Page 57 of 135 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2687

Thread: 2017/18 Squad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Agreed. If I didn't already own a home in Sydney I wouldn't even consider working there for less than $350k a year. In Newcastle even on $200k or so you can live reasonably well of you watch your spending.
    Not all of us are old enough to be given land grants when the first settlers arrived though, Dunster.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Not all of us are old enough to be given land grants when the first settlers arrived though, Dunster.
    Is that how hawk acquired all of his wealth, too?

It's never been cheap to live in Sydney. I remember moving from Melbourne to Sydney and prices were effectively double for similar areas back in the 1970's.
    Where the big changes are is that the bottom of the market in Sydney has increased at a much faster rate than wages. The most affluent areas have not increased anywhere near as much.

For footballers, I think the price differential for living in Newcastle is something the club don't emphasise enough to potential recruits.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-06-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Is that how hawk acquired all of his wealth, too?
    Hawk made all his money when the US government broke up Standard Oil.

For footballers, I think the price differential for living in Newcastle is something the club don't emphasise enough to potential recruits.
    Agreed. I look at the almost luxurious <5 year old place I am living in for <$500 a week in Newy and compare it to the 50+ year old tinbox 1 bedroom apartment my friends live in in Sydney for >$500. We definitely don't promote that side of the club well enough.
    Last edited by Grimario; 16-06-2017 at 03:03 PM.

In Newcastle even on $200k or so you can live reasonably well if you watch your spending.
    You must be a pollie. You almost make it sound tricky to live on 200k a year

We definitely don't promote that side of the club well enough.
    Maybe we do.

Speaking of the ins and outs of NTS's wage, the advantage we had with him is that he already knew what it was like to live here. It may not have been a difficult decision. And although we got the spoon last year, we're not the basket case club we were a few years ago re: Tinkler/Stubbins et al. Things have steadied off field, we've made some solid, if not spectacular signings so far, we've got a coach who is presumably going to be safe & reliable, again if not the most spectacular addition a la Wellington Phoenix (I can't remember the guy's name). All that's left is to improve what's happening for 90mins a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    There's things such as investment properties, tax brackets and lifestyle choices that all come into play when looking at a salary offer. Please don't be so naive to think this bloke hasn't done the sums when weighing up all these considerations amongst many more. Sometimes accepting a pay cut when you have a long term plan in place where you can write the loss off elsewhere isn't the dumbest move ever.
    Wow Wilso.........I must say I hadn't factored in the pulling power Newcastle mangos/lifestyle but you are dead right.

Of course he is taking a paycut to move from the gulf, just not one that would put him in the lower pay earners in the HAL if not the Jets. A player on at 250k+ a season only 10 months ago in the HAL, the highest in the cap at the Wanderers, who then takes an upwards move to a club and league renown for double/trippling HAL wages (thats before factoring tax free status of working in the UAE), doesn't return for 150-130k......Although I guess I never factored in the package of waterfront properties in Wickham n tax brackets.........sigh

Have you ever considered that just maybe, NTS wanted to return to the HAL and we offered his asking price because Merrick wanted him? Outrageous I know. Of course its far more believable that master negotiator McKinna hoodwinked NTS and his manager into accepting a salary he was earning 8-10 years ago. Ok then...

Does anyone remember the feelings when NTS was bombed out by GvE? We were all so annoyed that he had been let go in the name of "playing it out from the back, high tempo, high pressing style of football". Granted at that stage he was 26.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Maybe we do.

Speaking of the ins and outs of NTS's wage, the advantage we had with him is that he already knew what it was like to live here. It may not have been a difficult decision. And although we got the spoon last year, we're not the basket case club we were a few years ago re: Tinkler/Stubbins et al. Things have steadied off field, we've made some solid, if not spectacular signings so far, we've got a coach who is presumably going to be safe & reliable, again if not the most spectacular addition a la Wellington Phoenix (I can't remember the guy's name). All that's left is to improve what's happening for 90mins a week.
    Yeah those 2 wooden spoons in 3 years, yearly manager changes, ownership changes......that must must all be super attractive to any player. But its ok, we are stable now yeah...........not like we have heard that before.

You see I can happily accept paying overs to recruit players. We are not an attractive club to come to, so to pay over the top of our competitors to get some experienced players and hopefully break the cycle of failure is worth it. Its the same at any club in our position and other sports. But its got to be the right players at the right age. As in not out of form and at the wrong end of their careers. I also think we are limiting ourselves to a very small pool of former HAL players due to an inability of management to establish even the most rudimentary level of scouting/recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Does anyone remember the feelings when NTS was bombed out by GvE? We were all so annoyed that he had been let go in the name of "playing it out from the back, high tempo, high pressing style of football". Granted at that stage he was 26.
    Wow that is looking at history through rose coloured glasses right there. Most people saw him as taking a massive part of our salary cap and were happy to see the back of him. Even the opinion pieces in the Herald at the time agreed with letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Wow that is looking at history through rose coloured glasses right there. Most people saw him as taking a massive part of our salary cap and were happy to see the back of him. Even the opinion pieces in the Herald at the time agreed with letting him go.
    Maybe I am thinking about the period where his contract was running out and other clubs were interested. The fans were incredulous the club weren't going to re-sign him before they eventually did.

I just remember there was a time where there was a fair bit of NTS love from the fans towards the big man and anger directed back at the club.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Maybe I am thinking about the period where his contract was running out and other clubs were interested. The fans were incredulous the club weren't going to re-sign him before they eventually did.

I just remember there was a time where there was a fair bit of NTS love from the fans towards the big man and anger directed back at the club.
    I think people liked his as a player but were pragmatic of the need to sign other players, mostly upfront. Of course we then went on to waste that 250k.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    You must be a pollie. You almost make it sound tricky to live on 200k a year
    It is tricky to buy a home on less money if you don't already have a large deposit - especially if you have a couple of kids, two cars, school expenses, healthcare, insurance, Utilities bills.... and so on.

I would not like to be supporting a family and trying to raise a deposit for a home - even at the low end of the market on an average wage.

And in the case of a professional footballer - good luck convincing a bank you are low risk when it comes to servicing a 30 year mortgage.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-06-2017 at 04:41 PM.

I am a Canberran, like Hyphen. So if anything I should be biased in his favour.

He's an appalling choice. With him, we'll never play the successful football we played in 2007-08.

And in the case of a professional footballer - good luck convincing a bank you are low risk when it comes to servicing a 30 year mortgage.
    A few players come back with enough OS coin to not require a mortgage - geez, know one or two who have paid cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I am a Canberran, like Hyphen. So if anything I should be biased in his favour.

He's an appalling choice. With him, we'll never play the successful football we played in 2007-08.
    this has gotta be one of the longest games in fozzle history. well played big C, not once have you ever wavered from the narrative

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I am a Canberran, .
    Minister for Finance for sure.

Surprising considering you didn't know the difference between the CPI and a GDP deflator when converting nominal values of wages and GDP into real figures.

Identified at last.

What was this paying - I lost a packet on taking the short odds he was GVE.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 16-06-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borat View Post
    Wow Wilso.........I must say I hadn't factored in the pulling power Newcastle mangos/lifestyle but you are dead right.

Of course he is taking a paycut to move from the gulf, just not one that would put him in the lower pay earners in the HAL if not the Jets. A player on at 250k+ a season only 10 months ago in the HAL, the highest in the cap at the Wanderers, who then takes an upwards move to a club and league renown for double/trippling HAL wages (thats before factoring tax free status of working in the UAE), doesn't return for 150-130k......Although I guess I never factored in the package of waterfront properties in Wickham n tax brackets.........sigh

Have you ever considered that just maybe, NTS wanted to return to the HAL and we offered his asking price because Merrick wanted him? Outrageous I know. Of course its far more believable that master negotiator McKinna hoodwinked NTS and his manager into accepting a salary he was earning 8-10 years ago. Ok then...
    All I'm saying is you have zero clue what the bloke is on and you're raging like he's on marquee wages and you know that 100%.
    What's to say he didn't tell his mrs when he left for OS that he'll knuckle down and bank some serious cash (tax free too I think) and set them both up well enough that taking big dollars on his return wasn't such a priority.
    And to add to that if the bloke is on 250k+ then who cares. He's proven to be a very astute defender leading a team based purely on defence to an ACL title and grand finals. This isn't something you just "forget" cause you're old. The salary cap goes up anyways next year.
    Compare him and Baro who many of us including me were keen to see signed and we pretty much get a like for like signing whohas the added bonus of being Aussie and probably better in the communication department.