Page 17 of 154 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    You can see what damage that does to the A-League in terms of the mainstream.

Last night I watched Back Page on Fox....they showed the Jets goals and mentioned the game for about 30 seconds (nothing about crowd, or atmosphere or much else).

Showed the Buijs incident then went on for about 3 minutes showing clips of "sockah players" rolling on the ground.
    Its pretty hard to draw an arbitrary line and decide what crosses it - but there's got to be a point where ridiculous and comical overacting is grounds for bringing the game into disrepute - especially here in Aus where one of the biggest complaints against the game from outsiders is that players are soft, the game is soft and everyone dives and pretends to be hurt. Giving these idiots 10 second clips to look at and use as ammunition is, as you said, damaging our game's reputation.

Buijs took things to a whole new low
    Last edited by 380; 07-03-2018 at 02:38 PM.

You can see what damage that does to the A-League in terms of the mainstream.

Last night I watched Back Page on Fox....they showed the Jets goals and mentioned the game for about 30 seconds (nothing about crowd, or atmosphere or much else).

Showed the Buijs incident then went on for about 3 minutes showing clips of "sockah players" rolling on the ground.
    I was watching this in a pub and thought the exact same..
    Showing female AFL destroying each other, talking how hard they were, followed by heaps of clips of full grown "sokkah stars" rolling and rolling, and the laugh track from everyone.. Just made a mockery of the game..

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Buijs took things to a whole new low
    Arnie must have written on the white board it was important for everyone to play their role, except he wrote it up as "play your roll", which Booo-uijs has taken literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Arnie must have written on the white board it was important for everyone to play their role, except he wrote it up as "play your roll", which Booo-uijs has taken literally.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

I was surprised that Simon Hill said in the Fox podcast that it was just "gamesmanship" and that you can't be certain Buijs wasn't hurt.

Peacock - "he wasn't hurt, he was cheating".

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

I was surprised that Simon Hill said in the Fox podcast that it was just "gamesmanship" and that you can't be certain Buijs wasn't hurt.

that whole podcast annoyed me.
    Manliness ffs Simon Hill, we are talking about diving, simulation. Happens in the chicks game as well. **** off.
    Last edited by Hutcho; 07-03-2018 at 09:27 PM.

I went looking up 1458AM out of curiosity today and found my way the that very podcast!
    Will be checking it out regularly now...and yes, cringed when Hill called it 'gamesmanship'.
    Peacock is right.
    In my books it's the scourge of the game...

Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Funny thing is I have a picture from a football mag of Bobby Charlton taking a dive.

The quote "diving is becoming an issue in modern football and needs to be addressed".

This is 1970.

Funny thing is I have a picture from a football mag of Bobby Charlton taking a dive.

The quote "diving is becoming an issue in modern football and needs to be addressed".

This is 1970.
    I think diving is a slightly different issue: it's about trying to milk a particular situation, possibly making intentional contact with a defender to obtain a penalty, exploiting an inexperienced or clumsy defender. I don't condone or endorse diving, just to be clear, but I think it's done with a "justifiable" purpose.

Simulating an injury is on a totally different level imo: too often we see players rolling and screaming in agony, then having a quick peep at the ref, and then suddenly recover to full fitness once they see that no action is taken. In this case, ref should assess their condition after the "injury" and give a straight red if they reckon a simulation occurred. This would fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I think diving is a slightly different issue: it's about trying to milk a particular situation, possibly making intentional contact with a defender to obtain a penalty, exploiting an inexperienced or clumsy defender. I don't condone or endorse diving, just to be clear, but I think it's done with a "justifiable" purpose.

Simulating an injury is on a totally different level imo: too often we see players rolling and screaming in agony, then having a quick peep at the ref, and then suddenly recover to full fitness once they see that no action is taken. In this case, ref should assess their condition after the "injury" and give a straight red if they reckon a simulation occurred. This would fix the problem.
    There is no ethical reason to dive, it is also just straight out cheating - I can't accept this "entitled to go down" crap. What is happening now is the same thing escalating over the decades.

We are now Australia's favourite team

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng...P=share_btn_tw

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    We are now Australia's favourite team

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng...P=share_btn_tw

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post

How do you suppose the ref does this - considering the arguments happening at the moment related to their ability to apply the rules of the game how do you expect them to be able to assess if a player is injured or not. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have much training in that area. Also some times other factors can impact a players response (Im definitely not saying that was the case on the weekend) hypothetically suppose that odonovan had poked him in the eye, his actions could of been a reaction to that, how does the ref then say he was injured or not and rule on it, how do we decide what is an appropriate action to that injury. Injury shouldn't factor into the equation, if the ref thinks the action is worth a card they give it (and VAR overides them) and then match review panel can act if they deem necessary and we all move on.

Just when the game was getting into a better place by playing on when a player goes down theatrically, along comes VAR to encourage blokes to go down to convince the ref to go back and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Just when the game was getting into a better place by playing on when a player goes down theatrically, along comes VAR to encourage blokes to go down to convince the ref to go back and have a look.
    Sorta like when the player goes down and grabs the ball to force the ref to make a decision. Could fix it by allowing team captains to have a couple of reviews (not a fan of this).

What I also don't like is the way that they can't decide if they want VAR to be quiet and in the shadows, working behind the scenes, or if they want it to be open and part of the game. The half and half shit is annoying. Either don't involve the centre ref and don't stop play, let them do stuff behind the scenes - OR do as they currently do but show the replays on the screen when they are reviewing and let us hear the discussion between refs. Although I'm gonna lose it if I have to hear anyone say "rock and roll it for me"

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    how do you expect them to be able to assess if a player is injured or not.
    I'm not saying it's always possible, but in the majority of the cases a ref should be able to assess injuries and player behaviour (unless they've never reffed a football game before...): e.g. player rolls for 10 seconds holding his leg in agony, then sprints away... pretty easy to assess I think.
    You don't even have to interrupt play: let the phase finish, then show him a yellow or red (this could be done silently by VAR as well).
    Last edited by mic22; 08-03-2018 at 03:07 PM.