Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Yep, which is why I said it needs to be improved.
    the biggest improvement though is to use it less (or not at all).

it should ONLY be used for decisions that are 'absolute', not ones that are 'open to interpretation'.

offsides, goal line. they are either in or out.

elbows, tackles, etc are discretionary. therefore should be at the refs discretion and interpretation. if he gets it right, cool. if he gets it wrong, ok. shit happens.
    but assuming the bloke in the TV box will 'interpret' it any more correctly or incorrectly than the ref in the middle is crap, and continually proven to be no better a system.

bin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

I not particularly fussed if Mus**** gets off as no one picks it up

It happens in games

Shit goes on in back play

I not too fussed either if Nabbout gets called for offside yesterday

FFS I watched the game for 30+ years and seen blokes get pinged offside incorrectly before

FFS The game went on and cunce got over it

People ain't going to get over it here
    Regardless of whether you are like it or against it you are open up a can of worms by just having it
    That is why you going to have problems

Take Bobo the other night.
    I don't think anyone can defend the ****wit VAR referee missing that.

It pretty ****ing clear cut

Now I love stirring the Blue Aids FFA VAR FC angle as much as the next guy

But there is nothing that can be said that this was a joke of a decision on a biblical level.

Then for the cunce to come out and defend it just shows they are ****ed

Dumbest. F@#king. Response. Ever.

No-one gives a flying frogs fat arse if you, or anyone else, doesn't care about incorrect decisions. The vast majority of fans do. And the VAR makes the vast majority of decisions right. Foxtel loves to make a big deal out "controversy" because that's how they get people to listen to their shite opinions.

I care if shit-heads like Manny Muscat elbow someone in the head. I care if Gypos go studs up into challenges and don't get sent off. I care if we get a goal ruled offside when it clearly wasn't because a defender played it. I care if Brisbane get awarded a goal against us when there was a clear off-side in the build-up. Need I go on?

It isn't perfect, but anyone deluded enough to think it should be doesn't deserve a megaphone to spout their ridiculous opinions.

My two most hated expressions are "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "that's the way we've always done it". Dumb-f@#kers who give me that at work get fired.
    VAR is a massive improvement and there is no reason to remove it.

I couldn't give a **** that Bobo didn't get sent off for his back play indiscretion

What I having a pop at is if your system you are praising misses that incident when the **** actually looks at it ......

Then it ****ing useless

Understand??

Because Bobo should not have been missed. Once VAR looks at it . He has to walk

When he doesnt. It just proves it is a ****ing joke
    Sorry. I just read this one.

The other one is the SECOND dumbest response ever.

THIS one is the dumbest response ever.

Quote Originally Posted by skullboy View Post
    And the VAR makes the vast majority of decisions right.
    ill contend that every single one of those red card decisions (or 'non decisions 'sup Bobo) over the weekend was 'debateable'.

I think in that area of the game VAR does not make the 'vast majority' of desisons right.

again, ill cop goal line tech. if they sort the offside rule ill cop offside tech.

the rest should be on the ref.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy View Post
    Dumbest. F@#king. Response. Ever.

No-one gives a flying frogs fat arse if you, or anyone else, doesn't care about incorrect decisions. The vast majority of fans do. And the VAR makes the vast majority of decisions right. Foxtel loves to make a big deal out "controversy" because that's how they get people to listen to their shite opinions.

I care if shit-heads like Manny Muscat elbow someone in the head. I care if Gypos go studs up into challenges and don't get sent off. I care if we get a goal ruled offside when it clearly wasn't because a defender played it. I care if Brisbane get awarded a goal against us when there was a clear off-side in the build-up. Need I go on?

It isn't perfect, but anyone deluded enough to think it should be doesn't deserve a megaphone to spout their ridiculous opinions.

My two most hated expressions are "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "that's the way we've always done it". Dumb-f@#kers who give me that at work get fired.
    VAR is a massive improvement and there is no reason to remove it.
    Deluded ... lol

It ain't perfect ... Lol

No mirrors at your house??

With no VAR the referee decisions are made by the onfield official.

This happens at suburban pitches across the planet

Referees make mistakes. They not perfect

By bringing technology into the equation to try and rectify these mistakes are you not trying to make it more perfect ??

Which sort of goes completely against your argument you spouting with me ??

So which way you want to have it ??

Var got the berish decision correct cause it was clear cut. If it sticks to that it would work a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    ill contend that every single one of those red card decisions (or 'non decisions 'sup Bobo) over the weekend was 'debateable'.

I think in that area of the game VAR does not make the 'vast majority' of desisons right.

again, ill cop goal line tech. if they sort the offside rule ill cop offside tech.

the rest should be on the ref.
    This.

