Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1562

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2018

  1. #1161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    The Herald have now gone to a subscription service. All articles are locked.

    $3.00 a week for those interested.
    I can still access articles

  2. #1162
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    I can still access articles
    You get 5 free articles before it locks you out.

  3. #1163
    Quote Originally Posted by Verified Plastic View Post
    You get 5 free articles before it locks you out.
    Just right click - incognito window and your article count doesn't appear to change.

  4. #1164
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,697
    Is it 5 a day .5 a week 5 a mnth 5 a year or 5 for eternity ???
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  5. #1165
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,073
    James Gardiner says on twitter keep and eye out for a big signing announcement this afternoon. Not sure if Aleague or Wleague
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  6. #1166
    Senior Member evolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    James Gardiner says on twitter keep and eye out for a big signing announcement this afternoon. Not sure if Aleague or Wleague
    Dimi contract extension?

  7. #1167
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Dimi contract extension?
    Hasnt said. Id expect either that or maybe Katie Stegnall back to the Wleague
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��


    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

  8. #1168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,817
    Nah a Boogs extension on top of the extension just to make the good Members day.

  9. #1169
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,732
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Nah a Boogs extension on top of the extension just to make the good Members day.
    Boogaard to sign up Gypo McKinna for another 3 years as CEO.

  10. #1170
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,697
    Maybe Griff is taking the no 9 shirt again??
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  11. #1171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Boogaard to sign up Gypo McKinna for another 3 years as CEO.
    mckinna to repay the favour with a payrise for boogs that takes up 98% of the salary cap.

  12. #1172
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    504
    Dimi signs for 3yrs. Has a release clause.

    Uga and Georgievski should be a priority signings now

  13. #1173
    Senior Member leftrightout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Dimi signs for 3yrs. Has a release clause.
    So unlike this club... what a great signing!
    I think this shows how far we have come under the current management, the fact we now keep players.

    Release clause has to be in there, shouldn't be a any good young Aussie players without one in A-League!

    I think this season we will see some great young guys really perform this season.
    The main three being Dimi, McGree and Mauk in my opinion.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

  14. #1174
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,073
    Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    So unlike this club... what a great signing!
    I think this shows how far we have come under the current management, the fact we now keep players.

    Release clause has to be in there, shouldn't be a any good young Aussie players without one in A-League!

    I think this season we will see some great young guys really perform this season.
    The main three being Dimi, McGree and Mauk in my opinion.
    Dimi isnt a young guy anymore

  15. #1175
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,134
    Poor bloke being considered old at 25.

  16. #1176
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Poor bloke being considered old at 25.
    he's finnish

  17. #1177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post
    he's finnish
    Dimitar Petrakoinnen

  18. #1178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    504
    Gatty's got an article in the Australian about how the US tariff on China could effect Martin Lee's investment in the Jets.

    EXCLUSIVE
    RAY GATT
    SPORTS REPORTER

    The ripple effects of Donald Trump’s aggressive trade war have reached as far as a soccer team in Newcastle, whose *Chinese owner’s financial commitment has been put in doubt by a 25 per cent US tariff.

    Multi-billionaire Martin Lee has considered a big chop to the budget of his Newcastle Jets after watching his LED lighting fortune cut in half in only five months.

    His industry was slapped with the tariff in an effort to lessen the trade imbalance between the US and China.

    Mr Lee bought the Jets from Football Federation Australia for $5 million in 2016, after the governing body had taken the *licence from the previous owner, fallen coal baron Nathan Tinkler. Mr Lee was considered a billionaire at the time, but the plunging share price of his Ledman Opto-electronics Group clearly has him worried about assets such as the Jets, which hosted and lost last season’s A-League grand final to Melbourne Victory.

    The Australian can reveal that Mr Lee approached Jets management several months ago and floated the idea of cutting as much as $600,000 from the players’ wages bill.

    While sources say he eventually pulled back, given the enormous effect it would have on the club’s chances of success this season, it is clear he remains nervous about the situation with the US and the impact it could have on his business interests here and at home.

    Mr Lee is chairman of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange-listed Ledman, which makes LED signage. Some of the signage has been used at A-League matches via a deal with outdoor media company QMS. Ledman’s share price has more than halved from more than 11 Chinese renminbi a share at the end of May — just weeks after the Jets lost the A-League grand final — to be trading now at about 5.20 renminbi a share.

    The US President has led the effort to impose a series of tariffs on Chinese imports to America, including lighting components.

    The flow-on effect for the Jets of the 25 per cent tariff could be disastrous if the situation worsens. Newcastle’s budget is in the bottom half of the 10-team national competition and a significant reduction in the players’ wages budget would have serious consequences for the club’s operations. The Jets have been the least active in the transfer market in the off-season, signing just five players, most on modest wages.

