Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

The Hoff goal was a farce. If that ball goes to ground and a WSW defender happened to clear it or any other scenario that sees it not go in to the goals it is play on for all money. The mere fact it dropped in to the net was no reason to over analyze it and feel the need to apportion blame to somebody.

Every time there is controversy around the VAR it seems Streb is the one up in the box. Some weeks you would swear he is asleep up there and other times he can't stay out of the game.

The talk on Fux this afternoon will be that the correct decisions were made. The forgotten point will be that VAR is meant to only overturn an "obvious error".

The offside was the only obvious error.

Ah Ned...."there are people out there saying it was a handball.....well, they're wrong"....*applause*

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Watching it again i even less convinced on the Janjetovic goal.

The bloke shoukd have been much higher than Hoffman
    The bloke basically just dropped the ball into his net

I understand the keeper protected species theory etc

But

Once the onfield ref seen the challenge from Hoffman aamd allowed it

Where was the evidence to overturn the decision??

Because nothing changed
    The bloke threw it into his own net. He should be getting crucified it was a dead set howler in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Wow. Great article. I loved it up to the point he said he usually likes Sydney Slater FC...

Maybe it's about time that (cough cough) FIFA step in and review referee accreditation processes.
    It seems decisions aren't in the best interests of the game and that is to let it flow.
    The NT-S handball and da Hoff out jumping Jan-Flap-O-Boetch classic examples.

Seems were stuck with a bunch of officials here in Oz who are more concerned with their 'moment'
    on National television than making good decisions and keeping out of the game as much as possible.
    The worst of these is Shaun Evans. I reckon some idiot told him he looks vaguely like Tom Cruise and
    the dickhead has been waiting for some flashy Director to scout him and cast him in an action thriller ever since!

So often I have wished I could write an article and get it out there explaining some wrongs in the game.

This guy has nailed it - everything I wanted to say in one piece. I believe Lawrie has put up similar on social media. Ernie blowing up about it will carry alot of weight.

The Jets should raise an official complaint to FFA so that this sort of shit stops. The other night Green delayed issuing a yellow card to Uga until AFTER the replay on the screen - that is what is happening in the background.

Our refs are not up to it and as Okon said have no "feel" for the game. They focus on process.

Again Ned said it was a wrong decision and knows the rules - Bozza who apparently texted Peacock 37 times to tell him it was a handball will give reason shortly (probably tonight) as to why VAR was right.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 18-02-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    So often I have wished I could write an article and get it out there explaining some wrongs in the game.

This guy has nailed it - everything I wanted to say in one piece. I believe Lawrie has put up similar on social media. Ernie blowing up about it will carry alot of weight.

The Jets should raise an official complaint to FFA so that this sort of shit stops. The other night Green delayed issuing a yellow card to Uga until AFTER the replay on the screen - that is what is happening in the background.

Our refs are not up to it and as Okon said have no "feel" for the game. They focus on process.

Again Ned said it was a wrong decision and knows the rules - Bozza who apparently texted Peacock 37 times to tell him it was a handball will give reason shortly (probably tonight) as to why VAR was right.
    That down to middle management

Ie the refereeing bosses and their bullshit take on thiings

Refs job is to apply the rules

Feel for the game is a load of new age bullshit.

Blow the whistle when required
    Card players when required
    Send off players when required
    Give pens when required
    Adjudicate the game in a fair and impartial manner

Not ****ing rocket science really

The whole process is ****ed and middle management at FFA needs a clean out

in commentary, slater again congratulated the linesman for not making the call on the offside "and letting the VAR sort it out" (or words to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Refs job is to apply the rules

Feel for the game is a load of new age bullshit.
    Crap - old time refs would apply the rules in the "spirit of the law, not the letter of the law" (Jimmy Hill, pundit and qualified referee 1973), they would judge whether a booking was warranted or not. They knew what a handball was which is why it was so rare. The game was allowed to flow and when necessary thugs were dealt with.

Referees were also much more highly respected then too.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    in commentary, slater again congratulated the linesman for not making the call on the offside "and letting the VAR sort it out" (or words to that effect).
    Yep, heard that and cringed. The assistant (rightfully) didn't raise his flag ad there was precisely a bee's pecker in the decision. Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking team. Well done assistant for performing your job.

The millisecond the perceived safety net of VAR creeps into an official's thought process, all credibility is lost.

TL/DR - Pi$$ the VAR off for the good of the bloody game, FFS

Speed on the WLeague final..."would that goal have been given if the VAR was operating"?

Why even mention it?

Speed on the WLeague final..."would that goal have been given if the VAR was operating"?

Why even mention it?
    Did he mention the sponsor of the VAR? Pretty certain he’s on a commission

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Did he mention the sponsor of the VAR? Pretty certain he’s on a commission
    he probably yelled it too.

Why even mention it?
    Fox and VAR are driving me insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Fox and VAR are driving me insane.
    I like to call VAR, Lisa - https://youtu.be/mPBPa2BQFRM

Curiously last night Bozza backed down a little but brought out the "un-natural" fallacy again.

Also they didn't even mention the Hoff goal. My have more analysis on A-League Hour tonight.

One thing few of you mention is that this is largely a problem of supply. Labour supply.

Who wants to be a referee? How many of you are state-league referees, or ref at a higher level? Why not?

Most A-League refs are part-time and paid relatively poorly for the work. It's not worth the time investment for most people, unless they genuinely love refereeing.

The solution is either to pay refs more (unlikely) or accept that, because of the tight supply, we'll cop duds.

(Yes, I've reffed at state-league level. It's not worth my time putting up with utter farqwits who can't accept decisions.)

Having said that, I was very strict on the "deliberate handball" rule and rarely awarded fouls or pens for handball.

And guess what? Players blew up about it all the time, insisting that ball touching the hand should be a pen regardless of arm movement/distance/speed/etc.

I always laugh at the hand ball, arm in unnatural position comments.
    Last time I checked his arm was still joined to his shoulder and runs along the side of his body with a large range of natural movement... what the ef in an arm in an unnatural position?