Page 73 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 3064

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Good morning, today's Herald story.

Soccer: Jets defender in running for FFA Cup return against Adelaide

James Gardiner

Local Sport

NIKOLAI Topor-Stanley is learning fast what it is like to chase Panamanian striker Abdiel Arroyo around.

The evergreen Jets defender is working his way back to fitness from a calf strain.

On Tuesday, he was matched up against the athletic Central American.

"Chasing Arroyo is not easy," the 34-year-old said. "Getting back in and playing against the best we have is what I want to do. He is quick, very physical and very strong. Touch wood he keeps fit and he will be a good asset for us."

Topor-Stanley sat out the Jets' 3-1 loss to Brisbane and the 4-3 win on penalties against Perth at the Surf City Cup on the Gold Coast last week.

"It was a good time away and we were put to the test with two games in three days," Topor-Stanley said. "I have been a few weeks out with a little [calf] niggle and it is good to be back with the boys."

Although in full training, Topor-Stanley, who hasn't missed a competitive game in two seasons, is unsure if he will be available for the FFA Cup quarter-final against defending champions Adelaide at Coopers Stadium next Tuesday.

"That is up to the coaching staff," he said. "All I can do is train and train hard. It's one step at a time trying to get through training and get back to some sort of fitness. That is my focus. I have had a couple of full training sessions back. To get full fitness, you have to get games and games in succession.

"I may not get there until the season. It is a long season. Injuries are part of the game. I have had a fairly good run.To pick it up was disappointing, but you just have to deal with it. We are in good hands here. The medical staff have done a good job to get me back. I want to be all in and I am always pushing to get back quicker. It doesn't mean you do silly things, it is all within measure."

This is the first time the Jets have progressed to the final eight of the FFA Cup and Topor-Stanley said winning was a priority.

"That is why we play the game; to win silverware, win cups," he said. "It's an opportunity for us to progress and we will be taking it very seriously."

Adelaide have a new coach in Dutchman Gertjan Verbeek and a host of fresh faces.

"I am expecting a different team, but what exactly that might be is a little bit of an unknown," Topor-Stanley said.

Meanwhile, Brisbane forward Dylan Wenzel-Halls is enjoying learning his trade from some of the games greats. The 21-year-old made his A-League debut for the Roar last season under John Aloisi. Now Wenzel-Halls is picking the brain of new boss Robbie Fowler.

"He's always looking to help me but it's not only me, it's looking to help everyone, he's in everyone's ear giving them little tips and feedback which I think it's really important," Wenzel-Halls said. "For me it's exciting to work with someone of his calibre and I think I'm quite lucky to do that and be in that position. But even just watching the likes of Roy (O'Donovan) and how he moves as well, for a young striker, puts me in a good position."

Adama Traore to Victree allegedly...

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Adama Traore to Victree allegedly...
    Allegedly? MV have announced it.

https://www.melbournevictory.com.au/...eturns-victory

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Yeah, I just saw it pop up on a mate of mines Facey page..
    Wasn't sure how legit it was, but also couldn't be bothered going searching..
    Get back to your Devy, mate..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Yeah, I just saw it pop up on a mate of mines Facey page..
    Wasn't sure how legit it was, but also couldn't be bothered going searching..
    Get back to your Devy, mate..
    Tomorrow. Today, disc golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Current Melbourne Victory Squad
    Matthew ACTON, Kenjok ATHIU, Jay BARNETT, Corey BROWN, Leigh BROXHAM, Benjamin CARRIGAN, Thomas DENG, Kristijan DOBRAS, James DONACHIE, Tim HOOGLAND, Josh HOPE, Elvis KAMSOBA, Birkan KIRDAR, Robbie KRUSE, Brandon LAUTON, Anthony LESIOTIS, Andrew NABBOUT, Jakob POULSEN, Storm ROUX, Matthew SUTTON, Lawrence THOMAS, Ola TOIVONEN, Adama TRAORE
    wait a sec, how did Victory end up with such a trash squad?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

NBN NPL grand final preview - Maitland Magpies

http://video.nbnnews.com.au/nplmaitlandpre120919.mp4
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

NBN NPL GF preview - Edgeworth Eagles

http://video.nbnnews.com.au/npledgeworth130919.mp4

Merrick has faith in new-look strike force despite injury cloud over import

James Gardiner

Local Sport

COACH Ernie Merrick is confident the Jets have enough strike power to trouble Adelaide United with or without Panamania international Abdiel Arroyo.

Arroyo is in doubt for the FFA Cup quarter-final showdown with the defending champions at Coopers Stadium on Tuesday night after rolling his ankle at training.

The 25-year-old was assisted from the training paddock and is expected to have scans to determine the full extent of the injury.

"He was turning quickly in the box at speed and seems to have jarred his ankle," coach Merrick said. "It is difficult to say how bad it is ... but we feel as though we have the numbers covered for the FFA Cup game in Adelaide. We have Kaine (Sheppard) and Jason Hoffman up front, Nick Fitzgerald, Gus Thurgate ... a number of players. It doesn't just come down to one player."

Experienced midfielder Ben Kantarovski also failed to complete training and had ice on a hamstring issue. The 27-year-old has just returned from a groin niggle.

"He felt something in his lower hamstring," Merrick said. "He will be right in a week or two. There will always be one or two setbacks when you are pushing them to this level of fitness. You are always going to have little injuries here and there. It is best for them to happen in the pre-season rather than in-season. It's best that they are minimum type injuries. Strength wise the boys are looking very good. Strength is a key component of keeping players injury free."

Kantarovski was likely to play alongside Johnny Koutroumbis in the heart of defence against Adelaide.

