Page 52 of 135 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    2 spots remaining.

For me, we need a winger and CAM or 2 wingers. We have no depth out wide.
    Knowing this club they will sign a wide receiver and a tight End.

Ok signing. Who cares if he is on 250k. Apparently that's what Mullen was earning and TPS is an upgrade. Much more commanding CB and with the extra being added to the salary cap who cares. He isn't as slow as some people have mentioned. Decent top speed just looks awkward going along. Doesn't take up a visa spot and now have two experienced CB to baby Jackson along the way who is still a work in progress. Very good communicator which is very underrated in a team like ours. Was missing in last years games when the team couldn't close out games. I firmly believe we will concede far fewer goals than last year with the current defenders we have.
    Time to move on lads. It was a signing that the club needed to make

2 spots remaining.

For me, we need a winger and CAM or 2 wingers. We have no depth out wide.
    Dimi is a CAM, cover with Clut, Brown and Shabow (Not great depth I know). Definitely need a winger. I think we also need a deeper central midfielder. Ugar is the only one is the squad that is above NPL level

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Ok signing. Who cares if he is on 250k. Apparently that's what Mullen was earning and TPS is an upgrade. Much more commanding CB and with the extra being added to the salary cap who cares. He isn't as slow as some people have mentioned. Decent top speed just looks awkward going along. Doesn't take up a visa spot and now have two experienced CB to baby Jackson along the way who is still a work in progress. Very good communicator which is very underrated in a team like ours. Was missing in last years games when the team couldn't close out games. I firmly believe we will concede far fewer goals than last year with the current defenders we have.
    Time to move on lads. It was a signing that the club needed to make
    Good post. If we can fill the remaining 2 spots with quality then his salary becomes irrelevant because we have been able to fit the players within the budget. I've been saying a while I will judge the squad as a whole once it's signed.

Some interesting points on NTS - He did captain us on 9 occassions and will bring the leadership we need. You are bang on that was something missing last year. From a card liability sense, he was never sent off for the Jets and got just 10 bookings in 81 appearances.

He also scored 4 goals during his time. He was also part of 21 clean sheets. For comparison, Boogaard (who has made 41 A-League appearances for the Jets, has been involved in 6).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Dimi is a CAM, cover with Clut, Brown and Shabow (Not great depth I know). Definitely need a winger. I think we also need a deeper central midfielder. Ugar is the only one is the squad that is above NPL level
    I get what you mean and yes I think we could also do with a body in CDM too. Could Johnny K fit the role?

I chose the winger because we have a few options in the CDM (regardless of the quality) while out wide we are really missing some pace with Hoole's departure.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Burns is an absolute priority. Having him in that front third would take our squad to a whole new level. Having a quality DM like milligan or similar will cap off a good solid squad but I think it's a bit much to be asking until the club starts turning its fortunes around. If we are in a decent place come January then players will truely see us as a viable option career wise. Quality players will start to find us a very attractive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Burns is an absolute priority. Having him in that front third would take our squad to a whole new level.
    It's been very quiet regarding any departure of Burns from Tokyo - either by mutual ceassation or other. Having a cursory look through the fixtures and results (http://www.fctokyo.co.jp/fixture_results) of FC Tokyo, he started and was substituted after 61 in an early round cup game, was an unused sub a few weeks later and got on in the 89th minute a few weeks after that - all since Feb. Regardless, we certainly won't pay a tranfer fee for him.

If he comes to us, at least he will be fresh. Sounds like his career has certainly stalled at FC Tokyo.

Good post. If we can fill the remaining 2 spots with quality then his salary becomes irrelevant because we have been able to fit the players within the budget. I've been saying a while I will judge the squad as a whole once it's signed.
    1 of those 2 will be an unknown Chinese player, with 2 coming out to trial in July.

So considering its going to be a lottery as to how good this player is, its very likely we are going to end up with a squad short on talent in either DM or AM/RW. And to be fair this is Mark Jones fault for signing players like Shabow and Kosta Petratos when we could have used those squad places to sign starting players.