I would like to ask Bozza and these types if they ever made a game changing mistake and do they think they should be able to go back and change their decision.

Sport is competitive and results are often decided by somebody's error. Goal line tech - sure, but only like the EPL has. Offside - doable but needs work.

The rest, just let it be.

I'd argue without VAR we'd have seen that game possibly end up 1-1 because I think Nabbout's goal get ruled out for offside and the Dimi pen remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...eague-round-11

So I assume if Strebre says the Bobo incident was already adjudged to be a case of Mr Lowy says 'nothing to see here', that means the MRP cannot look at the incident as an obvious misconduct matter missed during play because it has already been swept under the carpet???
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I would like to ask Bozza and these types if they ever made a game changing mistake and do they think they should be able to go back and change their decision.

Sport is competitive and results are often decided by somebody's error. Goal line tech - sure, but only like the EPL has. Offside - doable but needs work.

The rest, just let it be.
    I don't get this though. You want goal line tech included, but you're ok for other areas of the game to include errors?

People are acting like there's no B&W in football bar the goal line issue. But there is - offside is incredibly B&W and the only reason it causes controversy is because linesmen are trying to figure it out in a split second and often get it wrong. As a rule though, it's ALWAYS clear cut - Nabbout's goal on Saturday is a perfect example of why VAR should adjudicate on offside when a goal is scored and there's enough doubt - in real time, he looked a mile off and would have been flagged because I doubt the linesman saw the nick of the defenders toe.

The other issue is clear red card offences. Plague - that red card for Muscat was as clear as you get. He cocked his elbow and went straight back into the dude's head. Can't remember who copped it but there was nothing grey about that. He deserved his red and the outcry about VAR only came because Bobo escaped earlier in the game - but using it for Muscat was spot on.

I don't see any difference to these incidents then when a linesman raises his flag, then has a discussion with the ref for a few minutes to talk about what he thought he saw before the ref pulls out a card. But instead of a discussion, someone can watch a replay instead.

I've walked away from enough games absolutely fuming at the referee to know I'm more than happy for them to trial something that can minimise the amount of errors they make.

Banned
    I don't get this though. You want goal line tech included, but you're ok for other areas of the game to include errors?

People are acting like there's no B&W in football bar the goal line issue. But there is - offside is incredibly B&W and the only reason it causes controversy is because linesmen are trying to figure it out in a split second and often get it wrong. As a rule though, it's ALWAYS clear cut - Nabbout's goal on Saturday is a perfect example of why VAR should adjudicate on offside when a goal is scored and there's enough doubt - in real time, he looked a mile off and would have been flagged because I doubt the linesman saw the nick of the defenders toe.

The other issue is clear red card offences. Plague - that red card for Muscat was as clear as you get. He cocked his elbow and went straight back into the dude's head. Can't remember who copped it but there was nothing grey about that. He deserved his red and the outcry about VAR only came because Bobo escaped earlier in the game - but using it for Muscat was spot on.

I don't see any difference to these incidents then when a linesman raises his flag, then has a discussion with the ref for a few minutes to talk about what he thought he saw before the ref pulls out a card. But instead of a discussion, someone can watch a replay instead.

I've walked away from enough games absolutely fuming at the referee to know I'm more than happy for them to trial something that can minimise the amount of errors they make.
    Take cricket for example

I happy if they use it for run outs. It is a pretty useful tool in this instance

But for a lot of other stuff it fails regularly

They can **** off Hawkeye on LBW
    They can also **** off using the cameras for catches to see if old mate caught it 1 mm off the ground
    Snicko and Hotspot at times are useful but are not idiot proof as things can go wrong as the bat or body may block the camera view etc

KISS

If shit is wrong so be it

offside is incredibly B&W

Hold up hold up.

Don’t we still have ‘passive’ offside?
    Am sure Sydney got away with 2 passive reviews during the experiment stage of VAR that were anything but black and white.

Again if they make the law black and white I’m happy to use the tech.

As for Muscat, ok so you believe it to be an easy red.

Bobo lifted his leg and attacked a defenceless opponent off the ball. Surely the VAR would apply the same criteria? Nope.

The first Gypo one was worse than the 2nd Gypo one, the santalab one was worse than both (santalab didn’t even get looked at).

Either VAR gets them ALL right (Which it didn’t, and couldn’t) or I’m happy to leave it to the ref.

VAR is just another example of a flawed system in which humans use their judgement. All we are doing is adding another layer of the flaw in the system.

I’m happy without it.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Hold up hold up.

Don’t we still have ‘passive’ offside?
    Am sure Sydney got away with 2 passive reviews during the experiment stage of VAR that were anything but black and white.

