Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 637

Thread: Football on TV & TV rights thread V2.0

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,249


    It's difficult to imagine the lower paid players getting a better deal. Trickle down effects are a myth at best.

  2. #22
    Senior Member snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    810
    ^exactly

    even then, i think you'll find the minimum wage in the cap is pretty high, >50k. that's enough for the kids to live off.
    we will loose

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The artist formerly known as Cookers
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    ^exactly

    even then, i think you'll find the minimum wage in the cap is pretty high, >50k. that's enough for the kids to live off.
    It's not quite $50k ($39k for <20yo and $48k for >20yo this season, excluding match payments) but it's still bloody good money for any of the million teenagers we've signed up. Especially when it's essentially part time work. Compare it to some 20yo working full time in an accounting firm and doing uni part time, getting paid $35k a year and any complaints of players being underpaid are ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

  4. #24
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,648
    Most important thing I would like to see with the salary cap is not a raising of the level but a tweaking of the caps parameters to encourage junior development in this country.
    We need to purge the HAL of the hacks out there like Pantaledis, Nicky Ward, Wheelhouse, Hutcho, Elrich etc. The type of blokes who get paid 80-150k a year and contribute very little to the league.

    I would like it if we dropped the minimum wage from whatever it is to about 35k and also allowed the minimum spend to drop a little also to allow a club the option to play kids ala Gold Coast United last season rather than cobble together a squad of shite and employ the aforementioned nobodies on big dollars.

    We need to improve our yoof development and a little bit of regulation to force clubs hands this way may be what is needed.

    Ideally you should be getting the Salary Cap structured so we have 6-8 players earning great money ie Broich Archie Joel Griff Emmo Flores etc standard players to complement your ADP's Eskytime and Ono's and then start to fill the squads with young blokes like Goody Rogic Rojas etc on some reasonable money but not too much that they want to stay forever in Australia and then fill it with young kids to make up the rest of the squad getting paid 35k-40k eash to live the dream of making it as a pro player.

    At present it is obscene how much some of these journeyman players pilfer from the clubs for their employment at a HAL club
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,200
    What I still don't understand is how FFA agreed to a minimum wage & a salary floor that dont work together.

    If your going to have a salary floor & min wage and a min squad size, why is the salary floor, the minimum salary spend a club is allowed, greater then the min squad x min wage. Surely that is why some of these middle of the road players are earning overs, the clubs are forced to pay someone the extras they aren't worth just to meet the salary floor requirements, seems crazy to me.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    free game on sbs each week and there's no fury or gold coast to create a farcical game. here's hoping.

  7. #27
    Senior Member snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by Disinterested Bystander View Post
    It's not quite $50k ($39k for <20yo and $48k for >20yo this season, excluding match payments) but it's still bloody good money for any of the million teenagers we've signed up. Especially when it's essentially part time work. Compare it to some 20yo working full time in an accounting firm and doing uni part time, getting paid $35k a year and any complaints of players being underpaid are ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.
    cheers. could have sworn kanta was on 50k when he signed, and that was the minimum wage?
    we will loose

  8. #28
    brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,335

  9. #29
    Senior Member seldom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,622
    lol
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

  10. #30
    Senior Member leftrightout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Ideally you should be getting the Salary Cap structured so we have 6-8 players earning great money ie Broich Archie Joel Griff Emmo Flores etc standard players to complement your ADP's Eskytime and Ono's and then start to fill the squads with young blokes like Goody Rogic Rojas etc on some reasonable money but not too much that they want to stay forever in Australia

    I think the hardest thing with this is that there is not enough of these great young kids.
    We are lucky to have one in our squad!

    Yes there are alot of young players, but not enough of this quality!

  11. #31
    Senior Member MFKS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    KOTARA STH
    Posts
    14,648
    Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    I think the hardest thing with this is that there is not enough of these great young kids.
    We are lucky to have one in our squad!