GK- Duncan, Moss
    FB- Cowburn, Hoffman, Alessi, Vujica, Georgievski
    CB- Boogaard, Topor-Stanley, Jackson, Koutrombis
    CM- Kantarovski, Brown, Ugarkovic
    AM- Shabow, Clut
    WM- Nabbout, D Petratos
    ST- O'Donovan, Kokko, K Petratos,

U20's- Alessi, K Petratos, Koutrombis, Shabow
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    GK- Duncan, Moss
    FB- Cowburn, Hoffman, Alessi, Vujica, Georgievski
    CB- Boogaard, Topor-Stanley, Jackson, Koutrombis
    CM- Kantarovski, Brown, Ugarkovic
    AM- Shabow, Clut
    WM- Nabbout, D Petratos

U20's- Alessi, K Petratos, Koutrombis, Shabow
    Looking at it like this makes it quite clear where we need to recruit and where we need to trim some dead weight.

We need to be like those proactive clubs who find a new home for their dead weight. Blokes like Kokko and Clut aren't going to get a run so move them on, we have 5 Fullbacks FFS, why do we need 5 Fullbacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Looking at it like this makes it quite clear where we need to recruit and where we need to trim some dead weight.

We need to be like those proactive clubs who find a new home for their dead weight. Blokes like Kokko and Clut aren't going to get a run so move them on, we have 5 Fullbacks FFS, why do we need 5 Fullbacks?
    I would disagree that dimi is a winger, of the belief we plan on using him as an attacking mid

there's every chance cowburn isn't used as a fullback, he's been a cm and i believe even cb before and Bernie might see him as better in that position instead

kokko aint getting moved on, could see clut moving on now that dimi is at the club
    Last edited by Mark325; 14-06-2017 at 04:50 PM.

It's not quite as clear cut with players who cover multiple positions. I think its more like

GK- Duncan, Moss
    RB- Hoffman, Cowburn
    LB - Vujica, Georgievski
    CB- Boogaard, Topor-Stanley, Jackson, Alessi
    DM- Kantarovski, Brown, Ugarkovic, Koutroumbis
    AM- Petratos, Shabow, Clut
    LW/RW- Nabbout,

U20's- Alessi, K Petratos, Koutrombis, Shabow, Vujica

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    If Topor has declined that much, why do we automatically assume him to still be on mega money?? People on here just tend to take both contradicting scenarios and assume the worst in each.

I'd like to think more realistically, either a) the guy still has it, and we're paying him well to be here, or b) he's declined, no one else wants him and he was happy to accept a reasonable offer to keep playing at the highest level in Oz. Call me naïve, but none of us are any wiser until they do start publishing wages.
    You haven't seen us repeatedly sign players well over their market value before? But this time its different yeah......

And why he chose to come back to Newcastle I would suggest is a combination of

1. $$$$$$
    2. Merrick wants him as he suits the style of play he likes
    3. We now have money to spend, thanks to Martin Lee, without the squad spaces to spend it on.
    4. Other younger quality CB's didn't want to commit career suicide by coming back to Australia to play for what was the worst team in the league
    5. He knows Newcastle from his time here so didn't take too much persuading
    6. His GF is from here

we have 5 Fullbacks FFS, why do we need 5 Fullbacks?
    I would say that only three of those blokes (Vujica, Georgievski and Hoff) are pure fullbacks and even then, Hoff has been used many times in other roles. Cowburn and Alessi are likely there for youth + versatility.

I also don't think Dimi is a winger. Agree with those that suggest we will use him in the middle. I think he's said that's his preferred position in the past and would have been part of the attraction playing for us in playing there.

Kosta... I don't know. FM has him as right sided left midfielder/striker (similar to Brymora?), Perth news articles when it was announced had "attacking midfield Kosta joins brother Dimi at Jets" and the forum is adamant he is a striker. Is he basically a young attacker that hasn't sorted out a position yet?

I would say that only three of those blokes (Vujica, Georgievski and Hoff) are pure fullbacks and even then, Hoff has been used many times in other roles. Cowburn and Alessi are likely there for youth + versatility.

