Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 17/18 HAL Round 07 | Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets | Sat 18th Nov 2017 7:50pm

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    How horrible was the crowd? i know the weather turned awful but even before the rain came down, it was down right embarrassing!
    I reckon people predicted the downpour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I just watched the Post game presser with Graham Arnold. Still waiting for a journalist to ask him why does his brand of football win trophies but not encourage fans to bother showing up to watch games. I mean the mariners couldn't get a decent crowd when he was there and Sydney FC have absolutely no support at all considering the size of the town.

The answer is that his teams are boring as bat shit to watch - and tonight was no exception.
    While I generally agree with you on his brand of football, I thought they were decent to watch first half. Having said that, most teams have looked good against us in the first half this season. Why does it take a revving up from Ernie at half time every week for the Jets to remember they are actually decent this year?

Lack of depth up front exposed badly with Roy, Brown and Shabow out. If you include Vargas as well though, I guess 4 attacking players out would hurt most teams.

After the first half we probably shouldn't have been still in it, but we were. First goal, Bobo got two lucky deflections running through about 4 defenders. Second goal comical/unlucky GK error. Several good chances for us untaken. Despite terrible first half performance and a scraped together attacking unit, we still could have won the game.

Anyone else think bobo was offside in the lead up to the first goal, a few passes before the final ball across? No replay of it and obviously no var. I reckon the linesmen missed a few in that first half.

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I am now convinced, even though we lost, we are certain for the top 6. We are comprehensively better than more than 4 teams.
    i love we jets fans. what other team would be sitting second after 7 games, with the most goals scored (16 to the next closet of 11), third lowest goals conceded, the biggest positive goal difference, the highest goal scorer and double the number of points of the 7th placed team, and still have the fans only expressing confidence of being top 6?

that's not directed at LRO, just a general observation of how conditioned we are to failure!

Yeah but we’ve only played one ‘top’ team and we lost.

Adelaide should have beaten us.

VAR saved our ass v Roar.

I’m almost confident to say we may just slightly be a shade less terrible than 4 other teams so we can make the finals.

But I don’t see how much more confident blokes on here should be.

I have a theory that Merrick has chosen to rest O'Donovan (in particular) because of the City result on Friday night. We couldn't drop lower than 2nd and if we lost Sydney would be 2 points ahead. They were probably carrying a knock so instead of 2 big games in 5 days they let them recover over a period of almost 2 weeks.

He's looking across the season, instead of one game.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I haven't been to a Sydney derby. But a friend who often does told me that there is a remarkable change in hair and skin colour as one pans from viewing the Cove and the Sydney fans across to the Wanderers fans, RBB etc. Is this generally true?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I have a theory that Merrick has chosen to rest O'Donovan (in particular) because of the City result on Friday night. We couldn't drop lower than 2nd and if we lost Sydney would be 2 points ahead. They were probably carrying a knock so instead of 2 big games in 5 days they let them recover over a period of almost 2 weeks.

It's not a bad idea. Regardless of what happened against Sydney, this next game is a must-win, otherwise it's going to be a huge dent to the confidence. Had we beat Sydney, then lost to Victory, we undo all the good work. Lose to Sydney, then lose to Victory, we're suddenly in a slump. Anything gained away to Sydney would have been a bonus, but the Victory match is the must-win IMO. And there's no excuse. Roy should be fit and firing, Victory have had a shorter turn around, plus coming from the other side of the country. Milligan especially looked absolutely knackered at the end - no to mention they've struggled big time this year. Shut down Berisha & George and life will become a lot easier.

I understand what you're saying, but given the target (publicly) for Merrick was Top 6, while the players (publicly) said they could reach Top 3, I don't see it necessarily as a must win at this stage. The following week against City would have more riding on it for me.

In saying that, it's very important to give a resposne and, if what I proposed was the case, that a win will prove the gamble effective.

And you're right on Victory's travel. It's horrendous. They'd probably be boarding a flight about now and won't arrive in Newcastle until about 9pm tonight. After playing us away they then head to Wellington. They've travelled half the bloody globe.

