Page 110 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Brebner sacked.

And to think we lost to them. City will tear us to shreds
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Brebner sacked.

And to think we lost to them. City will tear us to shreds
    why am i not surprised. the problems at victory are clearly all the fault of the coach.

how would you feel - club champion who didn't really want the job and forced to carry the can for every crap decision by those above made in the last 4 years.

shit, sounds a bit like deans actually (not sure about the club champion though).

Popovic signs for victory commencing next season

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/vic...s-tony-popovic

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Popovic signs for victory commencing next season

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/vic...s-tony-popovic
    Assume his sons will sign soon

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/...-traore-update

How have they still not made a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    How have they still not made a decision?
    It's highly complex, as can be seen by the range of disciplinary actions in the past, from Joel Griffiths to Danny Vukovic.

Archie Thompson is a pleb. Fox need to cut him. Not only is he Victory biased, but he's also clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Super Dynamos View Post
    Archie Thompson is a pleb. Fox need to cut him. Not only is he Victory biased, but he's also clueless.
    He's also Western United bias
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    He's also Western United bias
    Well you might as well throw in Harper, Slater, Bosnich and Speed in with their Smurf FC scarves on.

Quote Originally Posted by mge61 View Post
    Well you might as well throw in Harper, Slater, Bosnich and Speed in with their Smurf FC scarves on.
    Harper likes the Jets, Problem is were always shit so fans think there hate us
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Karl Dodd joining the club as assistant coach, also hired some video analysis bloke.

https://www.newcastlejetsfc.com.au/n...2NV8WDt2IU47sQ

Just what we need, another assistant coach.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    We want players, new blood, not another coach, Macca is doing that.

Pretty sure we didn't have one

Harper article for anyone who can't access it https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...newcastle-jets

MAY 2 2021 - 7:26PM
    Foxtel commentator Andy Harper fires a rocket at Newcastle Jets
    ROBERT DILLON
    Newcastle Jets
    RESPECTED Foxtel commentator Andy Harper has called for an inquiry into the Newcastle Jets' slide into the A-League cellar, declaring: "The decay and the decline [this season] has been nothing short of alarming."

In a forthright interview on ABC radio's "Talking Sport" on Saturday, the former Newcastle Breakers striker argued that the Jets' roster was not the worst in the A-League, and that they had similar footballing resources to rival clubs.

Newcastle, who parted company with former owner Martin Lee and coach Carl Robinson in the pre-season, are winless in their past 11 games and sit last on the ladder, two points behind Melbourne Victory, who have a game in hand.

Harper described Victory as an "ordinary team" who were always likely to struggle this season.

"I don't put Newcastle Jets in that category," he told ABC.

"The difference between Victory and the Jets is that whilst Victory were always heading for this sort of trouble this season, in my opinion, the Jets were promising plenty ... but the decay and the decline since has been nothing short of alarming."

Harper pointed to the end of last season, when the Jets finished with seven wins and three draws in their last 11 games to miss out on the finals by three points.

"Had they had one or probably two more wins and made the finals, I am on the public record as saying I believe the Newcastle Jets would have made the grand final, and would have had a good chance of winning it," Harper said.

He added the "same group of players were promising plenty" and playing a "compelling, competitive, attractive brand of football", both under Robinson and during the interim phase before Craig Deans was confirmed as the Welshman's full-time replacement.

"And then something has happened with the management of these players, to the point where they are now bottom of the table, and it should be the source of an inquiry," he said.

Harper added: "The leak of performance, the leak in confidence, the leak of output has become a flood ... I just watch this team and it's lifeless."

He said "on one level" he admired the faith Deans had shown in his players.

"But the acceptance of mediocrity, the lack of accountability - for the players, there is no responsibility on them," he said. "The same errors are going unpunished. The same lack of form is accepted. Hence why they're at the bottom of the table ...

"This team is too important for the league, it's too important for the fans, and it's too important for me, for this to continue. Seismic change has to take place."

Harper also accused the Jets of "closing the door on local juniors", comparing them unfavourably to Adelaide's development system, which he said had produced 39 players across the A-League this season, as well as four based overseas.

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske said Harper was entitled to his opinion and welcomed his passion for the club.

"There's no question that there was a disruption before the season started with the change of ownership," Mattiske said.

"We've had to re-launch the club and start from scratch.

"The reality is that the squad we have now is the one that we were left with. We've been working hard on improving the resources, finishing this season competitively and building a much stronger squad for next season."

Mattiske saw no value in debating Harper's claims point by point.

But in fairness to the Jets, at the end of last season they lost former Socceroos Dimi Petratos and Bernie Ibini, ex-Premier League stars Wes Hoolahan and Joe Ledley, veteran goalkeeper Glen Moss, Nick Fitzgerald, a veteran of 189 A-League games, and Panamanian international Abdiel Arroyo.

Injuries have also sidelined senior players Nigel Boogaard, Ben Kantarovski, Jason Hoffman and Johnny Koutroumbia for long stretches this season.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Harper article for anyone who can't access it https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...newcastle-jets
    What the heck is he smoking? Jets squad better than victory squad? Ridiculous.

I don’t agree with some points he made, especially re the squad. They’ve got star world Cup winger kruse. But watching these games, the commentators are in spruiking mode where they talk up anything, the only player I’ve heard them give a bit of slack to is Millar when was 0 from 10 attempted crosses.

The comment that resonates with me is the one about how “successful” we were at the start of the season. I think everyone agrees that while we were never going to win every week, we were taking it to better teams, and could project a better points rate than 2 from 33.
    When Deans was interim coach and we weren’t doing too badly.

So what changed?
    Was it Deans getting the team to play his way? If so, Deans gone.
    Was it the players still had hope for a new coach and have been left with Deans who they all had known for years and they dont have that desire to play for him? If so, deans and players out.
    Was it just that other teams got better as the season progresses?
    Is it off field turmoil that leaves half the players wanting out of the club regardless and cbf playing?

Harper is right. Something changed when he was appointed full time. Or at least that’s when our coincidence of poor form kicked in.
    Appointing deans as permanent coach after his early season exploits as interim was a reasonable decision. No use getting in Mourinho to work with this squad. Deans was getting some results. And imo, we were playing better than expected. So I don’t have a problem with that decision.

Now, it’s become clear that he wasn’t able to sustain those performances and seems unable to get these players to show some desire. So I don’t think he should be renewed for another season. Maybe he’s a good coach or a good guy, but I don’t think he’s the person to recruit well, and to coach and improve our players and get them playing better each week.

If we plan to be here next year, we need to announce a coach ASAP and work on recruiting to their desire.

Get rid of Millar and we will win games. He's a defensive liability and no longer offers us anything going forward.

Reports that Tony Sage was denied access to Glory v Fart...so he's attending as a ball boy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aleague/com...onights_match/

Worth a look in case you see him for another comedy gold A-League moment.
    http://www.hesgoal.com/news/79209/Pe...urne_City.html

EDIT: Spotto:! 22:30 seconds in - front and centre of a camera shot, mask NOT over his nose.
    Last edited by Retro Jet; 05-05-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Makes sense - we’ve got a squad full of assistant players.