Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixture 2017/18

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post

We move forward!
    That's flirting with a ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

The "first 11" had been flogged on the training field earlier, were sore and tired. Merrick said he wanted to see how they played fatigued.

Were were dominant when we had our starting 11. No point going out and flogging some under 18-20's coming last in NPL.
    It's all about getting match fit and cohesion between the new players coming in. There were plenty of positives for our first hit out.

Game turned to shit when the majority of the first 11 came off and our "youth" came on... Looked like an under 15's game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Totally agree with Ernie's assessment - rusty, still adapting to new style, some nice football (first goal a highlight) but could have done better. Hit crossbar and the post.

For those thinking it was a "serious" hitout and base our season on it - it was just a training exercise.

Only a dollar to get in, Jets wore training shirts with no numbers and gave all the squad a run. Topor was told from the sideline to "go easy". Hoff was playing number 8 at the end and walking. That said the first 20 mins of intensity from Weston will do them good. No injuries either on what was a slippery and bumpy surface.

We move forward!
    But that is the piss weak mentality that sees us constantly Fail when it does matter

If the club are going to treat it at as a half arsed joke and the players play within themselves when it matters you think they going to have that blood thirsty ruthlessness required to succeed??

You practice and play at 100% all the time

I am with Plague the club really should be smashing these local jamokes every time we play them

Judging by that shit the Jets be lucky to make the top 4 in the NPL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    I watched probably 20 minutes to 60 minutes.

positives
    Kantarovski played 1 back pass all night (he used to do about 20 a game)
    Petratos being so underdone was still probably the best player on the field.
    O Donovan will get goals this year purely on frontline press. he pressed immaculately well the jets had 90% possession mostly for that reason.

negatives
    kosta petratos & shabow are going to have to step up big time to make it even close to the starting 11 let alone the bench, were wasteful against the team coming last in the NPL
    way to much passing around the box trying to be cute instead of shooting, agree with above that we should have won 10-0
    Weston claiming to have the worlds best chicken burger, they aint even the best in Newcastle, Olympic are number 1

lets hope Ernie's contacts in South America are decent because we need a number 10 desperately, Wayne Brown is not a 10, he is a 6.
    Olympic are the only club doing a chicken Burger worth eating

The rest of the NPL clubs I wouldn't buy a chicken Burger to feed to a dog

It's their first game. If you've ever played at a reasonable level are you not aware that sometimes the focus is not to put 10 goals past a shit team.
    Each training drill is not a matter of life or death with heavy tackles.
    I daresay the message to the players would've been along the lines of, let's think about what we are trying to do in a low pressure environment, focus on an aspect of the game eg no passes back. Let's see if we can play the whole game with minimal back passes. Not because that's how they will always play, but having that in the bank will help when the opportunity presents.

Can't read much into it. I imagine they are slowly raising intensity and match fitness and sharpness to eventually peak for season beginning.
    No point winning meaningless trials if you can't use the tactics against proper opposition.

Was expecting a much better result than that.

What we need to remember is our Youth team currently plays in the same comp as Weston, and are ahead of them. So even if our starting team was changed out for mostly youth players, we still should have beaten them more convincingly.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    If you've ever played at a reasonable level
    Oh gawd here we go.

If the game situation didn't matter why play against another team?

You want to do training drills just play shirts v skins and take the evenings off to watch Home and Away/Foreign Correspondent etc.

Heaven forbid you make the result matter in a game against a foreign opponent to get ready for the season when you, yanno, play games against foreign opponents where results matter.

Nothing makes me smile more than people who accept a lower level of intensity than say the EPL then excuse it by saying "oh those guys care more because they play EPL".

Did anyone ever consider that it's that mentality that gets these players to that level?

Oh wait, sorry I forgot Messi, Ronaldo, Griff were born with MAGICAL SOCKAH POWERS.

Great to have football back, hey. This place has been too quiet.

Been a long off season and I'm sure people are itching to talk about the Jets inability to get 3 points last night.

I expect many will take time to dust off the cobwebs and get back to top posting form.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    It's their first game. If you've ever played at a reasonable level are you not aware that sometimes the focus is not to put 10 goals past a shit team.
    Each training drill is not a matter of life or death with heavy tackles.
    I daresay the message to the players would've been along the lines of, let's think about what we are trying to do in a low pressure environment, focus on an aspect of the game eg no passes back. Let's see if we can play the whole game with minimal back passes. Not because that's how they will always play, but having that in the bank will help when the opportunity presents.

Can't read much into it. I imagine they are slowly raising intensity and match fitness and sharpness to eventually peak for season beginning.
    No point winning meaningless trials if you can't use the tactics against proper opposition.
    You say that like Bert has rustled up 20 120/140kilo fat ****s who haven't exercised in years and they are now on the Biggest Loser

These blokes are fit 20 something men
    They are more than capable of running around for 90 mins after 1 day of pre season or 100 days of it

As for your remarks on intensity.

