Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Next game...

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Bloke is unfit

Going to take 2 months to get him up to speed

But when we do .....

Watch him go
    I don’t think it had anything to do with fitness. He just isn’t interested in tracking back. At all.

That’s ok if we can counter that by backing his defensive duties up with someone else, but I think it will cost us a few goals when he plays overall

How fxxxing great is it watching Ben Kennedy concede goals now. I love it. I particularly enjoyed when Potato went one on one with him, and BK just sat down.
    OK

Pato was told by Merrick to pace himself. He could afford to be an outlet wide left when we had the man advantage. He also stretched defence by hanging out there. I had absolutely no problem with him doing what he did after arriving in the country in a heat wave and limited preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Hmmm...I think we've avoided the spoon.

So, is this just derby debuts?
    If 4 players have scored on debut for the Jets this season, that's got to be close to some sort of club or A-League record
    for a season, wouldn't it?
    Just Derby - Roy, Dimi, Joey, Pato

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I don’t think it had anything to do with fitness. He just isn’t interested in tracking back. At all.

That’s ok if we can counter that by backing his defensive duties up with someone else, but I think it will cost us a few goals when he plays overall
    I think you will find even in 3 months time he ain't going to be great on the tracking back

The fitness thing is a definite thing though

There were many times when we would switch the ball to him. and he had acres of space to run into and the bloke just pulled up and decided he was going to pass

We are talking about situation where the pass ain't on as it time to attack

He has barely played for his Greek club this season so it no great surprise he short of fitness

Give it another 2 months though and he should be up to speed

Then watch out

I’m surprised at the criticism of Rodriguez. There were several times he was back at our byline helping get the ball out, and there were times when he put the effort in to close down defenders or BK. Merrick said afterward he was only going to give him 20mins but ended up giving him double because we were so poor. Overall, I’d say he performed precisely to what Merrick wanted and then some. One of the best debuts/cameos by an import that I can remember in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I’m surprised at the criticism of Rodriguez. There were several times he was back at our byline helping get the ball out, and there were times when he put the effort in to close down defenders or BK. Merrick said afterward he was only going to give him 20mins but ended up giving him double because we were so poor. Overall, I’d say he performed precisely to what Merrick wanted and then some. One of the best debuts/cameos by an import that I can remember in quite a while.
    Agree, thought he was excellent. Most of the times when he wasn't tracking back (from what I saw) it was because he'd just been leading the press out the front. He did track a few fullback runs forward. I think it will take a few games and sessions for both us to get used to how he plays and vice versa. He clearly likes sticking to the touchline and creating that space for himself (which is a common tactic for wingers in many teams), either he will be instructed differently or Ernie will have to come up with a better way of using that. He looks a real threat near the box, has good anticipation (his goal, and nearly pinched another one or two similarly) and can do a bit of playmaking. Bit of a contrast to Joey, who is still learning his trade, but is very direct and just gets the ball and runs at the fullback every time.

We will know more by the weekend, and hopefully he's fit enough to get the majority of a game out of him with Champness now gone.

edit: and also Vujica / whoever else is left back will need to acclimatise to how he plays and how to play off him
    Last edited by Macca; 10-01-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    I’m surprised at the criticism of Rodriguez.
    Way too early to peg him yet. Scored & helped keep a clean sheet. Waitnsee.

Brown started ok then fell down the well.

Are we the first club in the A-League to have a Rodriguez score on debut twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Are we the first club in the A-League to have a Rodriguez score on debut twice?
    Tweet Andy Howe and ask if we're the first club to have two players with the same surname score on debut. He'd know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles