Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 17/18 HAL Grand Final | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory | Sat 5th May 2018 750pm

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    The goal stands if we're in a non-VAR world.
    This is where it becomes even more grey though. If it's true that the linesmen were told to keep their flag down on line-ball calls so VAR could rule correctly, he may have thrown it up if there was no VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    If it's true that the linesmen were told to keep their flag down on line-ball calls so VAR could rule correctly, he may have thrown it up if there was no VAR.
    I hadn't heard that, so yes, it adds an additional element.

Essentially the rules, mistakes, interpretations and reliability of VAR is building built as it is being used - the equivalent of building the plane while you're flying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    This is where it becomes even more grey though. If it's true that the linesmen were told to keep their flag down on line-ball calls so VAR could rule correctly, he may have thrown it up if there was no VAR.
    He may have or he may not have.
    This is the difference between human and technical error though.

Human error you can get mad about but then forgive.
    Technical error should never happen. There should always be a fail safe, that's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKplunk View Post
    He may have or he may not have.
    This is the difference between human and technical error though.

Human error you can get mad about but then forgive.
    Technical error should never happen. There should always be a fail safe, that's just common sense.
    I totally agree. I've just seen a few people say if VAR wasn't around, then the goal would have stood, which may not be 100% correct. We won't ever know unless the lino comes out publicly and says it (which he shouldn't, and I don't want him to).

If you look at the pic..

* the linesman is dead level and in position

* he is about 20 metres away

* there are THREE players offside

* they are all on the linesman's side of play

* one of those players has bleached hair and cannot be missed

The question has to be why has he not flagged? He surely could not miss three players. Was he told to keep it down and leave offsides to VAR? If so, who gave that directive?

When the equipment had failed Zetter or Gillet could have asked him if he originally saw an offside in seconds - but "officially", they are not meant to keep their flag down for that reason. I am convinced if there was no VAR on the night he would have flagged.

The game is gone but there needs to be an enquiry into what actually happened in that one minute period, a fully transparent explanation given and penalties to those responsible. I think this is the kind of action Ronny and George are alluding to by saying "sorry" isn't enough.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 07-05-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Outwitted??

Muscats tactics kept the score at 0-0. How does that mean he outwitted us?

I know you are trying to play up the "Member disagrees with everything" schtick you have going on, but Victory didn't play well on Saturday. They couldn't pass well, they didn't beat us on the counter much at all considering we were in all out attack mode for 80 minutes, they defended well but only inside their own box. I can't see how you can praise them for anything other than Thomas having a blinder in goals (which isn't really Muscats fault), fouling us into submission and then riding their luck.

The fact that we joined in on the shitty tackles and then stopped playing our game is a massive negative. But that can't be attributed to Victards and Muscat. We were maybe naive thinking that playing better than them for 90 minutes would win us the game, but Ernie set us up well enough to win.

They got lucky and we didn't deal with the niggle and long ball style of game well enough.
    Dont for a second think i just disagreeing for the sake of it.I genuinely believe thatMus**** outwitted Ernie

He knew perfectly well how Bert wanted to play
    He had some weapons to play that way against us but chose not to
    He dragged the game to a place we were not good at and then beat us at it.

There are many ways to skin a cat and he chose his way to win

Mus**** could have set Victree up to go toe to toe with us throwing the big ones
    In Berisha Barbarousis Plagues mate and Troisi he had the artillery to do so

But he chose to not go there.

He chose to turn it into a grind and backed his side to be better at it than us.
    They were.

If things had of turned to shit he could easily have chosen to take the brakes off and unleashed the big names asnd stretched the game and gambled to get back in it that way

Everyone keeps hammering on about there goal keeper. Sure he made a couple of great saves and was a deserving MoM for coming up with the big plays but reality was we never threatened him anywhere near as much as we could have.

I can recall 3-4 shots of note. All the great stuff the Jets done was outside the box in the build up play. That shit dont win games. It what you do in the bix that matters and Mus**** set his side up to limit our opportunities in the box.

Credit where it is due. We were outwitted by Mus**** tactically
    GFs are about results not free flowing football.

