Page 108 of 154 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Announcement pending this week.
    They’re giving us the wooden spoon already?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/wyn...dment-approval

western united have got approval for their stadium. I didn't think they would actually deliver this. i'm glad i was wrong.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-home/?cs=7580

Roy 100% Aussie this Thursday:

JANUARY 25 2021 - 8:00PM
    A-League: Jets striker O'Donovan delighted to officially call Australia home
    James Gardiner
    Local Sport
    A-League: Jets striker O'Donovan delighted to officially call Australia home

ROY O'Donovan had rarely spent more than two years in one place when he decided to try his luck Down Under.

But from the moment the Irishman touched down, he knew Australia was home.

That was five and a half years ago. Since then, his son, Alfie, has come into the world, and the feisty frontman has forged a reputation as one of the A-League's most passionate and productive goal poachers.

The majority of his stay has been in Newcastle, leading the line for the Jets.

On Tuesday, O'Donovan and wife, Ellen, will become dinky-di Aussies at a citizenship ceremony via zoom.

"My history as a player was two years in one place before I wanted a new challenge," O'Donovan said. "We never looked too far past two seasons. As soon as we came here, we loved the place, loved the football. The sun was shining every day. The opportunities in Australia - it is a very forward thinking, positive county - are endless. There is so much opportunity for young people to progress. Within the first few months myself and Ellen made the decision there was nowhere like this place.

"We are blessed to have the opportunity to call this place home. Now we have the passport to back it up."

O'Donovan's citizenship comes hot on the heels of his 50th goal in the A-League - drilling the match-winner in a break through 2-1 triumph over Wellington in Wollongong on Sunday.

"There are a few milestone this week. It was 50 goals on Sunday, Australian citizenship on Thursday and Alfie starts school next Monday,"O'Donovan said.

Citizenship also means that O'Donovan is no longer classed as one of five imports each club is permitted to sign.

At 35, the former Premier League striker is closer to the end than the start of his career, but believes there is enough running in his legs for at least a "couple more years".

"I want to play the best I can for as long as possible," the off-contract O'Donovan said.

"Hopefully it is in Newcastle. "

Although proud to reach the 50 goals milestone - in just 108 games - O'Donovan has unfinished business.

"I'm very ambitious, very driven," said O'Donovan, who has also had stints at the Mariners and Roar.

"I would like the opportunity to win some silverware before it is all said and done. We were hard done by a couple of years ago [losing the grand final to Victory after a controversial VAR decision].

"The good thing right now is that the club is stable. There are some great young prospects learning their craft in the A-League.

FAMILY AFFAIR: Roy O'Donovan with wife Ellen and son Alfie. Pictutre: Sproule Sports Focus
    FAMILY AFFAIR: Roy O'Donovan with wife Ellen and son Alfie. Pictutre: Sproule Sports Focus

"We also need to keep the good people in and around the club. Historically with Newcastle we have lost a lot of good people when there have been changes. I think it is important to keep the fabric and the culture of the club while freshening things up as you move forward."

Next for the Jets is a trip to Western Sydney to tackle Wanderers on Friday night.

"It is certainly a game that the fans would like us to win," O'Donovan said.

"We needed to get that notch on the board, the first three points. I was delighted to get on the scoresheet myself and most importantly we are off the mark."

"That will take some pressure moving forward. We know we are capable of winning games. But we are young side as well and need to learn the lessons quick because first-team football is unforgiving.

"Hopefully we can kick on now. We can play our football and win games the way we want to.

"Wanderers have been playing some good football ... I really think we have the ability to cause them trouble and win the game if we do things right."

On joining the Jets from the Mariners for the 2017-18 season, O'Donovan bought a family home in Fletcher.

"When I bought the house here I had enjoyed my spell in Newcastle and wanted to make it home," O'Donovan said. "I wasn't expecting to go to Brisbane last year because of financial problems at the club which everybody is well aware of now.

"We are very blessed to live in Newcastle. It really does feel like home. We love the people.They are very similar to Irish people. The same sense of humour. The weather here is slightly better. It feels like home and hopefully it is for a lot longer."
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/i..._h678_fmax.jpg
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Announcement pending this week.
    I thought I read somewhere that there would be announcement today? What's the go, Gaz?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that there would be announcement today? What's the go, Gaz?
    Won’t do it on the day of the game.

The story in the herald Prso blew smoke up GVE a$$ it’s like he signed cause he knew he was returning

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Won’t do it on the day of the game.

