Page 106 of 154 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Does Abdul know we have a pie shop for sale
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...clubs/13023888

bold new era and all that. hope they're right.

can someone please post the heralds articles from the last few days

https://thewomensgame.com/news/we-wi...-owners-559420

Paul Lederer saying the jets are safe. Article also states that it is expected that Lee will be stripped of the licence.

Quote Originally Posted by R Ramjet View Post
    can someone please post the heralds articles from the last few days
    I banned V8 for posting daily news in the wrong thread, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    https://thewomensgame.com/news/we-wi...-owners-559420

Paul Lederer saying the jets are safe. Article also states that it is expected that Lee will be stripped of the licence.
    Yep. Yadder yadder, yadder. "Handbrake is off..." i.e. Sydney & Melb - can go for it now legally.

was thinking about the border closures and what it means for the comp

at the moment (about 8pm saturday 2/1/21):
    - perth can only play adelaide or brisbane
    - NSW teams can only play NSW teams, including Newcastle as they went to "greater sydney" since 11 December
    - Victorian teams can play each other, brisbane and adelaide

good luck with the scheduling! it's going to be hell at the back-end of the season if another closure happens.

Imo, it’s naive on the league’s part if they didn’t plan for this.

Should be simple enough to make those splits, or relocate a team or two to make a viable draw for a fortnight or so to keep the comp going.

Think about all the Derbies!

Edit: The run n cuddle had the advantage of being predominantly NSW based. But I can’t see why the A league couldn’t implement a “bubble” for a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 02-01-2021 at 09:32 PM.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/its-all...es-deal-559432

key points:
    - FA has control of when the season is played, some clubs upset about possible move to summer (competition with AFL/NRL, stadium access, clash with amateur comps keeping fans away and "cold weather keeping crowds away", others supportive (improved quality of football).
    - FA getting a cut of transfer fees and licence sales/transfers, and any profits
    - FA retain ownership of FFA cup, NPL and national second division

the "cold weather" argument is brilliant. Our crowds are so huge in the summer that we couldn't do much worse. And we aren't playing for the same crowd as AFL/NRL. Big bash is killing us in summer, so why worry about that? Stadium access is a legit issue.

not sure about FA getting a cut of transfers etc.

my initial thought about the national second division ownership was "why?". Thinking on it for a bit i can see the logic. This way there is no possibility of the top-flight clubs killing off promotion/relegation before it can even begin.

Existing a-league clubs have long term agreements to be in the top division. To counter that, the FFA are building a 2nd division, the best teams will gradually get promoted to form a 14-16 team a-league. When the existing agreements expire and a strong 2nd division is in place relegation will occur.
    Its a long term, fair and smart plan. Id be shocked if its here within the next 10 years, but if they do it right and its sustainable, it will work really well.

Stadium access is a prob for us and wanderers. Legit though Inter Miami built a whole new joint in 12 months flat how long could it take us to expand #2 to a 12-15k venue them play any marquee games at Marathon stadium.
    Get a developer in our new ownership group and they can develop the site with council/state govt assistance.

NCC leadership has some really good relationships with developers no doubt they can sort out some favours.

Really good relationship with developers is what turned a good town into a really shit town
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Really good relationship with developers is what turned a good town into a really shit town
    I know, right.
    Oh for the days of abandoned warehouses and filthy wharves lining the harbour.
    How dare someone put all those lovely dwellings in there and create a linked livable beautiful city.
    Scum of the earth indeed.
    Run for mayor and burn them all down ill vote for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    I know, right.
    Oh for the days of abandoned warehouses and filthy wharves lining the harbour.
    How dare someone put all those lovely dwellings in there and create a linked livable beautiful city.
    Scum of the earth indeed.
    Run for mayor and burn them all down ill vote for you.
    Isn't/wasn't that all being done by a state government organisation?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Isn't/wasn't that all being done by a state government organisation?
    Everyone has their nose in the trough my friend. That's how this all works.
    Now, if you've got a minute check out how Macarthur is funding thier new stadium.
    Its a great example of pollies taking back the power in all this. And it also looks like a fantastic consequence of developers being banned as political donors. The same could be recreated here but it would need leadership. Alas, sometimes it's easier to take the kickbacks and tick everyone's paperwork.

Halle-ducking-lujah.

Would be nice to know who the interim consortium is. Lawrie should thanked for his efforts but asked to move on.

I agree, if Lawrie’s been looking for an owner for the past 18 months or so, he’s clearly failed, he needs to go. Complete rebuild of the club is required.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    I agree, if Lawrie’s been looking for an owner for the past 18 months or so, he’s clearly failed, he needs to go. Complete rebuild of the club is required.

Not a Lawrie fan in the slightest but he HAS brought parties and offers to the owner Lee for his consideration in the past.In fact one of those interested made two offers to which Lee declined.

I think Lawries job was to walk parties through the road to a sale get an ultimate commitment out of them forward a figure from them to Lee. Not sure he has failed on that KPI.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Not a Lawrie fan in the slightest but he HAS brought parties and offers to the owner Lee for his consideration in the past.In fact one of those interested made two offers to which Lee declined.

I think Lawries job was to walk parties through the road to a sale get an ultimate commitment out of them forward a figure from them to Lee. Not sure he has failed on that KPI.
    I can see the validity of your point, but I think it is just time to move on. Somebody has to take the wrap for this debacle, he was the guy in charge. He has no doubt been well rewarded for his time with the jets.

IMO the spotlight is well and truly on the intentions of those carrying the can at the minute for the Jets. The way i see it two things can happen here

1.The group responsible can look to move the Jets on in a timely manner to a previously interested party for the sum of there out of pocket expenses only. This move forward would allow us to make some additional signings inc a decent #10, Fill our squad and re-assure anymore potential bed wetters at the club off and on the field.

or worse

2. They can also prove to be as obstructive as Lee in dollar terms in there expectation for what they want in return for there involvement and drag this shitshow out even further all because they want to make a few bucks for there investing time and dollars to drag the circus away from Martin Lee.

If as reported Gerry Ryan was a previous interested party and he still has some interest that can be rekindled then that call should have been made already to him.

Past experience in ownership with Melb City, Ownership of the Melbourne Storm and investing in other sports, extending a hand to this bloke is a no brainer especially now with Lee's inflated interpretation in value of the Jets no longer a consideration.