Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Football on TV & TV rights thread V2.0

Optus on Fetch is the best and most reliable of my providers, Fox blacks out in a storm and too much crap and ads if you go to the general channels.

My Fetch runs like clockwork at the resolution of my choosing and plenty of football on demand, minis, highlights, classics. Using the box over the app at full FTTP 100Mbps goodness helps.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I've not once had an issue with my Optus app, it's miles ahead of the Kayo one. So easy to find games, stats, cast, etc. Kayo app was obviously built to make you search through crap you don't care about in the hope you'll watch some of the other stuff they licence. It already feels a few years old and it was released after the Optus app one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    The Optus one was absolute dog shit when it launched and the WC (****, that feels a long time ago) was a tragedy. It's now miles ahead IMO.

Kayo just feels clunky navigating to what you want unless it's NRL or AFL which is plastered every****ingwhere.
    This reflects my experience and current thoughts, using both with a 4K HD Apple TV
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I have Foxtel with the Sports package in HD, Have the dish on the roof and have always been happy with the picture quality. On the few occasions i have used the Optus Sport App on my Samsung phone for the EPL and " mirrored " the image from my phone to my 50inch Full HD LED TV the picture quality has been terrible to the point i have just given up watching the EPL.

I am on the downside of half a century so gadgets are not my thing but i do know when i do a connection speed test on my phone WiFi'd to the house modem my speed is always 46-48 mbps and upload 17-19.

Should i be achieving a good picture on my TV via the App on my mobile ?.
    By "Mirrored", do you mean cast the screen via the app or mirror the entire phone onto the TV and then open the app? Because mirroring will give you terrible quality as the phones resolution is only stretched out over the larger TV screen, whereas casting will run the app at the TVs highest resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    By "Mirrored", do you mean cast the screen via the app or mirror the entire phone onto the TV and then open the app? Because mirroring will give you terrible quality as the phones resolution is only stretched out over the larger TV screen, whereas casting will run the app at the TVs highest resolution.
    Yep Mirrored as in the entire phone screen on the TV. So should going out and purchasing one of those Google Chromecast thingy's overcome this ?.

I hope everyone is using the 5ghz band for wi-fi and not the 2.4ghz band. The differences as far as video frame rate goes are huge.
    From what I understand, most phones default to 2.4ghz wi-fi which would mostly explain peoples issues wrt frame rate and so on.
    2.4ghz has enough bandwidth in theory but in reality it's so inefficient due to noise / interference that it's lucky to run at 10% of its spec.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 19-06-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Yep Mirrored as in the entire phone screen on the TV. So should going out and purchasing one of those Google Chromecast thingy's overcome this ?.
    Yep. OR an Apple TV.

I use both
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Yep. OR an Apple TV.

I use both
    Thank you for that, Next time i am out and near a retailer of one of these things i will grab one and give it a go.

You crazy younguns with your wireless technologies!

Until I had Fetch I plugged my Android phone into my TV using an MHL HDMI cable, cost a fiver - full HD. I think there is a similar Lightning cable for all the iSheep.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    You crazy younguns with your wireless technologies!

Until I had Fetch I plugged my Android phone into my TV using an MHL HDMI cable, cost a fiver - full HD. I think there is a similar Lightning cable for all the iSheep.

Thank you for that, Next time i am out and near a retailer of one of these things i will grab one and give it a go.
    I have Android products (phone etc) but I prefer the Apple TV as the primary means of viewing Optus and Kayo along with other catchup and streaming products.

I have Android products (phone etc) but I prefer the Apple TV as the primary means of viewing Optus and Kayo along with other catchup and streaming products.
    Same here. The Apple TV interface is very slick compared to the competition. Android is terrible when it comes to TV apps.

Deal has been struck apparently.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...df9da395f764fe

The A-League will remain on Fox Sports next season under the terms of a deal struck in principle between the broadcaster and Football Federation Australia.

Though lawyers still have to ratify the final document, the one-year agreement was reached after talks late into the night and continuing into Friday. It’s believed to involve a significant cut to the $57m due next year under the existing contract.

The new deal is on top of an agreement struck to show the games remaining this season, and brings the relationship between the two sides back from the brink of immediate divorce.

It remains to be seen whether the new deal still gives Fox Sports exclusivity over the vast majority of games, as the broadcaster currently has, and it’s understood that negotiations may continue over the seasons beyond next year.

The suspension of the A-League due to the coronavirus pandemic had given Foxtel, the owners of Fox Sports, the right to exit the seven year deal struck in 2016 worth $57m a year, and the company had signalled earlier this week that it intended to do so.

An invoice for nearly $15m sent by FFA to Fox on Monday – for the July-September quarter – appeared to have been the catalyst for the breakdown, with Fox removing all domestic football content from its website late on Wednesday.

But the replacement deal will allow the A-League clubs and FFA time to establish their own platform to broadcast games in the future, as well as give the clubs – and players – financial surety for the next year and a half.

In the short term it is the final piece in the puzzle for the A-League to resume just 26 days until the first game. The clubs resumed training this week for the first time since March, under strict medical protocols, with the first game of the planned resumption set down for July 16.

Foxtel declined to comment. FFA has been approached for comment.

So no more Fox. I wonder if we'll actually survive without that money... And now that the FFA can't pay each clubs enough to cover the salary cap, I wonder if this means the end of the salary cap entirely? That could be a good thing for some. It does mean that a huge amount of mediocre A league players will be getting either much smaller wages or not getting deals at all.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I'm happy for the A league to die and start afresh without FFA because at the moment it can't get much worse, they are killing the sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Apparently deal struck for this and next season but we play in winter. Goodbye Aleague
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Killing ?.. Gallop killed it just like every other sporting organisation he has overseen. Everything he has been involved in has turned to shit and only ever kept his positions through personal relationships not his professional ability. His stubbornness and nothing to see here operational style has been IMO the major reason as a product the A League is not worth a fifth of what it once was.

Throw in a FFA run protection racket for numptie officialdom week after week it is little wonder the A League has burnt through many supporters over the years.

Couldn't defend a traffic ticket in his real day job.
    Last edited by 380; 19-06-2020 at 07:07 PM.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...broadcast-deal

Guardian saying $32m for remainder of this season and next. Next season will be december to july. Seems like all football except ffa cup.

Really concerned with the move to play in winter. We can’t forget why we play in summer to begin with.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Really concerned with the move to play in winter. We can’t forget why we play in summer to begin with.
    Depends whether the NRL and AFL seasons go back to their usual start/finish or whether they decide to tweak their seasons timeframes as well.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Depends whether the NRL and AFL seasons go back to their usual start/finish or whether they decide to tweak their seasons timeframes as well.
    Assuming this is a long term thing, I can’t see either changing their general timeframe. With the World Cup next year, this will be what we are stuck with for the next few years.

I honestly hope I’m wrong, but I think this is a very poor decision and I hope they return to summer comp ASAP.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out