Page 72 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

From the Herald

A-League: Jets expect A-League test against Roar and Glory in Surf City Cup

James Gardiner

Newcastle Jets

ERNIE Merrick believes the Newcastle Jets are showing "good signs" but the experienced coach expects his new-look attack to be put to a truer test against A-League opposition at the Surf City Cup on the Gold Coast.

The Jets tackle Brisbane Roar at the Croatian Sports Centre on Sunday and back-up three days later against 2019 Premiers Plate winners Perth Glory.

"The Gold Coast Knights have done a tremendous job in putting on this tournament," Merrick said. "It is great for the community up there and shows how much interest there is in football.

"For us, it is another step in our preparation. Having two games in three days gives us a chance to rotate the squad a little bit.

"The games will be very serious.

"For the Roar, it's really their home crowd. I know its the Gold Coast but I'm sure it is a large part of their catchment area. They will want to do exceptionally well.

"Glory, it is always tough when you live so far away to get quality games, so they will be playing their best team as well."

With former Premier League star Wes Hoolahan, Dimi Petratos and Panamanian striker Abdiel Arroyo prominent, the Jets accounted for Edgeworth 5-1 in the FFA Cup 10 days ago.

The Eagles played with a back five and looked to hurt the A-League side on the counter.

However, they couldn't handle the pace of Arroyo and Nick Fitzgerald and the trickery of Hoolahan and Petratos, who on Friday was overlooked for the Socceroos squad to play Kuwait in a World Cup qualifier on September 10.

"When you play against a back three with two wingbacks, you have to play in a certain way," Merrick said. "We practiced that against Edgeworth and it worked really well. But there is no doubt that it is going to be much more difficult against Brisbane Roar and Perth Glory. Another step up is good.

"If you get it wrong against Edgeworth, you are in real trouble. To score five goals, and perhaps we should have had a few more, is a good sign. But we have to be sharper, we have to be quicker and we know when we get caught on the counter attack against good teams, you pay a price for it. You have to have your defence actively ready for a counter.

"There has been a major focus on getting out of our back half quickly, getting into the front third with numbers and finishing with one touch. That will continue."

Ben Kantarovski has recovered from a groin niggle and will be involved. Nigel Boogaard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Lachlan Jackson and Glen Moss are still working their way back to full fitness and will travel but not play.

"We could play Glen but will probably give him a little bit longer," Merrick said. "We want him super fit for the season so there is no point in rushing him right now. He should be right for the FFA Cup, so should Nikolai. Nigel is touch and go and so is Lachlan. We will take the whole squad. We are keeping them all together for a bit of bonding as they say."

The Roar, who went down in the FFA Cup to the Central Coast Mariners in a penalty shoot-out on Wednesday night, were expected to field a depleted side against Perth in the Surf City Cup opener on Friday night.

They are expected to be back to close to full-strength against the Jets.

" Robbie Fowler is the new coach, they have changed the team around a fair bit so it will be ideal to see how they play, what there structure is.

"It will be good to catch up with Roy O'Donovan. He is a good guy and did a great job for us when he was here.

"He will be revved up I'm sure. He always is. He is a professional. I'm looking forward to catching up with him again. He did a great job for us when he was here.

"Both teams, I think, will play open and honest football and entertain what should be a good crowd."

Some not so good news from brisvegas

Brisbane outgun Newcastle Jets 3-1 in trial

ROBERT DILLON

JETS coach Ernie Merrick was satisfied with his team's all-round performance despite losing their opening match in the Surf City Cup 3-1 to Brisbane Roar on Sunday.

Brisbane, who also beat Perth Glory 1-0 on Friday night in the pre-season tournament on the Gold Coast, led 2-0 at half-time after goals by Brad Inman and Mirza Muratovic.

Off-season signing Nick Fitzgerald pegged one back for the Jets early in the second half, only for Inman to seal the result with his second goal in the 81stminute.

Merrick said he was "very happy" with what he saw from his team, especially as senior defenders Nigel Boogaard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley and Lachlan Jackson are still unavailable because of injuries.

"We played some really good football, very intense, and given our heavy training schedule, it was a really good conditioning workout for us," Merrick said.

"Credit to Brisbane, they scored three goals to our one, but I was particularly impressed with the way our midfield played.

"Matty Ridenton really ran the show in the middle of midfield ... we probably had more possession in their defensive half and defensive third than they had in ours, and more shots. There were lots of good signs there."

