Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I get a really sick feeling we are going to lose him for half a season if not more. We won't be able to replace him either, effectively dropping us to a squad of 22.
    i think the same thing. putting on my MRP hat:

FACT 1 - in 2016 he was suspended for 8 weeks for headbutting a player
    FACT 2 - suspended this season for 2 weeks for "assault of a player" (lovely phrasing by the way from the MRP. not excusing it, but punching somebody is assault, but what wilkshire did in the semi was ok)
    FACT 3 - he kicked a dude in the head with a kick bruce lee would have been proud of

10 weeks minimum i reckon. wouldn't be surprised by 12.

Sort of brings back memories of Bobo's shin rake early in the season. Shouldn't matter head or shin there was definitely intent from Bobo to use his boot to injure an opponent.

If this was Bobo or any other FFA FC player this would be history by now 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    i think the same thing. putting on my MRP hat:

FACT 1 - in 2016 he was suspended for 8 weeks for headbutting a player
    FACT 2 - suspended this season for 2 weeks for "assault of a player" (lovely phrasing by the way from the MRP. not excusing it, but punching somebody is assault, but what wilkshire did in the semi was ok)
    FACT 3 - he kicked a dude in the head with a kick bruce lee would have been proud of

10 weeks minimum i reckon. wouldn't be surprised by 12.
    He didn't curb stomp a bloke lying on the ground like Smeltz did though. Two attempts at splitting someones face in half, zero weeks total suspension.

We just need to get Smeltz' lawyer involved and Roy is golden.

Did Thomas get injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Did Thomas get injured?
    Bit of claret, nothing in it. Certainly didn't go to hospital and nearly die from complications in surgery.

Didn’t think so.
    Interesting though, and I’m not saying that suspensions should be judged on the injury sustained, that he walked away seemingly fine.
    Does he get sent off with such haste if Thomas gets up instead of playing dead?
    Not trying to defend the actions, just having a look at all aspects of the incident.
    The images I’ve seen have Thomas hitting the side of Roys boot. Eg. If Roy fractionally later he gets studs square on the guys face.
    I think there’s been much worse things.
    I think 4-6 weeks would be plenty.
    How many weeks did Mane get? 3?

Rumour ive seen. FFA gonna go easy on Roy to make up for VAR mess

Someone made a comment elsewhere that the next day Thomas was seen with no mummy bandages etc and looked fine/didn't have any signs of injury, so I suspect the mummy stuff was as much on behalf of opportunistic time wasting and for effect as it was to meet the guideline re blood (did the second incident draw blood? or was the bandage more time wasting and for show??), if he didn't even go to hospital to get checked for possible concussion then it's probably a good sign he wasn't anywhere near as battle scarred as the bandages made him out to be, Tards just made the most of the opportunity to wind down the clock (there wasn't that much extra time at the end considering next step for Thomas would have been to embalm him...)
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Didn’t think so.
    Interesting though, and I’m not saying that suspensions should be judged on the injury sustained, that he walked away seemingly fine.
    Does he get sent off with such haste if Thomas gets up instead of playing dead?
    Not trying to defend the actions, just having a look at all aspects of the incident.
    The images I’ve seen have Thomas hitting the side of Roys boot. Eg. If Roy fractionally later he gets studs square on the guys face.
    I think there’s been much worse things.
    I think 4-6 weeks would be plenty.
    How many weeks did Mane get? 3?
    To be fair to whoever the useless ref was that night, he had the red card out before he probably even saw Thomas sprawled out on the deck. That’s what I remember live anyway, I haven’t watched a second of coverage since.

They spruik all this stuff about reckless & dangerous etc, but I’d be interested to know what happens if Roy does the exact same thing but misses Thomas’ head by half a foot. Is it still a red and would morons like Bolton still want him kicked out of the league? My guess is we would never have heard of it again.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Someone made a comment elsewhere that the next day Thomas was seen with no mummy bandages etc and looked fine/didn't have any signs of injury, so I suspect the mummy stuff was as much on behalf of opportunistic time wasting and for effect as it was to meet the guideline re blood (did the second incident draw blood? or was the bandage more time wasting and for show??), if he didn't even go to hospital to get checked for possible concussion then it's probably a good sign he wasn't anywhere near as battle scarred as the bandages made him out to be, Tards just made the most of the opportunity to wind down the clock (there wasn't that much extra time at the end considering next step for Thomas would have been to embalm him...)
    Pretty sure they didn't even play the full 5 allocated minutes of stoppage time. And there was more delays after the 5 minutes was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    It was 100% time wasting antics.
    We would do the same so not complaining, but that was certainly the case.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Rumour ive seen. FFA gonna go easy on Roy to make up for VAR mess
    two comments.

first, this would be the stupidest act by FFA since the Cahilltex deal. what Roy did deserves a sideline stint of several weeks. VAR has nothing at all to do with this incident. don't link the two.

second, as it is the FFA, i fully expect this to be true.

I'm still angry at Roy - a feeling I've had since the incident.

People will argue with me, but as soon as I saw what happened (even from the other end) I immediately knew who it was that put in the challenge and that it was going to be a red.

I feel angry because I think he was short sighted to put that challenge in which has the potential to affect our recruitment and direction for next season. Instead of having Roy available, he's going to be rubbed out. We could instead have looked to recruit a stronger winger. Instead I think we will now have to look at a starting striker and a back-up winger.

It was dumb, reckless, dumb, dangerous and dumb.

I can't sympathise with him and am just angry. His behaviour almost cost us once Nabbout left because we ****ing needed him with Dimi away, Vargas and Pato injured at the time.

I don't think we can count on him at all.
    Whilst not condoning the challenge at all as it was horrific. I really think it needs to be taken into account that ODonovan had just fractured his eye socket and would have definitely been concussed. The concussion would have had a major effect on his decision making ability not to mention the affect the eye socket injury would have had to his sight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Whilst not condoning the challenge at all as it was horrific. I really think it needs to be taken into account that ODonovan had just fractured his eye socket and would have definitely been concussed. The concussion would have had a major effect on his decision making ability not to mention the affect the eye socket injury would have had to his sight.
    I don't think I've ever had a concussion, so I can't relate to the feeling and the affect it would have on my thought and decision-making process. I imagine it would have an impact but I can't talk about what consideration is needing to be taken into account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

But if pulls out the "I'm concussed" defence then that throws the team docs and management under the bus for letting him play on.

They'll prob then have to answer to charges (because FFA).

I don't think I've ever had a concussion, so I can't relate to the feeling and the affect it would have on my thought and decision-making process. I imagine it would have an impact but I can't talk about what consideration is needing to be taken into account.
    I had a decent concussion last season and (even though it was quite funny to hear me recite my name, address and phone number like I was Dory from finding nemo) I can vouch for the fact that even though you might appear to be ok you are definitely not in full control of where your head is going. I made phone calls and everything without any memory of them. I don't think I fly-kicked anyone in the face during my little holiday from my own devices but can easily see how, if he was concussed, Roy could make such a bad judgement call.

I actually think the club should be in trouble for letting him play on. If that's what it takes to stop a serious injury later down the line then so be it.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I had a decent concussion last season and (even though it was quite funny to hear me recite my name, address and phone number like I was Dory from finding nemo) I can vouch for the fact that even though you might appear to be ok you are definitely not in full control of where your head is going. I made phone calls and everything without any memory of them. I don't think I fly-kicked anyone in the face during my little holiday from my own devices but can easily see how, if he was concussed, Roy could make such a bad judgement call.

I actually think the club should be in trouble for letting him play on. If that's what it takes to stop a serious injury later down the line then so be it.
    It's conjecture and a defence strategy to say that he was concussed though. There isn't any actual evidence that he was is there?
    I hope I never get concussed cause my wife probably doesnt want to hear what goes on in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    But if pulls out the "I'm concussed" defence then that throws the team docs and management under the bus for letting him play on.

They'll prob then have to answer to charges (because FFA).
    If the FFA doesn’t have any protocols in place, is there anything they can do against the club? Or would it more internal, ie Merrick/Lee sacking the team doc or whoever would have assessed him on field?

I’m surprised they haven’t got the HIA thing or whatever it is NRL has now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    If the FFA doesn’t have any protocols in place, is there anything they can do against the club? Or would it more internal, ie Merrick/Lee sacking the team doc or whoever would have assessed him on field?

I’m surprised they haven’t got the HIA thing or whatever it is NRL has now.
    FFS

Two different sports

Head knocks are quite common in Drugby League not any where near as common in Football

Reality is 1 day Roy will been hooked after the head knock for safety reasons

But we dont live in that nanny state now and nor should we

Roy would have been asked if he was right to play
    He said yes and they let him go

As they should have

The bloke done the wrong thing and is using the concussion line as an excuse