Page 146 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3086

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Why do you old farts seem to care so much about something you keep saying you don't care about?

This world cup is going to break attendance records, those seats the member is waffling about were sections that weren't allowed to be sold for some reason. Just let the people who want to enjoy the world cup enjoy it, and if you don't care about go enjoy something else.
    No one's stopping you enjoying it

Criticism of women's football and the farce it is isn't diminishing your enjoyment of it

Seats on half way are not allowed to be sold??
    What a load of BS. FIFA monetize the **** out of WCs
    They know every seat at every stadium that is available.

You think they ****ed this up ???

No way

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    W League avg attendance was about 1900 for the top teams, 1300 for the Jets which were about middle of the road.

Western United avg attendance was only 3168, 3514 for Macarthur. Perth were 4500 so it's not just because they were new franchises.

So double the numbers of some W League sides and I absolutely guarantee they spent more than double what the women's team cost.

If we base decisions on the basis of fan numbers, we should cut some under performing teams before we cut an entire competition which costs a heck of a lot less overall.

You're the one making your decision based on how you feel instead of facts, not me buddy. Again, let people enjoy it if they want, it's not like the costs are going to bring the league down compared to the ridiculous wages being paid for less than average quality players in the men's comp.

Getting rid of the salary cap would do more for the bottom line of teams than cutting the women's competition
    As for the costs of the WLeague teams I am all for removing the costs from the Jets on the basis the money pissed away on that vanity project could be better spent on signing us better players for the A League

We don't have an owner obviously but I would rather all our coin was spent on making the Jets A League side more competitive than they are than pissing money down the drain on women that would get thumped by 15 year old boys teams

I'm planning some Newy trips later this year. Would greatly appreciate someone telling whether the Jets will exist. Thank you 🙏🏼

So, Paul McCartney is playing at MJS on Tuesday October 24th....wonder what that will do to the pitch this time
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    So, Paul McCartney is playing at MJS on Tuesday October 24th....wonder what that will do to the pitch this time
    Yep and I think pink is one week later, then the moto cross,

if you didn't have reason enough to hate the English already:
    https://keepup.com.au/news/womens-wo...-jason-culina/

did they actually gift it, or was it just not there when they went back for it??
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Just saw the highlights on the tv from Sydney vs CCM. “Redmayne saves Sydney in Penalties again”.
    The usual antics of dancing around.
    Now, I’m pretty sure FIFA banned this as of July 1. Interesting if anything eventuates throughout the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Just saw the highlights on the tv from Sydney vs CCM. “Redmayne saves Sydney in Penalties again”.
    Now, I’m pretty sure FIFA banned this as of July 1. Interesting if anything eventuates throughout the season.
    Not surprised aleague officials don't know the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Just saw the highlights on the tv from Sydney vs CCM. ?Redmayne saves Sydney in Penalties again?.
    Now, I?m pretty sure FIFA banned this as of July 1. Interesting if anything eventuates throughout the season.
    Yeah, but it's the Gypos..Those lucky pricks don't need any more ref help this season. Plus it's not like Corica is going to take Sydney much further in the cup anyways, so it's a win-win situation for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...24-p5dz9k.html

Looks like Perth are a lot closer than the Jets to getting an owner, seems to be a different set of rules also
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Our lot should do this at Newy Airport and pick out a random new owner.....

https://www.sportstiger.com/news/wat...arious-protest

How do you folk feel about preseason practice matches against the Mariners?

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    How do you folk feel about preseason practice matches against the Mariners?
    F*(k em off. Typifies just how much soul this club has lost over the last 5-6 season having pre season hit outs with them. Club has lost its identity over stuff like this so its only fitting this looks like being our final season and Mattiske will have to go get a real job.