Every game is a must win. Anything less is mediocrity and needs to be stamped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Every game is a must win. Anything less is mediocrity and needs to be stamped out.
    Every game we should approach with the ambition to win and prepare int he best way to win. Absolutely.

However saying the Victory game is a must-win because we have lost one match is a bit premature in my opinion.

Look back at the 07/08 season and we stuttered at the beginning, struggled in the middle but found form and momentum at the end of the season which carried into the finals series. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Every game we should approach with the ambition to win and prepare int he best way to win. Absolutely.

However saying the Victory game is a must-win because we have lost one match is a bit premature in my opinion.

Look back at the 07/08 season and we stuttered at the beginning, struggled in the middle but found form and momentum at the end of the season which carried into the finals series. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.
    I guess I’m just expecting a slump at some point and we’ve recently not had a team capable of pulling themselves out of a hole so I’d rather us try and ride the momentum as long as possible as I think other sides will catch up. In saying that, I’m not seeing any other teams out there we should fear. Very mediocre competition this year which suits us!

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    . In saying that, I’m not seeing any other teams out there we should fear. Very mediocre competition this year which suits us!
    I really agree with this. It's crazy how we've created such a gap at this early stage of the year. Normally it's us who are watching other teams ride off into the distance. It's terrific.

Win all your home games and nick points away from home, Thats how you win a title - Jose Mourinho
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    Brilliant old school tactic in the end throwing the tall timber up front in the end. Almost sniffed out a chance for us in the end.

I thought boogard had a good game.

Kanta has been a rock. Starting to show on that potential he had all those years ago.

Ugarkovic is getting better with each game.

Draw would have been a just result in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I guess I’m just expecting a slump at some point and we’ve recently not had a team capable of pulling themselves out of a hole so I’d rather us try and ride the momentum as long as possible as I think other sides will catch up. In saying that, I’m not seeing any other teams out there we should fear. Very mediocre competition this year which suits us!
    What do you mean it mediocre??

Just because we are competitive for a change doesn't mean this comp is mediocre this year

Last I looked the Melbourne and Sydney sides have their exorbitant salary cap enhanced squads etc

Yet we sticking it to them

Maybe we are doing something right and that why we up the ladder and in games and not at the bottom where we usually ???

Glass half full approach required

I was at training on Friday morning until about 10.30 and both Roy and Brown were still training when I left. I'd say Ernie made the call after City lost to Roar.

Perhaps Jets fans are even whiter than Sydney?

Which is the A-League's most vanilla club?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I haven't been to a Sydney derby. But a friend who often does told me that there is a remarkable change in hair and skin colour as one pans from viewing the Cove and the Sydney fans across to the Wanderers fans, RBB etc. Is this generally true?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What do you mean it mediocre??

Just because we are competitive for a change doesn't mean this comp is mediocre this year

Last I looked the Melbourne and Sydney sides have their exorbitant salary cap enhanced squads etc

Yet we sticking it to them

Maybe we are doing something right and that why we up the ladder and in games and not at the bottom where we usually ???

Glass half full approach required
    We have a better squad than last year, we’re playing better than last year. And most of our opponents this year are weaker. Brisbane last year had players like McLaren, Borello, Broich, Devere, all replaced nobodies bar that French guy that looks alright. City had Fornaroli & players like Cahill, Brattan, Colazo, that dude with the terrible hair and they were unstoppable for a long time. Perth haven’t had Castro & Taggart fit for most games & lost Williams & Risdon. Now they’re relying on players like Nichols and Keogh looks nothing like the player he did before. The Adelaide that won the title two seasons ago is just a shadow of itself, plus they’ve got a horrid injury list at the moment.

I’m not being negative, I think it’s a case of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Perhaps Jets fans are even whiter than Sydney?

Which is the A-League's most vanilla club?
    You wot, mate?

Can’t tell if you’re taking the pi$$, but from where I’m sitting, that sails fairly close to profiling