Page 140 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 3065

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster;26***9
    FA is really doubling down even thinking of a 2nd tier comp when the first tier can't get owners, crowds or attract quality players.
    This is a disaster.

The real reason is the old nsl clubs want their glory back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Not the best timing - they should ignore the NPL pressure and get the A-League house in order first.

The ALW is losing money hand over fist at the moment due to lack of genuine interest (ie - bums on seats and viewers), this is sheer folly.

Unless of course the idea is to have this ready for when the main league falls over and we go back to the 1990's.
    The A-Liga is an APL problem, they wanted independence, they've got it. FA have nothing to do with them anymore.
    Jaliens gives me the horn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastwest View Post
    This is a disaster.

The real reason is the old nsl clubs want their glory back.
    What exactly is wrong with bringing them back ??

We should never have brought Western United into the comp when we could easily have brought South Melbourne Hellas back into the equation.

This going main stream shit doesn't actually work in theory

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What exactly is wrong with bringing them back ??

We should never have brought Western United into the comp when we could easily have brought South Melbourne Hellas back into the equation.

This going main stream shit doesn't actually work in theory
    Dreamin.

How many world cups did we make under that brilliant nsl regime? How many have we made since its demise... only all of them

It isnt perfect but its the best weve done for a country that doesnt like socca.

You can still go be a pretend to be an ultra at hellas if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Dreamin.

How many world cups did we make under that brilliant nsl regime? How many have we made since its demise... only all of them

It isnt perfect but its the best weve done for a country that doesnt like socca.

We weren’t competing against third world countries to make the World Cup back in the NSL days, Asia is a little easier then before

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    We weren’t competing against third world countries to make the World Cup back in the NSL days, Asia is a little easier then before
    Made the WC in 74 against good opposition pre nsl. Any other throw away excuses?

nsl only appeals to narrow cultures. A diluted Aleague "can" appeal to any socca supporter more through geographical location.

Those who choose to stick to their own can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newysports2.0 View Post
    The name is obviously a pisstake if you can’t tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardelsimage View Post
    the pisstake is on, who would call themselves after a pedo.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Dreamin.

We produced players in the NSL

Bosnich
    Schwarzer
    Emerton
    Viduka
    Bresciano
    Grella
    Chipperfield
    Okon
    Zelic
    Gypo Arnold
    Farina
    Slater
    Aloisi

Yes we produced players who could play in the EPL and top leagues in the world from the NSL

All the ALeague produces is players for the Scottish Premier League

The reality is the ethnic clubs are not the problem and never were the problem

Time they were welcomed back into the fold

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    We produced players in the NSL

Bosnich
    Schwarzer
    Emerton
    Viduka
    Bresciano
    Grella
    Chipperfield
    Okon
    Zelic
    Gypo Arnold
    Farina
    Slater
    Aloisi

Yes we produced players who could play in the EPL and top leagues in the world from the NSL

All the ALeague produces is players for the Scottish Premier League

The reality is the ethnic clubs are not the problem and never were the problem

Time they were welcomed back into the fold
    Football development has come a long way since a lot of these players were involved. Internationally and locally.

However the problem seems to be more the lack of opportunity in the current system for young up and coming players.

Most of the above got early, consistent minutes playing at the top national level which the A League unfortunately does not provide consistently enough.

If a second division is coming into being I would hope that there are some rules implemented that enforce a minimum number of U23 or U21 local players so we are not just increasing the team numbers without addressing the actual issue.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

I personally think a bit a skippys vs hellas/azzuri/balkan racial tension would be more exciting than most of the on field action...

what could go wrong? (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-fan-behaviour)

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    If a second division is coming into being I would hope that there are some rules implemented that enforce a minimum number of U23 or U21 local players so we are not just increasing the team numbers without addressing the actual issue.
    Minimum number of U23s in the season squad list - Yes

Minimum number of U23s in the Matchday squad - No
    Jaliens gives me the horn

I dislike minimum requirements for teams to have youth, or local, or whatever in their squad.

Make them incentives instead.

Make x% of a teams share of the TV earnings related to Australian/Kiwi players. Another x% related to academy players. So the teams with money can build the teams the way they want, and the smaller teams van use these incentives to keep them competitive. It also means there's a financial incentive to build academies and find the best young talent from around the country. Could also help solve some of the issues kids football already has with cash being the main driver instead of talent.

Obviously this needs a lot more explanation, and the figures make a huge difference, but I think it makes more sense to allow smaller teams to close the gap between the wealthy ones by either producing their own talent to play with or sell them to the better teams for large fees to reinvest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

McGarry is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I dislike minimum requirements for teams to have youth, or local, or whatever in their squad.

Make x% of a teams share of the TV earnings related to Australian/Kiwi players. Another x% related to academy players. So the teams with money can build the teams the way they want, and the smaller teams van use these incentives to keep them competitive. It also means there's a financial incentive to build academies and find the best young talent from around the country. Could also help solve some of the issues kids football already has with cash being the main driver instead of talent.

Obviously this needs a lot more explanation, and the figures make a huge difference, but I think it makes more sense to allow smaller teams to close the gap between the wealthy ones by either producing their own talent to play with or sell them to the better teams for large fees to reinvest.
    I like the concept. Implementation would be extremely difficult.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

All the clubs have got a motivational factor in place for developing players it's called ****ing money

The more players we as a development league start sending overseas the more the money will go up

Look at the Japanese Korean and American leagues. You don't think the Euro clubs be scouring for the next Mitoma Pulisic Son etc in these domestic comps

There are bargains to be had from the MLS JLeague etc

Why any of the A League clubs have no interest in playing kids is beyond me.

It's the easiest way to get some big $$ in to balance the books as soon as you find the one to sell off to Europe

With no relegation can anyone offer a valid reason why Jets shouldnt be playing the youth ??

Gotta be better than playing the likes of Jurman Elsey etc

As for your point about incentives the ALeague should be cutting the foreigner numbers which straight away should see better quality foreigners plus will open up more spots for locajs

Instead of allowing 5 foreigners let's make it 3 and this will force the clubs to be more prudent with their choices not hoping to get 2 out of 5 as a success which seems to be the go

Despite it being a commie value the League should be forcing the clubs hands to be more interested in playing local young Aussie players than they currently are. Whether this requires a rule to force change is a necessary evil but it is high time we got rid of the chaff

Piscopo news from the Herald today:
    A-League soccer, 2023: In-form attacker Reno Piscopo faces stint on sideline in blow to Jets' finals drive
    James Gardiner
    By James Gardiner
    Updated February 15 2023 -6:52 pm, first published 4:00 pm

Reno Piscopo will be sidelined for at least a month after scans confirmed that the game-breaking midfielder has a serious adductor injury in a blow to the Newcastle Jets' drive for the A-League finals.

Piscopo pulled up lame after striking a ball during the warm-up before the Jets' 2-1 win over Melbourne Victory on Sunday.

The 24-year-old was replaced in the starting side by Kosta Grozos, who scored the match-winner - his maiden goal in the A-League.

Piscopo was at training on Wednesday but was on light duties and could miss up to six matches.

The setback comes at an inopportune time for Piscopo - and the Jets.

After a disrupted start to the campaign due to a calf issue, Piscopo has found his mojo in the past month.

Moved to a more central role, where he has been able to get between the lines and break up the defence, Piscopo scored a contender for goal of the year against Perth and has taken his assist tally to three.

The Jets are unbeaten in the past five games - netting nine goals - and have a chance to move into the top six with a win over Macarthur at Campbelltown on Saturday.

Grozos is likely to again o get the nod in the No.10 role.

"I train my hardest every week and it is up to the boss to pick his XI," Grozos said. "Reno was one of our best players. He was finding his top form, scoring and assisting. I feel sorry for him but I'm sure he will be back stronger."

Grozos admitted he was "in shock" after the match-winner against Victory.

"I haven't really had that experience of scoring and that feeling," he said. "Hopefully there is plenty more to come."

Jets co-captain Carl Jenkinson has plenty of confidence in Grozos, who the defender likened to former Arsenal teammate Mesut Ozil.

"I call Kosta, Mesut sometimes," Jenkinson said after the win. "He plays like Mesut Ozil. His weight of pass is fantastic. "

Grozos has started in five of his 12 appearances this season and said his approach remained the same.

"I know what I need to do whether I come on or start," he said. "I need to be the creative player for the team.

"We need to keep playing the way we have been in the past five games. We are on a good roll and are playing good footy."

In a positive, Brandon O'Neil (knee) has resumed full training and Callum Timmins (adductor) is also close to a return.
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    Piscopo news from the Herald today:
    Bugger.

You could tell it was serious after the game. He was shuffling off very uncomfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Our 2 best forward passing players are proving to be on the sideline too often this season.
    Hopefully saito can show us the directness we are lacking with piscopo and O'Neil out

Just for something different - dug out one of the old DVDs and noted this pic on the label of the active support on that first A-League night..

Anyone of interest still with us?

GettyImages-56331997.jpg
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Just for something different - dug out one of the old DVDs and noted this pic on the label of the active support on that first A-League night..

Anyone of interest still with us?

GettyImages-56331997.jpg
    Wow I have not seen that photo for a while! I am in there smack bang in the middle.