedicated to why the Wanderers couldn't wait to get rid of NTS. They even broke their club policy against mid season transfers just to move him on.

Maybe he will turn his form around to what he was at the start of his Wanderers career in 2012-2014........but I doubt it. And even if he could manage that, at age 32, how will that complement Boogs. The only way this makes any sense, as others have suggested, is if Boogs is being moved on.

Why did we not just sign Thwaite as we were going to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    You're kidding if you think NTS is not on a pretty big pay packet.
    Topor def taking that Newy chick discount.

He knows where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    This x 50 billion.

Going to be some beautiful football this year at Matathon Stadium.

Get yer tickets early.
    *Newcastle International Sports Centre

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    You have got to be trolling. There are plenty of CB options available, and none are current Socceroos.

Why in gods name you think "in our current situation" we aren't offering NTS much is baffling. I would suggest an salary up with Kokko and Boogs is most likely.

2009-2012 Signed by Culina at the Jets on 250k a season. Had a year left on his contract but was moved on by GVE and took a payout to take a foundation spot at WSW

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/20...h-west-sydney/

2012-2016 Wanderers foundation player 2 year deal and extended for a 2nd 2 year deal. Was captain and still under contract when released to join Hatta Club in the UAE.

2016-2017 Realeased by Wanderers from final year on contact and joined Hatta Club on a 1 + 1 year deal with

You know I don't know exactly what NTS salary is. But the chances that NTS suddenly decided to take anything less than 250-200k after 6 years on the gravy train is not realistic imo. He could have taken any number of lucrative deals, if not in the gulf then Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore etc.
    his wife/partner is from Newcastle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Seriously, with the players we have recruited, it's very likely to be the tactics we employ.
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    It's not like NTS ever contributed to a consistently successful A-league club, or had a hand in winning an ACL title. I see him as a solid upgrade over Mullen which isn't a bad thing. For those speculating over $$, we don't know what he's been offered, or whether he was just desperate to come home. How much was he on at his former club?
    That was in the past

FFS Mario Jardel was golden boot winner in all of Europe 3/4 years and 6 years after winning the last one he ended up at the Jets

Doesn't make signing Topor a good idea now based on that does it??

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    Ok I can take that as a reason......but thats not what he said was it. You compare that with Kosta Barborouses who made it clear he was sacrificing salary for family reasons.

I would counter that he signed a 1 + 1 year deal at Hatta so he left, only October 2016, with the expectation he was staying 2 years. Only that Hatta declined to take up the extra year.

I reckon he's just coming back for a couple of seasons before he joins the Jaffas with the Griffs

I was about to ask this question.

Would certainly aid his return.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

well **** me.

Im glad we've all found out that NTS is on a million $ a year and that he only came here for the $. He also never publicly said he wasn't happy in UAE.

Imagine if the jerks just openly said his salary & he made everyone aware that he was homesick and/or his wife is preggas and wants to return home.

We'd have nothing to bitch about other than his slow speed or shit ability!

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That was in the past

FFS Mario Jardel was golden boot winner in all of Europe 3/4 years and 6 years after winning the last one he ended up at the Jets

Doesn't make signing Topor a good idea now based on that does it??
    If Topor has declined that much, why do we automatically assume him to still be on mega money?? People on here just tend to take both contradicting scenarios and assume the worst in each.

I'd like to think more realistically, either a) the guy still has it, and we're paying him well to be here, or b) he's declined, no one else wants him and he was happy to accept a reasonable offer to keep playing at the highest level in Oz. Call me naïve, but none of us are any wiser until they do start publishing wages.

So does that leave 2 or 3 spots left to fill?

Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    So does that leave 2 or 3 spots left to fill?
    2 spots remaining.

For me, we need a winger and CAM or 2 wingers. We have no depth out wide.

Poor Topor. Very sad news indeed.