Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Totally agree...after saying how great it was for the first game Bridgey had to backtrack on the coverage.

The call was not an "obvious error", the video was not conclusive, and it took two minutes to flag it.

Kill it and kill it now...this will cause mayhem somewhere eventually.
    How good though was the reaction by Vidal though

Bloke has Mongrel

I actually hope we get a few more of these glaring **** ups with it

It be the best course of events to actually kill the ****er for good

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    This is an absolute debacle of a product.

Should be dead and buried after the tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Needs to be permanent, knts going spare, rofl

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    This is an absolute debacle of a product.

Should be dead and buried after the tournament.
    Alot of bad media over here about it. Most commentary is against it in the current format.

Not shutting the door, but it needs to be drastically improved if it would prove viable.
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    Alot of bad media over here about it. Most commentary is against it in the current format.

Not shutting the door, but it needs to be drastically improved if it would prove viable.
    Infantino says it's the future of football http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40335718
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I can see a lot more offsides being let go. With the idea that if you pull it up, that's it, play over, if you are wrong, you cost a team a goal. If it's close, and you let it go, they either score and it'll get reviewed or they don't score.
    How many pens are gonna be given for holding in the penalty area at corner kicks?

I think the outcome is good. You're gonna get correct decisions more often. We have eliminated goal/no goal decisions with goal line technology. That's been reasonably flawless right? (Haven't heard of any blunders anyway). Though this technology only relates to objective data, did the whole ball cross the line wholly? Yes or no.

VAR offsides will be ok to get an answer imo. But I'm not sure the rest will work. Can't wait to see a penalty overturned or given after a review. You're branching into reviewing subjective decisions. The sports Video technology works well in with minimal uproar relates to objective data. Tennis and Cricket use the technology well and can confirm or alter decisions.
    I'm not sure there's many sports that use Video Technology to assess subjective decisions, is it a foul, is it not, the rules and open to interpretation and that's somewhat the beauty of the game. Some referees will let play flow, some
    Will call up everything. One referees opinion of holding may be different to another.

I guess as a whole we want Minimal impact on the game, quick decisions and we want game consistent decisions.
    In my opinion, offsides leading directly to a goal should be able to be overturned (though will we see the attacking team be given more of an advantage by Assistant Referees).
    I guess we want the game to continue. Keep playing.
    Review goals after they are scored and waiting to kick off. There's a 30 second window. If play continues but a goal should be scored or there's a penalty or something, play on until the decision is made.

The future of football is money - end of. Alot of this rubbish going on is to get another US World Cup payday.

For 1994 they pushed for the personalised shirts. No real reason for it - at the ground you are usually too far away to see the names and on TV you get commentary. Along with stupid squad numbers it has contributed to increased sales in kit though by the millions.

The problems with VAR are yet to blow out - without VAR Chile's goal would have been given and there would have been minimal argument as the offside rule is meant to favour the attacking side if there is doubt. It was a goal, end of. The whole thing wasted time, sucked the life out of the players celebrations which looked silly when they decided to do it again and was totally confusing.

I am so waiting for the time in a big game when a penalty is not given and the defending team goes up the other end and scores before the review can be done.

As The Goodies predicted in one of their episodes by the 21st century (2001 and a bit) there will only be Rollerball left.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 21-06-2017 at 08:07 AM.

the last time y'all let everyone involved in a subjective decision making you ended up with President Trump.

Be careful what you wish for.

Video ref OUT.

Simple fact is.
    VAR doesn't get rid of the controversy surrounding dubious decision, it simply shifts it. It's what I've been saying to my mate all along. You only have to look at every other sport that has anything similar, the controversy is just shifted.

Let's just accepted that Referees make mistakes, sometimes it cost teams games. Players and Referees make mistakes every day, if any of these mistakes look like match fixing then launch an investigation into the incident.

Put VAR in the bin and lets move on, Goal line technology can stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Guardian Football Weekly podcast talks about VAR for the first 10 minutes or so. Not really in favour of it.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Simple fact is.
    VAR doesn't get rid of the controversy surrounding dubious decision, it simply shifts it. It's what I've been saying to my mate all along. You only have to look at every other sport that has anything similar, the controversy is just shifted.