Again if they make the law black and white I’m happy to use the tech.

As for Muscat, ok so you believe it to be an easy red.

Bobo lifted his leg and attacked a defenceless opponent off the ball. Surely the VAR would apply the same criteria? Nope.

The first Gypo one was worse than the 2nd Gypo one, the santalab one was worse than both (santalab didn’t even get looked at).

Either VAR gets them ALL right (Which it didn’t, and couldn’t) or I’m happy to leave it to the ref.

VAR is just another example of a flawed system in which humans use their judgement. All we are doing is adding another layer of the flaw in the system.

I’m happy without it.
    OK, so there's the passive offside interpretation. I'll give you that. If in doubt, go with the call on the field, but if VAR can get 80% of offside calls in relation to goals correct, surely that's still better than leaving it up to a flip of the coin?

I don't agree with the way it was used for the Gypo's cards at all. The ref should have called yellow/red on the spot and stuck with his decision. Those types of interventions aren't called for (hence my calls that VAR can be improved). Santalab & Llorente both should have been dealt with on the spot by the ref also - but all four of these instances shows what happens when you have an inconsistent ref.

I don't know why Bobo's wasn't called a red, but I'm happy for VAR to be used to look at it in the first instance. The fault IMO lay with whoever it was who reviewed it and failed to call it red (the head ref or whoever he is has since stated the personnel is going to change and they're reeling in what they review). But without VAR that was completely missed in the first place. In future that sort of act is likely to be called red more often than not, which is an improvement on now. An effective VAR might also mean that backplay rubbish starts to disappear when players know they won't get away with it. Bobo himself likely won't try it again knowing it's been scrutinised so heavily already.

Cricket & League are examples of where the video goes too far. The run outs were simple to decide, the rest is very grey. It seems to work in tennis OK, not that I've watched it for years now.

Essentially though, the biggest complaints about VAR seem to be how long it takes to review something, and the inconsistency of when and how it's used... both things which can be refined and improved upon.

In saying all that... if it was disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't lose sleep. But I don't mind them trialing it.

We have legalised gambling on matches and people are concerned with the VAR.

yeah it's costing me money ffs

Banned
    OK, so there's the passive offside interpretation. I'll give you that. If in doubt, go with the call on the field, but if VAR can get 80% of offside calls in relation to goals correct, surely that's still better than leaving it up to a flip of the coin?

I don't agree with the way it was used for the Gypo's cards at all. The ref should have called yellow/red on the spot and stuck with his decision. Those types of interventions aren't called for (hence my calls that VAR can be improved). Santalab & Llorente both should have been dealt with on the spot by the ref also - but all four of these instances shows what happens when you have an inconsistent ref.

I don't know why Bobo's wasn't called a red, but I'm happy for VAR to be used to look at it in the first instance. The fault IMO lay with whoever it was who reviewed it and failed to call it red (the head ref or whoever he is has since stated the personnel is going to change and they're reeling in what they review). But without VAR that was completely missed in the first place. In future that sort of act is likely to be called red more often than not, which is an improvement on now. An effective VAR might also mean that backplay rubbish starts to disappear when players know they won't get away with it. Bobo himself likely won't try it again knowing it's been scrutinised so heavily already.

Cricket & League are examples of where the video goes too far. The run outs were simple to decide, the rest is very grey. It seems to work in tennis OK, not that I've watched it for years now.

Essentially though, the biggest complaints about VAR seem to be how long it takes to review something, and the inconsistency of when and how it's used... both things which can be refined and improved upon.

In saying all that... if it was disappear tomorrow, I wouldn't lose sleep. But I don't mind them trialing it.
    But your point about cricket and Drugby league is where the technology has gone too far is exactly where it has also gone in football

Too far

These ****ers now are looking at shit in back play and are now apparently over ruling on the ball tackles the ref has seen

So they going too far

You want to refine it

Cut it out with this ridiculous level of use

Just review the goal scoring incident after a goal has been scored for howlers and then get on with

As for your points on Bobo and Muscat getting away with stuff in back play.
    The FFA already have the power to sanction them on video review after the game etc

Where this is going wrong is the VAR is now acting on SOME not ALL instances mid game

That to me where you are going too far also.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    We have legalised gambling on matches and people are concerned with the VAR.
    commie

The argument of speeding up the process always seems to be bought up to the it takes too long drawback. I would love to know how people think this can be done. How do you speed up a process that is looking at controversial moments with need numerous views/angles/magnification etc. The offsides and goal line can be done quick as it only takes 1 view usually. But look at the handball on the weekend there is no getting around they need a heap of views to decide. By using it for all these other moments i find it difficult to see it being sped up. If they limit the views then we will still get the same inconsistent results and more outcry.