Veteran midfielder Ben Kantarovski received his first game time of the pre-season after returning from a groin strain and provided immediate authority.

Tuesday's clash with Perth will give the Jets another chance to fine-tune before their FFA cup quarter-final in Adelaide on September 17.

I hope Ernie isn't intending to keep ridenton as a realistic midfield leader. I am singularly unimpressed with him since he arrived at the club. He always seems to be the weak link.

I hope Ernie isn't intending to keep ridenton as a realistic midfield leader.
    But didn't Ernie just say he marshalled the midfield like a true general? (Custer probably...)
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Ridenton's biggest contribution since arriving has been to our turnover stat.

Depends on Kanta - we will have our front four plus Kanta and Uga in mids - Ridenton then is their back up.

Kanta - lift!

Or the additional CDM to fill Joey's spot, as Ernie mentioned at the Member's forum last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Or the additional CDM to fill Joey's spot, as Ernie mentioned at the Member's forum last week.
    Which I don't understand as we have Gus as well and Langois and Johnny can play there as well. FFS we need a LB over anything else

Its nice to see some regular press coverage during preseason. I thought this guy had a decent game last ffa cup round. Let's hope he keeps it up., gypo or not.. kanta at the back? Hmm, not sure about that one.
    Once again from the Herald

A-League: New approach a good Fitz for Jets winger

James Gardiner

Local Sport

NICK Fitzgerald hasn't scored a goal in the A-League in the past two seasons.

Before that, his biggest haul was four, which he collected in consecutive campaigns from season 2015-16.

They are statistics the 27-year-old Jets winger is working overtime to change.

The early signs are encouraging.

Fitzgerald, playing a more direct style, has banked goals in back-to-back games.

The former Olyroo reckoned he "couldn't miss" such was the quality of the cross from Angus Thurgate in the 3-1 loss to Brisbane Roar at the Surf City Cup at the Gold Coast on Sunday.

"Angus brought some energy down the right and whipped in a great cross," Fitzgerald said. "The ball got stuck under my feet and then I was able to poke it home from in the six-yard box. The cross was that good that I couldn't really miss."

His goal in the 5-1 rout of Edgeworth in the FFA Cup was also swept in from well inside the 18-yard box.

These are the type of goals that have been missing from the high-octane attacker's repertoire.

"It is always good to get among the goals and get the confidence up ready for the season," Fitzgerald said ahead of the Jets' clash with Perth at the Croatian Sports Centre on Tuesday night.

"You can't score from outside the box in every game. You have to be getting in the right position. Angus put in a great ball and I was in the right position to capitalise. Near the penalty spot: that is where I hope to score a lot of goals this year. Ernie [Merrick] and assistant coach Clayton Zane have been doing a lot of work with me on making runs into the box.

"My positioning has to be better this year. That is how I will score more goals, not necessarily by scoring from outside the box.

"Dimi Petratos is a great attacking player and Wes Hoolahan has come in as well. There is some great talent in the team, which helps me as well. It's a work in progress but I am happy to get among the goals again and get the confidence up. It will be another good test tomorrow against Perth and we will see how we go."

The battle against last season's A-League Premiers Plate winner is for bragging rights only. The Roar, who beat Perth 1-0 on Friday night, have already secured the inaugural tournament which is being hosted by the Gold Coast Knights.

Ben Kantarovski, who returned from a groin injury off the bench against the Roar, is likely come into the heart of defence in place of Pat Langlois.

"Hopefully we start a bit better against Perth," Fitzgerald said.

"We took it to Brisbane, we were just a bit off in the first half. The travel got to us a little bit. There were some pleasing signs in the second half. Even from 2-0 down we took the game to them and gave it a real crack. The combinations came together.

"We have some key players out as well, which doesn't help. Boogs and Topor have to come back in. They are key figures and leaders.

"Perth were the benchmark last year and with [coach] Tony Popovic still there, they will be a quality team again. It will be another good test to see where we are at and what we need to improve on.

"We have the FFA Cup quarter-final against Adelaide next week. They are obviously a great side as well. We want to progress in the FFA Cup. It is a good opportunity to win a trophy pretty much before the season starts.

"It's always about trying to improve as we get closer to the season."

Nice to wake up to a good news story.

Italiano saves day as Jets beat Perth in shootout to finish Surf City Cup on a high

James Gardiner

Local Sport

KEEPER Lewis Italiano provided the heroics as the Newcastle Jets finished the Surf City Cup on a high, beating Perth Glory 4-3 on penalties after the scores were locked at 1-all at fulltime on Tuesday night at the Croation Sports Ceentre.

Italiano dived low to his left to deny Juande and then sealed the win, saving the fifth attempt by Ivan Franjic.

"Lewis saved a couple of crackers and did really well," Jets coach Ernie Merrick said. "We want Lewis pushing Glen Moss really hard."

Dimi Petratos was the only Jets player to miss from the spot, sending his effort high.

Steve Ugarkovic, Johnny Koutroumbis, Kosta Petratos and Makis Petratos all converted.

The Jets opened the scoring in the 11th minute through Ben Kantarovski. But his goal was cancelled out by a Neil Kilkenny penalty on the stroke of half-time.

"We acquitted ourselves really well and were a bit unlucky not to win in regulation," Merrick said. "We had three one-on-ones with their keeper. Arroyo hit the post with one, Dimi put one over the bar and Jason Hoffman was also right through.

"They had two good chances as well

"I was very impressed with the level of the boys' fitness. Perth virtually changed their whole team, but our lads never stopped pushing."

The Jets were without Kaine Sheppard, Jack Simmons and Angus Thurgate who have been struck by a virus and flew home on Tuesday. Their departure left the Jets with 14 fit players and they gave an opportunity to a youngster from the tournament hosts, Gold Coast Knights, to play off the bench.

The win over last season's A-League premiers followed a 3-1 loss to Brisbane on Sunday.

The Glory, who went down 1-0 to Brisbane in the tournament opener on Friday, fielded an attacking line-up spearheaded by Diego Castro and Bruno Fornaroli.

Kantarovski put the Jets ahead in the 11th minute with a clinical header from a pin-point Dimi Petratos cross.

Nick Fitzgerald nearly doubled the advantage in the 26th minute but his lob was fractionally high.

Joel Chianese went close for the Glory in the 40th minute, forcing a diving save from Italiano.

Four minutes later Perth were on level terms after Italiano brought down Chris Harold in the box and Kilkenny converted from the spot.

The Jets thought they had regained the lead in the 62nd minute when Jason Hoffman tapped in only to have the goal pulled back for off-side.

Two minutes later Abdiel Arroyo was denied by the post and the Panamanian missed another chance in the 69th minute.

I like that we are counting Dimi putting “one over the bar” as chances on goal. Should lead the comp in chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogshot99 View Post
    Nice to wake up to a good news story.
    How is this a good news story?
    Next thing you know the Jets might be less than trash, people will go to games, beer lines will be longer and we'll have nowt to blow up about on the Foz?

What sort of world do we live in where people aspire to be happy?

I'll be over in the Politics thread if anyone needs me until this wave of optimism subsides.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    How is this a good news story?
    Next thing you know the Jets might be less than trash, people will go to games, beer lines will be longer and we'll have nowt to blow up about on the Foz?

What sort of world do we live in where people aspire to be happy?

I'll be over in the Politics thread if anyone needs me until this wave of optimism subsides.
    It is okay

We going to do our usual come season arrival

Boogaard is still to come back and you know he will deliver

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    It is okay

At least there's less chance of Boogs giving away penalties and red cards this year.. he'll be so slow and so far behind play he won't know be able to attempt any reckless challenges.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    It is okay

So you're saying we'll be a mathematical chance of making the finals with 2 rounds to play?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    At least there's less chance of Boogs giving away penalties and red cards this year.. he'll be so slow and so far behind play he won't know be able to attempt any reckless challenges.
    He more likely to take them out early due to lack of speed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    So you're saying we'll be a mathematical chance of making the finals with 2 rounds to play?
    Forever 7th

MSN Sport - no salary cap so Shitney can sign Joey to a record deal by the looks:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/foot...tanntp#image=1
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    MSN Sport - no salary cap so Shitney can sign Joey to a record deal by the looks:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/foot...tanntp#image=1

Scrap the cap.

Celebrate ACL winners and Minor Premiers as the pinnacle of football in AUS.

Change the finals series to a separate cup.

Work on pro/relegation as soon as we are ready.

FMD, it's not that hard fellas.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Scrap the cap.

Celebrate ACL winners and Minor Premiers as the pinnacle of football in AUS.

Change the finals series to a separate cup.

Work on pro/relegation as soon as we are ready.

FMD, it's not that hard fellas.
    That is the football way....unfortunately its not the Strayan way.