I also don't think Dimi is a winger. Agree with those that suggest we will use him in the middle. I think he's said that's his preferred position in the past and would have been part of the attraction playing for us in playing there.

Kosta... I don't know. FM has him as right sided left midfielder/striker (similar to Brymora?), Perth news articles when it was announced had "attacking midfield Kosta joins brother Dimi at Jets" and the forum is adamant he is a striker. Is he basically a young attacker that hasn't sorted out a position yet?
    In the times he played for Perth I only saw him as a Striker.....but maybe that's why is played so poorly. Press called him a striker when he signed for us, but yeah seems to have played AM before. Honestly don't think he will see any game time

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    You haven't seen us repeatedly sign players well over their market value before? But this time its different yeah......

And why he chose to come back to Newcastle I would suggest is a combination of

1. $$$$$$
    2. Merrick wants him as he suits the style of play he likes
    3. We now have money to spend, thanks to Martin Lee, without the squad spaces to spend it on.
    4. Other younger quality CB's didn't want to commit career suicide by coming back to Australia to play for what was the worst team in the league
    5. He knows Newcastle from his time here so didn't take too much persuading
    6. His GF is from here
    Previous owners repeatedly sign players over their market value? Yes. Lee? Not so much.

1. How much? We don't know.
    2. That's a positive right?
    3. See #1.
    4. Not worth a response.
    5. Seems to contradict coming for mega bucks.
    6. Also seems to contradict coming for mega bucks.

Ultimately if we get whatever other targets we have our eye on, I don't give a shit what he's getting paid and I don't know why everyone else cares, or tries to speculate on it. The Jets have made a decision to sign him, thrown X amount of $ at him and whether it was worth it will come out in the wash in the standings. Whether he's on 500k or playing for a meat pie & a coke every week, if he's not doing his job at the back, the club will suffer for it. If he helps propel us up the table then happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    In the times he played for Perth I only saw him as a Striker.....but maybe that's why is played so poorly. Press called him a striker when he signed for us, but yeah seems to have played AM before. Honestly don't think he will see any game time
    Yeah, agree. If he, Clut, Alessi, Vujica or Shabow get significant game time, we're not going to be pushing finals football.

Hope I am wrong though and one of them has a monster season and proves us all wrong.

Ugabooga and Jonny K are the future of our CM.

Merrick should either coach em up and let them play or sell them now and get what he wants.

Having either of those blokes riding the pine in the hope of 10 mins here or there is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Previous owners repeatedly sign players over their market value? Yes. Lee? Not so much.

1. How much? We don't know.
    2. That's a positive right?
    3. See #1.
    4. Not worth a response.
    5. Seems to contradict coming for mega bucks.
    6. Also seems to contradict coming for mega bucks.

Ultimately if we get whatever other targets we have our eye on, I don't give a shit what he's getting paid and I don't know why everyone else cares, or tries to speculate on it. The Jets have made a decision to sign him, thrown X amount of $ at him and whether it was worth it will come out in the wash in the standings. Whether he's on 500k or playing for a meat pie & a coke every week, if he's not doing his job at the back, the club will suffer for it. If he helps propel us up the table then happy days.
    I was giving an honest opinion why I think he was returning, when you raised the question. Hatta opted not to take the 2nd year option so here he is.

If you want to debate the quality of players in comparison to others and ignore their value, then that's a pretty pointless discussion in this league.

It obviously matters and is more than relevant than any discussion on this forum. It's also why the press reports on it.

[edit] also no contradiction at 5 & 6, everyone has their priorities in choosing their employment
    Last edited by borat; 14-06-2017 at 05:49 PM.

I'm as pessimistic as the next Jets supporter but so far the squad looks to be a dramatic improvement over last season already.
    The back 4 look solid
    The midfield is workman like though a question mark remains on creativity, and the forwards look capable of scoring goals.

From where we have been in recent times things are certainly improving.

A playmaker is all we need.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-06-2017 at 05:52 PM.