Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBN State League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I can see the frustration for teams in around the mix for finals. The Olympic/Jets result on the weekend could decide who plays the minor/major semis. Teams like, Charlestown and Southy who are chasing Olympic would be a little more disadvantaged with Jets fielding a different lineup. Fair enough if the Jets feel they are putting out their strongest team, but resting 6 first team players doesn't sound like they are fielding their strongest team. Fair enough if the players are injured or maybe even resting 2-3 this week, 2-3 the next week would've been better. Players like Virgilli, Pepper, Chapman and Hoole (I'm assuming they are 4/6 that won't be playing. Perhaps Bradberry and Campbell? too) make a massive difference. A team without those players is drastically weaker.

The unfairness comes when say Charlestown and Southy play full strength teams and draw/lose, when an Olympic team plays a half strength team and win. This gives an unfair advantage to Olympic with teams so close on the ladder.

As far as saying any NBN team could do it... They could...But they wouldn't rest 6 of their best players for the game against 3rd place, 3 points behind you with a game in hand.
    Spot on!

This is the problem with the jets youth.They have a playing list of 22 players so resting 6 players still leaves them plenty to select from.But if thye continue to use first grade squad players such as chapman,virgilli,pepper and co in the nbn side this will constantly happen.Why are players like pepper even playiung state league.Doea anyone really think he will be running around in youth league in the a league.Here is an interesting question.Apparently these first grade squad players have just finished a 6 week pre season block so are having a weeks break.So that means the next break after the next 6 week block falls in the first week of semis.Will these same players be given a holiday during the semis?Lets say a jets game was washed out and the midweek replay was on the same night as jets 1st grade had a trial.Where do you think the players would be going,trial game or nbn comp game?I am all for the jets in the comp but 1st grade squad players shouldn't be playing nbn state league imo

If the youth rest a few players for a week who cares it shouldnt cause such a fuss.

I know I dont play anywhere near the level of this league but we have 5 or so players out atm for holidays etc.
    If they have been working hard and they get a holiday or break good for them and it gives other young guys a chance to step up and prove their worth. If they are going to be playing year round they are going to have to have a break at some stage.
    also didnt they rest a few players a few weeks bak and still won the game?
    Last edited by true waterboy; 04-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    cool story bro. this whole argument, however, started by saying olympic would have an unfair advantage - which is exactly what i was counter-arguing. i don't disagree with the majority of what you are saying, and i think for the best up-and-coming players it's exactly what they need and deserve. so i think we're on sort of the same lines.

also don't get too caught up on the whole full-time athlete vs working to feed families etc - from what i've been told there are players that would be getting paid a lot more to play for state league clubs than to play for the yoof. i think a few of the yoof boys would have to get meals cooked by mum because they probably couldn't afford to move out. but that's just a little point, don't get too caught up on it.
    I understand what your saying in the second paragraph. If you put Messi as a laborer for a month 40 hours per week. He would not perform the same. He would still be a great player but his performance level would drop no doubt.

I find it funny that people are saying the jets aren't paying respect to the rest of the comp yet before they even kicked a ball most of the nbn teams were bagging yoof for supposedly being the cause of another team being dropped because the yoof would fail but couldn't be dropped.

They're not breaking the rules are they? Can any team do what they are doing?

An improbable, unlikely hypothetical (Enter Strawman):
    4 team final series... Major: Roar VS Coasties, Minor: Jets VS Adelaide.

Major: Roar (arguably the best team in the comp) rest their best 6 International/Fringe International players, gypos win 1-0.
    Minor: Jets obviously beat Adelaide easily.

Roar VS Jets. Roar play their 6 better players and beat us 1-0 with a 120th minute dubious penalty. Go on and thrash typos 10-0 in the Grand final. I can guarantee, you'd all be pretty pissed Roar played a weak team against the Gypos allowing them into the grand final, but played a full strength team against the Jets who arguably could have won/played in a GF if Roar played a consistent team.

I imagine that's an analogy of how NBN teams feel about it for those less "Local football" minded.

you guys who are compaining are the same ones who said the jets yoof would get kicked off the park at the start of the season, very negative individuals.

What the jets yoof have done this year is show how poor the state league players and more so the coaches are.

Just be grateful it's not Genclerbirligi/Hacettepe we are dealing with, the whole first squad could run out if they need a result!

Quote Originally Posted by mervan View Post
    What the jets yoof have done this year is show ''how poor the state league players and more so the coaches are''.
    speaking of negative individuals

Wasn't it only a couple of years ago (pre jets yoof) a lot of people was bemoaning the strength and power of Magic. With the jets yoof it now give Magic a rest as those teams (or is it their supporters) have another team to blame their problems on.

I take it that many on here have no idea about the State League or are just ignorant to every club except the Jets.