    Yes there are alot of young players, but not enough of this quality!
    Part of a bigger problem with Yoof development across the board. Have a look at the 2 biggest clubs in the land Victory and Smurfs and neither can really say they have developed a player from Yoof to being a star in the HAL. These 2 clubs in particular have shown little interest in developing yoof at all. We were doing so under Egg first time before losing the plot with it under Culina Gypos have donme a good job in that front with Amini Rogic Ryan etc and the Roar have been a stand out on that front Tommy Oar, Zullo Sarota Kruse etc have pushed on from kids to Socceroos.

    To say the kids ain't out there is plain well wrong. They are they just don't really get given a go. Take our Socceroos for example. 2 weeks ago and we had a geriatric squad limping to Brazil with the dullest of futures. We play Sth Korea and all of a sudden Jimmy Balbalj Behich Rogic Ruka and Tommy Oar etc show us the future ain't that dull. They just need a chance.

    Change the structure to the HAL sides to encourage Yoof development and watch the kids start to come through. May be slow at first but as the clubs refine their processes and improve their staffs talents they quality of these kids will skyrocket. Throw in the occasional hefty transfer fee to an overseas club to encourage clubs down this road and we are well on our way to not only improving the quality of play across the board but also providing us with better quality players for our NT.

    It is a disgrace that kids in this country wait to 20-21 to break into a HAL side because the development arms of clubs are so poor. Elsewhere in the world they are breaking in at 17-18 years old.

    That is what SHOULD be the minimum standard from us also
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post

    Double-eff-aye should introduce a 3rd division and dump these ice addict welfare living scumbags straight there. dont even let them get their stink anywhere near 2nd division.

  12. #32
    Senior Member militiamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,627
    tbh footballers aren't paid that well nor are their conditions that great. Average $100,000 for 10 years maybe, then what? If you are unqualified in any other field then the best you can hope for is a full-time job in football. The percentage of players who actually manage to get these jobs is very low, it wouldn't surprise me if it was 1 - 5% of the players who are professional at 20.

    I can think of a few problems with the conditions as well. It's physically demanding, and if you pick up a serious injury early you could be ****ed, not just in football but for the rest of your life. Plus think about all the time you have to dedicate to it outside of the 4 days a week you're playing/training.


    Not saying that they should be paid more though, just making the point that as far as careers go it's not a very successful one for 99% of players.

  13. #33
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,656
    I'm a bit over the whole 'only got a 10 year career' argument though. We are lucky in this country that opportunities exist to go back to school, get mature age apprenticeships etc so people can change career through being forced to or via their own decision.
    Plenty of tradies etc from the BHP days and manufacturing industries had their careers ended so they got off their asses and changed tact.
    Sports people think that they are entitled to some sort of special preference.
    Of they go into a career in sports not knowing the limited chance of it being successful then that's their problem.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Why can't a young player in this country also be going to uni? (like many do, kanta, dapuzz, tim brown in nz).

    As others have said it's not exactly a full time job, there's ample time to study. Not many other people can say they're on 60k+ a year and doing a uni degree...
    Last edited by russjaybee; 21-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.

  15. #35
    ^^ Especially when the uni year runs from March to November...

  16. #36
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,244
    pretty sure all the jerks players get mentored through doing extra-curricular activites. think i remember reading that they were enrolling the young ones into courses etc. and i was at one of their trainings once & afterwards biraz was sat down by some lady & she was quizzing him on what schooling etc he had done already, and was chatting away about what he likes outside of football and if he can see a career in that etc.
    OK

  17. #37
    Senior Member militiamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,627
    Keep in mind those systems are only in place because of the problems in the past. Interestingly enough, Jets players make the most use out of the PFA education fund out of all the clubs in the A-League. Good job on the club for organising that (though it is also probably indicative of the amount of young players we have at the club as well).

    Anyway, my point remains that being a footballer is probably the shittest option for a career apart from a very, very small minority. If I were an 18 year old footballer who had the option of studying something that would lead to a well-paying professional career or a footballer, and my only concern was money, it would be an easy choice.