He chose a method to achieve the result and his logic actually is sound as to why to play that way against us

How trash was Leeroy George?
    Was he typical trash or extra trash befitting occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    How trash was Leeroy George?
    Was he typical trash or extra trash befitting occasion?
    Extra trash. Should have kicked the ball a second earlier and he might have avoided this whole VAR fiasco. George out.

I can not see any logic or sense in argument that states Muscat outwitted merrick.

Thomas had one of the nights of his career. No way in hell would a manager be relying on their keeper to make those saves that he did. Newcastle would have been up 3 or 4-1 on another night.

The goal that was scored.. did.. make a difference. It changed the entire nature of the game.

Merrick will be ruing starting with johnny k over not giving pato a chance to wreck their back 4.

We should have won that game on our first half alone.. but that is football.

I am incredibly excited about the future of the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by rhysd View Post
    I can not see any logic or sense in argument that states Muscat outwitted merrick.
    Don’t worry, there only seems to be one person peddling that nonsense.

From his “logic” Merrick should instruct Roy & Kanta to ‘accidently’ break the legs of Kosta & George and take them out of the game, so MV lose their major attacking threats and then we can claim we tactically outsmarted them.

Some interesting points coming from Kozzie and Bozza on A-League Hour last night.

* On field officials were not told there were technical issues although the rules state they should be.
    * The VAR rules state there should be a screen from the host broadcaster in the room as backup.
    * Kozzie believes we don't know the full story yet and everyone is trying to cover their arse. He also said Zetter has previous form.
    * Bozza agrees VAR in its current form cannot continue. He also thinks the current story is a ruse and wants to know if it has happened before and we don't know about it.

FFA hoping Socceroos and a bit of time will take the heat off and it will be swept under the carpet.

Oh....we did get 1 and 2 in Goal of the Year....Ninkos "greatest A-League goal ever" came third.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 08-05-2018 at 09:03 AM.

Will be interested to hear if further story around what happened with the VAR incident comes out.

Were they the two Nabbout goals? Or McGree's came second?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Will be interested to hear if further story around what happened with the VAR incident comes out.

Were they the two Nabbout goals? Or McGree's came second?
    McGree first, Nabbout v WSW second.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Dont for a second think i just disagreeing for the sake of it.I genuinely believe thatMus**** outwitted Ernie

He knew perfectly well how Bert wanted to play
    He had some weapons to play that way against us but chose not to
    He dragged the game to a place we were not good at and then beat us at it.

There are many ways to skin a cat and he chose his way to win

Mus**** could have set Victree up to go toe to toe with us throwing the big ones
    In Berisha Barbarousis Plagues mate and Troisi he had the artillery to do so

But he chose to not go there.

He chose to turn it into a grind and backed his side to be better at it than us.
    They were.

If things had of turned to shit he could easily have chosen to take the brakes off and unleashed the big names asnd stretched the game and gambled to get back in it that way

Everyone keeps hammering on about there goal keeper. Sure he made a couple of great saves and was a deserving MoM for coming up with the big plays but reality was we never threatened him anywhere near as much as we could have.

I can recall 3-4 shots of note. All the great stuff the Jets done was outside the box in the build up play. That shit dont win games. It what you do in the bix that matters and Mus**** set his side up to limit our opportunities in the box.

Credit where it is due. We were outwitted by Mus**** tactically
    GFs are about results not free flowing football.

He chose a method to achieve the result and his logic actually is sound as to why to play that way against us
    You are completely wrong here Member. Muscat's lads played exactly the way Ernie and everyone else of sound mind would have expected them to.
    Outwitted suggests Muscat did something both unexpected and spectacular - and nothing could be further from the truth.
    The only thing Ernie got wrong was he had too much faith in the referees and officials to stop the niggling / gamesmanship tactics of Victory.
    If it was an ACL game there is absolutely no way 17 fouls would have been committed by Victory without a yellow being produced, nor would Berisha have stayed on the ground after that blatant elbow to Roy.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 08-05-2018 at 10:53 AM.

It still dumbfounds me that we (FFA & poor referees branch) set the standard when they sent Roy off against FC, and then can't uphold that standard in the "biggest game of the year"

You blatantly elbow a bloke in the face, deliberate or not, you deserve to be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Some interesting points coming from Kozzie and Bozza on A-League Hour last night.

* On field officials were not told there were technical issues although the rules state they should be.
    * The VAR rules state there should be a screen from the host broadcaster in the room as backup.
    * Kozzie believes we don't know the full story yet and everyone is trying to cover their arse. He also said Zetter has previous form.
    * Bozza agrees VAR in its current form cannot continue. He also thinks the current story is a ruse and wants to know if it has happened before and we don't know about it.

FFA hoping Socceroos and a bit of time will take the heat off and it will be swept under the carpet.
    Great summary, cheers. The outcome so far is just not good enough and shouldn't be accepted. Good to see more is and has to be coming out over this. As other's have said, imagine if this happened in the WC. Given FIFA "should" be watching, feeling pressure, they may not allow the FFA to go on ignoring it, so there is a "learning" if they stick with VAR. Also we deserve the whole story (but i agree don't hold my breath - i hope there are external influences / leaks on more accurately of what happened). Won't change anything for us. We get to say we were dudded, tarnishes Victree's win more but mostly peeps need to be made accountable otherwise nothing changes.

Yes, i'm still not over it, but am looking fwd.

Quote Originally Posted by gussie_l View Post
    Great summary, cheers. The outcome so far is just not good enough and shouldn't be accepted. Good to see more is and has to be coming out over this. As other's have said, imagine if this happened in the WC. Given FIFA "should" be watching, feeling pressure, they may not allow the FFA to go on ignoring it, so there is a "learning" if they stick with VAR. Also we deserve the whole story (but i agree don't hold my breath - i hope there are external influences / leaks on more accurately of what happened). Won't change anything for us. We get to say we were dudded, tarnishes Victree's win more but mostly peeps need to be made accountable otherwise nothing changes.

Yes, i'm still not over it, but am looking fwd.
    I know it's not going to change any outcomes, I've accepted that its all done now, it just feels like there needs to be some sort of culpability other than "oh yeah, woops, our bad, sorry"..
    Does anyone know an email address I can perhaps write a "frustrated/dejected football fan" email to FFA? Their website, unsurprisingly, is pretty sh!t and lacking..

This has been ongoing situation all season long where nobody at the FFA is being held to account for negligence and incompetence. Week in week out from one cock up to the next blokes at FFA HQ remain in there positions.

It astounds me this can be the case, in most other organisations someone or some people would have been moved on by now. There is a real protection racket mentality going on at the FFA.

Things need to change quick smart down there and Ben Wilson and David Gallop should be the first frog marched out the door but this will not happen. Can't believe some of these incompetent imbeciles will get the experience of a lifetime at the World Cup all on the company credit card funded by us.

Disgrace the way these incompetent muppets run the game. You could make a pretty good case for these blokes being derelict in there duty.
    Last edited by 380; 08-05-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Two extremes are ruining the league for me.

1. Overly physical play is being encouraged rather than penalised by referees.
    2. Simulation / Diving from the same teams that are excessively physical is being rewarded.

The main culprits being SFC, Victory, and City - who are also the three highest profile / cashed up teams in the league.

IF playing attractive football means finishing 2nd I'll take that every day over a league or grand final win.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Two extremes are ruining the league for me.

1. Overly physical play is being encouraged rather than penalised by referees.
    2. Simulation / Diving from the same teams that are excessively physical is being rewarded.

The main culprits being SFC, Victory, and City - who are also the three highest profile / cashed up teams in the league.

IF playing attractive football means finishing 2nd I'll take that every day over a league or grand final win.
    I brought this up when hacks like Golec & Alex Grant were cutting down Arzani. Don't get me wrong - Arzani knows how to find the dirt without too much persuasion, but those two made a point of targeting him early in their matches and were leaving a lot in every challenge they made with the aim to take him out of the game. It wasn't subtle, yet the referee seemed completely blind to it. These weren't faint ankle taps either, they were shoulders into the sternum after heading or kicking the ball away.