Page 120 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Happy New Year. Is there no news? No football? Nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Happy New Year. Is there no news? No football? Nothing?
    Surely they can start rescheduling some of the COVID postponed games by now?

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...game-postponed

I assume this means the women's match 7 Jan they were only just advertising isn't on? I was half tempted seeing as there isn't any men's games on, trust a covid outbreak with the women to trash that plan...

JANUARY 5 2022 - 6:30AM
    Soccer: Coach confident about next round despite a dozen COVID cases in Newcastle Jets squad forcing postponement of A-League Women's match
    Josh Callinan
    Local Sport

NEWCASTLE Jets coach Ash Wilson remains confident her squad will recover in time for next round despite a dozen players testing positive for COVID-19 and a second straight A-League Women's fixture being postponed.

The fourth-placed Jets will no longer host Melbourne Victory at Newcastle's No.2 Sportsground on Friday following the club's worst coronavirus outbreak to date.

It comes after Newcastle missed a match against a COVID-impacted City side in the Victorian capital last weekend.

Wilson believes the 12 individuals, which leaves more than half the Jets playing group currently in isolation, should be fit to meet Perth Glory at home on January 16.

She expects to see "most of them out by Friday".

"We've sent them gym and aerobic type programs to try and make sure they are still doing things so when they come out their bodies haven't lost certain elements of conditioning and they're able to adapt a bit better to the increase in training load when they get back," Wilson told the Newcastle Herald on Tuesday.

"The fact that most of them will be out by Friday and our game against Perth isn't until the following Sunday, that'll give us at least five or six sessions with them leading into that game to make sure we're continuing to load them in an appropriate way where we'll have people available."

Wilson has been in contact with the sidelined players, who are experiencing a range of symptoms.

"I touched base with them all yesterday. They're in good spirits. Obviously some of them are still experiencing some symptoms which is understandable because everyone is going to react different to it," she said.

"They're positive, taking each day as it comes and feeling better than when it first started. We're continuing to monitor them daily."

Kirsty Fenton, who was struck down with COVID before Christmas, returned in the Jets' most recent outing on December 27.

Outstanding matches have yet to be rescheduled.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...n-from-injury/

Will we ever see Kanta play again?

JANUARY 4 2022 - 7:30AM
    Newcastle Jets veteran Ben Kantarovski still battling to return from injury
    ROBERT DILLON

ALMOST 18 months after he last played a game, there is still no update on when luckless Newcastle Jets midfielder Ben Kantarovski will be available for selection.

Kantarovski, 29, has not played since a five-minute stint off the bench in Newcastle's 3-0 victory against Wellington Phoenix on August 13, 2020, in the last round of their 2020-21 campaign.

The former Young Socceroos skipper underwent complex surgery in April last year to repair a problematic nerve in his lower back and sat out an entire season.

Despite extensive rehabilitation and physiotherapy, he has missed the first five rounds of 2021-22 and it is unclear when, or if, he will be able to resume.

It is understood he has been unable to join his teammates in full training.

Jets coach Arthur Papas has taken a patient and cautious approach with the club's most-capped player and remains hopeful that he can make a comeback later this season.

"Ben has been working hard to return to full fitness, but unfortunately he has suffered a couple of setbacks in his rehab," Papas told the Newcastle Herald.

"However we are still committed to supporting him and hopefully he can rejoin training with the first team in the near future."

Kantarovski, who debuted in the A-League as a 16-year-old and has represented his home-town club in a record 196 games, is off contract at the end of this season.

The playmaker told the Newcastle Herald last year he was hoping to avoid surgery, which he described as "a very last resort".

"That's quite a drastic and risky surgery, so we want to stay away from that avenue, but if it does come down to it, we may have to look at that," he said in March.

A month later, he underwent surgery but it has not provided a quick fix.

Injuries have been a constant source of frustration throughout Kantarovski's career.

Regarded as one of Australia's brightest young prospects when he debuted in the A-League in 2008, he needed a full reconstruction of his right knee in 2010, and had further surgeries on the same knee in 2012, 2014 and 2016.

He told the Herald last March that "the love of football" kept him going.

"There's nothing better than coming day in, day out to play the best sport in the world ... I can't wait to be back out there." he said.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

https://keepup.com.au/news/isuzu-ute...latest-updates

Our game is still on at this point. Every other game off but they've switched one around to give city v wanderers a match on Sunday arvo.

It's getting to the point where they need to start re-arranging fixtures between teams who are "fit" to keep the comp ticking along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2022-...buse/100746666

No doubt only a few dickheads but not a good incident.

https://keepup.com.au/news/three-isu...d-due-to-covid

3 games postponed already. Our match against mariners still going ahead at this stage.

I wonder, at what point do the APL start reorganising postponed fixtures? The backlog is becoming concerning and there has been zero communication about this.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I wonder, at what point do the APL start reorganising postponed fixtures? The backlog is becoming concerning and there has been zero communication about this.
    Are the matches next Wednesday catch-ups or were they originally scheduled for then?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Are the matches next Wednesday catch-ups or were they originally scheduled for then?
    The match on Wednesday was always planned

Jets v Western United this Wednesday is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Jets v Western United this Wednesday is off.
    Bummer... was going to be my first game of the season, damn it.

I’d be interested to know the general consensus around the handling of this season.

It’s unprecedented in respect to the COVID situation. This type of outbreak was always going to happen. 90% vax rate and opening of everything and resumption of “normal” life was fair. The Omicron variant being very contagious and people mixing a lot more than any other variant leads to more infections and as such disruptions due to exposure.

For what it’s worth, I think we would see the same numbers in NRL and AFL if their seasons coincided with this perfect storm scenario. But I’m curious what they would do different if anything. They have a knack of skirting rules or making their own.

Is it fair to bring back bubbles for players? Is this just delaying the inevitable exposure. I’m surprised this wasn’t looked at as a plan C. Maybe too late. But also divides opinion whether the players should be in bubbles when the rest of australia is not, the fans going to watch are not etc, it’s a big sacrifice. But also, they are being paid to make these sacrifices. If you don’t like it, move on. 50/50 on that.

Travel is outside the leagues control, maybe this gets easier as other states catch up to the 90% vax rate. But maybe this is where location bubbles or creative scheduling comes into play. Again, I guess the players have to be on board with it.

I also think, for many reasons, the NRL would want every game to go ahead. Where possible. They wouldn’t care if a team had 5 players out. They do it through origin period. Why not here. I’d have liked to see a similar approach. Player welfare is obviously the important issue. Assuming players test negative prior to training and on game day, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be pushing for every game to be played. Play 5-6 youth players. It’s only for what 3 weeks max. (Given the starting 11 can only get it once…). Imo it’s been great watching the new young Australian talent scoring goals and making a name for themselves. What do we have to lose.

The “lack of big names/quality” for a couple of weeks leads to unpredictable games, unexpected results and maybe unearth a talent or two. Imo, the damage from putting out a “inferior” product would be far less than no product for multiple weeks.

Personally, I don’t even know when the next a league game is on. I’ve lost interest. I’ll keep an eye on the Jets games and when we play, maybe I’ll watch a few other games that round. But atm, I have very little interest. There was lack of continuity and it doesn’t even feel like there are games being played.

I’m curious is this is just a localised feeling due to our games being cancelled. Whereas like Adelaide or victory etc who are playing regularly, maybe their support/market is unaffected.

I haven't watched a game since they started getting cancelled. I couldn't tell you who is top, bottom, played or not. I can't track it and I am also losing interest.

I think the difference between the A-League and the NRL/AFL is simply money.

They have the cash and political connections to create bubbles and centralised hosting of events.

The NRL, like the A-League, have squad limits and salary caps - but they also have a reserve grade. The A-League is playing out of sync with the NPL and the Youth League isn't playing. That limits the fitness of the talent pool below.

I mentioned the other week that I was wondering when these games were going to be played. There hasn't been a plan communicated - doesn't mean that there isn't one, but it would promote confidence if the APL gave fans some idea what was going on. Al we hear from the clubs is that "they're working with the APL to reorganise the fixtures". If we don't do it soon, we will start clashing with the NRL.

What all this means for us, is our games will be condensed and the squad will be tested. Could be good, could be to our detriment.

Either way, this situation is frustrating. Hopefully by early Feb we will be back into it.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/01/1...all-australia/

Interesting development. Thoughts?

Been a while since I've paid a rego fee but I've no doubt they are outrageously high. Doubt the insurance has got any better.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/01/1...all-australia/

Interesting development. Thoughts?

Been a while since I've paid a rego fee but I've no doubt they are outrageously high. Doubt the insurance has got any better.
    This is closer to happening with Newcastle/Hunter/Macquarie than most people realise.

CC Association already used their own rego system last year. The zones here have looked at it and done sums.

NNSW review into football government looks to just be speeding the process up.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    This is closer to happening with Newcastle/Hunter/Macquarie than most people realise.

CC Association already used their own rego system last year. The zones here have looked at it and done sums.

NNSW review into football government looks to just be speeding the process up.
    The NNSW review is simply an exercise in them giving themselves a huge pat on the back to pull the wool over the eyes of some people. Northern would be stuffed if they lost their cash cow (I.e. community regos)

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    so with Central Coast outside of the football world, does this mean the Mariners are to be kicked out of the A-league and FFA Cup?