Page 138 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I beg to differ. That title belongs to the Jets.
    There is hope. The Rocket Man has jetted into town. He is sure to leave a mark for the rest of our season.

FA handing down their decision about Melbourne derby now.

$550K financial penalty - $450K fines and damages, $100K lost revenue.
    No seating behind goals for rest of home season
    No allocated seating for away games
    Suspended 10 point deduction for this season and next three seasons
    Actual match to be replayed from the 22nd minute with score 1-0 to City

Went through two lettuce leaves with those punishments.

so the $550K is only something like - $150K actual fine payable now, $100K suspended fine, $100K in damages to the stadium/infrastructure, $50K paid to APL for the replay of the match and $100K loss of future income due to the loss of revenue from tickets etc.

and points weren't deducted to protect the 'integrity' of the competition. far out.

A slap on the wrist.
    Compare that to the 9-game suspension of a certain Irish player...
    Last edited by mic22; 10-01-2023 at 02:30 PM.

In amongst all this doom and gloom how about we celebrate the birthday of former Newcastle Jets coach Terry Venables who turned 80 the other day.

Happy birthday boss.

Former Newcastle Jets youth-team coach Daniel McBreen hits back at comments from Arthur Papas nh
    Anyone got the Herald story on this?

Herald story above
    Former Newcastle Jets youth-team coach Daniel McBreen hits back at comments from Arthur Papas
    By Robert Dillon
    Updated January 13 2023 - 8:42pm, first published 7:30pm

DANIEL McBreen has responded to claims by Newcastle Jets coach Arthur Papas that the club's junior development was "neglected" on his watch.

After Newcastle's 2-0 loss to Macarthur Bulls last weekend, Papas was asked about the prospect of promoting academy or NPL players to bolster his struggling team.

He replied by suggesting that was not realistic because junior pathways in the region had been "neglected" for a number of years.

Papas said when he arrived at the Jets, "the youth team was 21, 22 years old" and he was informed that the outlook for most of those players, in terms of progressing to the A-League, was "quite bleak".

"People that have been in places for a long time, I think there are questions that need to be asked [of them], as well, instead of just sitting on the side commenting about why certain players aren't given a chance," Papas said.

"Because I tell you what, if the quality is there, they'll always be given a chance."

McBreen, a passionate Novocastrian who played for 15 years professionally in Australia and abroad, spent several years as the Jets' youth-team and academy coach but was not retained when his contract expired last year.

The former striker, who now works as a television commentator, said he was "taken aback" when he learned of Papas' remarks.

He felt they were largely directed at him and fellow former Jets employees Craig Deans and Kew Jaliens.

"I was made aware of the comments by Arthur Papas after the game," McBreen said. "I don't want to get in a slanging match with anyone.

"But the facts of the matter are that the average age of the youth team was 18, and I have the data to show that.

"It's also widely known that the academy has been under-resourced for years, but many passionate, qualified locals have worked hard to give kids the best platform, in difficult circumstances."

As for the suggestion that there was little talent emerging from Newcastle's academy, McBreen pointed to teenage striker Archie Goodwin and midfielder Lucas Mauragis, who has been loaned out to Wellington Phoenix this season.

"We have one of the most highly rated youngsters in his age group in Archie Goodwin, and he has hardly been sighted, despite showing his capabilities last season," McBreen said.

"You can add Lucas Mauragis, who is playing regularly at Wellington. There are two youth/academy products who Novocastrians would love to see playing in a Jets jersey."

McBreen said "the smell of an oily rag" approach to funding the Jets' academy was in stark contrast to the cost of the first-team roster and support staff assembled during Papas' tenure, along with upgrading the training base from Newcastle University to Maitland's athletics centre.

"I think it's a good thing that the academy has now been set up as a foundation, which means that money being given to the academy will now remain in the academy, which has not necessarily been the case in the past," he said.

Meanwhile, after seven losses in their past nine games, the Jets are under pressure to get their season back on track when they tackle defending champions Western United in Ballarat on Sunday.

Newcastle are three points adrift of the top six and can scarcely afford to fall any further off the pace.

Rookie midfielder Callum Timmins, who made his starting debut in last week's defeat, said morale was still high in the squad, despite their recent run of outs.

"The confidence is still right up there," he said. "The teams playing against us, they'll still be scared and worried about our performances. I think they have been good ... as soon as we start adding goals to that, I think we'll be unstoppable.

"The quality of the group that we've got, the confidence won't drop."

Jets veteran Jason Hoffman is expecting a warm welcome from former teammate Nikolai Topor-Stanley, who has not played since he was sent off against Melbourne Victory on Boxing Day and subsequently suspended for a game.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Thanks Turbo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Herald story above
    The youth development has been a failure for years but this is irrelevant

Why can't Archie Goodwin get a start in this club by now??

He is 18 FFS and should be in the side every week

Pappas can start by looking firmly at his coaching department first and foremost for their inability to develop this kid under their watch

Bloke should have stuck to what he does best, Put training cones out for proper coaches.

