View Poll Results: Do you think a home game should be allocated to a regional centre every year?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes great idea

4 20.00%
  • No definitely not

2 10.00%
  • No but okay for pre-season

13 65.00%
  • Don't care either way (slobs)

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing A-League Games in Regional areas

Playing A-League Games in Regional areas

Righto want to open this up for discussion, there has been some opinions expressed in other threads about the Jan 27th game against Mel City being played in Coffs Harbour. Don't want to dwell on that too much as it would appear that it is locked in and some will go up and support it, others may not but what about in future seasons? Are you happy to lose a home game at Hunter Stadium every season in order to give a regional center like Coffs Harbour a chance to watch an A-League game live?
    Personally, we only get 13-14 home games a season, I have no problem in pre-season trial games being taken to Coffs or Port Macquarie but call me selfish but I feel all our home games should be played here at our home ground at Hunter Stadium.

I think if we want to spread the game, it wouldnt be a bad idea for all teams to play one round in a regional venue. Understand that some wouldnt like this though.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Jets should play all their games at regional venues - preferably interstate ones.
    Adelaide should play all their home fixtures in Newcastle so we can see what a real team looks like.

When it's used to build better links with the federation which will help build better crowds through getting the grassroots to games then I'm all for it.

Club promised this as part of the charm offensive last preseason as a result of the charm offensive the relationship with nnsw improved and a number of Newcastle junior clubs are now part of a memebership drive.

I'm not a fan of the Bathurst experiment but keeping aleague clubs connected to their football communities is important for the club and the code.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Jets should play all their games at regional venues - preferably interstate ones.
    Adelaide should play all their home fixtures in Newcastle so we can see what a real team looks like.
    Can there ever be a Thread where we can have sensible, constructive engagement and discussion related to the topic without someone basically talking s.hit?

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Can there ever be a Thread where we can have sensible, constructive engagement and discussion related to the topic without someone basically talking s.hit?
    yeah sure, i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    I think if we want to spread the game, it wouldnt be a bad idea for all teams to play one round in a regional venue. Understand that some wouldnt like this though.
    are any of you blokes more closely connected to the club aware of what 'community engagement' goes on at these regional games?

im all for it if the senior team are doing clinics/school visits/open training sessions etc in the lead up to the game and actually being a presence in the community (and "brand building").
    if they are just rocking up on game day for a kick then back home then it seems like a bit of a waste.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Not sure The Dunster was talking shit, I think it was just his way to reinforce that he voted for the blue option.........
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Playing in NNSW regional centres looks bad on FOX. Awful looking grounds (Half empty) which make us look like amateurs.......Even in Scottish league 2 they got better grounds (Not talking about the pitch).
    Dare to Zlatan

Banned
    I was at least consistent in my argument.

I thought it was a shit idea and expressed it before the fixture was officially announced.

I not like the rest of the bandwagon jumpers who now getting on board because they might miss out on seeing Timmy play

It's a joke of an idea. Connecting with NNSW??? FFS the club can't connect with NEWY

Be interested to see how many of the brass from Northern have a junket in Coffs over the Australia Day period at the expense of the Federation

Absolute joke

I not like the rest of the bandwagon jumpers who now getting on board because they might miss out on seeing Timmy play
    It's a joke of an idea TRUE Absolute joke TRUE
    I will see Timmy (In a yellow jersey) in Melbourne on 11/10/2016......And I much prefer that option
    Dare to Zlatan

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    are any of you blokes more closely connected to the club aware of what 'community engagement' goes on at these regional games?

im all for it if the senior team are doing clinics/school visits/open training sessions etc in the lead up to the game and actually being a presence in the community (and "brand building").
    if they are just rocking up on game day for a kick then back home then it seems like a bit of a waste.
    This 100%

I would prefer we play a couple of games pre-season in the regional areas and as plague suggests have the team out and about engaging in the community.

Okay we have had to give up a home game at Hunter Stadium in order to help "grow" the game in regional areas, the fact is that this game is scheduled for Friday evening meaning we just have 2 other home evening games at our home ground.
    If this is to become a yearly event, may I suggest in future giving Hunter Stadium an extra evening game and having the regional game played on a Saturday afternoon. I don't think many people will travel to Coffs on a Friday, yes it is the day after Australia Day and probably a lot of people will be off work but for those who are working....if you work till 4pm and later, you will have buckleys of making it to the game on time.
    Saturday is much better and gives people the option to stay the night if they wish, unlike if the game was on a Sunday.

The decision was obviously made months ago by a so-called "interim CEO" who made the decision but not once in his tenure made an effort to engage with supporters.

I can confirm I will NOT travel to Coffs
    Dare to Zlatan

For the Bathurst game both clubs spent almost a week in town prior to the match visiting schools, running clinics, kissing babies etc

I would expect similar in coffs and no excuse for it not happening given the facilities that exist.

I agree with the bandwagon haters of this that the "Timmy" game shouldnt be the one that's moved, but 1. The decision was made prior to, 2. It was based in the timing of the match, not just the opponent and 3. Verschelden will appear again in newy sometime.

If people can't see the politics behind this and the long term benefits for both the club and the code there's nothing I can point out to demonstrate this other that the north hill being full when the "junior club memberships" program was launched - a program now expanded across Newcastle. A program reflective of the greater cooperation between the club and the federation.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    For the Bathurst game both clubs spent almost a week in town prior to the match visiting schools, running clinics, kissing babies etc

I would expect similar in coffs and no excuse for it not happening given the facilities that exist.

I agree with the bandwagon haters of this that the "Timmy" game shouldnt be the one that's moved, but 1. The decision was made prior to, 2. It was based in the timing of the match, not just the opponent and 3. Verschelden will appear again in newy sometime.

If people can't see the politics behind this and the long term benefits for both the club and the code there's nothing I can point out to demonstrate this other that the north hill being full when the "junior club memberships" program was launched - a program now expanded across Newcastle. A program reflective of the greater cooperation between the club and the federation.
    Just a question Gaz, do you think having it on a Friday evening on Jan 27th was the best option to maximise the potential for having the biggest crowd possible?
    Or as I have suggested a Saturday afternoon would have been better suited for Coffs, looking at the draw for Saturday games season 16/17 we have:
    29 Oct v SFC
    11 Feb v Victory
    1 Apr v WSW

1 Apr v WSW
    If we had to have a game in Coffs then best option by far......April's fool day
    Dare to Zlatan

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    If we had to have a game in Coffs then best option by far......April's fool day
    Would be a great experience too for the locals as I bet they have never experienced the sights and sounds that only the Wanderers ultra-wannabes can provide

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    many home fans wouldnt like it but in the best interests of the game.....

The Afl do it and we know they are always in front on game growth. btw We've a gypo game added to the season tik. Should be Syd as well
    Last edited by hawk; 17-07-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Just a question Gaz, do you think having it on a Friday evening on Jan 27th was the best option to maximise the potential for having the biggest crowd possible?
    Or as I have suggested a Saturday afternoon would have been better suited for Coffs, looking at the draw for Saturday games season 16/17 we have:
    29 Oct v SFC
    11 Feb v Victory
    1 Apr v WSW
    Three oppositions who travel well.
    They'd not be giving up an "away" crowd in those numbers.

I think the "at the end of" or the "in the middle of" the school holidays was probably the bigger determining factor.

I don't think the club have any power to move a game from Friday to Saturday.

FFA write the draw while sitting on Murray Shaw's lap (is he still the boss at fox?)

The club would then decide which to take away from Hunter stadium.
    You'd not take WSW, sydFC, Victree or a coastie match
    You'd look at the lowest drawing crowds in terms of opposition and time of season.

I've not studied the draw, but Heart, in school holidays, seems like a good pick.

Perth the round before might have been better - but at the time, (and maybe still) an understaffed club admin moving a game to Coffs two weeks after Christmas/new year might have been a bridge too far.

when it's all said and done, the more recent blow ups about this issue have come from the rumours cahill might be at city....and when this decision was locked in those rumours were even more tenuous than they still are.

To expect the club to not select this game because the opposition might sign someone of note is a bit rich, especially when looking at other factors I've mentioned and the only other suitable game might be Perth, with their squad? With taggart returning?
    Last edited by GazFish35; 17-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.