Let's just accepted that Referees make mistakes, sometimes it cost teams games. Players and Referees make mistakes every day, if any of these mistakes look like match fixing then launch an investigation into the incident.

This is 100% correct and right and it's what I would write except the bit about telling my mate because I have no friends.

I'm all for goal line technology but this VAR really gets to me. Yes a fractionally offside call might be picked up and a goal dissallowed, but is it worth the extra 20 minutes we just spent sitting twiddling our thumbs as players and spectators as reviews are made throughout the game? I'd rather cop the goal and get stuck in trying to equalise. Shit ref calls is all part of the passion and fun of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Simple fact is.

Should send you to tell that to Mark Bosnich and David Gallop!

The thing has only been around a few months and there is turmoil already. How many times do we hear commentators disagreeing on what they see on the video replay (Cockerill/Harper Johnny K handball is a good example). You will never get it right. Sport is based on the good profiting on the mistakes of the not so good. Let it be.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 21-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Although there's controversy, is anybody complaining that correct calls are being made?
    If it's the difference between losing a World Cup Final to an offside goal in the 90th minute, and having that goal overturned and on to extra time, would it be okay then?

The problem people have is the time it takes to get the decisions out and the stoppage to the game.
    This is really the first competition worldwide that has had the technology being used, there's going to be teething issues but if we can find a way to improve it, without detracting from the game itself, then I don't think people would be opposed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Although there's controversy, is anybody complaining that correct calls are being made?
    If it's the difference between losing a World Cup Final to an offside goal in the 90th minute, and having that goal overturned and on to extra time, would it be okay then?

The problem people have is the time it takes to get the decisions out and the stoppage to the game.
    This is really the first competition worldwide that has had the technology being used, there's going to be teething issues but if we can find a way to improve it, without detracting from the game itself, then I don't think people would be opposed to it.
    They said that there would be teething issues in every other sport that has anything similar when it's first introduced.
    Guess what... They still have issues.
    You want to know why? Because a human is still making the decision and that means there is always a chance of human error.
    OMG, I know right shock horror, humans make errors.

Edit:
    I don't know why they are per$i$ting with thi$ when we have $o many example$ in other $port$ of it not working.
    Wait... Of cour$e I know why they are per$i$ting.
    Last edited by Premy; 21-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    We've already been through this very scenario.

The Brisbane/Perth GF a few years back.
    Berisha penalty in the 90th min.
    First replays made it look like a dive, commentators lost their shit. if VAR was around prob would have been overturned.

Hour after the game another angle appears showing clear contact proving ref was right.

VAR would have cost Roar a win.

The tech is flawed.
    The process is flawed.
    Piss it off.

So then you want penalties reviewed, but a free kick 5 yards outside the box is or isn't reviewable? Because anywhere within 25 yards of goal Griff was 100% success rate they are just as important as penalties.

It's and endless list of decisions which can 'cost' a team a World Cup win. I just reackon the refs are overwhelmingly more accurate than people give them credit for. Let them do the damn job.

Imagine if the VAR was around when the Coasties thought they saw James Holland hand ball the corner.

Obviously it would have stood but there would hav ebeen nervous moments.

And Danny would have gone to Beijing.

I shudder at the thought

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Imagine if the VAR was around when the Coasties thought they saw James Holland hand ball the corner.

Obviously it would have stood but there would hav ebeen nervous moments.

And Danny would have gone to Beijing.

I shudder at the thought
    Yeah but Jedinak would have been sent by then for the 50 yellows he should have got.

Endless conjecture, just what the game needs.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    We've already been through this very scenario.

The Brisbane/Perth GF a few years back.
    Berisha penalty in the 90th min.
    First replays made it look like a dive, commentators lost their shit. if VAR was around prob would have been overturned.

Hour after the game another angle appears showing clear contact proving ref was right.

VAR would have cost Roar a win.

The tech is flawed.
    The process is flawed.
    Piss it off.
    You only have to look at the Neill V Grosso penalty.
    Just speaking with a bloke I work with, he says no penalty Grosso went down to easy, I say penalty Neill made contact with the trailing leg.
    I'M GULLIBLE!