Was a piss poor answer to a question at a presser from a so called coach who is out of his depth. The longer that presser went on the greater of a train wreck it became for AP.

You would hope in his contract there were performance clauses for early termination, We can only hope he is close to having them triggered.
    Last edited by 380; 14-01-2023 at 12:38 AM.

Bloke seems to be feeling the pressure a bit.

The league is still very close imo. We are a loss or 2 away from dwelling at the bottom, or a win or 2 away from cementing ourselves in the 6.

Pappas’ comments aren’t exactly wrong. The youth side of things and development through isn’t ideal. There’s flaws. But he’s basically said the kids involved have no hope. When kids from Newcastle/Hunter are preferring to drive down to gypos and to play youth, there’s a problem with the youth setup.
    Whether it be the competition they are in, if they think they have better development playing local NPL, who knows. But Jets youth should be seen as the pinnacle of youth football in the region. Every kid should want to play for them. At the moment that’s not the case.

And sorry to Pappas, but some of that comes down to the lack of direction of the first team. Who is aspiring to play for wooden spoon contending team whose future is constantly up in the air.
    There’s a myriad of issues at play.
    To put some blame onto some pretty loyal local coaches (while not perfect) is pretty poor imo and not quite the way to go about winning over some critics.

I'm yet to see what's wrong with his statement. He was asked why he wasn't turning to Youth since the team was struggling and he both agreed that the first team players aren't good enough (otherwise he would have said he didn't need to look at youth players) and admitted the club's youth team has been struggling for a few years (which of course it has since we haven't had an owner to properly fund us for years now.)

McBreen should have used it as opportunity to both admit that the youth team is being massively under funded while also talking up the couple of players that actually have come though in recent years. Would have been more useful for everyone than getting offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

McBreen did take an opportunity to put on record just how underfunded the youth set up was and funding going in the wrong direction, It could also be suggested Papas could have also gone down the more diplomatic route at the presser as opposed to try and make it about those in charge of the actual hands on coaching at that point in time.

Just like the Knights coach everytime AP goes off script its just plain bizarre, Maybe needs to regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'm yet to see what's wrong with his statement. He was asked why he wasn't turning to Youth since the team was struggling and he both agreed that the first team players aren't good enough (otherwise he would have said he didn't need to look at youth players) and admitted the club's youth team has been struggling for a few years (which of course it has since we haven't had an owner to properly fund us for years now.)

McBreen should have used it as opportunity to both admit that the youth team is being massively under funded while also talking up the couple of players that actually have come though in recent years. Would have been more useful for everyone than getting offended.
    Funding has nothing to do with talent
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Why can't Archie Goodwin get a start in this club by now??
    I asked Papas this directly over a drink a while back.

The concern is Archie has the potential to be Kanta 2.0 and will break if not careful. Isn't handling it well either.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Funding has nothing to do with talent
    All the talent is heading down the F3 to better funded youth systems. So yes, it would seem that funding does have an affect on talent.

Also, considering the club is ownerless and there's been very little interest from potential owners that most people know about, it's not exactly surprising that kids/parents would rather choose another club that they know will be here in a couple of years time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Wouldn't parents/kids also choose other programs given the extreme lack of pathways from our own youth program to the 1st team? Talent goes both ways & I don't have much faith that Newcastle football has had the appropriate talent to identify gifted players nor provide a relevant pathway in the last 2-3 decades.

Said it before say it again and and at the risk of being flamed by those parents who have paid through the nose on the back of false promises.

Too many kids get picked for these so called pathways/academies based on there families financial circumstances and as theses kids get older the reality sets in. I have seen many kids play football twice as good as some of these " cash cow kids " and not get the opportunities simply because of the prohibitive costs involved.

I can recall about ten years ago a kid not being selected for a rep team when he should have. My young bloke was one of the first picked but this other kid ran rings around my young bloke and every other one there on selection day. I guess the fact this kid was trialing in a t shirt that looked 3 sizes too big for him a pair of rugby league shorts socks up to his thighs and i kid you not a pair of what looked like 2nd generation hand me down Dunlop gold cup boots for all you old buggers like me out there. The kid was indigenous, a fact am sure was not missed either.Since that day and IMO this is one of the primary reasons we don't produce the way we should be.

I could not believe for the life of me this kid missed out and even now to this day it still makes me salty. Its no wonder we find this region in the state it is when selection criteria was and perhaps still is not entirely about what it should be.
    Last edited by 380; 14-01-2023 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

I Agree, I think the Newcastle Herald are a little short of stories at the moment and have blown this out of proportion. Is Papas supposed to lie?

Youth team hasn't supplied anywhere near enough players ever.

I did watch last seasons NSW NPL 3 Grand Final online and I did see some potential First team players. Ben Van Dorssen and Angus Muddle do look class players who hopefully might get a chance to get a full time contract next A League season. But the reality is they are playing in the 3rd tier of NSW Football next season, Hardly the type of preparation for stepping up against A League opposition.