Hard not to be negative with the Jets, if he's any good he'll leave, if he's crap, we're stuck with him
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    F*(k em off. Typifies just how much soul this club has lost over the last 5-6 season having pre season hit outs with them. Club has lost its identity over stuff like this so its only fitting this looks like being our final season and Mattiske will have to go get a real job.
    Full on fist fights at the twin servos only

Herald on Sydney prematch today:
    https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...t-in-friendly/

A-League 2023: Wilmering provides welcome headache as Jets push Sydney to limit in friendly

By James Gardiner
    Updated September 6 2023 - 6:27pm, first published 6:00pm

LEFT fullback was a trouble spot for the Newcastle Jets under Arthur Papas.

James McGarry, Jason Hoffman and Dane Ingham were all deployed on the left flank last season without making the position their own.

New coach Rob Stanton has the luxury of two quality left fullbacks to choose from.

Daniel Wilmering, 22, was a standout for the Jets in an entertaining, high-action 1-0 loss to Sydney FC in a friendly at Maitland on Wednesday.

The former Wanderer started for a second straight game in place of Lucas Mauragis, who is with the Australian under-23 squad in Tajikistan for Olympic qualifiers.

"I thought Daniel was the best for us," Stanton said. "His movement and go forward gave us plenty of options. His delivery was good and defensively he was sound.

"The last two games, he has been outstanding. To be fair to Lucas, he has been very good as well. I'm very excited. We have two really good guys who can give us penetration in the wide areas. In this system, the fullbacks are very important for that."

With newly-arrived French midfielder Jason Berthomier watching from the stands, the Jets pushed a strong Sky Blues to the limit.

In the end, it took a brilliant save from sub keeper Harrison Devenish-Meares to deny Lachy Bayliss a late equaliser.

A 22nd-minute strike from Jaiden Kucharski proved the difference.

Joel King burst down the left and cut a ball back for Kucharski, who was unmarked on the corner of the penalty area. The midfielder had time to fire a tracer bullet that didn't give Jets keeper Michael Weier a chance.

Sydney boasted a strong line-up headed by Jack Rodwell, Jack Lolley, Max Burgess, Luke Brattan, Joel King and Andrew Redmayne and dominated possession for much of the match.

The Jets were dangerous in transition, breaking with power and pace.

Wilmering and Dane Ingham, in particular, caused havoc for the visitors.

"All the boys are a bit heavy in the legs," Stanton said. "I have been really emphasising the gym work and exposing them to heavily lifting. They will get the benefit of that later on. I just wanted to challenge them. I wanted to play a team which is good with the ball and has 60 per cent possession. It highlights that we are very competitive.

"I was disappointed to concede the goal the way we did. We didn't get across and put pressure on the ball. We didn't react quick enough. It was a combination of things."

In the second half, the Jets got on the ball more, built pressure and created opportunities in the box. Apostolos Stamatalopoulos, Clayton Taylor, Ingham and Carl Jenkinson all had chances.

"I thought we started a bit flat," Stanton said. "I spoke to them at half-time and said 'if you you tired, that is good. If you want to be a winner, you have to play against the best teams. You have to act like winners. You can show me more. You are playing a bit conservative'.

"They came out in the second half and I saw more go forward, more determination to control the ball better when we are higher up the pitch. We created a lot of chances.

"Again our heavy legs showed. Around the box, we were a bit slow getting on the ball. I expected that.

"You need to do this with the players otherwise you won't find their limits. We have to keep pushing them until we get to the level we want to get too. Keep raising the bar every day."

Berthomier, who made his last appearance for French Ligue two club Valenciennes three weeks ago, will start training tomorrow.

Baring a mishap, the left-sided midfielder's first game against A-League opposition will be a friendly against Brisbane Roar in Coffs Harbour on September 21.

"His English is really good," Stanton said. "I'm pleased with his arrival and am looking forward to working with him. He will give us a cutting edge in that central area."
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

I thought we only played the mariners in pre-season matches. what madness is this?

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    "All the boys are a bit heavy in the legs," Stanton said. "I have been really emphasising the gym work and exposing them to heavily lifting"

Is that you Mark Jones???

Craig Goodwin has gone to Saudi Arabia. A loss for the league.