Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Ernie Merrick Out Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    you mean the players that Merrick picked?

Duncan?
    Not subbing Boogaard?

Jesus, you're down and chasing a win. Boogaard getting hurt was a blessing. Bring Kanta straight on, if you need a CB he's your man, if you then want to play an extra forward, hook Brown and play 3 at the back.

his only weakness was leaving the team with 10.

which he did.

and they conceded.

thats on him.
    Shouldn't have picked Boogaard to start with

But what was he off for 7 minutes with a flesh wound??

Harden the **** up is more appropriate

you mean the players that Merrick picked?

Duncan?
    Not subbing Boogaard?

Jesus, you're down and chasing a win. Boogaard getting hurt was a blessing. Bring Kanta straight on, if you need a CB he's your man, if you then want to play an extra forward, hook Brown and play 3 at the back.

his only weakness was leaving the team with 10.

which he did.

and they conceded.

thats on him.
    Agree with what you’ve said, however also contributing to the 3rd goal was the fact that Pato had the shit kicked out of him for the hundredth time in the game and no foul was given, ball gets turned over with effectively 11 v 9 and they score.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Agree with what you’ve said, however also contributing to the 3rd goal was the fact that Pato had the shit kicked out of him for the hundredth time in the game and no foul was given, ball gets turned over with effectively 11 v 9 and they score.
    Oh I don’t disagree with any of that, and I haven’t seen the replay whether it was a foul or not. But Merrick had to know that Wellington was going to have attacking chances.

Again, on the balance of the positive v negative things Ernie has brought to this club he is still way in front. But this one is on him and he should own it.

Plus it’s the Merrick OUT thread so you kinda gotta have your outrage on to play here!!!!

BTW good to hear from you Mr Swan.

Am waiting for your Nathan Lyon hot takes over in the Cricket thread!!!!!!!!

Ernie has had a blinder and not put a foot wrong since he got here but no doubt this was a balls up. As the man in the 1st chair as Plague says it is on him and rather than say it did not cost us the truth is it did, they scored in that period and no amount of trying to gloss over it citing other aspects of the game won't change that fact. They scored just as we were getting some ascendancy back. You could just feel the vibe in the place go south when they scored that third.

Interesting to note having watched the replay of those events it appears valuable time was lost in the fact that Boogard ran off and up the tunnel whilst the medical staff were still trying to scramble gear from the sideline to patch him up in the rooms. It just doesn't seem right that we would have one of the types of kit required and it looked like a couple of tourists at the luggage carousal at a airport with there wheelie suitcases in tow. Minor details i know but you would think the club would have kit on the sideline and also in the rooms , am i being picky ???.

As for the keeper selection well it appears according to media Moss to the bench was more precautionary but can see him back in next start if once again Ernie is being fair dinkum. Duncan had a poor game. Tis a shame for Duncan as he had a dead set blinder IMO in his comeback game against the smurfs youth team a couple of weeks ago, He saved many one on ones and a penalty save from Lockingloy or whatever his name is. Just asking the question but i was under the impression the keeper coach makes the call on who starts or that is how i thought it worked under JVS. Just putting it out there as a serious question if this is how it worked or still does meaning Chris Bowling will decide going into next weeks match.

I too as previously mentioned was concerned about some of the casualness displayed by some of the players in the warm up. I watched the Fox pre game show i recorded and some players had the body language and acting out like the game was over and they were already back in the rooms bumping shoulders, dance moves etc celebrating a victory. I would encourage anybody who recorded it or can go back on there IQ box whatever and take a look.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Interesting to note having watched the replay of those events it appears valuable time was lost in the fact that Boogard ran off and up the tunnel whilst the medical staff were still trying to scramble gear from the sideline to patch him up in the rooms. It just doesn't seem right that we would have one of the types of kit required and it looked like a couple of tourists at the luggage carousal at a airport with there wheelie suitcases in tow. Minor details i know but you would think the club would have kit on the sideline and also in the rooms , am i being picky ???.
    I was wondering this too when he sprinted off up the tunnel. It's not uncommon for someone to need a bloody cut bandaged up - why wasn't that stuff on the sideline?? Plus, at 0-0 in the first 10 minutes, we could have risked him being off the pitch for 5-10 mins - just slow the tempo, hold onto the ball until he's back etc. But not at 2-1 down with time running out when a third goal is likely to (and did) seal the match for the visitors. If we didn't have a capable sub I could understand the hesitation, but Jackson would have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I was wondering this too when he sprinted off up the tunnel. It's not uncommon for someone to need a bloody cut bandaged up - why wasn't that stuff on the sideline?? Plus, at 0-0 in the first 10 minutes, we could have risked him being off the pitch for 5-10 mins - just slow the tempo, hold onto the ball until he's back etc. But not at 2-1 down with time running out when a third goal is likely to (and did) seal the match for the visitors. If we didn't have a capable sub I could understand the hesitation, but Jackson would have been fine.
    They stitched the wound - it wasn't just a case of him going off to have a bandage slapped on to the cut.

Moss had a niggle and was rested, was not a straight promotion for Duncan. Unfortunately for him he made a couple of mistakes but lets not forget the stellar season he was having pre injury. The jeers when he made a catch shortly after the second goal were not called for.

Such a sour taste in the mouth how that third goal happened, could not believe that foul on Pato was not called. Then they go up the other end and score with our CB off the park. Hard to fault Vujica for getting done, it was a nice feint by Krishna and well taken but its hard not to think our other CB/captain/marshall on the park may have made a difference. Either Kanta or Jackson should have come on for Boogs, if he's gonna take 5 minutes to get stitched up that's a long time and it proved costly. Given he presumably copped a decent knock to the head as well I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of concussion going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Moss had a niggle and was rested, was not a straight promotion for Duncan. Unfortunately for him he made a couple of mistakes but lets not forget the stellar season he was having pre injury. The jeers when he made a catch shortly after the second goal were not called for.

Such a sour taste in the mouth how that third goal happened, could not believe that foul on Pato was not called. Then they go up the other end and score with our CB off the park. Hard to fault Vujica for getting done, it was a nice feint by Krishna and well taken but its hard not to think our other CB/captain/marshall on the park may have made a difference. Either Kanta or Jackson should have come on for Boogs, if he's gonna take 5 minutes to get stitched up that's a long time and it proved costly. Given he presumably copped a decent knock to the head as well I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of concussion going on.
    Agree. I was so angry at that cheer. Fans need to wake up and realise the team sometimes won't perform. Don't give me any of this "been exposed to it for so long before" shit - we've seen enough from this team to realise they're nothing like those teams of the seasons past.

Other side of the coin regarding your other point, if we use a substitute for Boogaard, we don't take Pato off and bring on Thurgate and does the structure to the team's width return?

Jack looked like he was short of exposure to match intensity. Like Johnny K was when he first started to get exposure, Wayne Brown too, even Glen Moss - it seems to take a few weeks to truly get "back int he groove" and get their form back.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 22-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

That cheer was near me and I saw no real malice in it, just a bit of cheek. Certainly no calls of "get Moss on" or similar. And certainly nothing compared to past keeper vitriol at our club.

It is a good learning experience for Duncan and if he reacts well (and is fazed), he will be a better keeper for it.

Bob Catlin once went through similar, when he finally took a ball cleanly and got the bird, he raise a triumphant fist, got on with it and had a blinder.

We all make mistakes.

it came across on the coverage as really derogatory. i was disappointed to hear it, regardless of the intent.

10 other guys had stinkers as well and nobody bronx-cheered them.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Unfortunately for him he made a couple of mistakes but lets not forget the stellar season he was having pre injury. The jeers when he made a catch shortly after the second goal were not called for.
    nah he deserved it for that shite. but let not one game judge his season

Hows it going Lujbo?
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Sharks already circling......
    Ernie Merrick
    Does money talk? Who could turn down a pay packet nearly three times more than they're currently getting? Not many; so let's see what Ernie Merrick does as that's the size of the carrot the Russian-backed Sydney FC are dangling in front of him according to Gatt. Jets' CEO Lawrie McKinna says he's "heard the rumours before". On the assumption that Newcastle Jets makes the 2019 Asian Champions League, Newcastle Jets should be keen to hang on to their man.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Fk off Sh1tney disease ridden scabs

Just the Sydney media tryng again to destabilise us....pinch of salt stuff.

I would be amazed if Ernie got an offer let alone accepted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Just the Sydney media tryng again to destabilise us....pinch of salt stuff.

I would be amazed if Ernie got an offer let alone accepted it.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...f233c2d9561305

I told you so....

Wait wait wait.
    Hold up a minute.
    So you’re saying Ray Gatt got it wrong?

Wait wait wait.
    Hold up a minute.
    So you’re saying Ray Gatt got it wrong?
    cut the guy some slack, first time ever that gatt has been wrong.

His hit rate is better than SST though
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast