Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Asian Champions League campaign (featuring Newcastle Jets)

2019 Asian Champions League campaign (featuring Newcastle Jets)

I am very happy for Mr Lee.

So who should our three visa players be? Are Vargas and Potato really that good? I'd rather ditch one of them and have the Irishman and Georgievski.

Will Mr Lee be able to get a decent Chinese player for once? (Probably not, as they're too well paid.) Do we need a +1 AFC player anyway?

Daniel G is dual citizenship. Id be getting rid of Pato. But if Victory win I dont think we qualify yet

Will the AFC reassess its criteria and remove the A-League's two automatic qualifying spots? Do we now have only a playoff spot?

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    But if Victory win I dont think we qualify yet
    No, if Victory win, they are 12 points behind with four games left. Our goal difference is +20 compared with theirs. They'd need to win every game with an average winning margin of five goals. (Assuming we don't get pounded.)

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    Will the AFC reassess its criteria and remove the A-League's two automatic qualifying spots? Do we now have only a playoff spot?
    No change till 2019/20.

And lets see what our squad is before working out the ACL squad.

You get ahead of yourself Gary.

can somebody actually point me to the criteria? i thought it was one to the premier and one to the champion. if the premier is also the champion, then the other grand final team gets the second position.

I thought the league winners are automatic and the Gf winners are automatic ACL qualifiers.
    If league winners also win gf then 2nd placed team in league goes though to acl.

Source: Off the cuff speculation

Delete this thread. Lawrie confirmed to a fan we can't qualify in second unless Sydney loss Gf

wikipedia suggests second place, even if they don't make the GF, are through to the preliminary play-off round.

This is from the relevant document (the AFC's Entry Manual for the champions league).

12.Sporting Criteria

12.1. To meet the sporting criteria, a club must have earned one (1) of the following
    (which shall be utilised in descending order for seeding purposes for any draw):

12.1.1. winner of the national top division league;
    12.1.2. winner of the national knock-out cup;
    12.1.3. runner-up of the national top division league;
    121.4. third-place of the national top division league.

12.2. Where an MA has more than one (1) national knock-out cup, it shall inform the AFC
    and its clubs of the 'national knock-out cup' for the purposes of Article 12.1.
    So I think the A-League informed the AFC that our 'national knock-out cup' is in fact the finals series (not the FFA Cup). Which means I may have started this thread prematurely.

Sorry.

Close the thread. Don't tempt fate
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

From media I read today it was stated that the only way we don't get an ACL spot is if we lose the home final, and the team that beats us wins the GF.

From that, I'm assuming people are saying Sydney gain a spot based on them being Premiers (not a sure thing after the weekends loss), and then it will be the highest placed team from the season who ISN'T Sydney. Ie, whoever finished 2nd if they finish 1st.

This whole thing is way too confusing

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKplunk View Post
    From media I read today it was stated that the only way we don't get an ACL spot is if we lose the home final, and the team that beats us wins the GF.

From that, I'm assuming people are saying Sydney gain a spot based on them being Premiers (not a sure thing after the weekends loss), and then it will be the highest placed team from the season who ISN'T Sydney. Ie, whoever finished 2nd if they finish 1st.

This whole thing is way too confusing
    My understanding is whoever finishes the season in 1st place gets and automatic ACL spot.

The 2nd Automatic ACL is for the winner of the Grand final. If the team who wins the GF is the same team who finished 1st in the league it goes to the runner up in the GF.

The play off spot goes to the highest finishing team on the ladder who hasn't already qualified for the ACL. So if 2nd place makes the GF then the play off spot goes to 3rd place, if 2nd fails to make the GF then they would get the play off spot as a consolation.

My expertise are limited to long walks and the study of precious rings so I could still be wrong on this whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    My expertise are limited to long walks and the study of precious rings so I could still be wrong on this whole thing.
    You talking about the one ring, or Mr Gamgee?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    My understanding is whoever finishes the season in 1st place gets and automatic ACL spot.

The 2nd Automatic ACL is for the winner of the Grand final. If the team who wins the GF is the same team who finished 1st in the league it goes to the runner up in the GF.

The play off spot goes to the highest finishing team on the ladder who hasn't already qualified for the ACL. So if 2nd place makes the GF then the play off spot goes to 3rd place, if 2nd fails to make the GF then they would get the play off spot as a consolation.

I think your spot on here Frodo
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Delete this shit please

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Delete this shit please
    La Bazz's number of posts shows they have experience and should be listened to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Frodo I honestly only skim read your post but I think it is this:

Premiers = 1 spot
    Champions = 1 spot
    If premiers=champions = 2nd place gets 1 spot
    There is a remaining 0.5 spot for the next highest on the ladder.

So if we confirm 2nd place, we are guarenteed at least the 0.5 spot
    OK

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    La Bazz's number of posts shows they have experience and should be listened to.
    his post count makes me think of boobs