Page 71 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    That's wonderful, Dun.
    I was referring to the fact they had the wrong picture up.

Yes, but I preferred what I preferred.

FROM THE HERALD.

NEWCASTLE Jets came from two goals down to notch a 2-all draw with Western Sydney at Parklea on Wednesday in what coach Ernie Merrick labelled a valuable dress rehearsal for their up-coming FFA Cup battle.

ADVERTISING

The Jets take on Melbourne Victory in the round of 32 at AAMI Park on Wednesday night.

Panamanian striker Abdiel Arroyo is expected to make his debut off the bench against Victory, while captain Nigel Boogaard (knee) and keeper Glen Moss (foot) are on track to be available.

None of the trio played in the trial, which was held behind closed doors.

Jason Hoffman (65th) and Angus Thurgate (68th) hit the back of the net for the Jets after Bruce Kamau (12th) and Daniel Georgieski (35th) had put Wanderers ahead.

"Bearing in mind we are 10 weeks out, I'm very happy with where we are at," Merrick said. "It was a big step forward from the Edgeworth match. It was much better tactically and the quality of passing was good in the first 20 minutes, and we got better the further the game went. It was a good dress rehearsal for the FFA Cup. Victory nor ourselves will be at our best. No-one will be at their best. That is impossible."

Matt Millar went close to putting the Jets ahead in the ninth minute when he struck the crossbar from a Dimi Petratos cross.

Wanderers then took control with a goal to winger Bruce Kamau in the 12th minute.

Former Jets fullback Daniel Georgievski double the advantage with a powerful shot in the 35th minute.

"We had some chances in the box but we didn't finish very well," Merrick said. "To be fair to Wanderers, after they scored, they dominated the rest of the first half. They pressed us really high and it worked. Instead of passing the ball in behind them, where there was a lot of space, we were getting caught in possession. We changed a couple of things in the second half and got stronger and stronger."

The Jets hit back midway through the second half when Hoffman slotted home a cutback from Steve Ugarkovic. Three minutes later substitute Angus Thurgate got on the end of a Petratos cross and headed in.

"We controlled the last 15 minutes and should have put them away but we didn't," Merrick said. "Overall, I'd say a draw was a fair result. Bearing in mind we are 10 weeks out, I'm very happy with where we are at. But we can't concede a goal cheaply and then drop our heads for the rest of the half. We spoke about lifting and pressing more and they did it really well. They responded to a slight strategic change."

Nikolai Topor-Stanley got through 75 minutes in his first start for the season. Matt Millar, Ben Kantarovski and Dimi Petratos were replaced early in the second half.

"We managed to give a lot of our younger boys a run - Pat Langlois, Jack Simmons, Kosta and Maki Petratos and Keegan Hughes in goals," Merrick said. "Everyone did a job."

From the Herald.

AUGUST 12 2019 - 7:00PM

A-League: Irish import hits the ground running for Jets

James Gardiner

Local Sport

WES Hoolahan has trained only twice with the Newcastle Jets but his new teammates are already starting to "pick the brain" of the former Premier League star.

The 37-year-old Norwich City legend was all class in a ball-work session on Monday.

His movement was sharp, passing crisp. Most impressive was the midfielder's ability to link with players, switch the point of attack and find pockets of space.

"I knew he would be good but he is above and beyond my expectations," coach Ernie Merrick said. "His passing, movement, ability on the ball ... he has already started talking to young Angus Thurgate about his positioning off the ball. He is very good."

Hoolahan has played 30-plus games a season in either the Premier League or Championship in four of the past five years and had been training with lower league side Cambridge United before travelling to Newcastle.

Merrick said he was a strong chance to be involved in the Jets' friendly against Hamilton Olympic at Darling St Oval on Thursday. If not, definitely against Edgeworth in the FFA Cup round of 16 battle at Jack McLaughlan Oval on Wednesday week.

"He is very fit," Jets midfielder Steve Ugarkovic said. "His movement off the ball and his body movement on the ball. The way he sells players with his shoulders ... having that option in front of me, he looks sharp. He has come here to do very well.

"He is definitely someone I can learn from. He is a great mind to have on the field and in the change room.

"I will pick his brain and see what I can do and changes I can make to my game."

Hoolahan has played the majority of his career as a No.10. With Ronny Vargas departing, Socceroo Dimi Petratos was set to assume that role. Who plays where and how they combine remains to be seem.

However, they did appear to form an instant chemistry on the training pitch on Monday.

"It is still only early," Ugarkovic said. "I think Wes is the sort of player who can gel in any team. He is someone who is going to bring others players into the game, which is exciting."

Ugarkovic produced a herculean effort in the Jets' thrilling 3-2 extra-time triumph over Melbourne Victory in the FFA Cup last week.

The midfielder set a new club record, covering 17.5 kilometres during the game at an average of 130 metres per minute.

"I have always prided myself on doing the dirty work," the 24-year-old said. "It was a big output from all the boys. We all worked hard. It was good to see that effort and to win was even better."

The Jets are expecting a different type of game against Edgeworth, who defended stoutly and caused the A-League outfit problems in a friendly last month.

"We will show them as much respect as an A-League team," Ugarkovic said.

"They are a good side, have good players and are doing well in their season. It will be a different game to Victory. That is the way football is. We will stick to the way we play. It will be a good experience, good for the region to be playing a game out there. I'm definitely looking forward to it."

i know a bit of it is about hyping up the new guy

but

it always amazes me when grown ass professional football players come across a 37yr old from the other side of the world and think hes some sort of alien creature.
    "oooh hes fit"
    "oooh hes sharp"
    "oooh hes smart" etc.

do they not realise our players and coaches should also be really fit, really smart and really sharp?

the **** these people doing in these off seasons and then at training?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

But does he even have boots? Ffs. Smoke and mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i know a bit of it is about hyping up the new guy

but

it always amazes me when grown ass professional football players come across a 37yr old from the other side of the world and think hes some sort of alien creature.
    "oooh hes fit"
    "oooh hes sharp"
    "oooh hes smart" etc.

do they not realise our players and coaches should also be really fit, really smart and really sharp?

the **** these people doing in these off seasons and then at training?
    i like the work from the herald - each year they just change the name and republish. hope the original journo is getting royalties!

From the Herald
    A-League: Champness puts Jets career on hold to chase music dream

Vince Rugari and James Gardiner

Local Sport

MUSIC MAN: Joey Champness has put his football career on the back burner to focus on hip hop.

Newcastle Jets winger Joe Champness is convinced he can make it big as a musician after making the bold call to put his career on hold in the A-League and sacrifice a possible Tokyo Olympics appearance to pursue his hip-hop ambitions.

An aspiring rapper who performs under the stage name JOWIC (pronounced Joey-Cee), Champness was given permission to skip the first month of Newcastle's pre-season to spend time in Los Angeles, where he recorded music with the Create Music Group and mixed it with some industry heavyweights.

The 22-year-old returned to Australia over the weekend but will now return to the United States for an extended period after reaching an agreement with the Jets over his future. Champness has signed a two-year contract extension but will spend at least the next six months overseas on what is essentially unpaid leave - meaning he will miss the start of the upcoming A-League season.

Regarded as one of the most promising young players in the competition, Champness' decision will also impact his international ambitions. He is a member of the Olyroos, Australia's under-23 national team who are due to play in a qualifying tournament for Tokyo 2020 early next year.

Champness is fully aware of what he is passing up and is prepared for the inevitable criticism and backlash that will come his way but believes he has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in front of him.

"I wouldn't be doing this if I wasn't convinced that there's something out there," Champness told the Herald. "I met with some really great people and I can't talk about it too much at this point ... there's risk involved, of course, but there's risk in everything.

"There's a lot of circumstances and factors that people aren't aware of as well. It'll most likely stay that way. All I can do is make the decision I feel is best.

"It's not a normal situation, that's for sure. I've got a lot of love for the Newcastle Jets and a lot of respect for everyone on that team - I'm contracted there for the next three years, so it's an honour to be given that sort of opportunity and trust from the club in that sense as well."

Hip-hop is not a mere side-project for Champness, who it's understood also turned down a loan move to newly-promoted English League Two side Salford City - owned by several former Manchester United legends, including David Beckham, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs - to concentrate on music.

Champness is as serious about the craft of making hip-hop as he is about football, and the Jets are fully aware of that. If he wishes to return to the club at any stage in the near future, the new deal gives him scope to do so and Newcastle will happily accommodate him.

Asked for a highlight from his recent stint in the US, Champness said: "(There were) a lot of highlights, but the process above all is a highlight in itself. Being able to work with different minds and visionaries who can put work in the right hands is a major factor. Details are to come on how that looks exactly but take it from me, it's a good situation for me as an artist and my team as well."

Merrick, though disappointed to lose a game breaker, said he was understanding of the player's stance.

"I would hate to force a talented musician to, in any way, give up his dream of music," coach Ernie Merrick said. "I think he can do both but he feels he has to focus on one at the moment.

"As a coach I am pretty happy with the way we have dealt with the issue and not made a big thing of it. He has re-signed for another two years. Short-term, long-term I think it will work itself out."

Jets chief executive Lawrie McKinna concedes there is a chance Champness may never play football again.

"He might be in the US for six months, he might be there for a year, he might never come back to play football," McKinna said. "But we thought it was important for the Newcastle Jets to have him signed up, so if he does come back he comes back to Newcastle and not to another club.

"We did the right thing and let him go to the US for a month. People might say that backfired. If a player walks out on a club there is nothing we can do."

Champness' departure leaves the Jets with 19 senior players and three scholarship players on the roster.

"We are actively looking for a another player. It might not be a wide player but we will definitely bring in a player," McKinna said.

I wonder what the budget is for the replacement and what position we are looking at. I can see holes in the squad everywhere but especially at left back. Also I still don't see a lot of goals in us.

You make it sound like we look at our squad and handpick players to come and fill any gaps.

When In fact it’s a matter of waiting for an agent to tell us some guy is keen on a run and we pay up and claim to be a not for profit organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    I wonder what the budget is for the replacement and what position we are looking at. I can see holes in the squad everywhere but especially at left back. Also I still don't see a lot of goals in us.
    The club has no interest in signing a LB. We have to watch Johnny K struggle there all season

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    The club has no interest in signing a LB. We have to watch Johnny K struggle there all season
    Or Lachy.
    Topor has got a hell of a work to do...

Banned
    Short price now that the Jets sign Andrew Hoole to fill JOWIC departure

I wish McKinna was good at music.

I wish McKinna was good at music.
    I wish he was good at anything at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I wish he was good at anything at all.
    I wish he wasn't a Gypo

anyone else see that small piece of info today suggesting wooden spooners wont be allowed to compete in the following years FFA cup?

a small step obviously but its good to see the clubs going the way of punishing failure instead of rewarding it like the americans.

more of it please.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    anyone else see that small piece of info today suggesting wooden spooners wont be allowed to compete in the following years FFA cup?

a small step obviously but its good to see the clubs going the way of punishing failure instead of rewarding it like the americans.

more of it please.
    When we going to do it properly and relegate the Gypos??