    And I agree plague, they do play football because that's what they want to do, but it's still no excuse for giving them a shit deal because of it. They are still the real workers of this game, they deserve to enjoy the benefits. That's why I can sympathise with the arguments made by the PFA about an increase in income should result in an increase to players wages, but obviously it's not as simple as that given the current financial situation of the league.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Keep in mind those systems are only in place because of the problems in the past. Interestingly enough, Jets players make the most use out of the PFA education fund out of all the clubs in the A-League. Good job on the club for organising that (though it is also probably indicative of the amount of young players we have at the club as well).

    Anyway, my point remains that being a footballer is probably the shittest option for a career apart from a very, very small minority. If I were an 18 year old footballer who had the option of studying something that would lead to a well-paying professional career or a footballer, and my only concern was money, it would be an easy choice.

    And I agree plague, they do play football because that's what they want to do, but it's still no excuse for giving them a shit deal because of it. They are still the real workers of this game, they deserve to enjoy the benefits. That's why I can sympathise with the arguments made by the PFA about an increase in income should result in an increase to players wages, but obviously it's not as simple as that given the current financial situation of the league.
    The problem I see is what about all those salary increase that have happened over the past 7 years, when the owners were losing money frequently and the TV deal was static.

    I don't think the PFA will go for a large slary increase any way, just look at the press releases they have been releasing....

    PFA Wins CBA Insurance Ruling

    The PFA has worked tirelessly to ensure that players receive all payments including their annual salary, match payments and superannuation even when injured.

    Insurance for all A-League players has been a key requirement of the CBA and the PFA has previously expressed its concern should FFA ever fail to implement its fundamental obligation to insure all A-League players under the CBA.
    Stability the Players' Priority

    Professional Footballers Australia (PFA), the exclusive representative body of A-League players, has restated its backing for the collectively bargained A-League agreement, describing the arrangement as pivotal to the success of the A-League and football in general in this country.

    CEO Nick Holland noted the surge in TV audiences and attendances at Hyundai A-League games this season and commented that “the marquee signings, along with all the A-League players, have undoubtedly increased the appetite for football in Australia. As responsible partners in the game, we need to ensure we build on the great work that is being done by all parties in growing the game. The game will continue to grow only if we provide a quality competition with a great atmosphere that engages the fans. ” Holland said.

    “The great start to the A-League season, combined with the restructuring of the competition to include the Western Sydney Wanderers, further reinforces the PFA’s long standing policy that quality, atmosphere, local clubs, engaging the community and increasing the visibility of the league are the key strategic pillars upon which the league and the game in general will build its success.”

    Holland went on to say “At this critical time it is paramount that the game can show a genuine and stable career path to continue to attract the best possible talent. This must manifest itself as an investment into areas such as player education and development and just as importantly, basic protections such as contract security and insurance in the event of injury. Taking care of these issues is vital not only for the players but will undoubtedly accelerate the success of football in this country.”

    What the players really seem to be lacking are the basic principles of having their contracts honoured , owners stop paying super at their pleasure, don't insure players properly, fold clubs leaving players out of pocket & that includes what the FFA does as an owner....

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,524
    Keep it the same for a few years. I'd rather see FFA put extra funds in the bank for a couple of years,improve things where necessary, but imo passing on >50% of the additional revenue would be careless. What happens if another club gets into financial difficulty (hey Tinks, how are your companies doing?) there will be funds available to keep clubs operating for enough time to find new owners.

  20. #40
    Senior Member militiamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    The problem I see is what about all those salary increase that have happened over the past 7 years, when the owners were losing money frequently and the TV deal was static.

    I don't think the PFA will go for a large slary increase any way, just look at the press releases they have been releasing....




    What the players really seem to be lacking are the basic principles of having their contracts honoured , owners stop paying super at their pleasure, don't insure players properly, fold clubs leaving players out of pocket & that includes what the FFA does as an owner....
    Great point and I agree with your comments.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •