Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 National Premier League thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairgo View Post
    Agree ref was largely incompetent all game for many reasons. My question if a ref calls a decision even though it was wrong for a handball outside the box and gives a yellow for that decision and then awards a penalty for a different offence? which I think the goalie is entitled to go for the ball and they collided. I am a neutral and viewed the game as pretty end to end with no real dominance. I will have to watch the replay to see if I can see your view of dominance.
    You are right they are entitled to do what they want. The players had stopped magic players were calling for the ball to be kicked out. 99% of the time the ball would be kicked out. In my eyes and may be my eyes only that is poor sportsmanship.
    Dont know where you getting the hanfball from

I thought the foul was given for the collision.

Yes both were entitled to go for the ball and if either got to it late was always going to fiul the other.

In this case it was the keeper.

The only issue was the ref gave a free kick initially.

I think he sensed he got it wrong by the players and crowds reaction

After consulting with the linesman the coorect call was made.

Can see how the Olympic players reacted to it.

At 0-0 they accepted the changed call pretty well because they knew ot was a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Fairgo View Post
    Agree ref was largely incompetent all game for many reasons. My question if a ref calls a decision even though it was wrong for a handball outside the box and gives a yellow for that decision and then awards a penalty for a different offence? which I think the goalie is entitled to go for the ball and they collided. I am a neutral and viewed the game as pretty end to end with no real dominance. I will have to watch the replay to see if I can see your view of dominance.
    You are right they are entitled to do what they want. The players had stopped magic players were calling for the ball to be kicked out. 99% of the time the ball would be kicked out. In my eyes and may be my eyes only that is poor sportsmanship.
    Agree with MFKS the score flattered Olympic, bar the first 15m Magic were all over Olympic. The ref and he isn't the only one was very inconsistent with the issue of yellow cards. To be honest I think both Virgili and Kale were oblivious to what was happening with Dino Faj they were both in Olympics half 50m away when Faj was down.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Dont know where you getting the hanfball from

I thought the foul was given for the collision.

Yes both were entitled to go for the ball and if either got to it late was always going to fiul the other.

In this case it was the keeper.

The only issue was the ref gave a free kick initially.

I think he sensed he got it wrong by the players and crowds reaction

After consulting with the linesman the coorect call was made.
    Can see how the Olympic players reacted to it.

At 0-0 they accepted the changed call pretty well because they knew ot was a penalty
    The foul was given for a hand ball outside the box. I have not come up with this, this is what the call was after talking to the players. He then gave it as a penalty as the linesman said it was inside the box?? This call was not for the collision.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I jinxed the Jaffas clean sheet but it still finished Maitland 2-3 Jaffas. On a side note, Matt Thompson and the Maitland keeper need ****ing muzzles. The first because he’s one of the most disrespectful players towards the ref I’ve heard in a while and for the keeper because he doesn’t stop screaming at his players for the entire game.
    Energy and enthusiasm of Matt Thompson, Matt Trott and Matt Comerford are the only thing going for Maitland at present. Olympic can have their coach back and the "rejects". Very one dimensional coach. Organisation and structure revolve around Matt Thompson. They are not fit enough nor are there enough young legs to carry them through. Jaffas coasted in the second half. Supposedly lots of young lads on the bench didn't see them on the field bar one - Thom Duugan. Maitland 20's are best team in the club. Forget the rest 18's and below are nothing short of pitiful. Poor leadership (coaching). Must be very hard to find quality local coaches and by the lack of crowd for first grade yesterday not many in maitland are too concerned about the best of what they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepatch View Post
    Energy and enthusiasm of Matt Thompson, Matt Trott and Matt Comerford are the only thing going for Maitland at present. Olympic can have their coach back and the "rejects". Very one dimensional coach. Organisation and structure revolve around Matt Thompson. They are not fit enough nor are there enough young legs to carry them through. Jaffas coasted in the second half. Supposedly lots of young lads on the bench didn't see them on the field bar one - Thom Duugan. Maitland 20's are best team in the club. Forget the rest 18's and below are nothing short of pitiful. Poor leadership (coaching). Must be very hard to find quality local coaches and by the lack of crowd for first grade yesterday not many in maitland are too concerned about the best of what they have to offer.
    Maybe you need to open your eyes regarding young players then Purplepatch. Maitland's side yesterday had Zac Thomas. Chris Fayers . James Thompson and Louis Townsend all starting who are all 19 or 20 year olds. And on the bench you had both Duggan brothers and Yates who are all 18 or 19. So that is 7 players out of a squad of 14 that were under 20. Jaffas coasted in the second half . Looked more on bartv like they hung on by their fingernails at the end of the game and Maitland finished all over the top of them.
    May have looked different to you live at the ground perhaps
    Last edited by ForeverBlack; 21-05-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlack View Post
    Maybe you need to open your eyes regarding young players then Purplepatch. Maitland's side yesterday had Zac Thomas. Chris Fayers . James Thompson and Louis Townsend all starting who are all 19 or 20 year olds. And on the bench you had both Duggan brothers and Yates who are all 18 or 19. So that is 7 players out of a squad of 14 that were under 20. Jaffas coasted in the second half . Looked more on bartv like they hung on by their fingernails at the end of the game and Maitland finished all over the top of them.
    May have looked different to you live at the ground perhaps
    Forever. I sincerely apologise. You are correct. Lots of young lads then. They probably need the likes of the three M's (Trott Thompson and Commerford) to help them around the park. More time on the park, more experience gained and mentoring provided by the senior lads then.

