Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: 17/18 HAL Grand Final | Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory | Sat 5th May 2018 750pm

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

You dont do what Roy done.

He let his team mates down. He let the coach down. He let thge fans down
    You cant be serious.

Roy doesnt try a dangerous kick at 0-0. He is a hero for inflicting some comedic pain on the victards.

Gfs can get fkd. Not worth the hype when the ffa have to find excuses to get a team up.

Sticking with comp games, semis are for tv maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Bring on next season, Plenty to look forward too IMO. How many of us would have taken a home GF this season before the season proper kicked off in a heartbeat.Wonderful season all things considered.
    Spot on. Give it another few days/weeks/a month for the GF hurt to subside and more people will get back to this point.

Ernie Merrick post match presser giving it to some journo
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

So, apparently the VAR software had a failure "about 30 seconds before Victory scored" and was "restored a few minutes after"
    Hilarious... after this, I don't feel so bad about losing a GF anymore. It is pretty clear we were never going to win.
    Being the best team on the park is the real result: the trophy is meaningless.

I found my ticket in the end: 120$ on tmresale for a seat right behind the Jets bench, row A. 3 hrs before the game. Phew.
    Sh*t view, I moved to a GA area for the 2nd half

Good atmosphere but "cold" crowd: only reason why the whole stadium was not booing after the VAR mistake was exposed on the big screen is... about 10000 of them didn't know what "offside" is

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    It is pretty clear we were never going to win.
    Good atmosphere but "cold" crowd: only reason why the whole stadium was not booing after the VAR mistake was exposed on the big screen is... about 10000 of them didn't know what "offside" is
    Spot on. maybe 15k.

Its the "you're just lucky to be here" crowd. But i dd see lots of passion from many of the one timers so im not complain.

Pretty happy so many jumped on board from this league town.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    You cant be serious.

Roy doesnt try a dangerous kick at 0-0. He is a hero for inflicting some comedic pain on the victards.

Gfs can get fkd. Not worth the hype when the ffa have to find excuses to get a team up.

Sticking with comp games, semis are for tv maybe.
    Have heard that Roy doesn't remember much/anything after copping the elbow from "Bess"...
    Not condoning the kung-fu stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if procedures for concussion were looked in to in the future.. (ala the thugby where he wouldn't have been allowed to come back on)

As for the rest of the game..
    I don't want to get too far in to the whole VAR horsesh!t.. Absolute fvcking joke.. I was sitting in Bay 52, directly in line with it.. Ball goes in "Nah, old mate blondie was offside when he headed it back, you watch VAR bring it back, we are all good.... Yep, any minute now.. Here it comes........And..... WTF??"..

A few points:
    - Member, if you can't see what everyones saying, then there is something wrong.. It DID change the game.. Yes we had chances, but it changed the game. Victory didn't have to attack anymore, they clogged everything up, compressed and didn't need to go forward. They wasted time, fell over at the drop of a hat, they ran the clock out and did it well. Yes, we would have done the same and ground out a result, but they got that opportunity BECAUSE of the refereeing error..
    - Why weren't blokes like Ange's Rentboy (Troisi) and Berisha carded or looked in to for some of their tackles/elbows? There was a sliding, studs-up tackle from-behind early in the first half that Troisi did which was a yellow any day of the week, except GF day..
    - The first half, we were all over them. We used the width of the pitch and kept pushing. Second half, everyone was so close together you could have thrown a blanket over the lot..
    - Vargas looked a class above whenever he was on the ball.. Dimi and McGree looked dangerous each time they got it, however they were taken out of play in second half.. Poor old Johnny K had a rough night.. Even Georgie wasn't having the greatest game and was subbed pretty much to make sure he wasn't sent.. Poor old Hoffa and his open goal chances..

Overall, it hurts like buggery to have lost like that. However if you'd told me at the start of the season that we would be playing in the grand final, let alone actually hosting it in Nyeeeeeeeeewy, I would have taken it in a heartbeat..
    I'm trying so hard to be "silver linings and all that" but can't help but feel disappointed and cut that it went down the way it did..
    As others have said, perhaps it is karma for the gypos ten years ago, perhaps not..
    That's football, can't wait to do it all again next season..

Heard bits of Berisha on ABC News, something that sounded like "yes it was offside but this team deserves to win because we work so hard all year".

That's alright then.

This is now a VAR issue - has anyone heard from VARk Bosnich at all? Can't wait for Hilly to get stuck in on the Fox pod tomorrow.

If something like this happens in the World Cup it will be mayhem.

The thing is I don't believe the FFA story for a second - I'm thinking it is something as stupid as Zetter not paying much attention and rushing (as Kenny Lowe said), or he got the teams mixed up and thought white was the Jets, or he was in the poo palace and got caught out. Surely there must have been a backup plan incase of equipment failure practiced a number of times over the last 12 months?

No VAR and this conversation would not be happening.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 07-05-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I don't want to get too far in to the whole VAR horsesh!t.. Absolute fvcking joke.. I was sitting in Bay 52, directly in line with it.. Ball goes in "Nah, old mate blondie was offside when he headed it back, you watch VAR bring it back, we are all good.... Yep, any minute now.. Here it comes........And..... WTF??"..

A few points:
    - Member, if you can't see what everyones saying, then there is something wrong.. It DID change the game.. Yes we had chances, but it changed the game. Victory didn't have to attack anymore, they clogged everything up, compressed and didn't need to go forward. They wasted time, fell over at the drop of a hat, they ran the clock out and did it well. Yes, we would have done the same and ground out a result, but they got that opportunity BECAUSE of the refereeing error..
    - Why weren't blokes like Ange's Rentboy (Troisi) and Berisha carded or looked in to for some of their tackles/elbows? There was a sliding, studs-up tackle from-behind early in the first half that Troisi did which was a yellow any day of the week, except GF day..
    - The first half, we were all over them. We used the width of the pitch and kept pushing. Second half, everyone was so close together you could have thrown a blanket over the lot..
    - Vargas looked a class above whenever he was on the ball.. Dimi and McGree looked dangerous each time they got it, however they were taken out of play in second half.. Poor old Johnny K had a rough night.. Even Georgie wasn't having the greatest game and was subbed pretty much to make sure he wasn't sent.. Poor old Hoffa and his open goal chances..

Overall, it hurts like buggery to have lost like that. However if you'd told me at the start of the season that we would be playing in the grand final, let alone actually hosting it in Nyeeeeeeeeewy, I would have taken it in a heartbeat..
    I'm trying so hard to be "silver linings and all that" but can't help but feel disappointed and cut that it went down the way it did..
    As others have said, perhaps it is karma for the gypos ten years ago, perhaps not..
    I think you've summed up the night, and our season, perfectly.

New season usually starts with a GF rematch doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    New season usually starts with a GF rematch doesn't it?
    Would be a good way to get some punters back to MJS to kick the new season off.

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Would be a good way to get some punters back to MJS to kick the new season off.
    Great for marketing - the "rematch" we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by mic22 View Post
    I found my ticket in the end: 120$ on tmresale for a seat right behind the Jets bench, row A. 3 hrs before the game. Phew.
    Sh*t view, I moved to a GA area for the 2nd half
    Good to see you managed to get a ticket - the VAR controversy will paper over the number of empty seats in the stadium and inability to reach capacity.

Took a few days to digest.

My main gripe with the game was the coward of a Referee they put in charge. If he had a pair he would have dolled out a few yellows within the first 20 mins to settle the crap down and Victory would have been forced to actually try to pass the ball rather than hoof it up field and niggle us into playing like crap.

The VAR effectively nullified the result for history's sake but the spectacle was ruined by the referee. I don't think the VAR decision was made to hand Victory the win, I think the referee was given a directive to lean the playing field in Victory's way otherwise we would have ran rings around them all game and won 4-0. They way we started that game, no matter how good Thomas was he would have been breached.

Salty i know, but i'll survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post

A few points:

Totally disagree

If the goal didnt come in the 9th minute Mus**** had his team set up to defend, disrupt the game and wait for a chance for Barbarousis Berisha Troisi or Plagues mate Leroy to take

Tactically he set up this way in minute 1 and the goal didnt change his strategy

End of the day Mus**** tactically outwitted Bert who failed to tweak much at all to change the game and its course

The decision to start neither Pato or Champness to offer genuine width against 2 makeshift fullbacks was a pretty bad call
    By the time they come on they were unable to make enough of an impact

Quote Originally Posted by The Hacker View Post
    Is this karma for the James Holland handball 10yrs ago.
    That's where my head went yesterday.

Surely we have paid our due for that...surely after the last 10 years of crap we're able to move on. Hopefully that's our curse done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

I'm still gutted, still feel hollow.

I immediately moved on from the VAR debarcle but everything that's come out from it post game has me shaking my head. The goal stands if we're in a non-VAR world and serves the argument why we needed technology. Now we have it, it ****s up and serves the argument to get rid of it! I don't like it personally.

We were good for a goal in the first half but couldn't do what we've done all season and find the back of the net. Second, Victory were the better team. Lawrence Thomas had a blinder and deserved his JMM. An under rated shot stopper. Either team could have won it and I agree that had Gillett thrown a card around earlier the nature of the game could have changed but he didn't. The breaks in play killed any ability for us to gain momentum.

The crowd were quiet but I was in Bay 60 and we were trying our hardest!

I'll remember the performances and goals this season, but still doesn't feel great.

Oh, and Roy O'Donovan - what a dope. That's a shocking challenge and he will get ruled out for a few weeks, affecting his availability at the start of the next season. We need to get an additional striker.

I now fear the dismantling. I expect Dimi and Stevie U-G to get a move overseas. I think we will keep one of Vargas and Pato. Can't see McGree coming back (though I hope he does). That's our middle that needs replacing.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 07-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

And to whoever started a petition to have the game replayed - FFS. Don't be so daft - you make us look like many of the clueless fans in the crowd on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Totally disagree

If the goal didnt come in the 9th minute Mus**** had his team set up to defend, disrupt the game and wait for a chance for Barbarousis Berisha Troisi or Plagues mate Leroy to take

Tactically he set up this way in minute 1 and the goal didnt change his strategy

End of the day Mus**** tactically outwitted Bert who failed to tweak much at all to change the game and its course

The decision to start neither Pato or Champness to offer genuine width against 2 makeshift fullbacks was a pretty bad call
    By the time they come on they were unable to make enough of an impact
    Outwitted??

Muscats tactics kept the score at 0-0. How does that mean he outwitted us?

I know you are trying to play up the "Member disagrees with everything" schtick you have going on, but Victory didn't play well on Saturday. They couldn't pass well, they didn't beat us on the counter much at all considering we were in all out attack mode for 80 minutes, they defended well but only inside their own box. I can't see how you can praise them for anything other than Thomas having a blinder in goals (which isn't really Muscats fault), fouling us into submission and then riding their luck.

The fact that we joined in on the shitty tackles and then stopped playing our game is a massive negative. But that can't be attributed to Victards and Muscat. We were maybe naive thinking that playing better than them for 90 minutes would win us the game, but Ernie set us up well enough to win.

They got lucky and we didn't deal with the niggle and long ball style of game well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I found it funny listening to Muscat's presser that he said they were keen to play an attractive brand of football as well, but they were "prepared for" the aerial assault that Newcastle apparently threw at them. He had several goes at us for not playing good football, including saying stuff like "there were more headers than passes out there tonight", and that Merrick's comments about wanting to play free flowing football were a bit of a laugh.

Bit rich considering they really didn't offer that much from a football sense in the game other than to abuse the long leash the referee gave them in constantly breaking up the play.
    It seemed to work and unfortunately Ernie wasn't able to get the lads to maintain their composure in the second half, and the occasion got to them a bit.

It stings to happen like this - but there has to be a loser on the night, and we put up a decent enough performance - let alone the season we've had.

Reading the Dimi "family" article in the Herald from Turbo's links, I'd like to think he's relatively settled here for now. I think Stevie still has some learning to do and hope he would be keen for another year under Merrick. Majority of the squad would surely have had to enjoyed this season immensely and would take something big for them to want to move on.

Vargas is reportedly keen to stay on - but will come down to talks between his agent and the club. I'd love to see him stay after his showings in the finals.
    Pato I can give or take, won't be too upset if he goes but would be happy if he stayed as well.
    McGree has grown immensely, given us drive forward and goal threat as well as being versatile. He will be a big miss.