Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jetstream Interviews - Ernie Merrick and Lawrie McKinna

LM - on the 24th February 2018, our club will be celebrating 10 years since we won the Grand Final against some poorly coached tin pot outfit that paid more players outside of the cap than any other team at the time (I dare you not to veto this one!). The A-League fixtures have us playing an away game against Roar on that date. Why was a derby not scheduled for this important date? Did the club work with the FFA to attempt to achieve this, and if so what were the reasons this was denied?
    OK

Reminder the questions close on Wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

EM (someone please word this better, I'm struggling how to word it) - when you coached against us over the years, who were the players from the Jerks you were most worried about facing, which Jerks players got the most attention in the lead up to game plans? Also you must have been keen to sign some Jerks players to your teams over the years - which players did you approach, but fail to sign for whatever reason?
    OK

LM. Please explain yourself for not instructing the brass band to be shot. By the %^&* they are annoying.

LM - I know of a number of people (we have lost four of our group), who have decided not to persist with Gold or Silver membership and downgrade to general admission or pay on the day. The reason being that even though you pay the premium your seat is not guaranteed. Tickets are not checked and anyone can really sit anywhere unless challenged by a member and that can be awkward. We had one farcical situation last season where 6 Wanderers fans roamed around the Gold section until they found seats where nobody asked them to move. The excuse is usually "look at the empty seats" and " get out of the sun", but what about the members who pay top dollar for those seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    ....question about member seats....
    I stress this point every time this subject is brought up. Just realise that by putting this question to the club, you are asking them to divert what already little resources (aka $$) they have into paying more security guards on gameday so you don't have to interact with other humans, basically.

Do you want more marquee players, more club initiatives, better kit suppliers, more merchandise options, more fan engagement, more thought put into basically anything from the club, our youth coach to not also double up as CEO, cheaper memberships, paid experienced employees as opposed to a cage full of interns, club people lobbying the FFA for things to improve our club more often and with greater effect, a bigger scouting network, better resources for W-League and Youth team, more input into club facilities, jets shaped hats, a clubhouse (inc pool), etc..... or do you want more security guards so you don't have to deal with people. I just have to stress what you are asking for here.

Because this question is really easy for the club to answer, and is the kind of red herring they would, and do, jump at. If you're still happy with your decision to ask the club this, leave your post as is. If you'd rather any of the above, I highly implore you to edit/remove your question. Note that I know 90% of my own questions are bullshit, and not universally agreed on, either. But 90% of my questions aren't getting a straight answer, or even asked, because they aren't an easy diversion for them. All I'm asking for fans that think similar to JM is to try and prioritize what you want from your club, particularly when you can judge how they'll jump at certain things over others. JM know I'm not trying to attack you personally either - I've been trying to fight this fight for years. This kind of question, to me, is similar to tweetman_03 asking Lawrie to change NTUA "well, we've had a lot of positive feedback to do it .xlm". LM seems too happy almost always to pick the low hanging fruit - let's make him reach, or at least find the money to buy a club ladder or something (it's the only ladder our team will be climbing this year.. hold me back).
    OK

If it is now at a point where people with 10 year memberships are cancelling because they don't see value (not because of the team's performance), then yes, it has become a critical issue that the club needs to answer. That is revenue lost to the club that would help pay for the same things you mention. And that problem, is escalating. I'll give Con credit - he had a security check at every entrance back in the day.

I have no problem if the Jetstream boys consider other questions are more important - we were asked for questions and I'm giving one.

I am comfortable if the club do not wish to answer this question. I am also comfortable with cancelling another four Gold Memberships at the end of this season if my wife is again verbally abused by someone asked to vacate her reserved Gold seat. Happy to lounge in Bay 60's wide open spaces and maybe mosey up to my old seats if they are vacant. It is their call entirely.

What are your plans to bring back the 3000+ members who haven't signed up from 5 years ago, plus bring new members in?
    You said this and I am giving you one of the reasons - far from one of the main reasons, but one of them just the same.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 25-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.

just on this ticket/seat stuff.
    did anyone else go to the Matildas game the other night?

were all tickets sold as GA and you just rocked up and grabbed a seat?

because thats what it looked like to us, and we did the exact thing. wandered into the bottom of the western stand, got a good seat and had a hoot.
    no security checking anything, and no one claiming seats as reserved of anyone already in them.

So Jets/Gypo etc: why dont we just sell every ticket to every Jets game as a GA, then let people sit in the lower bowl of east/west stands of hill whatever takes their fancy? that way you can run bars/catering more efficiently. keep the crowd looking more packed than it is (16k at the girls game looked awesome). keep an away bay/active area (if they fill it) to keep the well 'ard crue happy.

Adjust the price up a couple bucks to average out the cost, maybe even create some atmosphere at games by having people more concentrated. run family tickets etc and try and encourage people to come to the games and enjoy themselves instead of thinking that the Jets hate their fans.

because Jetmaster and pv4 are both right on this issue, even though they are on completely opposite sides. yet here is your boy Plague offering up some free* advice right in the middle to keep everyone happy. except probably old 'stuck in the mud' executives who cant think outside a god damned box every now and then.

*enjoy it while you can gypo, it dont come around often.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

100% plague

Going to the cinemas without a labelled seat used to be awesome. You want a good seat, you get there early for it. Labelling seats ruined it imo. Now you've got self.entitled Joe Blo saying "i online reserved seat G4"
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    100% plague

Going to the cinemas without a labelled seat used to be awesome. You want a good seat, you get there early for it. Labelling seats ruined it imo. Now you've got self.entitled Joe Blo saying "i online reserved seat G4"
    huh?

theatres have reserved seats now?

man i gotta get out of the house* more often.

*and by 'house' i mean 'mothers basement'
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Whilst I agree with both sides of the argument here, I'm leaning in more of the JM direction and with pv4's question about what is being done to bring back those members who have probably now gone elsewhere?

If you are going to offer tiered membership levels, there HAS to be inclusions that make those tiers worth spending a little extra on.
    I used to be a Gold member way back in the day. Once the security, or even ticket checkers, on each bay were removed and every Tom, Dick and Moron decided they could sit in my seats I changed my membership level. That's a loss of revenue.
    And whilst I'm not going anywhere (We're all masochists at heart), there's times when I've considered downgrading further to Bronze because there is literally NO reason for me to pay the extra for a Silver or Gold membership at the moment.
    Everyone get's the same member pack, and the only difference is the position of my seat.

These are actually pressing issues, because I can guarantee as CEO, one of Lawrie's continued employment conditions will be to increase memberships and revenue from those memberships.

I liked the GA at the Matilda's it created a buzz to get in and get your seats etc etc

FFA let it happen at their game - why not an a-league one?

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Because original thought is frowned upon in the ‘business world’.

The safe play is always within the margins. Risk is a dirty word.

It’s how we got Merrick as coach, and Moss as a keeper and Kosmina as a kit supplier.

You guys realise that blokes like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates would never have been considered qualified enough to get a job at the Jets?

Nothings ever gonna change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    LM - With the Chinese Government's restriction on spending on investment in "trophy assets" such as football clubs affecting European football clubs under Chinese Ownership, and the transfer of players into China, what impacts, if any, do you forsee having on Ledman Group's ownership of the Jets?
    Now THIS is a pertinent and very relevant question.
    N1 Jeterpool. No1 question IMHO.

+1 from Retro on this one. You got in before me.
    There's other implications for me asking this question of course

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Because original thought is frowned upon in the ‘business world’.

The safe play is always within the margins. Risk is a dirty word.

It’s how we got Merrick as coach, and Moss as a keeper and Kosmina as a kit supplier.

You guys realise that blokes like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates would never have been considered qualified enough to get a job at the Jets?