The story in the herald Prso blew smoke up GVE a$$ it’s like he signed cause he knew he was returning
    HAHA.. It can't be legit.
    Surely we have a little more ambition than to go for him a fvcking third time?!?!?
    I thought it was all just a p!sstake rumour that was started on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    HAHA.. It can't be legit.
    Surely we have a little more ambition than to go for him a fvcking third time?!?!?
    I thought it was all just a p!sstake rumour that was started on here?
    I hope not to but where there is smoke .......

There is a high probability (P=0.75) that today's game will be Dean's last as head coach, and good news will follow.

Go Jets!

If GVE comes back, so many half interested fans will walk away fully now. Just keep Dean's in as a temporary option and find a new buyer. I'm quite happy to lose with an interim manager doing his best. But losing with Gary in charge is something we've all gone through enough to do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    If GVE comes back, so many half interested fans will walk away fully now. Just keep Dean's in as a temporary option and find a new buyer. I'm quite happy to lose with an interim manager doing his best. But losing with Gary in charge is something we've all gone through enough to do it again.
    You think so? What about the half interested new fans who have no history of GVE and go "ohh, he looks after the Young Socceroos. This is an almighty coup"? Apart from the half dozen die hards that post here, does anyone actually give a flying **** who the coach or players really are as long as the team wins?

I think plenty remember the backpass fest during GVE's second stint and just how batshit boring the football was and how week after week GVE would come out and tell us stats matters more than results because results he could not achieve.

If they appoint GVE it will be the result of a lazy process and a decision made by people who can't read the room, If the club can't find a better candidate than GVE then it should put off the process continue with Deans til the right person does come along.

For a title winning coach why has no other club offered him a gig in the past ?.

There is a high probability (P=0.75) that today's game will be Dean's last as head coach, and good news will follow.

Go Jets!
    Lol, you said a while ago, 2 more games under Deans. Genuinely interested to see if this was correct. Goodluck Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Fuk off
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    You think so? What about the half interested new fans who have no history of GVE and go "ohh, he looks after the Young Socceroos. This is an almighty coup"? Apart from the half dozen die hards that post here, does anyone actually give a flying **** who the coach or players really are as long as the team wins?
    Hey, I'm sure there's a lot of people who think GVE is some of "Proper Newcastle Lad" and will be stoked with the idea. I don't speak for everyone remember.

I was just more alluding what 380 hit you with. He was dreadful the last time he was here and a few fans were pretty stoked it seemed to move on from him. He hasn't been off coaching anywhere that would drastically change his style or tactics so I can only imagine he'll be here to do the same thing again. He's a youth coach, not a first team coach in my opinion.

I'm enjoying what Deans is doing enough at the moment to be happy to wait for a proper appointment to be made once a new owner can be found. The club should be focusing 100% on the sale rather than the head coach gig right now. And then any kids or seniors that come and offer their services can be reviewed by Dean's himself and Griff to fill the remaining spots on short term deals/loans. Leave as clean a slate for the new owners next year as possible.

We can't get relegated so the football side of things isn't the end of the world compared to the ownership issue. Keep playing kids and let everyone attack. People will still watch us if our loses are at least exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

New execs for APL, sound too experienced for the A league
    https://www.a-league.com.au/news/aus...e-appointments
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    New execs for APL, sound too experienced for the A league
    https://www.a-league.com.au/news/aus...e-appointments
    Ant hearne reads like a very good get.

Interesting to see what path we go down with TV rights. Interesting appointment given his experience with Kayo
    I’d also love to see the stats on Rugby’s Stan experiment. How many people upgrade and how many people sign up.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...clash/?cs=7580

FEBRUARY 3 2021 - 5:00AM
    A-League: Interim boss Craig Deans in charge for City clash as Jets close in on coach
    James Gardiner
    Local Sport
    Comments
    PILOT SEAT: Interim boss Craig Deans (right) has another chance to press his claims for the Jets head coach position. Picture: Jonathan Caroll

Jets executive chairman Shane Mattiske expects to appoint a head coach early next week - giving interim boss Craig Deans one more game to push his claims.

A shortlist of four candidates were interviewed last week by an advisory panel which features former Socceroos captain Alex Tobin, Matildas great Julie Dolan and highly regarded coach Ron Smith.

The Jets' recent spike in results has strengthened the credentials of Deans, who has held the reins since the exit in October by Carl Robinson to join Western Sydney.

Celebrated Socceroo and high-profile football analyst Robbie Slater gave his backing of Deans after the Jets' 1-all draw with Wanderers last Friday.

Another positive result against last season's A-League grand finalists, Melbourne City, at home on Sunday, would add weight to his case.

"We had hoped to finalise the position this week, but the reality is that it will probably drag into early next week," Mattiske told the Newcastle Herald.

