Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Tons of fanbois on English forums atm. Soooo hope they get a dodgy one to knock them out.
    Make a change from penalties.
    You're a sick person. A sick, wonderful person.

Oh I cannot wait to see if that happens. It would be glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    You're a sick person. A sick, wonderful person.

Oh I cannot wait to see if that happens. It would be glorious.
    Not yet

Needs to be like semi final or final stage for full impact

Collina...

Referees called 95% of incidents correctly without VAR, but the system - which is being used for the first time at a major international tournament at Russia 2018 - improved that success rate to 99.3%.

"We have always said that VAR doesn't mean perfection - there could still be the wrong interpretation or a mistake - but I think you would agree that 99.3% is very close to perfection," added Collina.
    Now I can see why that stat is wrong, can anyone else?

Collina...

Now I can see why that stat is wrong, can anyone else?
    I'm struggling to understand how they come up with 95% for refs and 99.3% using VAR.

What are they using to get the 100% figure from which to derive the 95% and 99.3%?

I understand confidence levels but this shit looks like FIFA pulled it from their arses.

Simple....they have added the "corrections" to their "perceived" ref accuracy to feign improvement.
    Haven't counted the things they've missed or got wrong outright.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I'm struggling to understand how they come up with 95% for refs and 99.3% using VAR.

What are they using to get the 100% figure from which to derive the 95% and 99.3%?

I understand confidence levels but this shit looks like FIFA pulled it from their arses.
    **** statistics

The only thing that matters is how many evades how many assists and who one the possession percentage

So now the geniuses at FFA want to have there own Bunker like at the FIFA WC.. Still we should be investing in our physical human referees more would be a first priority... cause when you have people in the VAR room that also arent competent then it to wont work...
    Amigos Aarau

It seems to have taken a backseat ever since the knockout stage started.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    It seems to have taken a backseat ever since the knockout stage started.
    Havent been using it

Croatia should have had a penalty in the England game but as per usual VAR stayed out of it

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Havent been using it

Croatia should have had a penalty in the England game but as per usual VAR stayed out of it
    its been good.

because in the first half Croatia had a shot and it clearly came off the english defender. what should have been a corner was called by the ref a goal kick.

now.

considering the high % of goals that have been scored off set pieces this World Cup the validation for calling it a 'clear and obvious error' was right there.

but the ref/and the VAR just let it pass.

In the same way the penalty claim you are referring to was called by the ref and waved off. im glad VAR stayed away from that one.

the prob is that thats exactly the kind of call the A-League VAR was getting involved in. and thats what drove everyone crazy.

refs have been great. let them ref.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    In the same way the penalty claim you are referring to was called by the ref and waved off. im glad VAR stayed away from that one.

the prob is that thats exactly the kind of call the A-League VAR was getting involved in. and thats what drove everyone crazy.
    for me, the thing that pissed me off about that call is that it was the exact situation that resulted in about half* of england's goals. as in everything, it is the inconsistency that annoys me. you call one, you have to call them all.

* can't be arsed checking the actual stats.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    for me, the thing that pissed me off about that call is that it was the exact situation that resulted in about half* of england's goals. as in everything, it is the inconsistency that annoys me. you call one, you have to call them all.

* can't be arsed checking the actual stats.
    Oh for sure.

Its admirable they want to crack down on holding etc from set pieces, but the Poms were blocking just as bad when attacking from corners.

There's 3 fouls in every one. I'm just happy for the ref to be the one decided degrees of severity.

Either FIFA are testing the waters with minimal VAR. Or they have made a directive to lay off incase a 92nd minute 50/50 call ruins the comp.

Whatever...it hasnt been missed

refs now have a security blanket a little bit. Which would probably be better as a player too.
    So when they give a pen, and everyone come yelling, they can say, look VAR will look and overule if need be. Get on with it.

Maybe VAR has gone behind the scenes a bit more, like it was intended. If something happens, they still look at it, but if they arent on board with it being a bad call, they just continue and don’t advertise that it’s being reviewed. Like pretty sure they reviewed every penalty or near penalty earlier on.

Maybe this coincides with better refs being appointed to knockout games.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 14-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Banned
    FFA are bringing in a VAR Bunker this season

Heres hoping the flogs have to get kitted up each game for laughs

Heres hoping the thing works in the GF this year

Premier League are trialling it next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

They could take a leaf out of the NRL book... VAR was a shambles the first few years, but now it’s incredibly quick & accurate.

The game experience is now rooted. At early EPL games you kept hearing Speedesque comments of "if VAR was being used".

At the game you honestly can't truly celebrate a goal due to the uncertainty.

There was more talk about controversial VAR decisions at the WC than ref decisions at previous tournaments.

Goodbye blue sky...

The game experience is now rooted. At early EPL games you kept hearing Speedesque comments of "if VAR was being used".

At the game you honestly can't truly celebrate a goal due to the uncertainty.

There was more talk about controversial VAR decisions at the WC than ref decisions at previous tournaments.

Goodbye blue sky...
    I think people are being dramatic about the experience of celebrating a goal. Last season I celebrated as soon as it went in (with a quick glance to the linesman as I always have). If they pull up the goal because it shouldn’t have stood, then it shouldn’t have stood. I also don’t remember too many goals being disallowed at the WC, my recollection of the VAR was mostly in awarding penalties but correct me if I’m wrong.

And people kept using the word “controversial” every time VAR was used purely because it was used, even though a lot of decisions were 100% correct and not actually controversial.

Ffs.
    If we wanted the truth, we wouldn’t be here.

This is gonna be so controversial.