Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I would argue the same for Hoff's goal too. Tbh I probably would tend to think its a foul myself - but not by much. And if the ref saw it and was happy to play on, where is the obvious error that was overruled?

I also think WSW offside was not an obvious error - although at least with offside there is black and white right/wrong so I'm sort of ok with them correcting wrong decisions.
    There is no way Hoffs goal could have been any kind of foul. He jumped at the ball, put his head to where the ball was supposed to be, didn't use his hands or his body to gain any advantage. Just jumped.
    The fact that he hit the keepers hands is irrelevant. if it was another players head (not the keeper) it would have stood and been see as an accidental head clash within the moment, "a part of the game" if you like.

We place too much protection around the keepers at all times, when the only time we should be protecting them more is when they're on the ground around swinging feet/legs.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKplunk View Post
    There is no way Hoffs goal could have been any kind of foul. He jumped at the ball, put his head to where the ball was supposed to be, didn't use his hands or his body to gain any advantage. Just jumped.
    The fact that he hit the keepers hands is irrelevant. if it was another players head (not the keeper) it would have stood and been see as an accidental head clash within the moment, "a part of the game" if you like.

We place too much protection around the keepers at all times, when the only time we should be protecting them more is when they're on the ground around swinging feet/legs.
    I agree with you. But given that that is not currently the case, and outfield players concede a foul for breathing on a keeper, then I think its a foul (in the current environment). My point though was more that since the ref didn't think it was one, why was VAR able to say he'd made an obvious error to overrule it?

I don't know. I was a fan of VAR being implemented but the further along this season goes the more opposed I'm becoming to it. I still like the concept, but they need to go WAY back to the drawing board with how its implemented.

Am a fan also of the VAR its just Delovski and Green F&*K$d it up so badly last Friday night.

Delovski has been the architect of so many bad VAR decisions this season his position needs to be the subject of the VAR itself but somehow they would manage to cluster ^&* that up also.

Banned
    I agree with you. But given that that is not currently the case, and outfield players concede a foul for breathing on a keeper, then I think its a foul (in the current environment). My point though was more that since the ref didn't think it was one, why was VAR able to say he'd made an obvious error to overrule it?

I don't know. I was a fan of VAR being implemented but the further along this season goes the more opposed I'm becoming to it. I still like the concept, but they need to go WAY back to the drawing board with how its implemented.
    The further the season goes along it just more and more confirmation those that said it was shite at day 1 are proven to be correct

Regardless of what anyone says it aint going to be perfect no matter what the VAR believers claim

So why have it??

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    The further the season goes along it just more and more confirmation those that said it was shite at day 1 are proven to be correct

Regardless of what anyone says it aint going to be perfect no matter what the VAR believers claim

So why have it??
    "But...its here to stay"....Adam Peacock 2017/18 (ad nauseum)

I agree with you. But given that that is not currently the case, and outfield players concede a foul for breathing on a keeper, then I think its a foul (in the current environment). My point though was more that since the ref didn't think it was one, why was VAR able to say he'd made an obvious error to overrule it.
    And its become the 'norm' to have woeful decisions week in week out in the current environment. Doesn't mean it's correct does it.

I agree with you that it wasn't an obvious error also so therefore couldn't be overturned in my opinion.

Look how much more entertaining and free flowing football was with some physicals and no VAR (in the second half)...

Last edited by Jetmaster; 21-02-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Look how much more entertaining and free flowing football was with some physicals and no VAR (in the second half)...

Damn I love that show. “Women! Know your limits!”

FFA admit they were wrong with one - "but the other two were right!"

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52...y-call/?cs=306

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    FFA admit they were wrong with one - "but the other two were right!"

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/52...y-call/?cs=306
    So we win 2-1 yeh?

Showing some accountability is a good step.

so, a referee on the field made the correct decision, to be over-ruled by a referee with the benefit of replays, to then be shown to be correct by another bunch of referees watching the same replays. top work by all.

i don't recall, did green run over to look at the screen or just award the penalty based on the word of the VAR?

if he did, then he's just as culpable as the VAR. if he didn't, then he's just as culpable as the VAR for not telling him to bugger off.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    so, a referee on the field made the correct decision, to be over-ruled by a referee with the benefit of replays, to then be shown to be correct by another bunch of referees watching the same replays. top work by all.

i don't recall, did green run over to look at the screen or just award the penalty based on the word of the VAR?

if he did, then he's just as culpable as the VAR. if he didn't, then he's just as culpable as the VAR for not telling him to bugger off.
    He looked at the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I agree with the pod discussion - Green looked like Strebre was leading him through some of those decisions.

Ernie has got it in one - who's the boss?

Green looked at the screen but you can see that he had Strebe in his ear the whole time telling him what he SHOULD be seeing.

And the only replays on screen on fox at the time he was looking were slow motion...if that’s what he sees on his iPad then no wonder he had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    And the only replays on screen on fox at the time he was looking were slow motion...if that’s what he sees on his iPad then no wonder he had no idea.
    In my opinion (formed mainly for TV viewers but also applicable to VAR) they should show at least one full speed replay again after looking at the slow mo's. Slow mo is helpful to see the order in which stuff happens and the specifics of what and where - but can distort reality as well. Once you know what happened you should see it again in full speed to make sure your understanding is not skewed and get a full appreciation for whatever event you're watching. Be it handballs, tackles, challenges etc. Even elbows and stuff can look super intentional in slow mo when it looks like he's staring at the guy for 3 seconds before moving an elbow towards the head.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43202295

Video assistant referees (VAR) will not be used in next season's Champions League, with the head of Uefa saying he sees "a lot of confusion".

The International Football Association Board, which rules on the game's laws, meets on Saturday to decide whether to approve the technology permanently.

If it does, then Fifa is committed to using the system at the World Cup.

But Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said: "Fans see the VAR screen all the time but nobody knows how it works."

He added: "We will not use it in the Champions League next season.

"For me, it might be a good project but we shouldn't rush it."

An Ifab report last month said that the VAR system has been accurate in 98.9% of decisions so far during its two-year worldwide trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I see that all the decisions made in the A league make up 1.1% of the results..

If the Spurs/Rochdale FA Cup game today doesn’t kill it then nothing will.

What a ****ing mess that was.