Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    If it's all an interpretation then why don't we just allow the referee to interpret
    because we cant trust the bloke the ref kit to do it so we get ummmmmm, more blokes in ref kit to do it.

yes, this sentence is as absurd as it sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

As Phil Neville said...we now argue whether it should go to VAR or not. Not whether its a foul or not.

You can feel this will explode bigtime during the knockout phase.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    As Phil Neville said...we now argue whether it should go to VAR or not. Not whether its a foul or not.

You can feel this will explode bigtime during the knockout phase.
    Who do we want to wear it??

England int that good of a choice because they sulk with ecuses anytime they get knocked out anyway

His hoping Germany gets the arse with it

So looking at the Columbian goal - can the var go back and say that the free kick given wasnt correct and cancel out the goal? Is that part of its ability or is it only penalty decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    So looking at the Columbian goal - can the var go back and say that the free kick given wasnt correct and cancel out the goal? Is that part of its ability or is it only penalty decisions?
    Only for penalties. Was a terrible call tho

For me, technology should be used where there is no subjectivity and the outcome is clear. For example - did the ball cross the line or not? That's a yes or no answer. Was that the right person I am booking? Yes or no? It would need some work but, were they offside or not?

Where the VAR is re-referring the match in slow-motion replays we are getting conjecture. Is a foul able to be clear cut or not? It's too subjective. Add into that how far back they can look back for other fouls in the lead up - it's just messy.

What I think they are getting right is the speed at which the decisions are being made. There hasn't been what we see in the A-League - the two minute on-field debate where the ref has their hand to their ear before going to review the monitor and a decision made after 5 minutes. It also appears the reason for the decision has been communicated to the commentators because they seem to know exactly why it has been awarded.

I don't want to say it is working but it isn't failing as spectacularly for me as I had hoped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

i'd be interested to know if the on-field ref can tell the VAR to bugger off.

There were a good half dozen times last night the Columbians hit the deck looking for a pen/free just outside the box.

If you slowed them down there was absolutely contact and the player went down. If it was a VAR they have to give the foul.

But.

I swear the ref waved them off in an overdramatically way because he concluded the contact wasnt enough to cause the player to go over and it was if to signal to upstairs that he was making the decision.

Again, another reason why the discretion should be left to the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    For me, technology should be used where there is no subjectivity and the outcome is clear. For example - did the ball cross the line or not? That's a yes or no answer. Was that the right person I am booking? Yes or no? It would need some work but, were they offside or not?

Where the VAR is re-referring the match in slow-motion replays we are getting conjecture. Is a foul able to be clear cut or not? It's too subjective. Add into that how far back they can look back for other fouls in the lead up - it's just messy.
    Exactly.

- ball crossing the goal line
    - offside
    - blatant handball in the box when the ref doesn't have a clear view
    - foul play (a la Zidane...)

A competent ref should be prepared to deal with everything else in real time and if he/she screws up... so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

What I think they are getting right is the speed at which the decisions are being made. There hasn't been what we see in the A-League - the two minute on-field debate where the ref has their hand to their ear before going to review the monitor and a decision made after 5 minutes. It also appears the reason for the decision has been communicated to the commentators because they seem to know exactly why it has been awarded.

I don't want to say it is working but it isn't failing as spectacularly for me as I had hoped.
    It's a good point though - this is exactly how it should have been used in the A-league. I haven't seen them use for it a single decision outside the box yet, or any off the ball stuff inside the box. I don't mind them using it for the penalty calls. The ref gets a second chance to view what he thought was a penalty, and from the majority of games I've seen, most of the time the ref ends up giving the PK. I haven't seen any actual goals be reviewed in a way that's affected the team or fans celebrating.

On that note, anyone else here watch the NRL? If you don't, they have dramatically sped up how quick they review a try, give their explanation, and then the decision. Compared to how horrible it was when it was first implemented, it's almost flawless now. As soon as they run a camera angle that isn't going to help, they switch to a different one. The argument still exists that it takes away from the immediate impact of a team scoring a try, but knowing they'll take 5 seconds to review it makes it a lot better. No reason why the a-league VAR can't be improved, especially after its implementation in the WC.

Some of the biggest problems in the a-league was when they used it v when they didn't, when they reviewed things and still got them wrong, and how bloody long it took. I'm not seeing those issues yet at the WC.

Question I always thought that a free kick should be given, where the foul began, not ended. I.e the first contact...?

Watching Russia - Egypt, the egptians penalty. First decision was free kick outside of the box (thought correct) but VAR then came and said it was a penalty?

To me the contract began outside of the box!
    Amigos Aarau

If the contact continued into the box it’s a penalty.

Player gets held back outside the box, it’s a free kick, play advantage as player enters area, if holding is still happening then the advantage is penalty.

Banned
    How good those blokes watching the Serb bloke getting physically handcuffed in the box by 2 Swiss coppers and not seeing anything??

Farce

Holding penalties from corners or free kicks are rarely given.
    I’d been waiting for skrtel to give up penalties for year for Liverpool and I think I only remember one.

Kane was getting rugby league tackled out of the way

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    can't be bothered hosting/inline pasting but here's David Squires summing it all up nicely

VAR.jpg

Banned
    So what was the VAR doing when Boateng dragged the Swede down this morning??

Clear and obvious error??

FMD

One thing I do like about how they are implementing it at World Cup is that the main referee is making the decisions.
    He will get a whisper, “hey you should review this one” and he will watch the replays and make his decision.

Yeh, it takes some time, but I think it’s better than some guy watching a tv screen telling the referee to award a penalty.

The pen in the Arg/Nig game was a joke.

It seems the further we get into the tournament, the more VAR is evolving into the mess we witnessed in the A-league.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    It seems the further we get into the tournament, the more VAR is evolving into the mess we witnessed in the A-league.
    Long may it continue
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Tons of fanbois on English forums atm. Soooo hope they get a dodgy one to knock them out.
    Make a change from penalties.