Crowd numbers have really dropped off over the last year or so. Something has surely caused this disconnection from the local community. I remember big crowds at home games a few years back but I have been twice this year and tiny crowd and no atmosphere except from screaming by certain Maitland players

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
    Crowd numbers have really dropped off over the last year or so. Something has surely caused this disconnection from the local community. I remember big crowds at home games a few years back but I have been twice this year and tiny crowd and no atmosphere except from screaming by certain Maitland players
    Agree with crowd numbers hamburgler. I think it's across the whole comp . Watched Jaffas Olympic last weekend and Edgy Lakes on Saturday and both hardly had anyone there. Possibly a mix of $10 entry fee and you can now watch every game on bartv ?

Hamburger you better ask Foreever Black. How many of those youngsters have come through the ranks of the maitland reserves and third grade. Not one. Some years ago when firsts team was truly a local team where the community connected to first grade. It must be hard to please them all and players move on. However Kelly (Adamstown) and Broadley (Magic) are still going strong and cant get a start at Maitland. Just imagine Broadley in the mix. Wow the community would be back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlack View Post
    Agree with crowd numbers hamburgler. I think it's across the whole comp . Watched Jaffas Olympic last weekend and Edgy Lakes on Saturday and both hardly had anyone there. Possibly a mix of $10 entry fee and you can now watch every game on bartv ?
    Agree. Agree. Five dollar concession is not bad but paying to take your car in.

Hamburger you better ask Foreever Black. How many of those youngsters have come through the ranks of the maitland reserves and third grade. Not one. Some years ago when firsts team was truly a local team where the community connected to first grade. It must be hard to please them all and players move on. However Kelly (Adamstown) and Broadley (Magic) are still going strong and cant get a start at Maitland. Just imagine Broadley in the mix. Wow the community would be back then.
    I agree, massive turnover at club over the last couple of years and even the young lads mentioned, 3 are new recruits and 2 went to club during 2017 I believe.

I agree, massive turnover at club over the last couple of years and even the young lads mentioned, 3 are new recruits and 2 went to club during 2017 I believe.
    Yeah massive turnover last 3 years. But you find this at all of the clubs that get promoted. Lakes , Valo , Adamstown all have had massive player turnover since winning promotion. Not many clubs can compete with the same squad that wins promotion, the gulf between npl and newfm.is ginormous.
    The same with demoted clubs. How many players are still at Southy from the side that got relegated a couple of years ago. They are all at Cooks Hill now aren't they

Couldn't tell you how many of them have came through the juniors. Maitland juniors have been poor for years and a lot of kids from the area head to the big lights i town or to Weston. I think James Thompson and Chris Fayers are local boys. Hopefully this means local boys are coming back to the club.
    As for Broadley and Kelly , pretty sure they were moved on under Piggo. Probably leading to his departure

Yeah I was surprised by the lack of numbers at the Maitland v Lambton game. The few people around me mostly seemed to be going for Lambton as well.

Hearing Cavaliere to NPL1 Victorian side this week. Edgy can only replace with an existing player until PPS window opens 25th June.

Sour grapes mate, son not getting a gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Maradona View Post
    Hearing Cavaliere to NPL1 Victorian side this week. Edgy can only replace with an existing player until PPS window opens 25th June.
    Yep confirmed in the Herald
    What is it with Edgy and blooding players for Vic NPL
    I suppose success leads to opportunities and good luck to Nate and all players wanting to look to better themselves
    Coach Zane is a youth man and has had young Low there for a few seasons now, getting him ready for this opportunity
    So no problems, but Nate will be hard to replace

Another player exit at Olympic
    Shaun Pratt too Maitland

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
    Another player exit at Olympic
    Shaun Pratt too Maitland
    Probably not impressed with playing u 20s like he was last week

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Yep confirmed in the Herald
    What is it with Edgy and blooding players for Vic NPL
    I suppose success leads to opportunities and good luck to Nate and all players wanting to look to better themselves
    Coach Zane is a youth man and has had young Low there for a few seasons now, getting him ready for this opportunity
    So no problems, but Nate will be hard to replace
    Jim Foley was the youth man, not Zane. Foley brought youth to Edgeworth, that was Edgy's idea of youth development.