    The Jets have had their share of issues with owners during the club’s 14 years in the A-league. One-time coal billionaire Mr Tinkler had his ownership stripped by former soccer boss Frank Lowy after his wealth plunged, only a few years after property developer Con Constantine was forced out when the global financial crisis struck his fortune.

    Mr Lee signed one-time Gosford mayor and former Central Coast Mariners boss Lawrie McKinna as chief executive but reportedly lost $3 million in his first season in control of the Jets, who finished with the wooden spoon after winning just five of 27 games.

    Mr McKinna, who helped broker Mr Lee’s deal with the FFA, engineered the signing of coach Ernie Merrick. He guided the Jets to second spot on the table before a controversial 1-0 loss in the grand final at home in Newcastle on May 5.

    A keen football fan, Mr Lee also owns a Shenzhen team in China and has the naming rights for Portugal’s second division.

    The Jets are one of seven of the 10 A-League clubs owned by foreign interests.
    Last edited by lil_masi; 09-10-2018 at 08:52 AM.

  19. #1179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,283
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_masi View Post
    Gatty's got an article in the Australian about how the US tariff on China could effect Martin Lee's investment in the Jets.

    EXCLUSIVE
    RAY GATT
    SPORTS REPORTER

    The ripple effects of Donald Trump’s aggressive trade war have reached as far as a soccer team in Newcastle, whose *Chinese owner’s financial commitment has been put in doubt by a 25 per cent US tariff.

    Multi-billionaire Martin Lee has considered a big chop to the budget of his Newcastle Jets after watching his LED lighting fortune cut in half in only five months.

    His industry was slapped with the tariff in an effort to lessen the trade imbalance between the US and China.

    Mr Lee bought the Jets from Football Federation Australia for $5 million in 2016, after the governing body had taken the *licence from the previous owner, fallen coal baron Nathan Tinkler. Mr Lee was considered a billionaire at the time, but the plunging share price of his Ledman Opto-electronics Group clearly has him worried about assets such as the Jets, which hosted and lost last season’s A-League grand final to Melbourne Victory.

    The Australian can reveal that Mr Lee approached Jets management several months ago and floated the idea of cutting as much as $600,000 from the players’ wages bill.

    While sources say he eventually pulled back, given the enormous effect it would have on the club’s chances of success this season, it is clear he remains nervous about the situation with the US and the impact it could have on his business interests here and at home.

    Mr Lee is chairman of the Shenzhen Stock Exchange-listed Ledman, which makes LED signage. Some of the signage has been used at A-League matches via a deal with outdoor media company QMS. Ledman’s share price has more than halved from more than 11 Chinese renminbi a share at the end of May — just weeks after the Jets lost the A-League grand final — to be trading now at about 5.20 renminbi a share.

    The US President has led the effort to impose a series of tariffs on Chinese imports to America, including lighting components.

    The flow-on effect for the Jets of the 25 per cent tariff could be disastrous if the situation worsens. Newcastle’s budget is in the bottom half of the 10-team national competition and a significant reduction in the players’ wages budget would have serious consequences for the club’s operations. The Jets have been the least active in the transfer market in the off-season, signing just five players, most on modest wages.

    The Jets have had their share of issues with owners during the club’s 14 years in the A-league. One-time coal billionaire Mr Tinkler had his ownership stripped by former soccer boss Frank Lowy after his wealth plunged, only a few years after property developer Con Constantine was forced out when the global financial crisis struck his fortune.

    Mr Lee signed one-time Gosford mayor and former Central Coast Mariners boss Lawrie McKinna as chief executive but reportedly lost $3 million in his first season in control of the Jets, who finished with the wooden spoon after winning just five of 27 games.

    Mr McKinna, who helped broker Mr Lee’s deal with the FFA, engineered the signing of coach Ernie Merrick. He guided the Jets to second spot on the table before a controversial 1-0 loss in the grand final at home in Newcastle on May 5.

    A keen football fan, Mr Lee also owns a Shenzhen team in China and has the naming rights for Portugal’s second division.

    The Jets are one of seven of the 10 A-League clubs owned by foreign interests.
    More proof that Trump is anti-capitalism much like the bankers, Pharmaceutical companies, and war mongers he supports.

    More communists in Washington than there are in Moscow.

    For Lee if he can weather the storm he's only going to come back stronger in the future when the US work out the error of their ways.

    As far as the Jets go - fan's here are realists and we knew it would only be a matter of time before things turned to shit.
    I will add though that even on a reduced budget Martin Lee is the best owner in the A-League. We are lucky to have him on board and would be a shame to see him have to move on.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 09-10-2018 at 10:42 AM.

  20. #1180
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,732
    Ray Gatt reported on Twitter that Hillary won.

    This is all #fakenews

    #MAKEALEAGUEGREATAGAIN
    #Trump 2020

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •