Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR - It's Football But Not As You Know It

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    So then you want penalties reviewed, but a free kick 5 yards outside the box is or isn't reviewable? Because anywhere within 25 yards of goal Griff was 100% success rate they are just as important as penalties.

It's and endless list of decisions which can 'cost' a team a World Cup win. I just reackon the refs are overwhelmingly more accurate than people give them credit for. Let them do the damn job.
    Well, that's it right?
    You have people complaining that referees can't make decisions. Complaining that in the fast paced nature of the game, high risk games, a world of players trying to deceive the referee with diving, play acting and complaining. People complain that they are being tricked and making poor decisions. The world is quick to jump on referee decisions (jump on over and check out the gracious Membah in the NPL thread) and blame them for the games shortcomings. Technology has the ability to make a fool out of players who are making this somewhat neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Imagine if the VAR was around when the Coasties thought they saw James Holland hand ball the corner.

Obviously it would have stood but there would hav ebeen nervous moments.

And Danny would have gone to Beijing.

I shudder at the thought
    And Griff would have been awarded the goal ....... The goal HE scored....Bridge pfffff!!!
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Bridge pfffff!!!
    Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Who?
    the guy with weak ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Although there's controversy, is anybody complaining that correct calls are being made?
    But they aren't, that's the point. The wrong call was made for the Chile goal as it was called correctly on the field and was not an obvious error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    But they aren't, that's the point. The wrong call was made for the Chile goal as it was called correctly on the field and was not an obvious error.
    You're saying he was onside?

I assume he's saying that it was close enough to onside that it should be within the realm of benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. Perhaps for offsides they should establish a defined distance by which they need to be offside before an overrule is allowed, instead of hiding behind "obvious error/mistake". Its done for different reasons in cricket (precision of technology / margin of error) but its not dissimilar to the LBW review hawkeye system, where at least half the ball needs to be hitting the stumps to overrule an on-field decision that it was not hitting the stumps.

For arguments sake, say 0.5m of daylight between the last defender and the attacker.

Can anyone actually find a 'big game' that was decided by ref error?

We seem to be going through a hell of a lot of drama for something that doesn't ever really happen.

Can anyone actually find a 'big game' that was decided by ref error?

We seem to be going through a hell of a lot of drama for something that doesn't ever really happen.
    France vs Ireland. Henry handball not given. WC qualifier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUxMRYJAso

Was literally just copying the URL....beat me.

Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
    Any others?

Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
    Any others?
    Classic moving the goal posts strategy. "I challenge you to find even one game that would have made a difference"... "Okay, now found two".

1966 World Cup Final - I always say it bounced on the line but technology "designed by EA Sports" : says otherwise....that's where this crap will head.

Classic moving the goal posts strategy. "I challenge you to find even one game that would have made a difference"... "Okay, now found two".
    Far from it. I was actually giving people a chance to strengthen the case for me because as of right now the instances of video technology being right are far outweighed by the instances of video technology not being right.

So you guys go die on that hill if you want but your one example won't win many fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    1966 World Cup Final - I always say it bounced on the line but technology "designed by EA Sports" : says otherwise....that's where this crap will head.

Yeah but I think we're all good with goalline tech. So this one doesn't count.

Besides, the ref got it right yeah?

Far from it. I was actually giving people a chance to strengthen the case for me because as of right now the instances of video technology being right are far outweighed by the instances of video technology not being right.

So you guys go die on that hill if you want but your one example won't win many fans.
    Oh, I am in favour of human error. As someone said earlier, all this does is move the human error from a guy in a fluro shirt on field to a guy in front of a screen.

Actually, back in Ye olden days when Aust drew (lost) the World Cup playoff at the MCG was it ever determined if the dude was (clearly) offside or were Aussie fans just crying?

Ok that's a good one.

So that's one.
    Any others?
    Chelsea vs Liverpool 2005 UCL quarter finals ball never crosses the line replays back this up. Goal given to liverpool and they progress to the final
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Banned
    Actually, back in Ye olden days when Aust drew (lost) the World Cup playoff at the MCG was it ever determined if the dude was (clearly) offside or were Aussie fans just crying?
    First goal the bloke was offside

The second that night he was onside clear as

Just shit defending

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I can see a lot more offsides being let go. With the idea that if you pull it up, that's it, play over, if you are wrong, you cost a team a goal. If it's close, and you let it go, they either score and it'll get reviewed or they don't score.
    How many pens are gonna be given for holding in the penalty area at corner kicks?

I think the outcome is good. You're gonna get correct decisions more often. We have eliminated goal/no goal decisions with goal line technology. That's been reasonably flawless right? (Haven't heard of any blunders anyway). Though this technology only relates to objective data, did the whole ball cross the line wholly? Yes or no.

VAR offsides will be ok to get an answer imo. But I'm not sure the rest will work. Can't wait to see a penalty overturned or given after a review. You're branching into reviewing subjective decisions. The sports Video technology works well in with minimal uproar relates to objective data. Tennis and Cricket use the technology well and can confirm or alter decisions.
    I'm not sure there's many sports that use Video Technology to assess subjective decisions, is it a foul, is it not, the rules and open to interpretation and that's somewhat the beauty of the game. Some referees will let play flow, some
    Will call up everything. One referees opinion of holding may be different to another.

I guess as a whole we want Minimal impact on the game, quick decisions and we want game consistent decisions.
    In my opinion, offsides leading directly to a goal should be able to be overturned (though will we see the attacking team be given more of an advantage by Assistant Referees).
    I guess we want the game to continue. Keep playing.
    Review goals after they are scored and waiting to kick off. There's a 30 second window. If play continues but a goal should be scored or there's a penalty or something, play on until the decision is made.
    Disagree about other sports using it well

Cricket is a ****ing joke with Hawkeye

There are times the ball clearly missing or hitting stumps height or direction and this **** of a technology either shows it missing or hitting when to all and sundry it ain't

It amazing that the home side seems to get the benefit of arsey decisions

Guaranteed nailed on Aussies get the 50/50 calls in the Ashes this year

Let's not even go down the road of snicko and hot spot failing at times

Sure it may drag the occasional better decision out but it also fails at times

The only good use of technology in cricket was the 3rd umpire for runouts

After that it all ****ing down hill

Just as it going to be in football