Page 56 of 135 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    What's going on Member?

You sat this juicy little morsel up there and no one even took a nibble?

Losing your touch son.

Maybe the Jets aren't the only ones who need a big off season.
    Shhh.

Someone might find the thing

Quote Originally Posted by steve136 View Post
    Wait for our next signing to be Mark Bridge and for the forum to implode
    Thats my pick

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Thats why Burns is perfect because he can play any of the frontline positions
    That being said if we signed Burns he would arguably be our best player

You don't put your best player in fill in roles

You give him his best position and make the other shit ****s in the squad play out of position

Bert obviously has dealt with Burns before so he plays wherever Bert sees fit

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    That being said if we signed Burns he would arguably be our best player

You don't put your best player in fill in roles

You give him his best position and make the other shit ****s in the squad play out of position

Bert obviously has dealt with Burns before so he plays wherever Bert sees fit
    We would play him in a wide attacking role or in behind the striker in my opinion. Actually he would allow for a number of different formations the more I think of it.

My point was that if an injury struck to O'Donovan then we would have a more than capable replacement with a slight shuffling of the team.

Gypo up front, Burns next to him and Kokko at centreback with Topor.

Best team.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Gypo up front, Burns next to him and Kokko at centreback with Topor.

Best team.
    Kokko needs to be upfront to give NTS and Boogs something to aim for

Banned
    Kokko needs to be upfront to give NTS and Boogs something to aim for
    If we play that strategy we can buypass the midfield

Play 8 at the back and 2 up front

The speculated wage of o Donovan was $250k and that was us outbidding other clubs.

How some people can then assume we would be paying the same for Stoppor Tanley is baffling. My bet.. somewhere between. $140-170k

Perhaps this is the benefit of having a reputable coach and their pulling power?

For the record, Stoppor is a good get and very reliable defensively. Merrick is putting together a nice looking squad.

Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    The speculated wage of o Donovan was $250k and that was us outbidding other clubs.

How some people can then assume we would be paying the same for Stoppor Tanley is baffling. My bet.. somewhere between. $140-170k

Perhaps this is the benefit of having a reputable coach and their pulling power?

For the record, Stoppor is a good get and very reliable defensively. Merrick is putting together a nice looking squad.
    There is zero chance NTS has taken a 60% pay cut to come play for the coach not good enough for the Nix.

But cool story nonetheless

We afford NTS due to the increase in salary cap 300k, and to the increased player budget which allows for a marquee and a home grown player allowance. That takes 2 player salaries out of the cap which then leaves additionally 400k extra in the cap.

There is zero chance NTS has taken a 60% pay cut to come play for the coach not good enough for the Nix.

You can't say there is zero chance of anything, unless you are NTS himself, I'd say. Maybe he didn't like the lifestyle in Dubai and wanted to get back to the Newy beaches.. maybe Ange Postecoglu told him he needed to come home to be in the Socceroos radar again.. maybe hundreds of potential scenarios have unfolded that not-NTS isn't aware of. Didn't Ryan Griffiths offer to play for minimum salary because he wanted to be part of the club again? What's to say NTS hasn't done similar?

I reckon it is highly likely we are paying NTS in the vicinity of 200-300k. But I'm only guessing, and refuse to rule out any possibility. Hell, I've heard Boogaard is on significantly higher than that so I don't put anything past our club!

Saying there is zero chance is IMO as naive (is that how you spell that??) as completely shutting out any possibility of Mark Milligan returning to Australia, even after reading his intentionally open-ended comments about it. He basically confirmed it, yes, but he never said anything completely concrete intentionally. And even if he DID say something concrete intentionally, take Andrew Hoole's example of heading to Europe for how "easily" footballers change their minds.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You can't say there is zero chance of anything, unless you are NTS himself, I'd say. Maybe he didn't like the lifestyle in Dubai and wanted to get back to the Newy beaches.. maybe Ange Postecoglu told him he needed to come home to be in the Socceroos radar again.. maybe hundreds of potential scenarios have unfolded that not-NTS isn't aware of. Didn't Ryan Griffiths offer to play for minimum salary because he wanted to be part of the club again? What's to say NTS hasn't done similar?

I reckon it is highly likely we are paying NTS in the vicinity of 200-300k. But I'm only guessing, and refuse to rule out any possibility. Hell, I've heard Boogaard is on significantly higher than that so I don't put anything past our club!

Saying there is zero chance is IMO as naive (is that how you spell that??) as completely shutting out any possibility of Mark Milligan returning to Australia, even after reading his intentionally open-ended comments about it. He basically confirmed it, yes, but he never said anything completely concrete intentionally. And even if he DID say something concrete intentionally, take Andrew Hoole's example of heading to Europe for how "easily" footballers change their minds.
    No, you are right, I am NTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

No, you are right, I am NTS.
    Please bring back the beard

OK

This was good value when he was here last....think he actually scored soon after.

There's things such as investment properties, tax brackets and lifestyle choices that all come into play when looking at a salary offer. Please don't be so naive to think this bloke hasn't done the sums when weighing up all these considerations amongst many more. Sometimes accepting a pay cut when you have a long term plan in place where you can write the loss off elsewhere isn't the dumbest move ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    There's things such as investment properties, tax brackets and lifestyle choices that all come into play when looking at a salary offer. Please don't be so naive to think this bloke hasn't done the sums when weighing up all these considerations amongst many more. Sometimes accepting a pay cut when you have a long term plan in place where you can write the loss off elsewhere isn't the dumbest move ever.
    That's very true.

I wonder whether we, the punter, underestimate the impact lifesyle in Newcastle has for players. Generally, people don't know who you are so you don't get bothered. The cost of housing is significantly less than Sydney. You can pretty much access a beach for a 15 minute drive. So a $200,000 offer from Sydney vs a $170,000 from the Jets might stack up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Pimping the lifestyle. Is that you, Con?

Pinging the lifestyle. Is that you, Stu?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    That's very true.

I wonder whether we, the punter, underestimate the impact lifesyle in Newcastle has for players. Generally, people don't know who you are so you don't get bothered. The cost of housing is significantly less than Sydney. You can pretty much access a beach for a 15 minute drive. So a $200,000 offer from Sydney vs a $170,000 from the Jets might stack up.
    Agreed. If I didn't already own a home in Sydney I wouldn't even consider working there for less than $350k a year. In Newcastle even on $200k or so you can live reasonably well if you watch your spending. Our old house at Castle Hill is a shitty little 3 bedroom single garage shack - last sold for around $1.3 m - insane considering the 60 to 90 min drive to city during peak hour - if yer lucky
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.