Nothings ever gonna change.
    im just intrigued by the double standards - I know they'll spout security and allocated seating blah blah for a-league matches. I just dont see the difference between a Matilda's match and any other event at the stadium.

I've no doubt they reckon they can get more $$$ selling classified seats - so the next time the Matilda's are in town and the FFA know there's a market for the tickets, I can't see it being all GA again.

im just intrigued by the double standards - I know they'll spout security and allocated seating blah blah for a-league matches. I just dont see the difference between a Matilda's match and any other event at the stadium.

I've no doubt they reckon they can get more $$$ selling classified seats - so the next time the Matilda's are in town and the FFA know there's a market for the tickets, I can't see it being all GA again.
    No, you’re absolutely correct in asking why.

McKinna will not give an honest answer to this question. He just won’t, because there is no ‘real’ reason why you wouldn’t try it.

Again, people like him believe in the status quo, people like him resist new ideas, people like him are destined to wallow right in the middle of the ladder where it’s safest.

That’s who we’ve got, that’s why we are who we are.

I liked the GA at the Matilda's it created a buzz to get in and get your seats etc etc

Now that I would be happy with - flat rate, first in best dressed. That is fair. Totally.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I stress this point every time this subject is brought up. Just realise that by putting this question to the club, you are asking them to divert what already little resources (aka $$) they have into paying more security guards on gameday so you don't have to interact with other humans, basically.

Do you want more marquee players, more club initiatives, better kit suppliers, more merchandise options, more fan engagement, more thought put into basically anything from the club, our youth coach to not also double up as CEO, cheaper memberships, paid experienced employees as opposed to a cage full of interns, club people lobbying the FFA for things to improve our club more often and with greater effect, a bigger scouting network, better resources for W-League and Youth team, more input into club facilities, jets shaped hats, a clubhouse (inc pool), etc..... or do you want more security guards so you don't have to deal with people. I just have to stress what you are asking for here.

Because this question is really easy for the club to answer, and is the kind of red herring they would, and do, jump at. If you're still happy with your decision to ask the club this, leave your post as is. If you'd rather any of the above, I highly implore you to edit/remove your question. Note that I know 90% of my own questions are bullshit, and not universally agreed on, either. But 90% of my questions aren't getting a straight answer, or even asked, because they aren't an easy diversion for them. All I'm asking for fans that think similar to JM is to try and prioritize what you want from your club, particularly when you can judge how they'll jump at certain things over others. JM know I'm not trying to attack you personally either - I've been trying to fight this fight for years. This kind of question, to me, is similar to tweetman_03 asking Lawrie to change NTUA "well, we've had a lot of positive feedback to do it .xlm". LM seems too happy almost always to pick the low hanging fruit - let's make him reach, or at least find the money to buy a club ladder or something (it's the only ladder our team will be climbing this year.. hold me back).
    Irrelevant

The club is already employing the Security

Tasking them to enforce this is easily doable and with very little difference in resources

Maybe this is what they should be doing rather than harassing people over water

Last time I was at Stade de Newy was for the NPL GF
    I went and sat in the dry hill late in the day to get the last bit of sunshine before night fall

I was stopped and harassed by the dumb **** seccos because I dared to bring a bottle of water into the no alcohol area

Wasn't even open either

How about redeploying these idiots from harassing the public for irrelevant shit and focus on what they should be doing

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Now that I would be happy with - flat rate, first in best dressed. That is fair. Totally.
    Just make a season pass ‘x’% cheaper to give the ‘loyal’ fans a better deal, then something easy like $20 per game day ticket with $40 family pack.

One of the sneaky underrated things is that Jets stadium is actually a pretty good place to watch sport (apart from late arvo sunstroke). Imagine people coming to the game and having a good time with a good view for a decent price.

It’s almost like you’re encouraging them to make it a regular commitment.

and ditch the ‘members pack’ bullshit if you want to save costs.

If the team is any good fans will buy your shitty scarves and jets shaped hats.

(Unless of course they can’t find them because they aren’t in the regions biggest retailer).