A fair assessment zico.

i want to know what was actually concluded from this argument. first it was unfair because olympic would get an unfair advantage, then it was unfair that jets yoof had too many players to choose from. what has everyone walked away from this thread with an opinion of?

also, seeing as though we're able to give our personal assessments, i take it that many on here who are arguing that it's an outrage the jets can drop 6 players haven't been to enough state league games to see that for most teams losing 6 starting first graders for a game happens at least once a season, whether it's due to injuries or another reason, and it is left up to the reserve players available to step up. i would also like to add that i understand that some state league tragics have a personal issue with the yoof coming into the league as at first the yoof were seen as cannon fodder but now are seen as threats to other teams survival, but really the whole general idea of state league is to nurture talent to one day go onto bigger and better things, and having the yoof (basically picked as the best young talent the league has been producing) in nbn is imo the best way to do that as it gives them gametime year-round and makes sure they're not restricted to a certain age group to play in and matures them physically as players.

Quote Originally Posted by mervan View Post

What the jets yoof have done this year is show how poor the state league players and more so the coaches are.
    Interesting statement.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but were not Pepper, Small, Bradberry, Petit (previously jets youth), Peter Haynes a few years back, Fajkovic and Campbell (just a few off the top of my head) state league players within the last 12 months?

Also interesting, when the last 2 years the nnsw under 20s select team has beaten the Jets youth team. Only this year, when they have decided to take some
    of the best young first graders have they put together a good quality team.

Must be some Pretty poor Coaches developing these players.....

The point is 6/11 players is a pretty massive change, a change most teams would only consider when playing a team significantly lower, not a team 3 points
    Behind with a game in hand. All I'm saying is tht teams in and around Olympic would be pretty annoyed they had narrow losses/draws to a strong jets team, perhaps unlucky not to win, and then their rivals get an "easier" team to play.

Banned
    Just to throw a spanner in the works here about the argument of the Jets dropping 6 players for the Olympic match.

Next Wednesday the HAL Squad play a trial in Canberra. They are also spending a week or so at the AIS doing a training camp. Would it not be possible that these boys won't be playing V Olympic due to their requirements for this?? Not sure exactly when they leave but they could be down in Canberra when this game is actually on maybe??

Pepper, Connor Chapman, Virgili, Gallaway, Mitch Cooper off the top of my head would be 5 of the 6 who will be the "MISSING SIX". Other one ???
    These blokes are part of the senior squad and all though at the bottom of the list ARE required to fulfill their first team training committments and play first team trials when required. To my way of thinking this takes preference to the NBN State League and GVE pushing these boys to challenge for a HAL gig isn't disrespectful to the State League but exactly what should be occurring at our club.

Anyone who thinks Olympic are gonna have a walk over without these boys being there Saturday has NFI. Each week the Yoof drop players and swap players and play them in different positions.

Most of the kids have been given spells of games off already this year when fit and ready to lessen burnout issues with the upcoming NYL. Each game the likes of Peppz Virgili Cooper most of the time they are on the subs bench and sent on at a certain time in the match ie after 60 mins rain hail or shine or if they start have a pre determined sub time so it would appear to me GVE and the First team management is taking steps to control the amount of football these kids are playing.

I will be down there at Darling St on Saturday and I would fully expect the Yoof to beat Olympic without these players anyway. The kids there we have got are more than capable of beating all the teams in the State League even without 6 of their "best" players

does anyone know kickoff times for edgy vs azurri tonite ?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
    does anyone know kickoff times for edgy vs azurri tonite ?? thanks
    23s 6.15
    1st 7.50

IMO i think the jets have been a great addition for the NBN league on a number of fronts. I have a few points to mention after reading the convo's above.
    Firstly, I dont see a problem with the jets resting players. This happens in all football leagues around the world, an example is the EPL (FYI im not comparing NBN state league to the EPL, but its the principal behind) Man Utd rest there better players all the time when playing weaker opposition, i spose this is a strategical plan used by managers.
    Secondly, from a coaching perspective i think the jets coaching staff have highlighted how far most state league coaches are behind in many managerial aspects.

I think the jets youth have been a great addition to the state league, its has help to improve the standard whilst giving younger players a chance to been seen and impress.

Quote Originally Posted by GO AWAY View Post
    23s 6.15
    1st 7.50
    thanks heaps

Quote Originally Posted by The Baby Piglet View Post
    IMO i think the jets have been a great addition for the NBN league on a number of fronts. I have a few points to mention after reading the convo's above.
    Firstly, I dont see a problem with the jets resting players. This happens in all football leagues around the world, an example is the EPL (FYI im not comparing NBN state league to the EPL, but its the principal behind) Man Utd rest there better players all the time when playing weaker opposition, i spose this is a strategical plan used by managers.
    Secondly, from a coaching perspective i think the jets coaching staff have highlighted how far most state league coaches are behind in many managerial aspects.

I think the jets youth have been a great addition to the state league, its has help to improve the standard whilst giving younger players a chance to been seen and impress.
    I think the gripe here though is that they may appear to be resting players against strong opposition, not weaker.
    And
    I think the comment about managerial ability is a bit harsh.... The yoof are surely working with what most would see as the best squad, so you'd expect them to be winning. I think the fact the the yoof have been pushed and tested by squads with less resources and who may have indeed lost some of their best to the yoof is a positive reflection on what NBN league teams (the top ones at least) are able to achieve.