Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Zone League 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by XRanger View Post
    Lol, he’s a beast
    that almost finishes a few teams on the edge of the 4
    Makes it very difficult for Maryhand and Stocko. Although still 5 to play I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheball View Post
    Makes it very difficult for Maryhand and Stocko. Although still 5 to play I believe
    We have to play both teams over coming rounds having narrowly beat Stocko and only getting a draw against Maryland in the first round we know they will be tough games especially with them fighting for top 4

Results from the Uni - Azzurri game?

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Results from the Uni - Azzurri game?
    Thirds 3-1 Azz
    Ressies 1-1
    Firsts 3-0 Azz

Garden Suburb V Stockton

Thirds
    4-3

Reserves
    3-0

First
    0-3 (0-0)
    Suburb down to 10 from just before half time

Wallsend vs Terrace
    3rds 2-3
    Res. 3-2
    1st. 0-3

Morisset first grade pickup their first win of the season over Maryland.

1-0

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball Enthusiast View Post
    Morisset first grade pickup their first win of the season over Maryland.

1-0

Maryland making it hard for themselves, 2 losses on the trot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicktheball View Post
    Maryland making it hard for themselves, 2 losses on the trot.
    I feel Maryland have done well to do as well as they have this year, but I think it’s gonna be between Westlakes and Stockton for 4th, I feel Azzurri will breeze in quietly. If Stockton can get back to full strength and knock over Westlakes, I’d have to back em in. The lower grades are getting very interesting with some of the results over the last few weekends

Quote Originally Posted by XRanger View Post
    I feel Maryland have done well to do as well as they have this year, but I think it’s gonna be between Westlakes and Stockton for 4th, I feel Azzurri will breeze in quietly. If Stockton can get back to full strength and knock over Westlakes, I’d have to back em in. The lower grades are getting very interesting with some of the results over the last few weekends
    Azzuri certainly aren’t safe, all it takes is a loss and a draw

Purely tongue in cheek, Dudley only team to beat Azzuri last yr in league 3. Running last this yr and Azzuri 3rd (well done by the way) does that mean the bottom of league 3 can compete with the top 4 in league 1?
    In all seriousness though, I am not surprised at Azzuri success, I did think Wallsend may feature higher. Terrace need to look at ZPL, fluffed around with how many titles in L2 before going up to L1 and winning it??? What's holding them back from further promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Charman View Post
    Purely tongue in cheek, Dudley only team to beat Azzuri last yr in league 3. Running last this yr and Azzuri 3rd (well done by the way) does that mean the bottom of league 3 can compete with the top 4 in league 1?
    In all seriousness though, I am not surprised at Azzuri success, I did think Wallsend may feature higher. Terrace need to look at ZPL, fluffed around with how many titles in L2 before going up to L1 and winning it??? What's holding them back from further promotion?
    Terrace are yet to win League 1 they have finished 2nd or 3rd in the past two years but have won the GF both those years. So not winning league 1 would be the major factor in not being promoted further.

100% agree, Terrace should be playing in ZPL. They did apply for promotion this year but unlike other years no other team opted to come down from ZPL, which meant only Barnsley got automatic promotion from finishing 1st. Regardless on how they finish this year, I’d say promotion will be the aim with all grades competing well this year.

To be fair, none of the teams in league 2 or 3 are up to the quality of the top 4 in league 1, the gap is large. Will be interesting to see who comes up this year, and see if they can survive without being dropped. Evident that terrace will be promoted this year, to much fire power. They deserve to be promoted.

Not sure about evident that Terrace will be promoted, 1st place is the only guarantee of that and the race for that is hung perfectly in the balance.
    Cooks Hill's lower grades have pretty much been on par with Terrace's (only looking at the tables) and it has been neck and neck all season in first grade between the two. Terrace obviously have a few more goals in them but winning by 1 or 5 doesn't make too much difference.

My personal opinion only, from the two games we've had against each, I have thought that Cookers were the better side - but either/both would be deserving winners of promotion and should offer a lot to ZPL in all grades.

The finals run in...

Terrace
    Suburb
    Cookers
    Morisset
    Uni

Cookers
    Wallsend
    Terrace
    Uni
    Fletcher

Battle for Premiers
    I expect each of these teams to win the other three fixtures (although Cooks Hill will have to earn their points), leaving the head to head match as a potential title decider, as Terrace are only two points clear currently. Great way for it to be decided if it does come down to that.

Best of the Rest
    Azzurri
    Fletcher
    Stockton
    Suburb
    Morisset

A couple of crucial fixtures first up for Azzurri as they try to hold on to third place and a finals berth in their debut season. If they can win these two games they should be home free.

Westlakes
    Uni
    Fletcher
    Stockton
    Suburb

A very similar fixture list for currently 4th place Westlakes who have sprung up the table over the second half of the season with some impressive results. Again, big matches against Fletcher and Stockton, although all four matches will be tough and could prove pivotal.

Stockton
    Morisset
    Azzurri
    Westlakes
    Wallsend

Stockton have been curious this season, at times looking like contenders but perhaps lacking consistency or depth other weeks. Should beat Morisset and Wallsend to keep the pressure on 3rd and 4th, and getting a result against either in the other games could really make things interesting.

Fletcher
    Azzurri
    Westlakes
    Wallsend
    Cookers

A tough run in for Fletcher who are also coming off a couple of losses. It might be a leap too far for them, playing 3 of the current top 4 in the run in. But if they are to make the finals they will have well and truly earned it.

I think as others have tipped, top 3 will remain the same and Stockton and Westlakes to battle for 4th place.

Nice post Macca, I enjoyed reading the depth of thought that went in.

Sure has shaped up to be a cracking finish to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaded Keeper View Post
    Nice post Macca, I enjoyed reading the depth of thought that went in.

Sure has shaped up to be a cracking finish to the season.
    Cheers mate, was curious to look how each of the teams were looking on the run in and thought I may as well share what I found. Glad you enjoyed.

Stockton over Morriset
    Terrace over Suburbs
    Azzuri over Maryland
    Cookers over Wallsend
    Uni v Westlakes - DRAW

Raymond Terrace v Garden Suburb

Third
    1-2

Reserves
    0-2

First
    3-0