You set the mark and then expect it to be achieved from day 1 you don't set a standard below what is required and build up to it

That just rewards under achievement

"Real Madrid's 2016/17 preseason got off to a less-than-ideal start as it came undone against a much sharper, fitter Paris Saint-Germain. The European champions kicked off their preseason tour of the United States with a 3-1 loss at the hands of the French champions as Zinedine Zidane got a first look at his team in a match-day environment. Zidane sent out a completely different team for the second half, with Marco Asensio, Martin Odegaard and Dani Carvajal all coming on, while he also called on his son Enzo, who replaced Lucas Vazquez."

The poor bastards never recovered from that first defeat...

Every player the jets have on their books should be too good to play in the npl. EVERYONE OF THEM FROM SENIOR DOWN TO YOUTH. Last night I saw too many Jets that looked like they would fit in to an npl team. No offense to the npl either they have a good product - but the professional product needs to be better beyond doubt in all facets of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Olympic are the only club doing a chicken Burger worth eating

The rest of the NPL clubs I wouldn't buy a chicken Burger to feed to a dog
    I'm guessing people haven't eaten at Garden Suburb recently. Should venture up and check out the Chicken burger, it'll make your top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    I'm guessing people haven't eaten at Garden Suburb recently. Should venture up and check out the Chicken burger, it'll make your top 5.
    Apparently the Marty McFly from Rascal is all the rage these days. If only I was still working in Newy instead of Hamilton.

Apparently the Marty McFly from Rascal is all the rage these days. If only I was still working in Newy instead of Hamilton.
    Shipyard takeaway at Wickham does probably the best works/schnitty works I've ever had as well. It's amaze. Should anyone be passing through, be sure to grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    You say that like Bert has rustled up 20 120/140kilo fat ****s who haven't exercised in years and they are now on the Biggest Loser

These blokes are fit 20 something men
    They are more than capable of running around for 90 mins after 1 day of pre season or 100 days of it

As for your remarks on intensity.

You set the mark and then expect it to be achieved from day 1 you don't set a standard below what is required and build up to it

That just rewards under achievement
    No, I'm saying that the focus was perhaps not to put as many past a NPL team as possible, but rather focus on certain aspects that are new to them.

Why do we even have pre season training? They should be pushed from 1st January to 31st December. All year, training hard for 365 days a year. The whole idea of preseason is to work yourself up to the level you were at, to be in peak condition for the season ahead. It's basic sports psychology and physiology.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Heaven forbid you make the result matter in a game against a foreign opponent to get ready for the season when you, yanno, play games against foreign opponents where results matter.
    Makes me think of comparisons to the Socceroos nowadays. A lot of people are being blasted for pointing out how we are rarely winning games, and that points aren't the be all and end all. Yes, we will almost definitely qualify for the WC but that Thai draw has made things a lot shakier than they should have been. Sure, we had a decent effort at the Confederations Cup, but we "only" managed 2 points. And you know one person it has genuinely affected? Mark Milligan. Our ranking is too low to pass visa requirements in England.

Underachieving always has an effect. Regardess of context.

Weston train I assume 2 or 3 days a week for a couple of hours. Even "only" being a fortnight in, our "professional" training should have had us in pretty decent physical shape for last night. Add into this the pedigree of our players and we should have wiped them last night.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    "Real Madrid's 2016/17 preseason got off to a less-than-ideal start as it came undone against a much sharper, fitter Paris Saint-Germain. The European champions kicked off their preseason tour of the United States with a 3-1 loss at the hands of the French champions as Zinedine Zidane got a first look at his team in a match-day environment. Zidane sent out a completely different team for the second half, with Marco Asensio, Martin Odegaard and Dani Carvajal all coming on, while he also called on his son Enzo, who replaced Lucas Vazquez."

The poor bastards never recovered from that first defeat...
    So what was the fallout?
    Was the coach happy?
    Were the players happy?

Because if you think the result is what we are talking about then you're not reading the posts correctly.

Again, whether we are 'match fit' or not.
    Whether we are 'experimenting with formations' or not.
    Whether we are playing a high or low standard of opponent.

Every single facet of the clubs attitude should be about being the absolute best they can be. Because if they don't think it, why the hell should the fans/sponsors etc?

No, I'm saying that the focus was perhaps not to put as many past a NPL team as possible, but rather focus on certain aspects that are new to them.

Why do we even have pre season training? They should be pushed from 1st January to 31st December. All year, training hard for 365 days a year. The whole idea of preseason is to work yourself up to the level you were at, to be in peak condition for the season ahead. It's basic sports psychology and physiology.
    The first touches from most of the Jets players were terrible, our defence is very slow [ NTS has lost a few yards pace since we last had him]. If our issues were fitness related I wouldn't be so worried. As for working themselves up to the level they were at - lets fold the club now if that is the aim of the pre-season.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 12-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

and who knows, maybe copping a solid flogging all over the park might convince the Weston boys to elevate their game too.