Shane Mattiske

The Jets have used three coaches in the past year and Mattiske said the club's new management had undertaken a thorough process and put in place an assessment criteria to ensure they get the right person "to take the club forward".

"We have done some interviews and are in the process of forming a view," Mattiske said. "It is more than just a coach. It includes the support that we put around them and understanding the different alternatives.

"There is a process we are working through. We have formed an advisory panel which has some independent views on it. We are confident that when we get to the point where we can make an announcement, it will be someone who is right for the club and someone who can take the club forward."

By then, the Jets, who sit in last spot on four points, would have played seven games - almost a third of the campaign.

"We are very focused on ensuing that it can happen quickly," Mattiske said with regards to the successful applicant assuming control.

The coach will have at least three new players to strength the squad.

Former Western United striker Apostolos Stamatelopoulos has signed until the end of the season and is available to play once the transfer window opens on February 16.

Indonesian under-23 international Syahrian Abimanyu and Kosovo attacker Liridon Krasniqi are expected to join the Jets on loan from Malaysian club Johor Darul.

Their addition follows the arrival of young soccer Luka Prso, who made an impressive debut off the bench, winning a penalty, in the 1-all draw with Western Sydney.

Matt Millar returns to training on Friday after a loan period at English League One club Shrewsbury Town.

Asked if the roster would be bolstered further, Mattiske said: "That is something we would work through once we have confirmed the coach. We are moving from a point where we were a little short on depth to building a full squad."

Millar, baring a hold up in quarantine, hopes to sit on the bench for the visit by City.

In a boost, the COVID-19 capacity at McDonald Jones Stadium has been lifted to 50 per cent (about 12,000) and the Jets have discounted family tickets in a bid to boost crowd numbers.

"The team has been performing well. They need the Newcastle community to get behind them," Mattiske said.

"We have some momentum after a win and draw and will be important to have a good crowd behind us.

"It is a time of year where parents and kids are starting to think about registering for football and launch into the season."

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...-city/?cs=7580

FEBRUARY 3 2021 - 8:30PM
    Soccer: After just 22 minutes of a A-League action, Luke Prso is in line to play major role for Jets against Melbourne City
    James Gardiner
    Local Sport
    Comments
    IMPRESSIVE: Luka Prso

LUKA Prso was recruited by the Newcastle Jets with a view to the future and filling the enormous shoes of Western Sydney-bound midfielder Steve Ugarkovic.

On Sunday, Prso, with just 22 minutes in the A-League under his belt, is likely to partner Ugarkovic in a rejigged midfield for the clash against Melbourne City at McDonald Jones Stadium.

In-form No.10 Ramy Najjarine is not permitted to play against his old club, due to a league-wide stipulation for players on loan.

Ali Abbas would normally be the next in line, but the Iraqi international is on the comeback from a hamstring injury. Kosta Petratos has also filled the role but is more adept up front.

The most likely scenario is for Angus Thurgate to push forward with Prso replacing Najjarine as he did in late in the 1-all draw with Western Sydney last Friday.

Elevation to the starting side would continue a meteoric rise for the 20-year-old who joined the Jets on loan two weeks ago and has played little senior football.

Jets football manager Joel Griffiths has no doubts that Prso would be up to the task of starting if required.

"I definitely think he would handle starting," he said. "The signs are good. He is a great kid and is sure about his ability. He is not content just to make up the numbers."

In Prso's 22-minute cameo against Wanderers, as well as winning a match-equalising penalty, he completed 17 passes without error and won two fouls.

"It looked like a young boy wanting to get on the ball and not really caring so much about making mistakes in the front third," Griffiths said. "He has definitely been a breath of fresh air. I thought he would struggle conditioning-wise but he was getting up and down the field like he has been with us all season, not having just spent 14 days in quarantine."

Jets captain Nigel Boogaard was also impressed with Prso's energy and maturity.

"He wanted to get on the ball, he wanted to create things," Boogaard said. "His match smarts played a big part in the penalty. A lot of kids who grew up playing football in this country would have stayed on their feet when they got contact in the box.

"It is a matter of what the coaching staff want to do. If he gets an given an opportunity to play, we are confident he can do a job for us."

Ugarkovic, 26, is closing in on 100 straight starting appearances for the Jets, but will head to Western Sydney next season.

Young Socceroos coach and Jets 2008 championship-winning boss Gary Van Egmond believes Prso has the potential to have an even greater impact than the man he will replace.

"Once it was clear that Steve was going next year, we started looking around," Griffgiths said. "Luka's name was given to me. Dutchy (Van Egmond) coached him in the Young Socceroos and said he had the ingredients to develop into and even better player than Steve. Luka is obviously on loan [from Croatian club Osijek] and we will see how he goes."