Page 87 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Not a bad shout. A good surface and one that isn't being used by League....yet
    Newcastle is not going to be used by League either (is this correct?)

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Newcastle is not going to be used by League either (is this correct?)
    No idea. Can't say I've been following what the NRL have been planning or doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

NRL is playing in Sydney I believe

So MJ might be available too.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Talk of Newcastle as a possible part of the base for A-League restart

MAY 6 2020 - 8:00AM
    A-League: Newcastle Jets' base looms as part of return flight plan
    Craig Kerry
    Local Sport

Jets chief executive Lawrie McKinna believes Newcastle could become part of a wider hub, taking in the Central Coast and Sydney, for the A-League to be based to complete its season in August.

Football Federation Australia is aiming to finish the 2019-20 season, after a return to training in July, in line with predicted downgrades in COVID-19 restrictions.

The Jets beat second-placed Melbourne City 2-1 on March 23 at McDonald Jones Stadium in the last match played before the A-League was suspended because of the pandemic.

With 27 regular-season games remaining, the A-League is looking to follow the NRL in creating a hub base in NSW for teams to finish a condensed schedule of matches behind closed doors.

McKinna said preliminary plans were to complete the regular season in an 18-day window with finals to also be played inside of August.

Given the NRL's use of Sydney grounds in the same period, McKinna said McDonald Jones Stadium could host A-Leagues matches featuring teams other than the Jets.

"We don't know, because they said it could be one hub, it could be two hubs," McKinna said of early talks.

"It was very vague on Friday, but I would say that they would look at using our venue, the Central Coast's and Sydney venues as venues anyway."

Newcastle are ninth on 24 points, three points outside the top six, with four matches to play. Home matches against Wellington and Western United and away clashes with Central Coast and Sydney were part of the original draw but McKinna said that could change.

"They will not necessarily give us two home games, it will be just four games," he said.

"It could be double-headers here with us playing someone and maybe the Mariners playing someone else.

"They just want to get the outstanding league games played as soon as possible."

A new NRL draw is yet to be released, but McKinna believed there would be no problem sharing McDonald Jones Stadium with the Newcastle Knights during the hectic schedule.

McKinna was confident likely relaxation of travel restrictions would allow coaches Carl Robinson and Kenny Miller to return from overseas for training in July but he was unsure about the club's imports.

Joe Ledley and Bobby Burns have returned home but Wes Hoolahan and Abdiel Arroyo remain in Australia.

"Joe Ledley is back there now, Bobby Burns was out here on loan, so it's just if we can get them back out here for two months," he said.

"That's up in the air. But Joe only started one game and if Wes wasn't here, he only played a couple of games at the end so we are all right.

"Everybody else will be available, apart from a couple of boys at the moment. We'd be hopeful we could put a strong team out. Other teams will be in the same boat as us. Some don't have coaches here and some of their foreign players are gone."

The Jets are only three points outside the finals but their top-six rivals have games in hand.

McKinna believed Newcastle would be in good shape to make a late push.

"If you went off the last eight weeks, we'd be sitting second in the comp," he said.

"Us and Brisbane were the in-form teams but obviously everyone is going to be starting from scratch again.

"We're really happy with how the boys are going doing the self-training, so it will be really interesting how other teams have done. Some might not be as strict as others."

A-League player contracts finish at the end of May, meaning changes will need to be made to get the season on again in August.

"The PFA, FFA and the clubs will be starting talks this week, because that has to get looked at now," McKinna said.

"You could extend [contracts] or get new squads, but I would think the simplest thing is to extend by three months."
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

To snatch parts of the article...

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/pfa-y-l...footbal-547814

Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) has declared that Australia’s premier youth competition – the Y-League – “does not meet the needs of the players, A-League clubs or Australian football,” in a new research study released on Wednesday morning.
    Examining the past five years of the Y-League, which marks the time period in which it switched to its current format, the PFA tracked the career progression of over 700 players that have appeared in the competition and surveyed 110 youngsters to create the report - which follows on from their 2019 study examining the development of Australia's Golden Generation.