Nikolai Topor-Stanley is back in full training from a calf injury but may not be ready to start. Pat Langlois partnered Koutroumbis in the 5-1 win over Edgeworth in the FFA Cup round of 16.

"Nikolai and Nigel (Boogaard) are both up for game time. I don't know about them starting but they are fit enough for game time," Merrick said

Sorry didn't have time over the weekend to post this.
    Hmmm....

ABC to televise Saturday afternoon games? About a quarter of our draw is Saturday 5:15 so we might get a game televised for a change...

https://www.goal.com/en/news/a-leagu...x1hqw3czepgfqx

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...jured/?cs=7580

still unconfirmed what the injury is for wes.

I know we have some professionals on the foz with respect to these things so why are these players so fragile ?

In comparison back in the early 80's Pat Jarvis of St George needed to convince Roy Masters he was fit to play the following day.
    So they went out to the carpark, Jarvis sat down with his leg out and Albert Young backed his ute over the leg a few times.

Wessi copped a slight knock off Kitto and he's gone for 12 weeks ? FFS these blokes are soft.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 20-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

you sure those guys played for St George Budapest??

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I know we have some professionals on the foz with respect to these things so why are these players so fragile ?

In comparison back in the early 80's Pat Jarvis of St George needed to convince Roy Masters he was fit to play the following day.
    So they went out to the carpark, Jarvis sat down with his leg out and Albert Young backed his ute over the leg a few times.

Wessi copped a slight knock off Kitto and he's gone for 12 weeks ? FFS these blokes are soft.
    Roy Masters - that man loved "tough".

This is how our modern day softies need to warm up in the dressing room . Didn't take much to push Les Boyd (who got suspended longer than Roy once).

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/tomm...770iqr3j7rhq3z
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 21-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Roy Masters - that man loved "tough".

This is how our modern day softies need to warm up in the dressing room . Didn't take much to push Les Boyd (who got suspended longer than Roy once).

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/tomm...770iqr3j7rhq3z
    A mate from Castle Hill used to know Boyd and Wombat back in the late 70's early 80's.. Both really nice blokes - Boyd especially - absolutely nothing like you'd imagine based on his on field behaviour.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.

A-League: Lack of goals but no shortage of entertainment as Jet play out draw with Sydney

Nick Guthrie

Local Sport

There was a moment inside the final 10 minutes of Saturday's A-League pre-season match where Sydney FC coach Steve Corica looked across at the opposition bench and shared a wry smile with Newcastle Jets counterpart Ernie Merrick.

Corica had just watched his side spurn a golden chance to break the deadlock at Apex Oval and that frustrating lack of a final product was the tale of the game.

The contest finished at 0-0 but there was no shortage of excitement for the bumper crowd of 3800 at a dust-covered and blustery Dubbo.

The Jets had the best chance of the game but Socceroos forward Dimi Petratos smacked his penalty attempt into the upright early in the first half after Ryan McGowan had brought down Kaine Sheppard.

Milos Ninkovic missed a huge chance for the Sky Blues when he blazed wide when under little pressure on the edge of the area shortly after and the chances continued until the very final minute, when Newcastle's Steven Ugarkovic was played in but could only manage to hit the crossbar.

The lack of a goals was disappointing for both sets of players and the fans in attendance, but there was a huge amount of positives for both the Jets and Sky Blues.

"We hit the post and the crossbar and a couple went just wide and I thought it was a good performance overall," Jets coach Merrick said.

"We've had a fairly hectic time of it and played Adelaide in Adelaide [in the FFA Cup on Tuesday] but the boys responded and came strong again at the end.

"We're very strong and very fit so we're happy with the hit-out and Sydney played well, too."

Petratos forced a smart save from Sydney FC goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne from a freekick inside 10 minutes and on 15 minutes he stepped up to take the penalty.

He beat Redmayne but it struck the right upright and bounced clear.

Sydney FC, led by star duo Ninkovic and Adam Le Fondre, soon worked their way into the game and the former seemed destined to score on 31 minutes when Luke Ivanovic teed it up after a break down the right.

But Ninkovic put it wide of Lewis Italiano's goal and there was few other clear-cut chances before the break.

The Jets made three substitutions at half-time but an unchanged Sydney line-up came out and dominated the second stanza.

Le Fondre continued to create space for himself but the Jets' defence remained strong, while Luke Brattan blazed over the bar following more slick build-up from the Sky Blues.

Petratos shot wide soon after on one of the Jets' forays forward before Sydney FC struck the post during a stint of sustained pressure.

It seemed nothing would find the back of the net and that was proved true when three minutes into injury time Ugarkovic was put through in the box but his shot was always rising and clipped the crossbar on the way out.

"We're getting more and more of our players fit," Merrick said, having seen captain Nigel Boogaard put in a composed performance in his first 45 minutes back from knee surgery in the first half.

Centre-back partner Nikolai Topor-Stanley was also praised by the coach, as was Sheppard and new signing Bobby Burns.

Paulo Retre, getting minutes at right-back for Sydney FC due to Rhyan Grant's expected national team commitments this season, was one of his side's best and combined with Anthony Caceres to great effect on the right flank while Ninkovic, Brattan, and Brandon O'Neill all pulled the strings from midfield at different times.

"There's definitely positives, it's just about being ruthless in front of goal," Grant said.

"Hopefully we can build on that in the next few weeks before the season starts."

Can't even afford a trip to Melbourne...

Jets CEO Lawrie McKinna said the away trial against City was cancelled after an unexpected cost blow-out for the trip, as well as the potential of the clubs meeting in the FFA Cup semi-final.