Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    (Yes, I've reffed at state-league level. It's not worth my time putting up with utter farqwits who can't accept decisions.)
    never went to state league level, but your reason for not continuing was exactly the same as mine. got sick of the abuse from players, coaches and fans. pretty serious matches those all age and junior games.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    The solution is either to pay refs more (unlikely) or accept that, because of the tight supply, we'll cop duds.
    This is a seperate issue to VAR though.

VAR had a written rule in front of them on Friday night and I can find no explaination as to why it wasn’t followed.

Because half of the explanations the ‘experts’ have given us are not in the rule.

Strebre knew the rule.
    It was applied wrong.
    No one up there in the box abusing him.
    He just got it wrong.
    Last edited by plague; 19-02-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I always laugh at the hand ball, arm in unnatural position comments.
    Last time I checked his arm was still joined to his shoulder and runs along the side of his body with a large range of natural movement... what the ef in an arm in an unnatural position?
    If you stand in a wall and raise your arms and leave them there 30 seconds before a free kick is taken and the ball hits the arm is it a free kick?
    The arms are there, the ball hits the arm. The arm doesn’t hit the ball as it doesn’t move.
    The defender probably couldn’t get his arms out of the way because the ball was travelling so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    If you stand in a wall and raise your arms and leave them there 30 seconds before a free kick is taken and the ball hits the arm is it a free kick?
    The arms are there, the ball hits the arm. The arm doesn’t hit the ball as it doesn’t move.
    The defender probably couldn’t get his arms out of the way because the ball was travelling so quick.
    I’d call handball, the intention is to use the arms to create an advantage.

Thing is bozza is a manc twat and never made a mistake in his career....that’s why he is the gift to Australian football punditry we all needed and slater is Arnold’s bum boy only just above speed and that teo/Leo whatever his name is Sydney loving oxygen thieves.....none of them have a clue about the game which is surprising considering they played a game or 2......****ing unnaturally position....your arms swing when you walk....anymore rapid or violent movement will make the arms move more so unless you are standing still the arms aren’t going to be by the side......and only bloody Ricky Ponting or Mark Waugh could move their arms or hands quick enough to get near the ball foe some of the bullshit that they call hand ball for.

Time for Fux sports to come up with some new blood in Commentary team . I got no problem with them expressing opinion on the game on The Sunday Show or A League hour type shows but when when it comes to calling the game i wish Slats and co would leave there Arnold bum loving bromance at home. There interpretation of the rules at times to favor there favorites is deplorable.

Game has massive issues at the moment with FFA and Fux doing it no justice whatsoever.
    Last edited by 380; 19-02-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Time for Fux sports to come up with some new blood in Commentary team . I got no problem with them expressing opinion on the game on The Sunday Show or A League hour type shows but when when it comes to calling the game i wish Slats and co would leave there Arnold bum loving bromance at home. There interpretation of the rules at times to favor there favorites is deplorable.

Game has massive issues at the moment with FFA and Fux doing it no justice whatsoever.
    Group-think
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

too right. stick it up those ***ts

Just saw a replay of the a league hour or whatever it was from last night and the manc twat was going on again about unnatural position....can someone with twitter tweet the idiot and peacock and fox and ask them to read the handball rule out on air so they might start to understand it....Jesus Christ how hard is some research on your job.

What are your thoughts on Birighiti red card from a few seasons ago when he comes out and handballs it outside his box. Handball or not?

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Just saw a replay of the a league hour or whatever it was from last night and the manc twat was going on again about unnatural position....can someone with twitter tweet the idiot and peacock and fox and ask them to read the handball rule out on air so they might start to understand it....Jesus Christ how hard is some research on your job.
    Not only that but the rule even says...

the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

As Ned said - "Topor wasn't pogoing at a Daft Punk concert...where else do his arms go". Respect to him as he knows the rule and was the only pundit to say it was an "unexpected ball" - which is the rule.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 20-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.

In live play, I don’t think it appears a hand ball given the context of the “pinball”. Play on.
    Should the VAR get involved. It’s reviewing a potential penalty.
    The replays make it look far worse. His arm moving as/after the ball strikes it into the arm gives the impression his arm is hitting the ball. Idk, I think the replays make it look worse because it removes the context and the speed from the equation.

On the whole, I don’t have too many issues with it. See those contentious calls everywhere. My gripe would be that the on field referees deemed it acceptable. If that was a Wanderers player I think we’d be pretty hard done by not to get a pen.

Suarez made a thing of flicking the ball up into defenders hands. In the process of trying to move their hand out of the way it makes it look like they move to the ball.

The only time your arms are by your sides are when you are standing still. Any other movement means your arms will move...walking, running, jumping, kicking a football....there is no "unnatural "position...unless you are breakdancing on the field.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    In live play, I don’t think it appears a hand ball given the context of the “pinball”. Play on.
    Should the VAR get involved. It’s reviewing a potential penalty.
    The replays make it look far worse. His arm moving as/after the ball strikes it into the arm gives the impression his arm is hitting the ball. Idk, I think the replays make it look worse because it removes the context and the speed from the equation.

On the whole, I don’t have too many issues with it. See those contentious calls everywhere. My gripe would be that the on field referees deemed it acceptable. If that was a Wanderers player I think we’d be pretty hard done by not to get a pen.

Suarez made a thing of flicking the ball up into defenders hands. In the process of trying to move their hand out of the way it makes it look like they move to the ball.
    If that was Roy charging down Thwaite and it pinged off Roy into Thwaites hand i couldnt give a **** if it was no penalty

Reason i feel this way is it isnt a ****ing penalty

The only time your arms are by your sides are when you are standing still. Any other movement means your arms will move...walking, running, jumping, kicking a football....there is no "unnatural "position...unless you are breakdancing on the field.
    Though in saying all this there was this Aston Villa player back in about ‘96 who’s arm was in an unnatural position and no on field penalty was given...just a fine....maybe that’s what bozza keeps referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    This is a seperate issue to VAR though.
    Not really.

A referee like Strebre floats to the top only because the pond is shallow.

But I've no idea how to enlarge the pond (make refereeing more attractive).

Banned
    Though in saying all this there was this Aston Villa player back in about ‘96 who’s arm was in an unnatural position and no on field penalty was given...just a fine....maybe that’s what bozza keeps referring to.
    Bozzas just bitter that as a keeper other non keeper cunce are using their hands

Just watched that A-League Hour. The stupid thing is they all agree it's a 50/50.

If that was the case why was it referred to VAR - surely a 50/50 call cannot be seen as an obvious error.

They didn't go down that path.

Amazingly though Bozza did say that Nabbs goal was better than Ninkos - which seemed to take Peacock aback a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Just watched that A-League Hour. The stupid thing is they all agree it's a 50/50.

If that was the case why was it referred to VAR - surely a 50/50 call cannot be seen as an obvious error.

They didn't go down that path.

Amazingly though Bozza did say that Nabbs goal was better than Ninkos - which seemed to take Peacock aback a bit.
    Yep. Obvious howler was the only reason provided by the FFA for the use of the VAR and the fact so many pundits can't make up there mind on NTS incident means it didn't come anywhere near this definition.

Yep. Obvious howler was the only reason provided by the FFA for the use of the VAR and the fact so many pundits can't make up there mind on NTS incident means it didn't come anywhere near this definition.
    I would argue the same for Hoff's goal too. Tbh I probably would tend to think its a foul myself - but not by much. And if the ref saw it and was happy to play on, where is the obvious error that was overruled?

I also think WSW offside was not an obvious error - although at least with offside there is black and white right/wrong so I'm sort of ok with them correcting wrong decisions.