The report found the Academy of Western Sydney Wanderers sent the most players to the A-League, 25 youngsters moving into the Red and Black’s senior squad from the academy, closely followed by Adelaide United (24) and Melbourne City (22). Perth Glory (11) and Newcastle Jets (10) harvested the least from their academy setups whereas, despite closing following the 2016/17 season, the FFA CoE still sent 16 players to the A-League (albeit they needed to move to other clubs to be able to do so).
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

Seems like we'll have 3 home games once the season resumes, possibly with up to 8250 in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    Seems like we'll have 3 home games once the season resumes, possibly with up to 8250 in attendance
    Members only probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Members only probably.
    That seems reasonable

They should let the people who attend the most home games. Go first. Reward the most loyal

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    They should let the people who attend the most home games. Go first. Reward the most loyal
    Don’t know if it’s like the EPL where there can track stuff like that.
    But makes sense to reward long term members. And maybe a random allocation for others if there are proper restrictions still by the time the season resumes.... in 2021
    At the moment I think they could probably stick with people that are interested in going.

[QUOTE=StannyCFCJET;239296]They should let the people who attend the most home games. Go first. Reward the most loyal[/QUOTE

That would be the members, They pay up to attend all home games ?.

[QUOTE=380;239298]
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    They should let the people who attend the most home games. Go first. Reward the most loyal[/QUOTE

That would be the members, They pay up to attend all home games ?.
    Yeah but do all members attend most games?

Off course not, Whats your point ?.

Are you suggesting season ticket holders/members should miss out to people who don't ?. Pretty absurd reasoning to prioritize non members over paid up members.

Think about it for a moment but it pretty stupid if you attend more games than a member and to not purchase membership don't ya reckon ?.
    Last edited by 380; 13-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.

I think Stanny is perhaps referencing how a lot of EPL clubs do it for big games.

So for example, Liverpool vs Everton derby games go on sale and there is additional criteria to purchase tickets. Eg must have attended at least 16 home games, and UCL games last season.
    Or for like an FA cup final, the criteria may be, must have attended all previous FA Cup games.
    Basically gives priority to those that are attending all the games, no matter how big or small.
    Then the criteria gets lessened as tickets are still available.
    Eventually tickets go on general sale with no criteria.

In reality, I don’t think that works here, we aren’t that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    I think Stanny is perhaps referencing how a lot of EPL clubs do it for big games.

So for example, Liverpool vs Everton derby games go on sale and there is additional criteria to purchase tickets. Eg must have attended at least 16 home games, and UCL games last season.
    Or for like an FA cup final, the criteria may be, must have attended all previous FA Cup games.
    Basically gives priority to those that are attending all the games, no matter how big or small.
    Then the criteria gets lessened as tickets are still available.
    Eventually tickets go on general sale with no criteria.

In reality, I don’t think that works here, we aren’t that big.
    Absolutely right you are but this is just a resumption of the season and any suggestion to allow people to attend over members who purchased there ticket 6 months ago is just poorly thought through.

Iv'e been complaining about members rights for years now, both here and the Herald but nothing changes. I wouldn't be surprised if all the tickets went to NNSW dickheads and cronies, and sponsors cronies who never go to a regular game.
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Absolutely right you are but this is just a resumption of the season and any suggestion to allow people to attend over members who purchased there ticket 6 months ago is just poorly thought through.
    Agree.
    Surely it would only be members/sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Yeah but give it to the members who turn up. Not the ones with memberships but don't attend. We have 12k members but never 12k crowds

IMO the club should reward those ticket holders top down ( keeping in mind i am a GA pensioner so i would be at the very ass end of this preference proposal ). Tickets for entry in the following order

Sponsors and there usual allocation
    Gold
    Silver
    Red Blue ( Me )

Platinum wherever the hell that fits in.

Once all the top groups are covered for tickets then ballot the rest, Have a standby list once past 8250. All those from the top groups have up til 48hrs before kick off to advise the club if they will have any no shows so those unused tickets can be offered to the standby list. Any of those unused tickets from the upper categories where the club was not informed and given the opportunity to redistribute that particular allocation then the club should tell them they forfeit that seat for the next game and will go into the GA ballot.

I have no problem with missing out to somebody who pays more than me, If i have to miss out to somebody paying 3 to 4 times my membership cost but i still get to sit at home watch my team hear and see a real crowd on the Fox broadcast i can live with that for the few remaining games.