Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RodrĂ*guez OUT

RodrĂ*guez OUT

seriously, the bloke has scored zero goals. zero assists (the only stat that matterz).
    have heard he hasnt even been assed to come to training.

cant have such a lazy player in our squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

His Dad Milton speaks for him... get off him sir.....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Patito patato. Let's call the whole thing off.

another Middleby folly.

typical signing from Tinkler and his henchmen. saw a latino name and played the stereotype.

middleby OUT
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

He doesn't even have multi on the Foz ffs. Totally unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    zero assists (the only stat that matterz).
    I saw an article that referred to 'secondary assists' the other day. pretty sure he doesn't have any of them either.

I've been listening to pods refer to xG, or expected goals. Seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Come on stats man, get on board, xG is a great stat.
    Read a Guardian half-season A-League review article yesterday though that completely misinterpreted the stat (actually a derivative of it, xGD) and drew opposite conclusions from it which was fairly humorous to read.

Don't Hoff lovers credit him with the pass before the pass all the time?
    OK

Since this day I have only cared for one stat (the top one funnily enough):

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Since this day I have only cared for one stat (the top one funnily enough):

Fair point and you are not alone. But if the end score is all that matters why watch the game? Look up the final score and you should get the same experience as watching, right?

Soccer is a pretty hard game to try and quantify but even the simple stats lower down in that image paint a rudimentary picture of how the game went. They should be considered as some colouring in of the outline that the score tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Fair point and you are not alone. But if the end score is all that matters why watch the game? Look up the final score and you should get the same experience as watching, right?

Soccer is a pretty hard game to try and quantify but even the simple stats lower down in that image paint a rudimentary picture of how the game went. They should be considered as some colouring in of the outline that the score tells you.
    The other stats and contexts are important because you get to attempt to judge how successful it would be to maintain in the short and long term, and how reproducible results are based on how you achieved them.

Spira once singlehandedly shut Messi out of a game in the 08 Olympics. Does that make Spira a better player than Messi? I still argue yes..... ops:
    OK

stats are dumb in soccer because they somehow have led us to the conclusion that its either Messi or Ronaldo.

and its not.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

expected goals is the feeling i had when i saw Griffs name on the team sheet.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Come on stats man, get on board, xG is a great stat.
    Read a Guardian half-season A-League review article yesterday though that completely misinterpreted the stat (actually a derivative of it, xGD) and drew opposite conclusions from it which was fairly humorous to read.
    can someone legit explain it to me please.
    Seems like I am WRONG

can someone legit explain it to me please.
    Expected goals? My understanding...

Different people have built their own models of it which give slightly different end results. But the concept of it is to quantify a team's performance in a way that provides long term "on average" relevance. A team can win 3-0 but get battered all game and nick a few scrappy goal mouth goals off set pieces - in cases such as this, the scoreline is not a good reflection of performance, merely the result. Expected goals tackles the problem by looking at each of the "chances" that a team had during a game, but assessing the quality of them not just quantity. How each model determines the quality of each chance is where the difficulty lies but its a great concept. Quality is usually analysed by things like position on the field from where the chance was taken, proximity to goal, was it a one on one or was it from a corner, header etc

An example of how it can be useful - hypothetical game where each team has 10 shots, 3 shots on target, game finishes 1-1. According to these stats, the game seems fairly even.
    However - team A had a penalty and two one-on-one's saved, with a couple of tap-ins butchered. Based on how good their chances where, Brainiac's (tm) model predicts they could (on average, over a season) have expected to have scored 4 goals if that game was played out identically time and again.
    team B had a scrappy goal and a couple of nothing shots on target from 30m and were largely ineffective in attack - their xG for the game is 0.6.

Comparing these stats we see that team A's finishing was well below par - they created enough good chances to wrap the game up easily but were unable to do so. While team B were not able to create a lot of good chances, but were able to get a goal anyhow.

You can also look at the stat for a player (ie striker) to look at how good a finisher they are. I remember reading that Harry Kane is well outperforming his expected goals - meaning he's able to score tough chances etc above what would be expected. You would think that a lot of top strikers would manage to exceed their xG, although an exception might be Cavani who is notorious for spurning a heap of chances. So while he might score the same amount of goals, he would have a lot higher expected goals amount than others.
    Last edited by Macca; 05-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Different people have built their own models of it which give slightly different end results. But the concept of it is to quantify a team's performance in a way that provides long term "on average" relevance. A team can win 3-0 but get battered all game and nick a few scrappy goal mouth goals off set pieces - in cases such as this, the scoreline is not a good reflection of performance, merely the result. Expected goals tackles the problem by looking at each of the "chances" that a team had during a game, but assessing the quality of them not just quantity. How each model determines the quality of each chance is where the difficulty lies but its a great concept. Quality is usually analysed by things like position on the field from where the chance was taken, proximity to goal, was it a one on one or was it from a corner, header etc
    An example of how it can be useful - hypothetical game where each team has 10 shots, 3 shots on target, game finishes 1-1. According to these stats, the game seems fairly even.
    However - team A had a penalty and two one-on-one's saved, with a couple of tap-ins butchered. Based on how good their chances where, Brainiac's (tm) model predicts they could (on average, over a season) have expected to have scored 4 goals if that game was played out identically time and again.
    team B had a scrappy goal and a couple of nothing shots on target from 30m and were largely ineffective in attack - their xG for the game is 0.6.

Comparing these stats we see that team A's finishing was well below par - they created enough good chances to wrap the game up easily but were unable to do so. While team B were not able to create a lot of good chances, but were able to get a goal anyhow.

You can also look at the stat for a player (ie striker) to look at how good a finisher they are. I remember reading that Harry Kane is well outperforming his expected goals - meaning he's able to score tough chances etc above what would be expected. You would think that a lot of top strikers would manage to exceed their xG, although an exception might be Cavani who is notorious for spurning a heap of chances. So while he might score the same amount of goals, he would have a lot higher expected goals amount than others.
    cheers, and my following smart ass response is not directed at you.

but

so what youre saying is that someone watches a game and determines whether a team is essentially 'lucky' or 'unlucky' in front of goal. they then write that answer down in a fancy numeric term for someone else to decipher that number back out to mean 'lucky' or 'unlucky'.

so who benefits from knowing this stat? fans who cant be assed watching the game? to be honest they are better just saying 'lucky' or 'unlucky' to the average fan as it would make more sense.

opposition coaches only reading stats deserve to get the ass whopping that would follow not actually watching the other team play.

maybe gamblers? i could see it being a quick way to gloss over games to get a better idea on who to include in a fruitless 5 leg multi.

but man, it just continually amazes me the effort and trust people place in these type of stats as some way to seem more 'sockah woke' than the next guy.

and yeah im talking about americans, they love this shit. but they are mostly overweight and stupid people.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    expected goals is the feeling i had when i saw Griffs name on the team sheet.
    I thought it also works in reverse too

When Bert names Boogaard in the team

Expected goals for the opposition rise as well

Is the data normalised for bookmaker influence upon players performances? Jokes aside is their an algorithm for these calculations or is it like Time-form with horse racing where they essentially make it up as they go along - then market the crap out of it to make it sound scientific?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 05-01-2018 at 11:58 AM.

I'm just substituting 'Nabbout' for Cavani as I read that...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...